• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Ty4on

Well that's too bad. From here on out screens will be 2.5d since they are far more ergonomic than the sharp edges.
It's seriously a deal breaker to me. Those swipes from the sides are so important in today's Android and much more comfortable without a sharp edge.

On a completely unrelated note I'm approaching 3 hours on screen time on my Nexus 4 which I've never seen before :p
It is obvious power efficiency was not given a priority or flat out unfinished in this chipset. It's fast for 2012, but everything uses a lot of power. 3G modem power consumption is especially bad and really heats the device up.

Standby time is really good when it's got no internet or in low power mode and really bad when it's not.

I know I'm super LTTP, but I got to use a Nexus 6P today because Best Buy had one set up and I went in to see if they had any Axon 7's. God damn is that a good looking phone. It felt great in my hand and the screen was so gorgeous to look at. I kind of wish I didn't let the whole bendgate thing get the better of me and bought one several months ago when I was originally looking at it.

j-wood

I know I'm super LTTP, but I got to use a Nexus 6P today because Best Buy had one set up and I went in to see if they had any Axon 7's. God damn is that a good looking phone. It felt great in my hand and the screen was so gorgeous to look at. I kind of wish I didn't let the whole bendgate thing get the better of me and bought one several months ago when I was originally looking at it.

Yep, i bought mine a few months ago. By far my favorite android phone.

Noema

It's a super sexy phone. It's sleek without calling too much attention to itself, unlike the newer galaxies or iphones which look kinda gaudy in my opinion.

Yes, it's probably the bendiest phone in existence, but unless you go out of your way to bend it or put it in your back pocket it's not really an issue.

Hopefully it comes down in price to $300ish after the 2016 Nexuses come out.

zewone

I'm looking at the Redmi Pro as a secondary device. I'm intersted in the dual camera set up. And it starts at about $225.
6fTRLhh.jpg

Jeffrey

I still think there is zero reason to get a 1440 p screen device if you aren't interested in vr.

I just can't tell the difference at normal viewing distance.

LeleSocho

Banned
i wanna see the receipts.

Rendering the screen at 1080p requires less processing power than rendering the screen at 1440p. Less processing power = more battery life. Isn't that what Samsung's game tuner does?

Not only that, even the display itself drains less battery power because of the lower resolution.
Maybe for 5.5 might not be completely optimal because you could some tiny differences but at already 5 inches anything more than 1080p is stupid.

Rendering the screen at 1080p requires less processing power than rendering the screen at 1440p. Less processing power = more battery life. Isn't that what Samsung's game tuner does?

so to be clear, after no doubt googling actual battery benchmarks and seeing that 1440p screened phones are at the top of the battery life charts, you a're mow moving the goalposts from phones with 1080p screens having better battery life to rendering at lower resolution means lower power usage? is that's what's going on here?

Hitta93

Banned
Well let's not forget when Samsung was a joke too. Early touchwiz.

The shitty fake leather.
No doubt.
I'm looking at the Redmi Pro as a secondary device. I'm intersted in the dual camera set up. And it starts at about $225.
Honor 5X maybe a better option.
I still think there is zero reason to get a 1440 p screen device if you aren't interested in vr.

I just can't tell the difference at normal viewing distance.
I just like big numbers.

Asgaro

Seriousl, I think next year's phones should all have 3500mah batteries. I don't need for phones to be any thinner.

I think even 4000 mAh should already become the standard. Xiaomi already has quite a few available and they don't look bulky to me.
(And even if they were a bit bulky, I would still consider them btw. Battery life is key.)

mackattk

so to be clear, after no doubt googling actual battery benchmarks and seeing that 1440p screened phones are at the top of the battery life charts, you a're mow moving the goalposts from phones with 1080p screens having better battery life to rendering at lower resolution means lower power usage? is that's what's going on here?

That game tuner thing - I simply used it as an example that rendering at a lower resolution is one of the options that the S7 phones uses to improve battery life.

I'm not trying to move any goalposts here. I am not trying to compare any phones against one another. I meant that all things being considered equal - rendering at native resolution with a 1080p screen uses less battery than a 1440p screen. Don't read too much into it, because it was just an offhand remark and I thought that phone looked nice. I'll edit my original post because this is ridiculous, didn't realize it was going to spark a debate.

Saiyan-Rox

So OnePlus actually did something on time for once and released Dash charging source so now you can use it on CM13 etc

Least they can keep some promises

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Definitely louder than the HTC 10. I don't have V10, so I'm not quite sure

edit: I don't like that it doesn't show cover art when using play music. That's a layup you missed, ZTE

Definitely louder than the HTC 10. I don't have V10, so I'm not quite sure

edit: I don't like that it doesn't show cover art when using play music. That's a layup you missed, ZTE

Damn the 10 is already loud as fuck. I tend to have the volume at either half volume or less most of the time.

I'm more interested in the quality although it's probably harder to determine that.

I use Google Play music to download albums. If I want to show off the audio capabilities, which streaming service will give me the best sounding downloads? And do they offer a free trial?

rc213

So who has this beast phone in stock? Want to try it out and see how much of an improvement the 820 is versus the Nexus 6p which runs hot just running a bit of Pokemon go in the summer.

Jeffrey

how has ZTE been with updating software in their older flagships?
Seems OK. Marshmallow was early 2016 and they do the monthly security updates.

Expect nougat to come to 7 quickly though. Daydream is a big bullet point of axon 7 and n is needed.

No Love

Banned
So who has this beast phone in stock? Want to try it out and see how much of an improvement the 820 is versus the Nexus 6p which runs hot just running a bit of Pokemon go in the summer.

Go to Best Buy. That's where I preordered mine. Give them the SKU 5462201 at the Store Pickup.

Top Bottom