• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Furyous

I'm just using apple stuff as premium price point, When there are nexus devices with good updates and ok power, cheap chinese devices with top of the line specs, and the plethora of midrange android phones for $200 or less thats decent enough for most people...

What is the reason to spend $600+ on an android device?

My reasons:

IR blaster
Fast wireless quick charge 3.0
Regular quick charge 3.0
Proper USB -C 3.1 support
All metal design
FM radio
Manual photo and video mode
Daydream compatibility
Microsd card slut according to the great Flossy Carter slot support
Dual 14 megapixel f/1.5 cameras on the back
Wide angle back camera
10 megapixel f/1.6 front facing camera
3300+ mah battery
4 years of guaranteed updates
64/128 GB storage
4+ gb ram
32 bit DAC

tzare

mmm note 7? or maybe wait for next nexus. Waterproof and bigger battery are tempting but my note 4 still works like a charm... and camera is the best out there. Still a bit disappointing it has the same soc and camera as s7, not even small improvements here and there...

Interesting that you can make it render at 1080p to save battery life. Should be interesting how much more SOT you can get by doing that....
Maybe those features will also be ported to S7 series?

Mindwipe

Anyone want to put that allo and duo are delayed? We are well into summer, and not a single mention of them

Not really, summer always means near the end and I have zero expectation they will be out before Nougat.

Hopefully they are having a good strong think about what a clusterfuck their announcement was. But I doubt it.

Download the new Google Nexus launcher APK here

It's the real deal - comes courtesy of Antonio Luciano on Google+. Who wants to be the guinea pig?

Hs2fbRjl.png

Installed on my Nexus 6. Crashes anytime I hold down on the main screen and choose Wallpaper.

New Nexus launcher is pretty sweet. I like the removal of the app drawer button and them sort of tucking it out of the way without flat out removing it. The new Google search widget looks nice, and I also like the folders. Minus not having my Google Now tab swiping left I would say I like it a lot more than the Google Now launcher.

Jeffrey

goofing around with the axon 7 'default' theme. Man, whats with chinese manufacturers and their insistence on making ios clones?

well, looks like i'm keeping my S6 Edge a little bit longer, the Note 7 doesn't look that great ....lets see what the new Nexus or maybe iphone =X

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
well, looks like i'm keeping my S6 Edge a little bit longer, the Note 7 doesn't look that great ....lets see what the new Nexus or maybe iphone =X

You act like you're in some smartphone wasteland cause you have a S6E. God help you for having a year old highly regarded flagship.

Jeffrey

I wish I could afford upgrading a $800+ phone every year.

And no, the whole 'upgrade annually' plans are a scam, like leasing cars are.

Now a $400 phone yearly...

Well, if we can get a $400 phone like the Axon 7 every year (quality, features, etc), then all the better. For me, I'm probably a person that won't buy a Samsung, HTC (the new Nexus may be the exception), LG or Sony (which I would love to own, but they haven't made anything good in a while :/) because of their very high prices for flagship phones.

Jeffrey

Jump on Demand.

does the math work out in your favor vs depreciation of a phone?

Well, if we can get a $400 phone like the Axon 7 every year (quality, features, etc), then all the better. For me, I'm probably a person that won't buy a Samsung, HTC (the new Nexus may be the exception), LG or Sony (which I would love to own, but they haven't made anything good in a while :/) because of their very high prices for flagship phones.

I can't imagine the axon 8 to be worse (unless something goes really wrong). Oneplus also kinda figured this stuff out this year too after the flop of OP2.

Tons of kickass stuff from china as well.

I feel like unless something changes drastically, Getting a flagship android phone without importing for $400 or less is going to keep being a thing from now on, which is fantastic.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

It's not even the upgrading me that gets me.
That's totally fine. Do what you want. I'm cool with it.

It's when people have a nice phone and make it feel like agony having to wait for something better to upgrade to asap.

Jeffrey

It's not even the upgrading me that gets me.
That's totally fine. Do what you want. I'm cool with it.

It's when people have a nice phone and make it feel like agony having to wait for something better to upgrade to asap.

I...m a victim of this. I've bought every 3ds iteration, and psp and vita lol. But those are relatively cheap.

There was a time where I upgraded iphones annually, but at some point the smartphone market got stagnant, main reason why I switched android (for personal phone), to get that hit again.

this_guy

The next phone I'm waiting to see specs and pricing for is the Huawei Honor 8 (not the Honor Note 8 which has a 6+ inch screen). It's basically a cheaper Huawei P9. Good specs and smaller screen size (5.2") which I prefer. If they can price this at $300-$350 then I'm definitely interested. At $400 I think I'd still prefer Axon 7.

We're also close enough to Nexus announcements so it's best to wait and see for the next month and a half or so.

Hasney

The next phone I'm waiting to see specs and pricing for is the Huawei Honor 8 (not the Honor Note 8 which has a 6+ inch screen). It's basically a cheaper Huawei P9. Good specs and smaller screen size (5.2") which I prefer. If they can price this at $300-$350 then I'm definitely interested. At $400 I think I'd still prefer Axon 7.

We're also close enough to Nexus announcements so it's best to wait and see for the next month and a half or so.

Thank you for bringing the Note 8 to my attention, I'll have to keep my eye on it. 6.6" screen...

so-beautiful.gif

Saiyan-Rox

Giving Remix OS a go on my Pixel C just unlocking it's bootloader now so will be back with thoughts

First thought though 30s delay on boot with bootloader unlocked

EDIT: Okay for a first build it's really really solid but the fact of having all these icons on the screen really annoys me so that's the main reason i'm going back to stock.

Also now that Nougat has multiwindow this is kinda unneeded imo just need netflix to hurry and support it lol

Top Bottom