• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Saiyan-Rox

I'm actually tempted to full restore my GF Nexus 4 to pretty much brand new quality....Never use it but the temptation is real.

Jeffrey

The annoying thing about the axon 7 is the default dpi is way too high. Time to play around with adb.

Anyone else have youtube issues? Seeing a lot of videos not having 60fps or even things over 480p. Weird.

Saiyan-Rox

The annoying thing about the axon 7 is the default dpi is way too high. Time to play around with adb.

Anyone else have youtube issues? Seeing a lot of videos not having 60fps or even things over 480p. Weird.

The OP3 has the same issue. 1080P will eventually kick in but it's Google who needs to whitelist the 60FPS I think

Cake Boss

Banned
Hey guys I am switching phones next week. What's the best backup app that backs app all my apps, browser settings etc. And easy to transfer over.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state

Yeah, I had the YouTube issue. It fixed itself in a day or so

Jeffrey

Yeah the default brightness of the axon is way too low had to crank it pretty high.

First USB c device for me. Is it just me or is the connection really tight? Have to put a bit of umph to separate the cable from the phone.

Phone is still on may security update. Hope ZTE is on this stuff.

Fbh

Mabye someone here can help me.

Since about a week my S6 does no longer get along with my Wifi at home. It connects but it's extremely slow. Entering GAF, which usually takes 1-2 seconds, can at times take 20+ now, Skype are having connection issues and Youtube will sometimes not even load.

The thing is:

- My Wifi works fine with every other device in my house (PC's, Ps4, TV and other phones)
- My phone works fine on every other Wifi connection (at Work, friends/family house)

So it's not an overall issue of my phone or an overall issue of my Wifi but rather some issue between this specific connection and specific phone.

Any ideas what could be the issue?. A few days ago I started to get DNS erros on my phone. I rebooted the router and I don't get them anymore but it's still really slow

Asgaro

This lines up almost perfectly with the rumor as to why the z3 didn't get DP5.

Yeah, this is what a Sony dev had to say (on the Concept ROM community). We'll bug him again in about 2 weeks. 😏

jboYsY2.png

Yeah the default brightness of the axon is way too low had to crank it pretty high.

First USB c device for me. Is it just me or is the connection really tight? Have to put a bit of umph to separate the cable from the phone.

It is definitely snug.

I like being able to switch ring tones to downloaded songs without the use of an app. Neat feature.

Jeffrey

dropped the dpi to 560 like I have on other phones. Looks so much better.

Code:
adb shell wm density 560

haven't had any issues with the stock apps.

The ZTE Axon looks absolutely ridiculous O_O. I want to pull the trigger, but I am a little scared about long term support for the phone. I wish there was a dev community behind it like Cyanogenmod. Every phone I've ever purchased I end up going with a custom rom to stick with the latest version of Android, and ironically, I have not upgraded since my Note 3.

The Axon has almost everything I want:
-OLED
-Front Facing Speakers
-Near Stock Android
-Top of the line specs
-Amazing battery life

My only con is:
-Not 5.7 inches or greater. I'd prefer a 6 inch device :/.

The screen size and dev support are the only things keeping me away. If the bootloader can be unlocked and an effort by Cyanogen/Omni/Slim Roms comes into the scene - I'll probably pick this up.

This, though everyone with this phone should be able to at least make an update to Android 7.0 once it's officially released. Only problem for me with this phone is future dev support for it.

Right now for me, I'm on the fence between this phone & the Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge (because of Samsung Pay). Don't know if Samsung will allow people to make an update to Android 7.0 or not.
But I got to have those front-facing speakers, though

Jeffrey

This, though everyone with this phone should be able to at least make an update to Android 7.0 once it's officially released. Only problem for me with this phone is future dev support for it.

Right now for me, I'm on the fence between this phone & the Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge (because of Samsung Pay). Don't know if Samsung will allow people to make an update to Android 7.0 or not.

the benefit of a $400 flagship phone vs a samsung is that, even if their updates aren't timely, it wouldn't matter that much in comparison because you can get the new axon or oneplus every year at a bit more price than a new samsung edge every 2 years.

I'm curious if axon 7 will get Nougat this year. They seem to have VR being a huge part of the axon 7 initiative so... probably in 2016?

rc213

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyP4Wr8ApSo

Axon 7 Q&A. Really loving the answers but of course saying all the right things and following through are two different things.

Taken from XDA, Some key points:
So, they had the ZTE USA webinar talking about the release.

In no particular order (and I'm sure I missed some points since I'm going from memory):
they listened to the beta testers and community chatter and added the capacitive buttons back into the US base model
this change is what delayed the release slightly
gold model will be released first (July 27th) followed by the quartz grey (Aug 16th/17th -- BestBuy and webinar disagreed on date) -- no plans for the silver one in the US
pre-orders are available now at ZTE (their website and eBay), Amazon, Best Buy, Newegg, and B&H for $399
notification LED is present and RGB (he specifically remembered red and green being there)
they've heard the feedback on the bootloader unlocking and been in discussions with R&D about the best way to do it -- they said it's an "when" not an "if", but it won't be at launch because that would meant another delay
it will have Tap to Wake
they've been working on the imaging code constantly -- every update they've done has had changes for it
it is band compatible with Sprint and Verizon but will not work with them at launch -- if they can get it certified, it will probably only need an OTA to work with them
updates will be on a monthly schedule to line up with Google and to not over annoy users with frequent OTA updates (the only exception was for a critical security updates from Google)
they are planning the 6 GB/128 GB model to be released in the US at some point in the future, but they wouldn't commit to any time frame
they are working with Google on getting the phone DayDream certified
they are committed to an Android Nougat release as soon as possible but wouldn't comment on a date (he seemed to imply they were working with Google on this to get it out more quickly)
microSD slot was limited to 128 GB [although, I see no reason why it couldn't use higher than that, since most of the 32 GB limited ones work fine with larger capacity]
they will be posting the rest of the answers on the ZTE USA Community Forum over the next few days, including if the retail partners are included in the Passport 2.0 program [I'm not sure what distinction was being made here, since they had already said the full warranty would apply from any retailer]

Went to a different Best Buy, Guy in their mobile dept had never heard of the phone. Seemed offended I suggested he should be aware of phones being sold by Best Buy that are about to be released.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Why is she abusing him? This has gone too far.

Google Fit automatically tracks my walks but not my bike riding. It actually did track my bike riding once but then it stopped, really weird.

Nexus 6P.

Moreche

I really want my Microsoft band 2 to work with Google fit but it doesn't so I'm waiting for the new Google watch to release.

Quite digging the updated Google fit. Bright, colourful and nice, yet stylised illustrations.
I've had the update for a while and still don't like then. It's too much clutter and not really clean. And while stylized, I think the illustrations are really ugly.

Groof

I've had the update for a while and still don't like then. It's too much clutter and not really clean. And while stylized, I think the illustrations are really ugly.

What part do you think is cluttered?

Only thing I don't like so far is the constant reminder that I don't have activity detection turned on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyP4Wr8ApSo

Axon 7 Q&A. Really loving the answers but of course saying all the right things and following through are two different things.

Taken from XDA, Some key points:

Went to a different Best Buy, Guy in their mobile dept had never heard of the phone. Seemed offended I suggested he should be aware of phones being sold by Best Buy that are about to be released.

This is some great stuff. Thank you. I'm really thrilled with my AXON already.

Jeffrey

Kinda wish there was a nexus version of the axon 7 lol. Pretty much all the custom stuff seems worse than stock Android. Is there a way to quickly access the camera?

Hahaha, I installed it last night and played with it for a bit. While watching Stranger Things, no less.

I sort of overdosed on 80s after a bit so I uninstalled it.
I've still got it installed, mainly for the wallpapers. There are some pretty great ones in it.

And Stranger Things is so awesome. I think it's the best thing Netflix has done so far. Watched it all in a day when it first came out.

I'm using the phone on 100 percent brightness. Is there a way to go higher?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
This is the first year I'm not excited for new Nexus rumors. My 6P is the first and only phone I've ever owned where it just works. Finally. I don't worry about battery life or spotty camera like I did the Nexus 6. I'm seriously not upgrading, guys.

What a great phone. Yes, the 810 is a problem. But no, my usage is such that the 810 is only an uncommon pain when multitasking hard, like when I travel. Maps, camera, browsing, messaging. Otherwise, day to day, it is fine.

Groof

This is the first year I'm not excited for new Nexus rumors. My 6P is the first and only phone I've ever owned where it just works. Finally. I don't worry about battery life or spotty camera like I did the Nexus 6. I'm seriously not upgrading, guys.

What a great phone. Yes, the 810 is a problem. But no, my usage is such that the 810 is only an uncommon pain when multitasking hard, like when I travel. Maps, camera, browsing, messaging. Otherwise, day to day, it is fine.

Agree on all points except this. I still have to charge it some time during mid day.

Limit

I hope samsung is willing to throw in a free gear vr with every note 7. Give me some reason to spend circa 900 bucks on it when their own phone released months ago has the same specs as this one; and for a few hundred bucks cheaper.

Dobsie

But what if the new nexus turns out to have no headphone jack

Bboy AJ

But what if the new nexus turns out to have no headphone jack
Let's see what wireless looks like a year from now. Everyone will call me the Messiah again.

Asgaro

Savage. Enjoy your ban
on /r/androidcirclejerk

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Getting occasional stuttering from these axon preorder wireless headphones.

Wireless still has a way to go.
Haven't even opened the "$200" pair with my Newegg order

Speaking of, what does everyone think of the sound quality?

Hitta93

Banned

Screen size/design is the only issue I had with the 6P.

Just slightly too big for my hand.

Top Bottom