• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AndyPants Gaming: The Pussification of Videogames

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyberpunkd

Oh, ya need me to Google for you?
  1. Revenue Growth: The global gaming market is projected to reach $321 billion by 20261. This growth has been fueled by an expanding and diverse player base.
  2. Diverse Player Base: A study by Newzoo revealed that the gaming demographic is becoming increasingly diverse. For example, 46% of gamers are women, 20% are Latinx, 15% are Black, 5% are Asian American, 16% are LGBTQIA+, and 31% have a disability2. This shift towards inclusivity has helped attract a broader audience.
  3. Impact of Inclusivity: The push for diversity and inclusion in gaming has not only enriched the gaming ecosystem but also fostered more engaged and loyal player communities2. Players appreciate character customization and representation, which has translated into higher engagement and spending.
  4. Market Expansion: The U.S. game industry revenue exceeded $43 billion in 2018, an 18% increase over the previous year3. This growth is partly attributed to the industry’s efforts to appeal to underrepresented groups, such as women and non-white ethnicities3.
Funny because I personally don't care much about diversity, let alone forced diversity. It's why the culture wars are inherently boring to me. But i'm not delusional in denying epistemic reality.
How many of them take into account mobile / Candy Crush? 46% of console players are women? Studies like that are meaningless.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Oh look Phil is wearing a Doom shirt. Probably referencing that sick Doom game that's about to come out.

No dude, eww. He's standing next to not 1 but 2 girls. He can't hang out with us anymore in our man club for hanging out with other men. Not to mention he allowed himself to stand on the side. He should have stood in the center to assert his dominance.

This guy has issues.

Last edited:

HL3.exe

You think global growth due to a pandemic, Animal Crossing and growth in Pakistan and Turkey can be attributed to devs pandering to a wider audience?
You truly did start and stop at the first article didn't you? Be honest 😏

Also yeah, of course it did. You know how many more people discovered gaming in the pandemic days? Most friends of mine who didn't care for gaming, now have a console and a steam account are and daily/weekly active. My dad and girlfriend started to play games (even though my dad hated games when I grew up) when the pandemic happened. These are just anecdotal, but the statistics bares out that speaking to a wider audience apparently helped a lot for the growth.

Again, funny I'm defending these epistemic fact, when in fact I personally kinda hate it. As non of the games I like get made anymore. But i'm not blaming it on some agenda or some DEI boogieman, i'm blaming it on market realities and me getting older.

Wildebeest

Thanks to Disney and Marvel there hasn't ever been such a dominance of roided up himbos in popular culture.

Last edited:

TheKratos

'Hate money?' Revenue only got up in last 20 years with the help of the wider appeal.

I prefer my 'more grounded' character writing in games too, don't get me wrong. But the 'pandering to a wider audience' is capitalism 101 and only seems to work in their favor, so they'll definitely continue with that.

50-Years-of-Video-Game-Revenue-Dec-31.jpg

Edit: ah gotya, this Andypants Gaming guy is another one of those boring culture war retards, copy-pasting 'feelz' twitter talking points like some gpt bot 🥱
Using revenue is metric (not even profit) AND linking that to wider appeal... wow. GDPs of western countries have gone up up up as well. Prices go up, revenues go up.

Ozriel

M$FT
How are grown folks baited into sharing and applauding these low effort, low IQ, outrage bait videos from Internet grifters?

The pool of games available is wider and bigger than ever before. There’s something for everyone. Backlogs are immense are hell. And some clown is convincing you that you have nothing to play because ‘Wokies’ have taken over gaming?

qElMkxy.jpeg

This isn’t just ‘random games’ as this clown says. These are handpicked from GP drops from the past few months, and most are AA hames or indies…which he’s comparing to handpicked AAA titles. And people are gullible enough to fall for this shtick?

No, the industry isn’t worse because games like Tchia or Flock exist. Indie titles made by solo devs or small teams. Instead of whining, go download Unity or Unreal Engine and have fun making your own games.

Last edited:
This guy stated that women and children don't even play video games and then contradicts himself by saying that these are games made for children, women and gay men. LOL. It would be correct to state that these high testosterone manly men PC and console games are targeted towards an older male demographic, unlike Animal Crossing, The Sims and Candy Crush. He didn't do that though, he decided to make a false blanket statement instead.

Wildebeest

How are grown folks baited into sharing and applauding these low effort, low IQ, outrage bait videos from Internet grifters?

The pool of games available is wider and bigger than ever before. There’s something for everyone. Backlogs are immense are hell. And some clown is convincing you that you have nothing to play because ‘Wokies’ have taken over gaming?

qElMkxy.jpeg

This isn’t just ‘random games’ as this clown says. These are handpicked from GP drops from the past few months, and most are AA hames or indies…which he’s comparing to handpicked AAA titles. And people are gullible enough to fall for this shtick?

No, the industry isn’t worse because games like Tchia or Flock exist. Indie titles made by solo devs or small teams. Instead of whining, go download Unity or Unreal Engine and have fun making your own games.
Yeah, it really is an idiotic comparison. Riddick guys went on to make Wolfenstein and Indiana Jones games. Call of Duty is still Call of Duty. Eidos Montreal, don't care. Gearbox always sort of sucked, but they haven't changed that much. Digital Extremes who made Dark Sector are working on Warframe 1999 and the version Arthur in that looks even more "masculine" than the Dark Sector version.

Last edited:

nkarafo

'Hate money?' Revenue only got up in last 20 years with the help of the wider appeal.

I prefer my 'more grounded' character writing in games too, don't get me wrong. But the 'pandering to a wider audience' is capitalism 101 and only seems to work in their favor, so they'll definitely continue with that.

Of course video games have grown so much when the definition of "gaming" is also widen. People who don't know how to hold a controller in their hands are included in the red part of the graph because they play some color matching or word game on their phones to kill time in the bus.

Diverse Player Base: A study by Newzoo revealed that the gaming demographic is becoming increasingly diverse. For example, 46% of gamers are women, 20% are Latinx, 15% are Black, 5% are Asian American, 16% are LGBTQIA+, and 31% have a disability2. This shift towards inclusivity has helped attract a broader audience.

VZW4Mxo.jpeg

Last edited:

HL3.exe

Of course video games have grown so much when the definition of "gaming" is also widen. People who don't know how to hold a controller in their hands are included in the red part of the graph because they play some color matching or word game on their phones to kill time in the bus.
True, but apart from mobile; PC gaming alone went from 35 billion to 80 billion in 20 years.

Edit: Remember when everyone said 'PC gaming is dying' in the 2000's? Funny to look back on.

Last edited:
So Duke Nukem?

Why are you minimizing the argument? The point isnt sales you cursive fungi. Its about the shift in culture in gaming, pandering to a marginal community. We already knew gaming was going to become the biggest entertainment industry back in 2004.

Anyways, I would like to bring on an actual problem occurring, the lowering of testosterone in all males. Wtf happened? I'm starting to feel gynocomastica come on because of feels and nasty hormone injected foods.
Society now labels masculinity and exercise as toxic traits. It's mostly effeminate, estrogen-driven left-leaning men and loud, obnoxious, insane, blue-haired, lonely women pushing this nonsense. I saw a TikTok where a leftist girl was crying because she wants to date masculine men who work out, but the only ones she can find are conservatives. The left has feminized men, even encouraging them to 'become' women, while treating normal male traits as toxic. For women, they celebrate abortion, vilify motherhood, and condemn the normal, feminine qualities that men naturally like because it’s ingrained into our biology. The world is upside down, and everyone is suffering because of it. The natural order of things has been set on fire. Men don’t want to exercise or work, and the drop in testosterone is just one symptom of society's insanity.

Just be a regular man, do manly things, eat meat (saturated fat is important for regulating testosterone), work, lift weights, and your testosterone will be fine.

Last edited:

HL3.exe

80 bil?
Same NewZoo estimates it at ~40 bil. Even graph you posted put them at 45 bil
True, correction.

It's insane the amount of money in PC gaming alone, but in the lower points on the chart (the 90's/00's) they made way more interesting and technical boundary pushing PC games then now.

Where is my true Crysis (2007) follow up. A game that cost 20 million to make btw (30 mil today with inflation)

Edit: I kinda know why; smaller teams, younger team, less risk investment, the industry still being fairly niche and more tech oriented.

Last edited:
The video thumb screams schmuck so, I'm not giving that a click. LOL

Some people can't wrap their heads around the idea that everyone can exist at the same time. This includes video game characters. You might have the occasional studio releasing games named after planes that gets exclusionary with their inclusion, but that is not the norm at all.

GHG

Edit: ah gotya, this Andypants Gaming guy is another one of those boring culture war retards, copy-pasting 'feelz' twitter talking points like some gpt bot 🥱

Thank you for this post. Not because I agree (I really don't), but so that I can see who all the woke soybois are based on the reactions to it.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Subtle it ain't.

Last edited:

HL3.exe

It's really no surprise, he uses pussy as an insult and synonym for weak. Pussies can take a pounding, but I doubt he would know that personally.
Probably one of those guys outraged about modern high-fidelity games showing even small facial hair details on women’s faces. (Horizon, If I recall correctly)

That tells you enough about how these "masculine" dudes have probably never even been near an actual woman.

Last edited:

Unknown?

Most media has adapted right? It not just games. It a logical next step for growth. Games in the 90's/00's where aimed at us nerds and young male yeens because it was a niche hobby.

But capitalism 101 continues and year over year expansion needs to occur. So aiming at all types of 'walks of life' is the goal for growth. And it's seemed to work.
Don't talk about capitalism, we do not have free markets anywhere.

Felessan

True, correction.

It's insane the amount of money in PC gaming alone, but in the lower points on the chart (the 90's/00's) they made way more interesting and technical boundary pushing PC games then now.

Where is my true Crysis (2007) follow up. A game that cost 20 million to make btw (30 mil today with inflation)

Edit: I kinda know why; smaller teams, younger team, less risk investment, the industry still being fairly niche and more tech oriented.
It's because expansion of PC market in 00s and early 10s is not what it seems. It expanded heavily but it did so it in gaas space. Gaas on PC was dominant way before it took on mobile or console.
Traditional PC market also expanded (from barely non-existent in mid 00s to about 25% or 10 bil now) but it's still not that big compared to gaas space (lol, dota, cs, korean and chinese mmos etc)

HL3.exe

Don't talk about capitalism, we do not have free markets anywhere.
Nope, but most international markets do try to cater to these audiences as well. The free market is more predominant than you might think. Just Look at Russia or China for example.

Unknown?

Using revenue is metric (not even profit) AND linking that to wider appeal... wow. GDPs of western countries have gone up up up as well. Prices go up, revenues go up.
GDP of the US is actually smaller than in 1971 when priced in gold. Inflation distorts GDP to make you think it's going up when it is not. Also a much larger portion of GDP is government spending than ever which is at best a net neutral to the economy.

HL3.exe

I don't see any other reason to be supportive of this nonsense.

Matt Leblanc Whatever GIF
Ah, I got you. You read it as if I were 'supporting the argument', rather than just 'pointing it out', which was my intention.
I don't blame you per se, but try not to be so deep in the culture war trenches that you interpret any counter-argument opposed to your ideology as immediate approval of it.

I personally dislike its popularity because it makes the industry so vapid and broad by trying to cater to everyone, which in turn stifles artistic expression. Right now, it feels like it's just chasing trends to avoid taking risks. Which has nothing to do with being woke or whatever.

Ozriel

M$FT
Society now labels masculinity and exercise as toxic traits. It's mostly effeminate, estrogen-driven left-leaning men and loud, obnoxious, insane, blue-haired, lonely women pushing this nonsense. I saw a TikTok where a leftist girl was crying because she wants to date masculine men who work out, but the only ones she can find are conservatives. The left has feminized men, even encouraging them to 'become' women, while treating normal male traits as toxic. For women, they celebrate abortion, vilify motherhood, and condemn the normal, feminine qualities that men naturally like because it’s ingrained into our biology. The world is upside down, and everyone is suffering because of it. The natural order of things has been set on fire. Men don’t want to exercise or work, and the drop in testosterone is just one symptom of society's insanity.

Just be a regular man, do manly things, eat meat (saturated fat is important for regulating testosterone), work, lift weights, and your testosterone will be fine.

Not sure what much of this has to do with gaming, but there’s certainly no shortage of games featuring macho men and lots of testosterone. What’s changed is that there are a whole lot more games being made these days.

How do you watch a trailer for the next DOOM game, with meaty, bloody and visceral action then start griping the next minute because someone showed you a trailer of Creatures of Ava or Tchia? You don’t HAVE to play these games.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom