• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

this_guy

As much as people shit on the looks of the Axon 7, at least you can't complain about bezel size and this is also with front facing speakers.

Eh, the new HTC Nexus looks like a downgrade in everything except SoC compared to the 6p.
I mean, the SoC is going to be better, more RAM, most likely a better camera, and there is always the possibility they use the HTC 10 speaker setup so you would still get good sound out of it.

Also it probably won't bend because the images make it look pretty thick.

Hitta93

Banned
Duh most flash ship phones have the same specs so why the hell would you want to buy the ugly product?
Bolded isn't true, especially in 2015.

I certainly didn't buy the Samsung for its looks, but it's obviously a major selling point for others, since all cases look like garbage.

Seriously, I've been looking all weekend for a Galaxy S7 case and they're all shit. Boring, uninspired, lazy. I'm looking at Spigen, Ringke, Incipio and VRS Design right now and almost none of them are trying.
It can help justify your purchase, but I'm positive the overwhelmingly majority isn't buying their phone based off aesthetic.
Im assuming you are part of the Axon 7 demographic
S7 owner, so no. Axox 7 is a solid looking phone, even better with a gunmetal grey or matte black paint coat.
This shit is so stupid. I swear that this is the only place I see people shitting on this phone. It's not even a bad looking phone...
This, but it's not mere coincidence the best looking phones in the general public are also the highest priced...

The specs matter the most, the price 2nd, every else is a trickle down effect.

Talon

The spec-driven nature of Android fans is what will kill off flagships from Moto, LG, HTC, and Sony in the next few years.

The spec-driven nature of Android fans is what will kill off flagships from Moto, LG, HTC, and Sony in the next few years.

Perhaps they should make more appealing phones or shouldn't price them too high.

The HTC 10 is still over €600 off contract while offering absolutely nothing over the competition. Why? The G5 is ~€430, the S7 ~€550. The Axon 7 is going to launch for €449, while the OP3 is cheaper as well. It shares the same spot with Sony's flagships, "okay, but too expensive".

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Perhaps they should make more appealing phones or shouldn't price them too high.

The HTC 10 is still over €600 off contract while offering absolutely nothing over the competition. Why? The G5 is ~€430, the S7 ~€550. The Axon 7 is going to launch for €449, while the OP3 is cheaper as well. It shares the same spot with Sony's flagships, "okay, but too expensive".

This!

It's not tech driven so much as too much competition. Basically Samsung kills it yearly for the flagship, you have two Nexus options, and now a bunch of 90% of the Samsung for cheaper in stuff like the Axon 7.

It means you can't just be HTC and shit out a $600 phone and call it a day. I think that's progress.

Here's an idea: Maybe if Samsung is beating your ass every year and you're constantly bleeding money every year you should consider changing up your strategy instead of doing the same old shit and just expecting things to get better.

LG, HTC, and Sony have been continuously releasing expensive phones that rival Samsung/Apple in cost, but the quality has (Mostly) been terrible. They all need to drop prices and stop making crappy phones period. It hurts your brand when one year you have a good phone like the LG G2 and then the next few years you have pretty poor phones like the G3, G4, and the flop that is the G5.

ACE 1991

Alright guys, my first gen Moto X is a glitchy piece of shit right now, (factory reset didn't solve my problems) so it's time for a new phone. I am currently on Verizon (in my early twenties so I am still on my parent's plan) and am unwilling to upgrade to a phone through Verizon and have to pay per month on an expensive flagship device, so I want to go the unlocked route and get a phone $300 or less. It seems like my best option (screw Verizon), especially because I want a phone that comfortably fits in one hand, is the get a Nexus 5X. Is literally every Nexus 5X compatible with Verizon in that each device includes CDMA and GSM radios? I'm assuming so, but I just want to be sure. Can anyone with this phone (or good knowledge about it) speak to it and give it a recommendation or advise against it? Thanks! I'm open to phone suggestions, by the way.

EDIT: Are there new Verizon unlocked phones in my price range that are set to release in September? I'd be willing to wait.

Asgaro

Yuck. the bottom looks worse than a Sony phones bezel lol..

What did you say about Sony?! I'll have you know I graduated top of my class in XDA University, and I've been involved in numerous secret raids on stock ROMS, and I have over 300 confirmed thanks. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I'm the top red-on-black themer in the entire kang team. You are nothing to me but just another script kiddie. I will wipe your phone the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me on my IRC channel? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of rooters across the USA and your bootloader is being unlocked right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your system partition. Your Exynos 4 motherboard is fucking dead, kid. I can hack anywhere, anytime, and I can theme your phone over seven hundred XML documents, and that's just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in theming, but I have access to the entire arsenal of placebo scripts on XDA and I will use it to its full extent to overclock your phone's processor off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your "clever" comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn't, you didn't, and now you're paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You're fucking dead, Apple shill.

Sorry, just discovered this copypasta. Had to use it once 😄

Noema

Alright guys, my first gen Moto X is a glitchy piece of shit right now, (factory reset didn't solve my problems) so it's time for a new phone. I am currently on Verizon (in my early twenties so I am still on my parent's plan) and am unwilling to upgrade to a phone through Verizon and have to pay per month on an expensive flagship device, so I want to go the unlocked route and get a phone $300 or less. It seems like my best option (screw Verizon), especially because I want a phone that comfortably fits in one hand, is the get a Nexus 5X. Is literally every Nexus 5X compatible with Verizon in that each device includes CDMA and GSM radios? I'm assuming so, but I just want to be sure. Can anyone with this phone (or good knowledge about it) speak to it and give it a recommendation or advise against it? Thanks! I'm open to phone suggestions, by the way.

The international version of the Nexus 5x can't connect to CDMA networks so you should look out for that. So if you see some of those eBay or Newegg deals that sell cheap Nexus 5xs, just make sure it has he right bands.

ACE 1991

The international version of the Nexus 5x can't connect to CDMA networks so you should look out for that. So if you see some of those eBay or Newegg deals that sell cheap Nexus 5xs, just make sure it has he right bands.

Ah, that's a great tip, thank you! Do you think it's worth waiting through September to see the new Nexus line of phones? I can get by on my Moto X if it would be worth it to wait. Again though, I'm unsure if any of those phones are going to be i the $300 price range.

Quixzlizx

I couldn't care less about how the phone looks, but those big bezels are annoying on a functional level if they aren't housing anything.

Noema

Ah, that's a great tip, thank you! Do you think it's worth waiting through September to see the new Nexus line of phones? I can get by on my Moto X if it would be worth it to wait. Again though, I'm unsure if any of those phones are going to be i the $300 price range.

I don't see the 5" Nexus costing anything less than $400.

The 5x is a good phone and it's only going to get cheaper as time goes by.

Blitzhex

Oneplus 3 is looking real good. Coming from a 6p I'm giving up a better camera, a speaker, 400 mah battery and early android n for it. Everything else on oneplus3 is better or more to my preference. I have no interest in htc nexus.

It's only $400. What's the catch with these phones?

Saiyan-Rox

Oneplus 3 is looking real good. Coming from a 6p I'm giving up a better camera, a speaker, 400 mah battery and early android n for it. Everything else on oneplus3 is better or more to my preference. I have no interest in htc nexus.

It's only $400. What's the catch with these phones?

For OP it;'s the software and customer service that's the catch.

The software can be buggy (example the latest update broke Android Pay)

And the customer service can be non existent at times

ACE 1991

I don't see the 5" Nexus costing anything less than $400.

The 5x is a good phone and it's only going to get cheaper as time goes by.

Yeah, definitely don't want to spend that much on a phone so I guess I'll go with a 32GB current 5X. Thanks! Despite being almost a year old, is it a fairly future proof device in that it will receive Android releases for years?

Jeffrey

galaxy s7 edge is the ugliest phone this year because its actually mandatory to have a ugly case on it to offer any grip.

Also any glass back phones are sexy until the second you get your fingers on it.

Talon

Yeah, definitely don't want to spend that much on a phone so I guess I'll go with a 32GB current 5X. Thanks! Despite being almost a year old, is it a fairly future proof device in that it will receive Android releases for years?
For 2 years after launch. It'll receive security patches, but that's as far as Google will support it.
Nexus 5X: September 2017
Nexus 6P: September 2017
Nexus 9: October 2016
Nexus 5: October 2015
Nexus 6: October 2016
Nexus 7 (2013): July 2015
Nexus 10: November 2014

Jeffrey

Are there android phones that have good shelf life? I feel like most either have the battery completely go platoot within a year or 2, or software goes crazy that even factory refresh doesn't help.

At the very least I can still use my old iphone 4 today if I needed an emergency backup.

Saiyan-Rox

That list up there is the last date they're supported with updated software.

Security patches will be beyond that.

Well they aren't guaranteed support after those dates for Android Versions but it can still happen.

Besides with Nexus you have the safety of knowing custom ROMS will keep it running on new Android versions for a good while you'll just not have thinks like Android Pay.

ACE 1991

That list up there is the last date they're supported with updated software.

Security patches will be beyond that.

Oops, I'm an idiot. I completely misread your post, thanks for the information!

I think I'm going to pull the trigger on a 32GB 5X in the next few days. It seems like a great phone even among the very limited options I have with Verizon at $300 and under.

reKon

Banned
galaxy s7 edge is the ugliest phone this year because its actually mandatory to have a ugly case on it to offer any grip.

Also any glass back phones are sexy until the second you get your fingers on it.

I've used a dbrand skin on my S7 since day one have not dropped my phone once (while being sober). The one time I dropped it, I was very drunk and careless. Point being that I got a good grip which is all I needed and it looks really good still without all the fingerprints.

Jeffrey

I've used a dbrand skin on my S7 since day one have not dropped my phone once (while being sober). The one time I dropped it, I was very drunk and careless. Point being that I got a good grip which is all I needed and it looks really good still without all the fingerprints.
S7 or s7 edge? 7 is fine. It's the edge that has really small grippy areas.

Vanillalite

http://www.androidauthority.com/samsung-confirms-galaxy-tab-s3-debut-september-709860/

If you’re a fan of Galaxy Tab S line of tablets and have been waiting to hear about the Tab S3, you’ll be glad to hear that Samsung has just confirmed its existence. Last month, we caught wind that the Tab S3 was set for an IFA 2016 announcement (like the Tab S2 before it), but that was just a rumor. There’s now find official word directly from Samsung’s website…well, a post on its Colombian website, that is.

Jeffrey

Just the regular S7.

yeah s7 is fine, although im still antsy about using phones bare, especially pricey ones. I don't trust myself or the world around me lol.

I'm also not in the financial position to get replaced phones whenever i bust them.

Now that axon 7 supports unlocked bootloader, people are getting to work.

1AJ8TVx.jpg

Futureman

Do any bank apps on Android use the fingerprint scanner for logging in? Just saw on PNC's website today that they now support some thing called Windows Wallet yet no Android fingerprint scanner in the app.

What did you say about Sony?! I'll have you know I graduated top of my class in XDA University, and I've been involved in numerous secret raids on stock ROMS, and I have over 300 confirmed thanks. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I'm the top red-on-black themer in the entire kang team. You are nothing to me but just another script kiddie. I will wipe your phone the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me on my IRC channel? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of rooters across the USA and your bootloader is being unlocked right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your system partition. Your Exynos 4 motherboard is fucking dead, kid. I can hack anywhere, anytime, and I can theme your phone over seven hundred XML documents, and that's just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in theming, but I have access to the entire arsenal of placebo scripts on XDA and I will use it to its full extent to overclock your phone's processor off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your "clever" comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn't, you didn't, and now you're paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You're fucking dead, Apple shill.

Sorry, just discovered this copypasta. Had to use it once 😄

Are you new to the Internet? I think I first saw that like 10 years ago now...

Ron Amadeo from Arstechnica made this little GIF comparing Sailfish to the HTC One A9. Said the design is recycled from it which is why the chin is so huge because it used to have a fingerprint scanner there. It will be really disappointing if the phone ends up having the same dimensions as the One A9,which was the same height as the HTC 10 and very nearly the same width despite having a smaller screen.

Ron Amadeo from Arstechnica made this little GIF comparing Sailfish to the HTC One A9. Said the design is recycled from it which is why the chin is so huge because it used to have a fingerprint scanner there. It will be really disappointing if the phone ends up having the same dimensions as the One A9,which was the same height as the HTC 10 and very nearly the same width despite having a smaller screen.

Ron Amadeo's track record is pretty sick.

Enjoy your 5" 2016 Nexus fam.

yeah s7 is fine, although im still antsy about using phones bare, especially pricey ones. I don't trust myself or the world around me lol.

I'm also not in the financial position to get replaced phones whenever i bust them.

Now that axon 7 supports unlocked bootloader, people are getting to work.

1AJ8TVx.jpg

I wish I could see the backside of that case.

HawkeyeIC

Welp. Smashed up my 6p's screen today. Need a replacement to get me by until the new Nexii come out. Only problem is I'm on Verizon.

What's my best bet here?

I have an OG moto x sitting in my drawer, but I'm assuming that will run like garbage?

Jeffrey

Welp. Smashed up my 6p's screen today. Need a replacement to get me by until the new Nexii come out. Only problem is I'm on Verizon.

What's my best bet here?

I have an OG moto x sitting in my drawer, but I'm assuming that will run like garbage?

Depends on how much spending budget you want for a phone to last you a month.

Maybe check out that Blu $60 phone off Amazon?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Lol skip year

What's my best bet here?

Nexus 5X around $200 or Moto G4 for $200.

Vanillalite

Wish Google still offered that Pixel C discount. Kinda want one, but not for $500. I have a feeling that Tab S3 is gonna be $500 as well. Like to pay more like $300-$400, but there is jack shit out there in Android land to buy tablet wise.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Wish Google still offered that Pixel C discount. Kinda want one, but not for $500. I have a feeling that Tab S3 is gonna be $500 as well. Like to pay more like $300-$400, but there is jack shit out there in Android land to buy tablet wise.
Stay strong. I'm hoping for a new Nexus 9, too. Pixel C is old af

It's hard I have a Tab S from 2014. Such an amazing tablet but it needs a refresh.

Top Bottom