• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Saiyan-Rox

so rolled back an update for my op3 and now android pay is saying my card doesnt support it....da fook its been working for months

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
What if it doesn't have a 3.5mm jack?!
Still won't have Apple's implementation. Speaking of, I'm surprised we don't have 3D touch already. This year would have been the year I'd expect it.

Where did you import it from? How much?

Much better than onscreen. you can use onscreen as it is always the option plus much better placement and look of buttons then htc 10. Top bezel is too much though.

I'm from Chile so it'll be useless information for you. :(

But, if you want an amazing phone for 300usd, Zuk Z2 is a great option.

No one cares about 3D touch. I wonder if Apple will even keep putting it in future iPhones.

The only thing I think 3D Touch would be a big improvement with is capacitive buttons.

I'd love to be able to rest my thumb on the whole bezel of my S7e and have a hard press to actually go back or see recent apps.

Quasar

The only thing I think 3D Touch would be a big improvement with is capacitive buttons.

I'd love to be able to rest my thumb on the whole bezel of my S7e and have a hard press to actually go back or see recent apps.

Couldnt you just do the same thing with a long press?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Couldnt you just do the same thing with a long press?
Why would you prefer to tap and hold, which requires a pause, instead of pushing harder, which is instantaneous?

Why would you prefer to tap and hold, which requires a pause, instead of pushing harder, which is instantaneous?

Because of the thousands of situations where you are using your phone in a manner where you cannot control the pressure you place on your phone's screen and therefore 3D touch is rendered useless.

hitgirl

So hows the new Nexus phones shaping up? Almost a year my 5x with cyanogenmod has been my daily driver. First android phone and ive enjoyed it so much its made me use my PC way less (other than games). I'd like something bigger now that its my main way to Internets, was thinking of grabbing a 6P when they drop a bit more.. 810 processor didn't wow me but never really bugged me. I'd like to also get on the frugal last year flagship upgrade track he he.

I have only used 3D you on store display iPhones so I don't know how often I would use it day to day basis, but it really sounds pretty useful.

Looking at my Android home screen I can see a lot of uses for it. For instance, it would be nice to 3D touch messenger and get my last viewed conversations instead of having to open the app and then pick one. It'd be nice to 3D touch the play store to instantly go to a category, or Slickdeals and let me jump right into the "Hot deals" section. I can imagine a lot of little ways it could make things easier.

tzare

The Huawei 9p lite has good hardware. If you are fine with it never getting any updates ever, go for it.

Works pretty well on my Nexus 6 unless I completely run out of memory, which practically never happens.
P9 lite will get nougat for sure. P8 lite received marshmallow. It won't be fast though, probably next spring

Blitzhex

Is there was to 100% wipe my nexus 6p before I sell it?
Like writing 0s, so data can't be recovered later, or is that an hdd thing?

Saiyan-Rox

I'm a hair away from jumping on the next iphone (or the 6s) right now....i;m having nothing but issues with Android the past month with my account and now Android Pay isn't working on anything with my card and says it's not supported when i've been using it for months :/

both bank and google haven't a clue why

that on top with the fact I can't remove my pixel C from the beta because according to google I don't own any devices because my account is fucked it's just so damn messy

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Went for stock model on new car. Toyota still doesn't do Apple or Android auto so fuck it. Waifu never uses that shit anyways. It has BT, USB, and AUX which is all that matters.

this_guy

Because you might have the iPhone SE which is the latest iPhone on the market and it doesn't do 3d touch.

I guess I could install a custom ROM should android ever get a must have feature?

Also check out the Huawei Honor 8. It's closer to the P9 than the P9 Lite is

hodgy100

Also check out the Huawei Honor 8. It's closer to the P9 than the P9 Lite is

out of my price range unfortunately.

Still went ahead and picked up the P9 lite and its really great for £200 definitely a larger upgrade over my N5 than the N5x would have been and it shares mostly the same features. and after setting up the stock google now launcher and installing a custom icon pack it is pretty close to stock android anyway

David Ruddock from Android Police confirmed that the back panel on Sailfish is glass not plastic and also reaffirmed that both phones share the same design. I hope the panel design is for them to add wireless charging to it. At this point I am so hyped I just want pricing details.

I'm definitely in for Sailfish if base 32GB is $400, probably in at $450, but anything higher and I may hold off. I'm planning on getting Nexus protect and riding this phone out for at least two years.

Symphonia

Banned
I'm having trouble getting Google Keyboard to work on my Honor 5X. I can switch to it, no problem, but as soon as I do a gesture to bring up the keyboard, it either crashes or just doesn't bring up the keyboard. Anyone know why this is?

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
ap_resize.php

It may be safe to say that 2016's Nexus phones are the most anticipated devices in the brand's history. And we've been rather prolific in our coverage of what, frankly, would qualify as minutiae here at Android Police were it in regard to any non-Google device. And we get that. We initially showed you renders of Sailfish and Marlin (and yes, they still look the same - just different sizes) back in July. We also shared specifications for both Sailfish and Marlin in June, respectively, here and here.

Before I discuss the images you have already seen above, let's talk about what we know and continue to believe.

Marlin and Sailfish share the same basic industrial design and materials. There is no "plastic" phone between the two.
We still believe both devices are built by HTC and will have identical specifications aside from screen size, resolution, and battery capacity.

In short: anything you're hearing at this point about a "budget" Nexus, a Nexus made predominantly of plastic, or two different Nexus "designs" is news to us. And we would be exceptionally skeptical of anyone claiming this. We're not saying it's impossible, but we've seen literally nothing to suggest anything like this (either in visual evidence or from our trusted sources). So, to recap: two Nexus phones, both built by HTC, basically identical specs at different sizes (5.0" and 5.5"), and with basically identical design and materials.

Now, on to the fun part: what are you seeing above? That would be Sailfish (we are 100% positive this is Sailfish), the smaller 5.0" Nexus device. You'll notice that it is indeed quite metallic. We also feel at this point that the darker, glossy pane around the fingerprint scanner and camera module is glass, not plastic. Compared to our renders of a month ago, this seems like a strong match. You'll notice that the Google "G" logo is absent in these photos, but we believe that by the time handsets enter production, the "G" will be present (i.e., no "Nexus" logo).

It also looks very much like the grainy image leaked by an anonymous Twitter user yesterday that a great many of you have sent to us as a tip.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/0...he-2016-nexus-sailfish-in-the-metallic-flesh/

Agent

Well, if they have the pictures of the smaller one I'd bet they have the pictures of the larger one as well. Hopefully we'll see them soon as I am interested in it.

I wouldn't look too much into these pictures overall though. As many may recall, the initial 6p leaks made the phone look terrible with the visor, etc. In reality, it wasn't as bad as the leaked grainy pictures indicated.

The phone does seem a bit chunky, but it is probably the way it is cropped/taken. I actually wouldn't mind a thicker phone if it meant more battery.

Bboy AJ

That phone looks pretty decent. That bottom bezel, though lol

I really don't understand the bottom bezel. The OG Nexus 5 had a relatively big one and you'd think they'd would only improve since 2013.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
I kinda remember all of us joking the 6P before it was out. So, I'll give this the benefit of the doubt - it could look much better. Especially the blue version

Jeffrey

yeah no speakers or finger print sensor or something with that huge bezel...

Phone is also pretty thick too, wonder how big the battery is.

the smaller nexus have always had shitty battery life, hopefully this year changes that.

Top Bottom