• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AndyPants Gaming: The Pussification of Videogames

Status
Not open for further replies.

HL3.exe

'Hate money?' Revenue only got up in last 20 years with the help of the wider appeal.

I prefer my 'more grounded' character writing in games too, don't get me wrong. But the 'pandering to a wider audience' is capitalism 101 and only seems to work in their favor, so they'll definitely continue with that.

50-Years-of-Video-Game-Revenue-Dec-31.jpg

Edit: ah gotya, this Andypants Gaming guy is another one of those boring culture war retards, copy-pasting 'feelz' twitter talking points like some gpt bot 🥱

Last edited:

Fahdis

Sometimes, it feels like video games are designed to siphon the testosterone from your body, with how effete and wimpy they are.

I long for a return to games about real men firing enormous guns while chicks in bikinis stare at them in awe. That was much better.

So Duke Nukem?

'Hate money?' Revenue only got up in last 20 years because of the wider appeal.

I prefer my 'more grounded' character writing in games too, don't get me wrong. But the 'pandering to a wider audience' is capitalism 101 and only seems to work in their favor, so they'll definitely continue with that.

Edit: ah gotya, this Andypants Gaming guy is another one of those boring culture war grifters, copy-pasting 'feelz' twitter talking points like some gpt bot 🥱

Why are you minimizing the argument? The point isnt sales you cursive fungi. Its about the shift in culture in gaming, pandering to a marginal community. We already knew gaming was going to become the biggest entertainment industry back in 2004.

Anyways, I would like to bring on an actual problem occurring, the lowering of testosterone in all males. Wtf happened? I'm starting to feel gynocomastica come on because of feels and nasty hormone injected foods.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed

Edit: ah gotya, this Andypants Gaming guy is another one of those boring culture war retards, copy-pasting 'feelz' twitter talking points like some gpt bot 🥱
Yeah the increase is 100% because of ‘wider appeal’.

Trilobit

In the past (2010's) when these parrot-haired people screeched over things I saw people on forums becoming more and more exasperated with them. But others said that if you just ignore them they'll go away as they are so few. Well, that backfired. Instead the general public, the companies and the parrots seemed to think everyone agreed with them. The only way to deal with this very vocal and tiny minority is to push against their agenda and call them out on it every time. For every inch they are given they require one more feet. First it was that you have to respect transsexuals, fair enough they are humans, but now instead the push is that if you don't want to have sex with them you're transphobic and awful. First it was that people can experience different gender roles. Now it's that men are women and you should refer to everyone as them/they. Just look at games like Avatar, Jedi Survivor or even Dredge where he/her has been eradicated. The slippery slope is real and neverending. That doesn't mean that people should hate LGBTQ+ people themselves, but they don't have to like their opinions and the agendas they try to force upon the majority of the population.

Last edited:

HL3.exe

Why are you minimizing the argument? The point isnt sales you cursive fungi. Its about the shift in culture in gaming, pandering to a marginal community. We already knew gaming was going to become the biggest entertainment industry back in 2004.
Not much to minimize if there's barely an argument to begin with, other than 'america bad ass back then, now everyone gay' eventhough that was cringe too at the time. Remember all the shaved head protagonists in the 360 era?

Anyways, I would like to bring on an actual problem occurring, the lowering of testosterone in all males. Wtf happened? I'm starting to feel gynocomastica come on because of feels and nasty hormone injected foods
Sounds a bit schizo, ngl my dude. 'The government is poisoning me' type shit.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife

But according to that graph most of the increase comes from mobile games, which I'd bet comes mostly from gachas that are full of cute chicks.

Like seriously, I doubt any of that growth is because of games like Concord, Dustborn, Flintlocks and the like.

HL3.exe

But according to that graph most of the increase comes from mobile games, which I'd bet comes mostly from gachas that are full of cute chicks.

Like seriously, I doubt any of that growth is because of games like Concord, Dustborn, Flintlocks and the like.
True, that's the reason wet farts like Concord and suicide squad exist, as they need to compete with the gigantic mobile market these days. It sucks.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Some serious cherry picking going on in that video.
His 6 "random" games from 2024 is literally what was just released to GP that month.
A notoriously quiet month.

e8TraJV.png

He could even have picked the current analogs of his 6 "random" games from the 2000s.

Dark Sector - Warframe:1984
Modern Warfare - Black Ops
Deus Ex - Prey/Dishonored/Perfect Dark I dont know immersive sims dont sell so im not shocked theres not many.
Brothers in Arms - Hell let loose,Escape from Tarkov, Stalker I mean shooters arent hard to find.
Riddick - Again shooters arent hard to find in the modern age.
Ride to Hell - Literally one of the worst games of all time.....who would want anything even close to this?

P.S The girlboss with the yellow hair is a videogame journalist......who works for Xbox.

HL3.exe

Can you point me to anywhere that suggests any increase at all can be attributed to ‘wider appeal’?
Most media has adapted right? It not just games. It a logical next step for growth. Games in the 90's/00's where aimed at us nerds and young male yeens because it was a niche hobby.

But capitalism 101 continues and year over year expansion needs to occur. So aiming at all types of 'walks of life' is the goal for growth. And it's seemed to work.

HL3.exe

Some serious cherry picking going on in that video.
His 6 "random" games from 2024 is literally what was just released to GP that month.
A notoriously quiet month.

e8TraJV.png

He could even have picked the current analogs of his 6 "random" games from the 2000s.

Dark Sector - Warframe:1984
Modern Warfare - Black Ops
Deus Ex - Prey/Dishonored/Perfect Dark I dont know immersive sims dont sell so im not shocked theres not many.
Brothers in Arms - Hell let loose,Escape from Tarkov, Stalker I mean shooters arent hard to find.
Riddick - Again shooters arent hard to find in the modern age.
Ride to Hell - Literally one of the worst games of all time.....who would want anything even close to this?
True. Still plenty enough hardcore stuff out there. Hunt Showdown is my GOAT for the last few years.

I always wondered, how bangers like 'Katamari Damacy' (2004) and 'Loco Roco' (2006) would be appreciated today like they where back then.

Or how people would react to Half-Life 2 having a female co-protagonist when it was released today.

Ojeteespacial

Neo Member
I feel like this video is everything but serious. Comparing the "back of the box" of some games in a totally arbitrary way, and commenting in a subjective way is an empty talk. No numbers, no studies. And i dont like the wokes. As someone said, its capitalism but also sociology, government...

Von Hugh

Gold Member
Quite heavy apples to oranges comparisons and homophobia right there. But he's not wrong in there being an industry wide push in getting certain agendas spread everywhere and anywhere.

HL3.exe

Oh, ya need me to Google for you?
  1. Revenue Growth: The global gaming market is projected to reach $321 billion by 20261. This growth has been fueled by an expanding and diverse player base.
  2. Diverse Player Base: A study by Newzoo revealed that the gaming demographic is becoming increasingly diverse. For example, 46% of gamers are women, 20% are Latinx, 15% are Black, 5% are Asian American, 16% are LGBTQIA+, and 31% have a disability2. This shift towards inclusivity has helped attract a broader audience.
  3. Impact of Inclusivity: The push for diversity and inclusion in gaming has not only enriched the gaming ecosystem but also fostered more engaged and loyal player communities2. Players appreciate character customization and representation, which has translated into higher engagement and spending.
  4. Market Expansion: The U.S. game industry revenue exceeded $43 billion in 2018, an 18% increase over the previous year3. This growth is partly attributed to the industry’s efforts to appeal to underrepresented groups, such as women and non-white ethnicities3.
Funny because I personally don't care much about diversity, let alone forced diversity. It's why the culture wars are inherently boring to me. But i'm not delusional in denying epistemic reality.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
  1. Revenue Growth: The global gaming market is projected to reach $321 billion by 20261. This growth has been fueled by an expanding and diverse player base.
  2. Diverse Player Base: A study by Newzoo revealed that the gaming demographic is becoming increasingly diverse. For example, 46% of gamers are women, 20% are Latinx, 15% are Black, 5% are Asian American, 16% are LGBTQIA+, and 31% have a disability2. This shift towards inclusivity has helped attract a broader audience.
  3. Impact of Inclusivity: The push for diversity and inclusion in gaming has not only enriched the gaming ecosystem but also fostered more engaged and loyal player communities2. Players appreciate character customization and representation, which has translated into higher engagement and spending.
  4. Market Expansion: The U.S. game industry revenue exceeded $43 billion in 2018, an 18% increase over the previous year3. This growth is partly attributed to the industry’s efforts to appeal to underrepresented groups, such as women and non-white ethnicities3.
Funny because I personally don't care much about diversity, let alone forced diversity. It's why the culture wars are inherently boring to me. But i'm not delusional in denying epistemic reality.
Your first source is literally the World Economic Forum. You must be joking.

Fahdis

Not much to minimize if there's barely an argument to begin with, other than 'america bad ass back then, now everyone gay' eventhough that was cringe too at the time. Remember all the shaved head protagonists in the 360 era?

Sounds a bit schizo, ngl my dude. 'The government is poisoning me' type shit.

You mean white bald space marines with sepia filtering and bloom everywhere? We got Anita Scamsceesion to counter that narrative remember? Hence we have the other shitty purple forum today.

Also, you trust the government? Hahahahaha. I'm usually 99% sarcastic with my replies but this one is real. I am indeed schizo now.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Haha not sure where to begin. Companies don't care about/or maintaining culture, they follow culture. That's where the money is going. They care about profit and growth.
So they make stuff like Suicide Squad, Concord or Dustborn to "follow the culture since that's where the money is going"? Doesn't seem to be a lot of money there based on how those games perform.

HL3.exe

Also, you trust the government? Hahahahaha. I'm usually 99% sarcastic with my replies but this one is real. I am indeed schizo now.
Trust the government is a broad spectrum. Do I trust the government 100% of the time? Nope, and nobody should. But should you trust the institutions in maintaining a stable society? Yes. There are always bad apples, but most people in position want to do the right thing, just like you would do for you neighbors.

HL3.exe

So they make stuff like Suicide Squad, Concord or Dustborn to "follow the culture since that's where the money is going"? Doesn't seem to be a lot of money there based on how those games perform.
Agree, that's why I previously mentioned: 'It sucks'.

I'd rather companies would stop chasing trends, but the risk-aversion due to insane budgets is real.

StueyDuck

why not use a more recent example from an actual game publisher.

https://captown.capcom.com/en/super_elections/1

LooseLips

Anyways, I would like to bring on an actual problem occurring, the lowering of testosterone in all males. Wtf happened? I'm starting to feel gynocomastica come on because of feels and nasty hormone injected foods.
Almost certainly a general lowering of IQ appears to be a more tangible issue... although the long standing abuse of antibiotics in certain farming industries is a concern.

Sometimes, it feels like video games are designed to siphon the testosterone from your body, with how effete and wimpy they are.

I long for a return to games about real men firing enormous guns while chicks in bikinis stare at them in awe. That was much better.
Sarcasm?

...those games are still around - and if you don't like the new ones, the old ones are certainly available to have fun with, are they not?

Like a game? Buy it, play it. Don't like a game? Don't buy, don't play it; afford others the same courtesy.

Ojeteespacial

Neo Member
Sarcasm?

...those games are still around - and if you don't like the new ones, the old ones are certainly available to have fun with, are they not?

Like a game? Buy it, play it. Don't like a game? Don't buy, don't play it; afford others the same courtesy.
Thats true, but is also true that politics are involved in the arts, lets not forget how you wont win an oscar nowadays if you are not inclusive. And thats not a new thing, the Congress for Cultural Freedom in the 50s was a cia attempt to get soft power against the soviets. The art is other flow to control from the government.

HL3.exe

You’re free to stop conversing at any time - personally I think I’ve been pretty generous in my responses to you so far, and haven’t needed to resort to barbs like you have (y)
True. "Your first source is literally the World Economic Forum. You must be joking." Is some stellar epistemic engagement, truly.

But I get ya. I like arguing and giving pushback, so apologies I came down hard. If you're uncomfortable with some topics, totally fine to end it here.👍

Fahdis

Trust the government is a broad spectrum. Do I trust the government 100% of the time? Nope, and nobody should. But should you trust the institutions in maintaining a stable society? Yes. There are always bad apples, but most people in position want to do the right thing, just like you would do for you neighbors.

So how do 3rd World Countries, one I was born in as an example maintain society with crumbling corrupt institutions. Do I live in anarchy? Stable is a very personal perceptive notion. I don't know if we live on hopium or copium or a combination of both. Its all chaos disguised as organized stability in the 1st World. Yea, systems seem to be a bit better, but the higher up you go, the more corrupt it gets. Someone is banking on your loss for their gains, in what sense? Moral decay of society. Anyways, that's just my myopic mindset as well. We can agree to disagree.

Almost certainly a general lowering of IQ appears to be a more tangible issue.

Indeed. Most can see it. But won't do anything about it. Speak the truth and get cancelled.

This isn't the forum to be discussing this, but there's a lot of possible causes of both declining testosterone in male humans and also more alarmingly declining sperm counts over the past 50 years. The decline in sperm counts, if it continues at the rate it has been, will quite literally create a Children of Men scenario for humanity where most male humans are no longer capable of reproducing within the next 50 years.

Banjo64

cumsessed
True. "Your first source is literally the World Economic Forum. You must be joking." Is some stellar epistemic engagement, truly.

But I get ya. I like arguing and giving pushback, so apologies I came down hard. If you're uncomfortable with some topics, totally fine to end it here.👍
It is fine to give pushback, but you clearly don’t like it when someone pushes back on a source.

Posting WEF and academic studies is great if you acknowledge their own biases. I’m simply asking you to clearly evidence (with numbers) how wider appeal has resulted in increased revenue.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
'Hate money?' Revenue only got up in last 20 years with the help of the wider appeal.

Are you sure this graph is corroborating your take?

Console revenue seems to have been pretty stagnant for a while, and hardware sales prove this. PC grew in no small part because it started getting pretty much all the major console games, plus it became much more user-friendly and affordable. The real boom was in mobile, and that's not really the kind of games being usually discussed about this particular subject.

"Pandering to a wider audience" was what the Wii did, and the content there was the polar opposite of what we're discussing here.
Last week we had several examples of this kind of content actually NOT being that successful, in spite of the efforts from the gaming press, unless it's shoehorned into already existing, very successful IPs that lure customers in with the promise of very different content. If this wider audience was really a thing, we'd see console sales soaring, wouldn't we? The truth is, those vocal people practically never put their money where they say their heart is.o Pointing at the sales numbers of, say, TLOU2 or Spider-Man 2 is NOT proof that that kind of content is expanding the gaming market.

HL3.exe

It is fine to give pushback, but you clearly don’t like it when someone pushes back on a source.

Posting WEF and academic studies is great if you acknowledge their own biases. I’m simply asking you to clearly evidence (with numbers) how wider appeal has resulted in increased revenue.
Number were provided, not sure what you mean?

Ah, George Soros came up and it immediately shut down your brain, got it. This is what I mean with thinking your 'pretty generous'. It's more in line with cry-bulling and hunkering down in your lane. Which it totally fine btw, Its pretty though to break out of a bubble and reset your epistemic foundation, but don't act like you being 'generous' when in fact you yourself are ironically not acknowledging you own biases.

Felessan

In your graph expansion peaked on 2021. Partially because of Covid and partially because people, especially outside of US, doesn't want this DEI stuff shoved doesn't their throat - it's really not their problem.
Most countries are traditional mono-cultural with no nation-wide problem with obesity. So for them fat black chick with purple hair is not diversity representation, it's an image from alien planet. Unattractive one.

16% of LGBT+ and 31% disabled?
Where the hell did they review people? Normal world percentages for both are much lower

The WEF is an institution with an OFFICIAL AGENDA that goes beyond economy so trusting them for matters related to that agenda is the same as trusting any political party. The conclusions extracted from their hard data are all wrong. That's a manipulation.

I think you are mistaking a diverse audience (from an ethnic, socio-demographic point of view) with global reach / cultural impact of videogames. Videogames are the king entertainment nowadays and their broad audience has grown exponentially. That point is correct. However, having more people playing videogames doesn't equate to "there is money in every demographic group, so let's pander to everyone".

That's a fallacy and games that try that end up failing, as we are witnessing left and right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom