• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime - Summer 08 - Show info and discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Hellsing321 said:
For someone who's never seen Slayers would I be able to understand Slayers R or would I need to go back and watch the earlier series?
Given that 10 years have passed since the last series they're doing a lot of reintroduction. Still, you should watch the earlier series anyway.

Funimation is releasing "Season 1" box sets of Yu Yu Hakusho (July 8) and Case Closed (July 22).

51WfwD%2BZ87L._SS500_.jpg

51qBo1CDWQL._SS500_.jpg

The Case Closed set has 25 episodes (one episode has two parts) and the Yu Yu Hakusho set has 28.

Prices:

YYH - $35 ($24 on Amazon)
CC - $50 ($45 on Amazon; Expect this price to drop like the prices of the DBZ sets have)

NH Apache

Banned
Thanks for the reccomendation for Birdy the Mighty. I'm looking into the OVAs as we speak so I can get some backstory on the new episodes. I'm psyched!:D

I am up to the fifth episode of Mnemosyne. I really enjoy the story so far, and I know there is only one more epispde. I could have done without the unnecessary nudity, but otherwise it is really one of the better animes I have seen in a while. :)

On another note, is anyone else getting prompted for a secure login when clicking on page 4 of this thread? It asks me to login-in to randomc.animeblogger.net. Maybe a bad hotlink?

When I first saw it, I freaked, shutdown all networking, did spyware and virus checks, rebooted into safe mode and still got it off the restart. Soooo, I'm assuming its not me...

BTW Shouta, thanks a lot for the subs on the first ep of Birdy. I just finished reading this thread and the other at narutofan(I think). Had no idea you did subs as well! Where oh where do you find the time! *bows

Dascu

NH Apache said:
I am up to the fifth episode of Mnemosyne. I really enjoy the story so far, and I know there is only one more epispde. I could have done without the unnecessary nudity, but otherwise it is really one of the better animes I have seen in a while. :)
Are you being serious? Mnemosyne is absolutely atrocious. The art and animation isn't anything special (certainly for an OVA series), the plot and characters are just silly and there's nothing memorable on the music front either. Even the ecchi bits are just horrible.

rykomatsu

so the BS11 airing of birdy's out and it seems like either a) it's in HD or b) the upscaling that was done was really really good...

Ronok

Watched the first ep of Birdy and I almost stoped watching at the start, I wasn't that interested, but, it improved and I think I'll give this show a chance. :D

Shirokun

Dascu said:
Are you being serious? Mnemosyne is absolutely atrocious. The art and animation isn't anything special (certainly for an OVA series), the plot and characters are just silly and there's nothing memorable on the music front either. Even the ecchi bits are just horrible.

Bah. It has its issues but it's still a fun little romp. And the main character is awesome!

Now, off to watch Birdy to see what the deal is! :D

rykomatsu

Natsume Yuujincho- was really quite good. The animation quality isn't on par with say Birdy or most Kyoto Animation productions, but the story line seems to be interesting; similar in concept to Mokke from winter '07, but this one actually kept my attention. The ending of the episode plot was also quite touching with the whole concept of it being more difficult to tolerate being ignored or forgotten than to be lonely. Interested to see how it progresses..if the quality maintains itself, I think this will be a pretty memorable high quality series.

World Destruction...the OP animation and the song I really took a liking to, as well as the premise to the story of the heroes bringing the world to destruction instead of saving the world from an apocalyptic demise. On the flipside, though, with the various races depicted rather...comically...for lack of a better term, it kinda brings the tension down and makes it somewhat difficult to take seriously. They could have taken a page or 2 out of Utawarerumono's race design. Maaya's performance is quite good, though her "battle shouts" (for lack of a better term) seemed a little out of line with the rest of her acting. Nice touch in that after each ep but before each preview, there'll be a little bit of coverage of the actual game coming out in september as a nice added touch. I'm guessing Sega's hurting a little bit (just a little) from the lower than hoped for Valkyria sales so it seems like they're trying to get the word out there about the upcoming RPG that this anime is based off of (or would it be anime that the RPG is based off of?)

Will most likely keep watching World Destruction regardless of the odd racial character designs.

7Th

For those interested, Studio 4ºC's newest omnibus production "Genius Party" has finally been released in DVD. As it would be expected, it is already available in the usual sources.

Jesus Christ I have just experienced Gurren Lagann. Holy fuck is it good.

I may just buy the other 2 sub dvds and buy the English dub release also. Its just really good.

Just when I was down on the anime thing because Geass and Macross F Gurren Lagann comes and rises my belief in anime and Japan itself.

Shirokun said:
Just started? It keeps getting better and better and never really lets up!
Well I never followed the fansubs of it and picked up the 1st dvd this morning.

Its a bright future when this and Gundam 00 are being made.

Relix said:
It's sad when the Naruto filler arc is as good, or better than some manga arcs :lol

Holy shit the double episode was pretty freaking good!

I just finished watching last night...VERY IMPRESSED...and I honestly think it's better than the manga episodes, so far.

Plus the animation was quality! Fast paced fighting scenes...there was a quick scene that had me in awe...(I might have to rewatch it, to pinpoint exactly which one).

Fireblend

Banned
Decado said:
Almost completely dies after the first half of the season, IMO.
The second half is as good as the first one, IMO. It definitely has the best episodes of the whole show at least.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
Hated the anime, but Loved the Music. oh gurren lagann why must we have this love/hate relationship.

7Th

Decado said:
Almost completely dies after the first half of the season, IMO.

You're insane. The second half takes the core ideas previously delivered through the narrative and excellently reinforces them through well-delivered archetypical challenge. Other than the admittedly annoying outsourcing and episode 24, there's absolutely nothing to dislike... unless you hate good cartoon writing, that is.

mugwhump said:
Holy poop there's a BotI anime?!? Why didn't you guys tell me? :eek:

Because it's produced by Bee Train.

rykomatsu

Smiles and Cries said:
OMG OMG there is a Sekirei anime this month??? when???

it started this month...it's this summer's Rosario & Vampire...didn't think it was all that great and i'm assuming the chars are all pretty old because they're rather...droopy...:p

rykomatsu said:
it started this month...it's this summer's Rosario & Vampire...didn't think it was all that great and i'm assuming the chars are all pretty old because they're rather...droopy...:p

I was only happy because I read over 60 chapters of the manga the past few days

droopy is not in the manga :(
have not seen any of the anime since the wii does not support flash 9 and I did not check youtube yet

Cloudy

Banned
Eureka Seven is probably my favorite show. I like that sort of "epic adventure" stuff or slice of life with great character interaction (Nana).

I will also give extra points for nice art, good music and likeable characters. Those factors can push a seemingly mediocre anime into elite status (Gundam SEED).

Comedies are good too but an ongoing story (Minami-Ke, School Rumble etc.) instead of random episodic crap.

Finally, I'm a sucker for teen angst :D

Fireblend

Banned
Other than Birdy this season sucks, IMO. Unless I'm missing some surprise hidden among the tons of crappy shows being released, I'll only be sticking to that and Natsume Yuujincho as the first episode wasn't too bad. I've got plenty of other shows carried over from last season anyway...

Fireblend

Banned
zoku88 said:
Did you not like Slayers?

DIE FOR YOUR SINS, HEATHEN!!!! :mad:
Oh. I'd love to watch it, but I haven't seen the old seasons and don't really feel like catching up. And even if I watched it and thought it wasn't good I wouldn't be able to have a proper criteria since I've not seen what's before, so yeah, I don't know about Slayers.

DieH@rd

Banned
Finaly, a real Casshern adaptation:

---------------
キャシャーン SINS
Casshern SINS

Genre: sci-fi
Adaptation/remake of the 1973 series "Shinzo Ningen Casshan."

This remake was announced at this year's TAF. Production will be done by madhouse, with Shigeyasu Yamauchi as director, Yasuko Kobayashi doing series composition, and Yoshihiko Umakoshi doing character designs.

Air date is Fall 2008. In the original series, a group of robots created by Dr. Azuma go out of control when they determine that humans are harmful to the earth's ecosystem. After the robots have gained control of Earth, the doctor's son, Tetsuya, decides to have himself turned into a cyborg for the purpose of defeating these robots and freeing mankind from their rule.

A live-action movie adaptation by Kazuaki Kiriya was released in 2004.

cassherntv-v.jpg

Trailer - http://www.manganimation.net/news/?p=320
-----------------------

Awesome! Animation & chard designs are so good, cant wait to see it released. And also Yasuko Kobayashi [series composition] is the lead writer on Blassreiter. That show has the best pacing in the anime ive seen so far in the last few years.

zoku88

Fireblend said:
Oh. I'd love to watch it, but I haven't seen the old seasons and don't really feel like catching up. And even if I watched it and thought it wasn't good I wouldn't be able to have a proper criteria since I've not seen what's before, so yeah, I don't know about Slayers.
That seems fair enough

BUT YOU ARE YET TO BE FORGIVEN FOR NOT WATCHING PREVIOUS SEASONS!! :mad:

NH Apache

Banned
So, just watched two great animes:

2cpf52c.jpg

1. Sword of the Stranger - Directed by Masahiro Ando, this is an incredibly fluid anime set in Fuedal time Japan. Animation was very good imo, and storyline was beter than average. Overall, I really enjoyed the movie and would definitely reccomend it in a heartbeat.

2rx7eds.jpg

2. Batman: Gothic Knight - If you have ever seen The Animatrix, you can understand where this is coming from. Five or six different episodes (I don;t remember off the top of my head and IMDB lists 5 directors for 6 different parts?) that are done with different art direction and obvious storyline. They do, however, seem to link very closely with the newer Bale movies as opposed to the old series. Really, really enjoyed all of the episodes, including the first one, "Have I Got a Story For You," directed by Shoujirou Nishimi. They will knock your socks off, if only for the visuals. The one extra perk: Kevin Conroy as your classic animated Batman. If you enjoy anime or Batman in any way, shape, or form, you must see this flick!!!

Edit: Annnnnnd there seems to be a big friggin thread on the Batmanime already. My bad.

Xabora

DieH@rd said:
Finaly, a real Casshern adaptation:

---------------
キャシャーン SINS
Casshern SINS

Genre: sci-fi
Adaptation/remake of the 1973 series "Shinzo Ningen Casshan."

This remake was announced at this year's TAF. Production will be done by madhouse, with Shigeyasu Yamauchi as director, Yasuko Kobayashi doing series composition, and Yoshihiko Umakoshi doing character designs.
YES!!

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Holy shit, the cat demon thing on Natsume Yuujinchou sports the NeoGAF logo... and I am not fucking kidding :lol

Anybody watching Itzura na Kiss? I can't believe (episode 14 spoiler)
They got married just like that. WTF.
and 12 more episodes left to go, too.

Zoe

vas_a_morir said:
Anybody watching Itzura na Kiss? I can't believe (episode 14 spoiler)
They got married just like that. WTF.
and 12 more episodes left to go, too.
Wow, they're that far already? It will be interesting to see how they make up an ending.

I *really* hate the characters though. They have not aged well.

Zoe said:
Wow, they're that far already? It will be interesting to see how they make up an ending.

I *really* hate the characters though. They have not aged well.

How have they aged? If anything, they having matured enough. Being a heterosexual male watching a show meant for girls, I tend to empathize with the male characters. I of course, feel the message of this show, which is "never give up; stand by your man!" is more like "women like men who abuse them. Nice guys like Kin-chan get shit on, no matter how hard they try. The end."

7Th

vas_a_morir said:
How have they aged? If anything, they having matured enough. Being a heterosexual male watching a show meant for girls, I tend to empathize with the male characters. I of course, feel the message of this show, which is "never give up; stand by your man!" is more like "women like men who abuse them. Nice guys like Kin-chan get shit on, no matter how hard they try. The end."

I think he meant that the show is an adaptation from an old-school manga and that he feels the old-school characters aren't fit for this new era.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom