• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Jeffrey

i just don't get how people can pay iphone prices for an android phone when stuff like opo and axon and other chinese stuff exist.

kinda hard to get installment plans for those though.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
nexus2cee_drawer_loop_closeup1_thumb.gif

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/0...cher-that-may-debut-on-the-2016-nexus-phones/

tons more info/gifs at link
1fsQgMA.jpg

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
i just don't get how people can pay iphone prices for an android phone when stuff like opo and axon and other chinese stuff exist.

Which of those run iOS? Which have an Apple Store for problems with the phone? Which seamlessly integrate with an iPad or macbook?

That's why.

Quasar

Which of those run iOS? Which have an Apple Store for problems with the phone? Which seamlessly integrate with an iPad or macbook?

That's why.

That doesnt explain why people pay those prices for android gear.

For apple I can see it in part due to the longevity of OS updates, which are quite a bit longer than even the nexus guarantee. That's the only way I've been able to consider paying double or more than what I'd normally pay for a phone. Not saying I am..but its on the table, I'm just waiting to see the new Nexi and Google Home to see how gimped it is on iOS.

I guess amusingly its on the table simply because of how much of a better health focus Apple is making compared to Google. A pretty niche thing in the grand scheme of things that might just push me over to Apple.

Though maybe I'll just buy a iPod Touch instead, which also fully supports Apple Health.

Quasar

That's actually not a good thing. The updates are usually one generation too much and my iPhone 3G and 4S were barely usable before I upgraded.

Probably true. My iOS experience is limited to iPads and I went iPad OG -> Ipad with Retina (3rd Gen) -> ipad Air 2. That's 2-3 years between upgrades.

So I've not really been stuck on old Apple hardware where OS updates are pushing it too hard.

Jeffrey

That's why.

I'm just using apple stuff as premium price point, When there are nexus devices with good updates and ok power, cheap chinese devices with top of the line specs, and the plethora of midrange android phones for $200 or less thats decent enough for most people...

What is the reason to spend $600+ on an android device?

It's not like samsung service is that much better than other places (have heard shares of horror stories with RMA).

Samsung's edge screen is sexy though, not sure what other companies got though.

Bboy AJ

I'm just using apple stuff as premium price point, When there are nexus devices with good updates and ok power, cheap chinese devices with top of the line specs, and the plethora of midrange android phones for $200 or less thats decent enough for most people...

It's not like samsung service is that much better than other places (have heard shares of horror stories with RMA).

Oh, then I totally agree with you. I don't see the point, either. It's iPhone or Nexus, imo. Samsung... Eh, I guess. LG and HTC flagships are sent to die. I don't see their purpose. Those companies are bleeding because they don't have any real strategy other than "me too" and their me too isn't good enough.

Oh yes the swipe up for app drawer is nice. Get rid of that extra icon on the dock.

Yeah nice to become standard, but I've been using that function for the last couple of years with Nova Launcher allowing me to get away without the app drawer button.

Oh, then I totally agree with you. I don't see the point, either. It's iPhone or Nexus, imo. Samsung... Eh, I guess. LG and HTC flagships are sent to die. I don't see their purpose. Those companies are bleeding because they don't have any real strategy other than "me too" and their me too isn't good enough.

It's all market perception though, Samsung are huge and their flagships always sell well. Xiaomi is a little known company here in the UK, I picked up the Mi5 simply because it has great specs and a nice size. But yeah I agree that the big names are charging way too much for what they offer. I got a 128GB/4GB Mi5 for £330 that's a heck of a lot cheaper than other flagship offerings (except OP3)

tzare

Note series are unique. Even if this year do not seem to have a better SOC than s7, because the only option seems to be an over clocked exynos or 820...
I agree there isn't room for many premium Android devices but it makes sense as long people pay that money for iPhones. Android flagships deliver comparable specs and experience so... Why not?
I wish note was cheaper but it has no direct competition.

Reckoner

Stumbled across TechRadar's battery test and it's insane the endurance of the S7 Edge. Like five times better than the 6S Plus on video playback.

Is it really that good on every day usage?

catmincer

I bought a Huawei Mate 8 for a good 30% cheaper than a note 5 and it's amazing. I love the screen, the battery life and the camera isn't shit. Emui sucks but a launcher fixes that. I wouldn't spend heaps on a phone ever again.

Mindwipe

Sony have making the only small flagship. But the reason the others are in trouble is because of the lack of distinguishing features. That said, quite a lot of the cheaper Chinese devices have weak cameras.

MrJames

EVLeaks retweeted this...
Samsung will be offering a choice between a free Gear VR and a 256GB microSD card to customers who pre-order the Galaxy Note 7.
https://twitter.com/Faryaab/status/759114197594701825

Also, the new Gear VR with USB-C.
https://twitter.com/PhoneProbe/status/760290365068943360

I hope the free Fit 2 doesn't kill off getting a free GearVR or 256GB microSD card. I'd much rather have VR or the card.

Quasar

Sony have making the only small flagship. But the reason the others are in trouble is because of the lack of distinguishing features. That said, quite a lot of the cheaper Chinese devices have weak cameras.

Thats one thing I saw the axxon get dinged for. Poor low light performance.

demented

So which phone has specs of s7 edge and it's sexiness? Camera quality, battery life a d all other stuff?
Gonna buy it in a week unkess I find something better or as good for less €.

So which phone has specs of s7 edge and it's sexiness? Camera quality, battery life a d all other stuff?
Gonna buy it in a week unkess I find something better or as good for less €.

Depends what you want really, going to be hard to get something offering all similar to the S7 Edge, the new Meizu Pro 7 is rumoured to have a curved edge screen. Is that high on your list of priorities?

Do you want a stock experience or happy to get something else.

I can't recommend the Mi5 highly enough, good price for the 128GB Pro version with 4GB ram. It's relatively small, very light and blazingly fast.

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/phones/mobile-phones/xiaomi-mi5-1315657/review

http://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_mi_5-6948.php

GSM Arena Review said:
Throughout our review we found the Mi 5 acing most of the key tests, which easily puts it around the top of the flagship chain. Considering the Mi 5 costs half the price of a Galaxy S7 or similar, it's an easy recommendation.

demented

Depends what you want really, going to be hard to get something offering all similar to the S7 Edge, the new Meizu Pro 7 is rumoured to have a curved edge screen. Is that high on your list of priorities?

Do you want a stock experience or happy to get something else.

I can't recommend the Mi5 highly enough, good price for the 128GB Pro version with 4GB ram. It's relatively small, very light and blazingly fast.

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/phones/mobile-phones/xiaomi-mi5-1315657/review

http://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_mi_5-6948.php
I debated getting mi5 but I'd prefer s7. Edge I don't really care about except that it makes the phone look great, plus bigger screen and better battery compared to regular s7.

Is the new nexus coming out in September? I know it's really no longer high end budget phone since the price is kinda high end now but should be bit cheaper than s7, maybe.
If i dont like the stock rom I can put the custom one always and the fact that nexus always gets upgrades first isn't high on my list of priorities either since when I root the phone and set it up the way I like I'm to lazy to update unless it's major stuff(not in the beginning but as time goes on...)

I can get bit used s7e for like 500-550e in like new condition with 2 year warranty but even that is kinda pushing it for me but unless I can find a better deal ill I have to go for it, my z2 has both wifi and network issues that might lead me to breaking the phone (but it has been durable as hell seeing how its made of glass and I dropped it or threw it so many times and 0 scratches)
Ill check Meizu now too( checkrd but it's a long way from now in 2017)

P.s. Snapdragon 820 is minimum for me and 4gb ram preferable if not required

Based on the latest rumors, Nougat hits this month and the Nexus phones in October.

That means LG V20 may be the first phone released with Nougat.

Googy and HTC, please.

Jeffrey

I hope the Axon 8 gets a humongous battery. I really want to see a flagship non Samsung phone stake it's claim as the battery life king.

Or a different model with this option. Not really sure how much more battery you can cram in the axon 7 frame without giving up some of its other goodies.

HawkeyeIC

Based on the latest rumors, Nougat hits this month and the Nexus phones in October.

That means LG V20 may be the first phone released with Nougat.

Googy and HTC, please.

Based on how much people complain about OEMs being behind with updates, I fail to see how this is a bad thing. Google shouldn't rush a product out there.

Top Bottom