• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AndyPants Gaming: The Pussification of Videogames

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, ya need me to Google for you
  1. Diverse Player Base: A study by Newzoo revealed that the gaming demographic is becoming increasingly diverse. For example, 46% of gamers are women, 20% are Latinx, 15% are Black, 5% are Asian American, 16% are LGBTQIA+, and 31% have a disability2. This shift towards inclusivity has helped attract a broader audience
No matter how often the Latino community tells these clowns that we are do not like or use Latinx, they keep shoving it down our throat. I guess they know what's best for us.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
left to detox from sexless nerds overwhelmed by modern life
scrubs-where-do-you-think-we-are.gif

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife

Jaybe

Fair points made in the video though the 2024 are cherry-picked there is no denying the games and themes of the 2000s are much less a percent of the genre now. I do find it funny that the 2024 games are from Game Pass. I noticed that DEI/SJW type games were often being added when I had my subscription, then we got insight into Xbox’s gaming diversification and inclusion policies which I’m sure drove what games Sarah Bond wanted to spend the subscription partner budget on. It contributed to making me decide I’d rather buy exactly the games I want and support them than support a bulk buying plan driven in part by DEI ideology.

Humdinger

I don't want to go back to the days when male videogame protagonists were all tough, stoic combat veterans, gruff and grizzled. That got boring real fast. Back then, 20 ago, I hoped that videogames would graduate from that into something more complex. However, I didn't realize it would swing so far into soyboy territory. This is part of a wider phenomenon, of course, not confined to videogames.

There is more variety than he makes it sound like, though. Bro shooters and "masculine" games are still out there. They don't dominate the landscape like they did 20 years ago, but if you want them, you can still find them. However, I do understand his complaint.

Personally, I'd like to see a wide variety of male protagonists, not just the tough/stoic types.

Last edited:
It is fine to give pushback, but you clearly don’t like it when someone pushes back on a source.

Posting WEF and academic studies is great if you acknowledge their own biases. I’m simply asking you to clearly evidence (with numbers) how wider appeal has resulted in increased revenue.

He can't because the evidence doesn't exist. In-fact, all evidence to the contrary. Almost every attempt to appeal to this 'wider audience' has effectively killed the respective franchise. We saw it with Battlefield, Saints Row, Borderlands, Alan Wake, Wolfenstein, Mortal Kombat and so many more. New IP like Forspoken, Suicide Squad or Concord that have been designed with this 'wider audience' in mind have completely flopped. The only time it has ever been somewhat grudgingly accepted is when it has been inserted into the biggest IP i.e. Spider-Man or Overwatch and even then the 'wider audience' appeal is something that came later. Its obvious for everyone to see except the biggest ideologues.

FewRope

Carefully curated rage bait basically, reading the comments under each video and it is pretty clear what the target audience is.
And they fall for it like a charm, if you have no convictions at all you can make some real coin with all of this

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Gamers that grew up during the 8 bit era will never understand all these super easy games that are more cutscenes than game these days.

BlackTron

Kinda ironic with the video this thread was build around, innit?

I haven't watched it yet but I wouldn't really consider myself using a tactic I claim the "wrong other side" is using a great way to make a point. If I watch the video and find many examples of correlation without causation, does that somehow make this better?

HL3.exe

I haven't watched it yet but I wouldn't really consider myself using a tactic I claim the "wrong other side" is using a great way to make a point. If I watch the video and find many examples of correlation without causation, does that somehow make this better?
'wrong other side' wut? Some assumption work is happening there?

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
He hated on Tchia? That's not woke, just about the people of the island it's based on.
That's the issue that bothers me, the most vocal pro-woke and anti-woke people take things too far.
People existing in a video game doesn't make a game woke.
It's when agendas are clearly being pushed that it's an issue.
Flintlock isn't woke either. Wonder what they could be upset about? I asked people repeatedly to point to one single element of Flintlock that is woke besides the main character being black and 1 NPC in the game for like 5 min of dialogue being a black woman. No one could do it. Not one person could point to even one woke detail from the actual game.

Flintlock isn't woke either. Wonder what they could be upset about? I asked people repeatedly to point to one single element of Flintlock that is woke besides the main character being black and 1 NPC in the game for like 5 min of dialogue being a black woman. No one could do it. Not one person could point to even one woke detail from the actual game.

yea I didn't try that game cause the reviews weren't great gameplay wise. But I think that one is mainly cause it was on SBIs website as a game they worked on. That immediately gets put in the woke category for people. Like that steam SBI curator.

BlackTron

'wrong other side' wut? Some assumption work is happening there?

I simply read your posts. Stop being so intentionally disingenuous. You're arguing with everyone in here that they are wrong over it. Dumbass.

So video game revenue has gone up. To take an informed point out of this, you need to look at what games are pulling which numbers. If you don't have raw numbers, go anecdotally.

Anyone not living under a rock can feel the temperature in the room that most DEI-stuffed games are successful despite it, not because of it. Example -Spider-Man 2. It pulled numbers, but so did the first one, and people were shocked at how DEI-infused it was. This series is carried by Spider-Man not DEI and doing this may actually nick sales of the next one now that the trojan horse was delivered.

Then you have games with DEI on the box like Concord.

And the explosive growth of mobile which is a gigantic chunk of the industries' growth and as said earlier is not nearly as affected by this and full of anime girl MTX.

Analyzing multiple variables to come to some sort of informed take is complicated and hard though especially when it goes against your bias 🤷‍♂️

HL3.exe

I simply read your posts. Stop being so intentionally disingenuous. You're arguing with everyone in here that they are wrong over it. Dumbass.

So video game revenue has gone up. To take an informed point out of this, you need to look at what games are pulling which numbers. If you don't have raw numbers, go anecdotally.

Anyone not living under a rock can feel the temperature in the room that most DEI-stuffed games are successful despite it, not because of it. Example -Spider-Man 2. It pulled numbers, but so did the first one, and people were shocked at how DEI-infused it was. This series is carried by Spider-Man not DEI and doing this may actually nick sales of the next one now that the trojan horse was delivered.

Then you have games with DEI on the box like Concord.

And the explosive growth of mobile which is a gigantic chunk of the industries' growth and as said earlier is not nearly as affected by this and full of anime girl MTX.

Analyzing multiple variables to come to some sort of informed take is complicated and hard though especially when it goes against your bias 🤷‍♂️
Ah, I think I understand. I'm addressing one of the video's points where he claims that publishers hate money or are leaving money on the table because they're pandering to "wokeness." But I'm countering that with statistics to show that his take doesn't hold water. This isn't about being for or against any side, although it seems to trigger some folks here. Personally, I don't like pandering content, but there should definitely be room for the expression of what the auteur wants. I don't see it as something that will destroy gaming or culture, despite whatever alarmist grifting is going on.

edit: of course i'm gonna call out some cry-bullying. Whining about DEI of WEF nonsense without any epistemic backing.

Last edited:
True, did the same actually, but what I found was retards afraid of modern society.

Its ok to admit that you are an ideologue. Reading through your comments... what exactly is the point you are trying to make? You are demonstrably wrong concerning you claims that 'wider audience' appeal has led to increased sales. Even according to your own sources. You are empirically wrong regarding your claims that game consumption is split relatively evenly between men and women. Entire genres in the AAA are almost completely consumed by men. Recent studies show what everyone apart from you already knew - study by Capcom. I mean, lets get specific, lets go genre to genre, game to game. Most AAA games are overwhelmingly consumed by straight men. In-fact, as far as I can see you haven't been right about anything. So enlighten us, what exactly is your position? Consider this a challenge... I'm throwing the gauntlet down. Can you actually prove any of the claims you are making?

BlackTron

Ah, I think I understand. I'm addressing one of the video's points where he claims that publishers hate money or are leaving money on the table because they're pandering to "wokeness." But I'm countering that with statistics to show that his take doesn't hold water. This isn't about being for or against any side, although it seems to trigger some folks here. Personally, I don't like pandering content, but there should definitely be room for the expression of what the auteur wants. I don't see it as something that will destroy gaming or culture, despite whatever alarmist grifting is going on.

Yes, and my point is that you are showing massive correlation without causation by throwing total industry growth out there, as proof that it is working just fine. Stellar Blade and Wukong fly off shelves. People come home to play Spider Man 2 after buying it and get pissed off. To the studio actually going through financial ruin, it doesn't make them feel much better that Nintendo is killing it.

HL3.exe

Its ok to admit that you are an ideologue. Reading through your comments... what exactly is the point you are trying to make? You are demonstrably wrong concerning you claims that 'wider audience' appeal has led to increased sales. Even according to your own sources. You are empirically wrong regarding your claims that game consumption is split relatively evenly between men and women. Entire genres in the AAA are almost completely consumed by men. Recent studies show what everyone apart from you already knew - study by Capcom. I mean, lets get specific, lets go genre to genre, game to game. Most AAA games are overwhelmingly consumed by straight men. In-fact, as far as I can see you haven't been right about anything. So enlighten us, what exactly is your position? Consider this a challenge... I'm throwing the gauntlet down. Can you actually prove any of the claims you are making?
no, apparently not. Cause non of the claims will be read as it is all biased propaganda. Apparently only Capcom can have the statistics that matter.

HL3.exe

Yes, and my point is that you are showing massive correlation without causation by throwing total industry growth out there, as proof that it is working just fine. Stellar Blade and Wukong fly off shelves. People come home to play Spider Man 2 after buying it and get pissed off. To the studio actually going through financial ruin, it doesn't make them feel much better that Nintendo is killing it.
It is fine, that's my point. Games aren't dying, or leaving money on the table because of 'Pussifcation'. That's the take i'm attacking.

Success

'Hate money?' Revenue only got up in last 20 years with the help of the wider appeal.

I prefer my 'more grounded' character writing in games too, don't get me wrong. But the 'pandering to a wider audience' is capitalism 101 and only seems to work in their favor, so they'll definitely continue with that.

50-Years-of-Video-Game-Revenue-Dec-31.jpg

Edit: ah gotya, this Andypants Gaming guy is another one of those boring culture war retards, copy-pasting 'feelz' twitter talking points like some gpt bot 🥱

Sad thing is that GAF worships this guy.

It is rather sad to see how triggered people on GAF get about this.

Last edited:

Lunnarre

Neo Member
  1. Diverse Player Base: A study by Newzoo revealed that the gaming demographic is becoming increasingly diverse. For example, 46% of gamers are women, 20% are Latinx, 15% are Black, 5% are Asian American, 16% are LGBTQIA+, and 31% have a disability2. This shift towards inclusivity has helped attract a broader audience.
This seems to imply that there weren't already a large amount of Latino, Black, Asian, and LGBT gamers. The only ones you could argue have had a meaningful increase would be women and disabled ( mainly due to better accessibility options in games as well as hardware) gamers. There also doesn't seem to be anything to show that increase is due to more "diverse" games.

'Hate money?' Revenue only got up in last 20 years with the help of the wider appeal.

I prefer my 'more grounded' character writing in games too, don't get me wrong. But the 'pandering to a wider audience' is capitalism 101 and only seems to work in their favor, so they'll definitely continue with that.

50-Years-of-Video-Game-Revenue-Dec-31.jpg

Edit: ah gotya, this Andypants Gaming guy is another one of those boring culture war retards, copy-pasting 'feelz' twitter talking points like some gpt bot 🥱

This is a culture war not a fact war. Now where's your graph that shows how angry gamers are? That's what we really need to see.

HL3.exe

Mental gymnastics case study.
Gotya, nice gaslighting.
"Despite LGBTQI&6* being only 3% of the population, they are taking over videogames. Why, you ask? Because publishers seem to hate money and want to lose all of it."

It's literally in OP's text and I engaged with the remark. But i'm not sure why I'm even trying anymore hahah. Lose lose situation

BlackTron

Gotya, nice gaslighting.
"Despite LGBTQI&6* being only 3% of the population, they are taking over videogames. Why, you ask? Because publishers seem to hate money and want to lose all of it."

It's literally in OP's text and I engaged with the remark. But i'm not sure why I'm even trying anymore hahah. Lose lose situation

Western publishers go DEI and lose money

Nintendo does Nintendo and skyrockets charts

Proof that DEI does not kill gaming and Western publishers do in fact love money

HL3.exe

Proof that DEI does not kill gaming and Western publishers do in fact love money
I'm good on that one chief, nothing I can do to convince you of your alarmist fear mongering culture war brainrot. Eventhough there are plenty of other more damning problems in the industry itself like inequality, talent retention and cheap trend chasing

But of course, DEI is ruined everything, those damn queers, am I right?

Zathalus

There are lots of games that have DEI aspects to them and make good money. Another thing that the DEI games that bomb have in common is that they are pretty bad or niche games in and of themselves. Remove the DEI aspects from Suicide Squad or Concorde and I doubt the games would have sold significantly better.

BlackTron

I'm good on that one chief, nothing I can do to convince you of your alarmist fear mongering culture war brainrot. Eventhough there are plenty of other more damning problems in the industry itself like inequality, talent retention and cheap trend chasing

But of course, DEI is ruined everything, those damn queers, am I right?

You appear to acknowledge that DEI is not good for a game, but your "point" is that it doesn't matter because total industry revenue has gone up.

In doing so, you have already admitted DEI bad for games.

BlackTron

There are lots of games that have DEI aspects to them and make good money. Another thing that the DEI games that bomb have in common is that they are pretty bad or niche games in and of themselves. Remove the DEI aspects from Suicide Squad or Concorde and I doubt the games would have sold significantly better.

Yeah I agree. Like Overwatch before they lost the plot and jacked it up to 11, or SM2 which snuck it under the radar using the brand and hype from the last game.

I never said DEI was a guaranteed death sentence but by and large it represents failed games or dragging down existing IP.

HL3.exe

You appear to acknowledge that DEI is not good for a game, but your "point" is that it doesn't matter because total industry revenue has gone up.

In doing so, you have already admitted DEI bad for games.
Nope, i'm not saying it 'good' or 'bad'. I'm saying it doesn't matter. And pinning every problem on one scapegoat that's barely provable isn't a healthy way determine actual problems.

BlackTron

Nope, i'm not saying it 'good' or 'bad'. I'm saying it doesn't matter. And pinning every problem on one scapegoat that's barely provable isn't a healthy way determine actual problems.

I'm not pinning every problem on one scapegoat. I'm pinning observable problems with an observable cause.

Just having a DEI team makes it more likely the game will suck over another game because the team was chosen for their hair color, pronouns and politics instead of skills. Anyone who values their time or money will eventually pick up on cues that seem to mark lame ass games and they forcibly made DEI one of them.

It's like licensed movie games. Does being a licensed game timed for a movie release mean a game will suck? No. Does it mean we are skeptical because we are tired of the bullshit? Duh, we figured this out as kids, being human beings capable of passively noticing patterns.

I'm still not sure whether your take is that people ding DEI games but it doesn't matter because total revenue is up, or if your take is that DEI doesn't make a difference, because your takes seem context-sensitive lol.

Anyone not living under a rock can feel the temperature in the room that most DEI-stuffed games are successful despite it, not because of it. Example -Spider-Man 2. It pulled numbers, but so did the first one, and people were shocked at how DEI-infused it was. This series is carried by Spider-Man not DEI and doing this may actually nick sales of the next one now that the trojan horse was delivered. Then you have games with DEI on the box like Concord.
Ah, I think I understand.

How the fuck can you "understand" that without thinking it's a negative? By flipping context between fine for game studio and fine for game industry 5 times per minute?

HL3.exe

How the fuck can you "understand" that without thinking it's a negative? By flipping context between fine for game studio and fine for game industry 5 times per minute?
Wait, can a thing have problems without it being the worst thing ever imaginable? Yes or no?

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Based on the title I thought this was gonna be about difficulty in videogames gradually going waaaay too far down. How PS1/PS2 games were much easier than old Nintendo games. And in turn how Xbox 360 games were much easier than PS1/PS2 games. And so forth. But its just another identity politics thread ZZZzzz

BlackTron

Wait, can a thing have problems without it being the worst thing ever imaginable? Yes or no?

Yes. What's your point and how does it apply here?

Can rushed movie tie in games suffer from problems and bad reputation without rushing a movie game being the WORST THING IMAGINABLE? Uh, yes? lol

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
hUTrVSK.jpeg

HL3.exe

Yes. What's your point and how does it apply here?

Can rushed movie tie in games suffer from problems and bad reputation without rushing a movie game being the WORST THING IMAGINABLE? Uh, yes? lol
There ya go, that's my position on the whole DEI thing. Can it be good in shepherding different voices? yes. Can it be cringe and incredibly tone deaf? also yes.
It's not healthy to pin all the problems of modern game development on one thing and see it as a inherently bad thing. Things are never inherently 'good' or 'bad'. Just things we need to be solved step by step.

Last edited:
Oh, ya need me to Google for you?
  1. Revenue Growth: The global gaming market is projected to reach $321 billion by 20261. This growth has been fueled by an expanding and diverse player base.
  2. Diverse Player Base: A study by Newzoo revealed that the gaming demographic is becoming increasingly diverse. For example, 46% of gamers are women, 20% are Latinx, 15% are Black, 5% are Asian American, 16% are LGBTQIA+, and 31% have a disability2. This shift towards inclusivity has helped attract a broader audience.
  3. Impact of Inclusivity: The push for diversity and inclusion in gaming has not only enriched the gaming ecosystem but also fostered more engaged and loyal player communities2. Players appreciate character customization and representation, which has translated into higher engagement and spending.
  4. Market Expansion: The U.S. game industry revenue exceeded $43 billion in 2018, an 18% increase over the previous year3. This growth is partly attributed to the industry’s efforts to appeal to underrepresented groups, such as women and non-white ethnicities3.
Funny because I personally don't care much about diversity, let alone forced diversity. It's why the culture wars are inherently boring to me. But i'm not delusional in denying epistemic reality.
I've skimmed through those articles and I think you're being entirely deceptive. The first article elaborates growing population and the Covid lockdowns attributed to growth. The 2nd article is study is within a small 4000 person study. The third point is moot, character customization has always been a thing since the Sims and was popular back then. The 4th one... I can't find a direct quote where it attributes growth to underrepresented groups. If anything, the whole 3 part article as about addressing those groups and how they have a lack of diverse main characters in games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom