• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

man, i hope Google just snatch up HTC and make that there hardware division ....HTC design some gorgeous phones
Motorola made better phones and yet Google dropped them like a rock for some reason only to later seemingly want to get back into hardware development and sign a three year deal with HTC so they have a manufacturer to build devices to their specifications. They really make no sense at times.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
That looks ugly as fuck.

Ugh and I wanted to upgrade, but my current phone is a G3 which I specifically chose cause I didn't want fucking the gap between the edge of the phone and the screen to be the size of the Pacific Ocean.

That bottom bezel is like as big as the OG iPhone (hyperbole I know)

Gosh damn it.

reKon

Banned
ap_resize.php

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/0...he-2016-nexus-sailfish-in-the-metallic-flesh/

Yuck. the bottom looks worse than a Sony phones bezel lol..

Jeffrey

wish they would do the 'google play edition' stuff again, but partner with chinese companies so the prices are in line with nexus stuff.

RuGalz

The screen looks ridiculously long in the picture which is probably why the bezel looks as big as it is (good old wide angle, close up effect). Overall proportions looks similar to Nexus 5. I hope the 32g one won't be more than 400 or I'll probably use my Nexus 5 for another year to wait for price drop.

Jeffrey

now that i look at it more, it really does look like one of those chinese iphone inspired phones lol.

nexus and apple slacking this year, whats been the stand out phone in 2016 in terms of design?

Moto Z... looks unique.

Jeffrey

That's one design thing that i wish everyone just copied apple (or whomever did it first).

headphone port on the bottom makes the most sense with how you take the phone out of the pocket.

Motorola made better phones and yet Google dropped them like a rock for some reason only to later seemingly want to get back into hardware development and sign a three year deal with HTC so they have a manufacturer to build devices to their specifications. They really make no sense at times.

Motorola was bought for there patents, they make trash ass phone

reKon

Banned
That's one design thing that i wish everyone just copied apple (or whomever did it first).

headphone port on the bottom makes the most sense with how you take the phone out of the pocket.

Apple didn't do it first (had to get that out there)

Skux

Ugly phone. Rounded edges and the bottom stripe just make me think of the iPhone, and that glass back is going to get scratched to hell unless you get a case, but then you've ruined the point of having it in the first place.

Quasar

Motorola was bought for there patents, they make trash ass phone

Not just patents. Google did keep the research group ATAP.

I think at this point if google changes its mind on being a phone maker (and people have suggested that given the hiring of Rick Osterloh) they'll just do it organically rather than buying some oem.

I said that years ago when I had my Galaxy Nexus and the bottom headphone jack on that. I wish Samsung would get a clue and put the damn headphone jack on the bottom.

The whole reason they signed the deal was because they didn't want the costs of owning a phone OEM. Of course with HTC currently on it's deathbed, they might have to find someone else to be their bitch soon.

Quasar

People really buy phones for looks?

Apparently. Given how the same they all are (rectangular slab with rounded corners) I cant say I do anymore than I buy a pc case based on how its case looks.

And weird given most people put em in phone cases anyway.

I could just about understand having bezels that size if you've got front-facing speakers, and/or hardware buttons.... but it don't. I guess at least it doesn't have a fake speaker ala 5x :/

Also seems a bit strange that there's only 0.5" between the small and large model.

Mindwipe

I'm really hoping Sony wow me at IFA because that's not fantastic looking at all. Granted the silver/blue version should look much better but still.

Also people mock Sony's volume buttons but then Google put the power button all the way up there on a five inch phone and the fingerprint scanner on the back lol.

Giant ass bottom bezel makes typing on a huge phone even less comfortable.

I certainly didn't buy the Samsung for its looks, but it's obviously a major selling point for others, since all cases look like garbage.

Seriously, I've been looking all weekend for a Galaxy S7 case and they're all shit. Boring, uninspired, lazy. I'm looking at Spigen, Ringke, Incipio and VRS Design right now and almost none of them are trying.

Aiii

So not worth it
Kinda happy the HTC phones look like they're shit, at least I won't be tempted to buy one at all.

Fingers crossed for Huawei returning for the flagship Nexus next year.

Volotaire

I used to be really concerned with looks, to the degree that I would not consider major flagships.

Now that I use cases more often, I don't really care about how it looks because it's going to be in my case 99% of the time. As long as it does not look like the Galaxy S7 active....

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Overall design construction can denote so much more than just a fashion statement though.

Having a big bezel can be nice if it adds space for functional things like dual speakers or a home button that can double as a fingerprint scanner.

Where as being big just for big's sake just can make day to day usage unwieldy.

RuGalz

Overall design construction can denote so much more than just a fashion statement though.

Having a big bezel can be nice if it adds space for functional things like dual speakers or a home button that can double as a fingerprint scanner.

Where as being big just for big's sake just can make day to day usage unwieldy.

Really? a 5" phone with Nexus 5 size bezel (or a 6P with slightly larger bezel but the dimension might be similar because of slightly smaller screen) is unusable now? Have you ever looked at interior of these phones? I doubt anyone designs a shell with big bezel just for the sake of having big bezels. Something always has to give for smaller space whether that's more expensive (and smaller) components or smaller batteries or worse thermal dissipation. If the rumored 2730mah battery is true it's a huge improvement over Nexus 5 already and I'm fine giving some bezel space for battery.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Eh, the new HTC Nexus looks like a downgrade in everything except SoC compared to the 6p.
Yep. It's why I'm interested in the reveal. I'm hoping there's more we're missing.

Top Bottom