• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

reKon

Banned
Give up on the android tablets and welcome your new windows 2 in 1 overloads. Remix OS seems to be getting better and better anyways and it's on Android 6.0 now.

- Posted from GalaxyTab S2

Looking at map coverage improvements, overall speeds and knowing people who have pretty good service with T-Mobile, is it worth switching from Verizon? Does the coverage, for the most part, compare to Verizon? They have a deal going on now for 4 lines, 6gb per phone at $120 a month. Hell, even if you remove a line, it's still $120, so effectively making it a free line. Worth a switch? I currently have a Nexus 6P on Verizon.

Looking at map coverage improvements, overall speeds and knowing people who have pretty good service with T-Mobile, is it worth switching from Verizon? Does the coverage, for the most part, compare to Verizon? They have a deal going on now for 4 lines, 6gb per phone at $120 a month. Hell, even if you remove a line, it's still $120, so effectively making it a free line. Worth a switch? I currently have a Nexus 6P on Verizon.

Talk to tmobile users in your area. Only way to gauge experiences.

Wish Google still offered that Pixel C discount. Kinda want one, but not for $500. I have a feeling that Tab S3 is gonna be $500 as well. Like to pay more like $300-$400, but there is jack shit out there in Android land to buy tablet wise.

Agreed. Hoping for some close out sales on the S2 as I am simply not going to pay $500 for a tablet in 2016/2017

Jeffrey

What reason is there to stick with Verizon these days outside of work discounts, or superior coverage in your local area?

Really does seem to limit your phone choices. I remember verizon getting iphone was a huge deal and everyone wanted off AT&T, but i think stuff has mostly smoothed out?

idk, never really had an issue with AT&T in atlanta, but my coverage was shit when I was in LA for business.

Rafy

yeah s7 is fine, although im still antsy about using phones bare, especially pricey ones. I don't trust myself or the world around me lol.

I'm also not in the financial position to get replaced phones whenever i bust them.

Now that axon 7 supports unlocked bootloader, people are getting to work.

1AJ8TVx.jpg

So far the bootlocker unlock from ZTE works only on US devices, you have to request it through official channels and it's tied to your IMEI. By doing so, according to ZTE at least, your warranty is not valid anymore.

However, users on XDA have figured out another way to go about it unofficially, and as such your IMEI will most likely not be added to a warranty blacklist. If the need for repairs ever arises, you just flash the stock images (once those are released).

The only thing that is still unknown, is whether future updates will remain compatible with this unofficial unlock option.

For those that are curious, the process boils down to "fastboot oem unlock" like with the Nexus devices.

Mindwipe

I'm too scared of losing my Google account to make the first post in the Duo Help Forum "This product is a fucking dumpster fire."

Mindwipe

How? Seems good to me. Video quality was great and I appreciate the simplicity.

I don't. Doesn't work on tablets, doesn't work on laptops, doesn't integrate well into the dialer or contacts, doesn't have any userbase, kicks you to a separate app to do any text sharing...

Jeffrey

I love how if you sum everything up, you are basically paying premium over other flagship phones just so you can make gifs (besides top tier screen camera etc).

this_guy

Huawei Honor 8 for the US market will be unveiled today. It's a cheaper P9 so another competitor (price wise) to Axon 7/OnePlus 3.

Huawei Honor 8 for the US market will be unveiled today. It's a cheaper P9 so another competitor (price wise) to Axon 7/OnePlus 3.
Wow, color me shocked. I Google'd it and expected to see a giant phone, but this actually isn't a phablet. Will keep my eyes on the news for today.

Jeffrey

looking at reviews, it seems to get dinged for aggressive memory management so multitasking isn't amazing. Everything else seems 'fine', but it better be $350 or lower or I see no reason to get this over the competition.

this_guy

looking at reviews, it seems to get dinged for aggressive memory management so multitasking isn't amazing. Everything else seems 'fine', but it better be $350 or lower or I see no reason to get this over the competition.

I'm interested because of the size, but yeah I'm hoping it's less than Axon 7/OnePlus 3. I'm sure Huawei's skin is the worst of the 3 but I'll put up with it if the hardware is good along with the smaller size.

I love how if you sum everything up, you are basically paying premium over other flagship phones just so you can make gifs (besides top tier screen camera etc).
You are paying a premium for having the best screen on the market and what will probably end up being either the best camera of the year or in the top three best. You also get a ton of features that other phones may lack like Wireless Charging, Waterproofing, and MicroSD support. It isn't a premium I'd be willing to pay, but you are just brushing that kind of stuff away even though the whole point of paying a premium is that you get the best of the best.

The Note 7 is probably going to be the best Android phone of this year. It definitely will not be the cheapest, but if money is not a problem it will be the best.

Blitzhex

Phone released a couple weeks ago here. I've checked it out a few times and it's awesome, but I don't think I can live with the grace ui/touchwiz. The new UI and system wide icon theming is very good though.
If samsung released google edition of their flagships again, they could steal the stock android market share. I'm really not looking forward to 3 years of htc nexuses.

clav

Phone released a couple weeks ago here. I've checked it out a few times and it's awesome, but I don't think I can live with the grace ui/touchwiz. The new UI and system wide icon theming is very good though.
If samsung released google edition of their flagships again, they could steal the stock android market share. I'm really not looking forward to 3 years of htc nexuses.

Phone still crashes, too, so I don't understand the positive comments when I played with a demo unit.

"Unfortunately, <insert program> has stopped working."

I won't buy one.

Jeffrey

Keep dumping on this phone just because you love your Axon or whatever.

Not really dumping. It's the best android phone out there for sure hardware wise, but really the 'thing' the note offers over other devices is the pen, and the biggest new feature with that is the gif creator lol.

LG got weird accessories. moto got weird accessories. samsung got gifs. Nexus got... bezel?

You are paying a premium for having the best screen on the market and what will probably end up being either the best camera of the year or in the top three best. You also get a ton of features that other phones may lack like Wireless Charging, Waterproofing, and MicroSD support. It isn't a premium I'd be willing to pay, but you are just brushing that kind of stuff away even though the whole point of paying a premium is that you get the best of the best.

The Note 7 is probably going to be the best Android phone of this year. It definitely will not be the cheapest, but if money is not a problem it will be the best.

yeah the little things are nice but those are on the s7/s7edge as well. The 'thing' the note 7 offers is the pen and its gimmicks.

Not really dumping. It's the best android phone out there for sure hardware wise, but really the 'thing' the note offers over other devices is the pen, and the biggest new feature with that is the gif creator lol.

LG got weird accessories. moto got weird accessories. samsung got gifs. Nexus got... bezel?

yeah the little things are nice but those are on the s7/s7edge as well. The 'thing' the note 7 offers is the pen and its gimmicks.

Or it got waterproofing, iris scanner, etc, etc. But, ya know, narratives.

Jeffrey

Or it got waterproofing, iris scanner, etc, etc. But, ya know, narratives.

yeah nice little things.

I'm reading the reviews and the iris scanner seems more of a gimmick? More of a hassle to use than the quick fingerprint sensor.

Anyways, its the best phone you can get for your money atm, but you can get something nearly as good for hundreds less these days.

It's kinda like graphics cards, Titan X vs 1080. Note 7 is the best phone out there, but pretty awful 'value' compared to the competition, but this is all subjective. In the end its up to the customer if the curved screen with the best display, waterproofing, pen, wireless charging, best camera etc is worth up to $450 premium over some of the competition.

Quixzlizx

Blu sucks at updating their phones. They said the Life One X was going to get Marshmallow in Q1 2016, but it still hasn't. Although I wasn't expecting anything, so I'm not too disappointed.

rc213

Tried Duo just now with my niece from my office which has terrible reception/speed. Video was pretty good, No choppiness and audio was clear. So far miles better than video calling with hangouts.

mackattk

Yeah, I agree. I have an Axon 7, which is great.. But would drop it in a heartbeat if it wasn't for the price difference. The Note 7 is going to be an amazing phone. I am really missing the wireless charging on my Axon 7 that I had on my Note 3.It is such a convenient feature.

reKon

Banned
Yeah, I agree. I have an Axon 7, which is great.. But would drop it in a heartbeat if it wasn't for the price difference. The Note 7 is going to be an amazing phone. I am really missing the wireless charging on my Axon 7 that I had on my Note 3.It is such a convenient feature.

Speaking of heartbeat...

The S7 line up has heart rate monitors on the phone. That feature is over looked and actually integrates well into S health where you can connect third party apps. It's pretty valuable for me

Jeffrey

Speaking of heartbeat...

The S7 line up has heart rate monitors on the phone. That feature is over looked and actually integrates well into S health where you can connect third party apps. It's pretty valuable for me

thinking of getting the new pebbles, but not really sure what i need a heartrate sensor for in my life. Never really felt the need of knowing my heart rate when i work out.

Top Bottom