• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Saiyan-Rox

Having an issue here....after putting my Pixel back to normal it's no longer showing up in the Android opt in for the beta screen or Android Device Manager.....my phone isn't in the device manager either apparently i have no active devices.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Exclusive: Swipe fingerprint scanner to open notification shade gesture coming on new Nexuses

nexus2cee_swipescan_loop1_thumb.gif

Jeffrey

Think it's between $360 to $480 a year to lease the phone without insurance.

Not too bad. Still too much cash for me though. Especially with phones these days, dad's one plus one is still smooth. No real reason to upgrade year after year unless it's a huge issue or some sort of flaw like the 810.

So now nexus is... Who did finger print gestures before. Huawei?

Limit

So the rumor of getting the new gear vr for free with note 7 didn't pan out. Anyone thinks they will run that promotion anytime soon? I am not in need of either a watch or memory card.

So the rumor of getting the new gear vr for free with note 7 didn't pan out. Anyone thinks they will run that promotion anytime soon? I am not in need of either a watch or memory card.

i'm sure they will when sales tank.

i'm excited, mainly because they offer the S Pen, the one thing that all these other loser companies can't seem to offer on a flagship, but for everyone else, the S7 Edge has a bigger battery and 90% the same specs at a lower price.

Jeffrey

oh its not free with the note 7?

meh.

Do people here use the stylus on the note much? I always assumed it was for old farts that can't get used to touchscreen keyboards.

Not sure what the target audience is to use a stylus to make dank meme gifs.

If I had a note I'd use the stylus quite often as I like to draw, and because of less fingerprints on the display and better precision than my thumb.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
The back panel of the new Nexus being touch sensitive would be awesome. Gesture controls on the rear. Like the Vita.

It would solve issues when one handing a larger phone.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state

meh.

Do people here use the stylus on the note much? I always assumed it was for old farts that can't get used to touchscreen keyboards.

I used the stylus on my Note 5 appx 5 times

I'm sure Samsung is aware most Note users don't even use it, and own Notes because of the 'big phone' phenomenon

I don't think it is coming out the 5th. I think what the EVleaks tweet meant was that Nougat would contain the August security patch which probably releases on August 5th. Not that 7.0 was dropping on the 5th.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
I don't think it is coming out the 5th. I think what the EVleaks tweet meant was that Nougat would contain the August security patch which probably releases on August 5th. Not that 7.0 was dropping on the 5th.
I agree with you but there are 2 security patches, August 1st and August 5th, I don't remember that happening before. My guess is nougat releasing just a couple of days before we hit September.

Furyous

Don't worry guys. You get $400 of free 2 play goodies with a note 7.

Such value.

http://www.androidauthority.com/galaxy-game-pack-galaxy-note-7-707490/

This is the best deal on a smartphone we'll see until mid fourth quarter when OEMs with underperforming flagships need to move inventory in preparation for the next wave.

I'm considering buying this, taking the goodies, and flipping the device for $900 on swappa. At $900 it's a deal because it's cheaper than a two year contract.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
This is the best deal on a smartphone we'll see until mid fourth quarter when OEMs with underperforming flagships need to move inventory in preparation for the next wave.

I'm considering buying this, taking the goodies, and flipping the device for $900 on swappa. At $900 it's a deal because it's cheaper than a two year contract.
It's worthless garbage. In app purchases? You really care about that? And it doesn't even specify which apps this credit goes toward.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks

meh.

I use the stylus every day on the Note 5. I use it to share stuff a lot, or selecting large batches of text. You're able to select text that isn't selectable too, which has come in handy quite a few times.

tzare

I use the stylus every day on the Note 5. I use it to share stuff a lot, or selecting large batches of text. You're able to select text that isn't selectable too, which has come in handy quite a few times.

i use it very often too, not everyday, but when go to meetings, formation courses and such it is very useful. My kids also enjoy drawing on it a lot so, yeah, it is useful for a few of us, and since there is no competition, the only choice is to hold with Note 4 until Note 8 is released... and we will face the same complans when compared to S8, unless SoCs improve again significantly every 6 months.
The bump in battery size and being waterproof plus the excelent camera i a nice upgrade from Note 4 imo. If not interested in stylus S7 edge then, but the more subtle edges on the Note 7 seem much better than those on the s7.
It is expensive, no doubt, but will probably be able to buy it for around 600 so it will be okay for me.

Bboy AJ

It's just the fingerprint sensor. Not a new feature
Yeah I know. I'm just dreaming the future. Hopefully, this feature is the start of a gesture back panel.

Futureman

Why wouldn't it include the August 5th security patch though? Or is there a security patch every month and that's a roundabout way of saying it's coming sometime in August?

Jeffrey

What's the deal with Alcatel Idol 4? I don't see it being reviewed or shown around much compared to the previous model.

I see mostly reviews of the S model. Spec wise its about the same as last year's with a smaller... battery.

It's only coming to the US on cricket wireless though. Guess the 4S is there main push.

Man is it fucking annoying that phones need to get whitelisted to get 60fps/1440p+ video on youtube. At least for one plus 3, you can root it and spoof it to think its a galaxy s7 or something.

Not sure who to blame, google or ZTE. Really should have got this shit together before launching the phone.

BroBot

Man, this Axon 7 is nothing short of amazing. Fast, sleek, excellent build, amazing screen and viewing angles... And the speakers are incredible. I'm going to have to snap some pics at the park today with this thing.

demented

I've been using hotel's wifi for a day without issues but the next day it stopped working. There's exclamation point next to wifi icon (like before), but unlike before the login page doesn't open automatically or when i try to open some site. I also tried opening it myself by entering url but it doesn't work. Wifi works without problems for all my friends on other android phones and iphones.

I have Sony Xperia z2 and 5.1.1 version of Android.
Really need the net myself for business and to check things here. Can't wait to ditch this phone

Dumped the Nexus launcher and I'm back to using the stock one for this phone. It's nice, but I was getting some ridiculous battery drain using it.

Noema

Dumped the Nexus launcher and I'm back to using the stock one for this phone. It's nice, but I was getting some ridiculous battery drain using it.

Yeah, my N6 got noticiably warm while using it. Also I can't stand the Fisher-Price sized icons and there's no way of importing the layout from another launcher.

It does look super sleek and the wallpapers are choice.

Let's see how it evolves once it's officially released. Or better yet, let's wait for Nova to implement its look and feel. :D

Volotaire

I'm so excited for next year's flagships. 10nm fab process (better battery life). Daydream compatible devices. Project Tango. 6GB RAM becoming more mainstream. Potential 4K displays for VR purposes. Perhaps an experimental foldable/bendable display model. iPhone 2017 edge to edge display. Even 64GB storage models are becoming the base choice.

Looking to be a great year.

Jeffrey

Biggest bummer is that a few f2p games I'm addicted to, just run like trash on android because of really incompetent developers (Final fantasy BE, brave frontier).

game runs worse on the axon 7 than my old iphone 4S.

Noema

Biggest bummer is that a few f2p games I'm addicted to, just run like trash on android because of really incompetent developers (Final fantasy BE, brave frontier).

game runs worse on the axon 7 than my old iphone 4S.

It's not because developers are incompetent. It is significantly more challenging to support Android compared to iOS.

There's literally hundreds of devices to test and troubleshoot, but only a handful of iOS devices.

iOS games run native code and hook into very specific APIs optimized specifically for the device and the platform; many Android games run on Java over OpenGL taking huge performance hits. Once Vulkan is ready and deployed on a majority of devices being shipped, performance should improve across the board, though.

Finally, there's probably more resources being poured into iOS development since it's generally more profitable for developers (or at least it's perceived as such). So Android versions are often delayed and probable subject to less bug testing and less stringent QA. I bet that most games have twice as many people working on the iOS version than the Android version, which is probably ported over by just a handful of developers.

Top Bottom