• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime - Summer 08 - Show info and discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoe

^ she

vas_a_morir said:
How have they aged? If anything, they having matured enough.

I mean in the sense of taking an early '90's series and releasing more than 15 years later. Irie is the kind of guy that modern Japanese women are trying to avoid.

Zoe said:
^ she

I mean in the sense of taking an early '90's series and releasing more than 15 years later. Irie is the kind of guy that modern Japanese women are trying to avoid.

After I typed that, I figured you might have meant this. I see what you mean.

vas_a_morir said:
Anybody watching Itzura na Kiss? I can't believe (episode 14 spoiler)
They got married just like that. WTF.
and 12 more episodes left to go, too.

Shit, I quoted this and I saw your spoiler...well part of it..well just one word!

I am 13 in...and I was going to watch 14.

vas_a_morir said:
How have they aged? If anything, they having matured enough. Being a heterosexual male watching a show meant for girls, I tend to empathize with the male characters. I of course, feel the message of this show, which is "never give up; stand by your man!" is more like "women like men who abuse them. Nice guys like Kin-chan get shit on, no matter how hard they try. The end."

Nice guys do get shitted on though...that's reality.

Cloudy

Banned
vas_a_morir said:
The bass player is a real cutey if I remember correctly. But, I think we can agree that Aishiteiru is the pussiest song evar.

I like the video a lot though. I wish more bands had a male/female vocalist combo like them..

Shouta

Ep 2 of Birdy was good. Just as amusing and fun to watch as the first ep. The fight animation isn't half of what it was in the first episode (but that's standard for like every series) thought but it was a lot better than the majority of shows when they aren't in their key sequences. The art was also consistent too which gives it a leg up over a lot of things.

AAK

I watched the first episode of Kaiba, and my mind is about to explode. Weirdest anime first episode I've ever seen.

Is this bizarro world worth the viewing to all who are up to date?

Fireblend

Banned
AAK said:
I watched the first episode of Kaiba, and my mind is about to explode. Weirdest anime first episode I've ever seen.

Is this bizarro world worth the viewing to all who are up to date?
YES

rykomatsu

Shouta said:
Ep 2 of Birdy was good. Just as amusing and fun to watch as the first ep. The fight animation isn't half of what it was in the first episode (but that's standard for like every series) thought but it was a lot better than the majority of shows when they aren't in their key sequences. The art was also consistent too which gives it a leg up over a lot of things.

The only problem I have with Birdy is the effect of gravity (or lack thereof) while moving in the air during fight sequences...it just feels odd; i can't quite put my finger on it beyond that. I'm really enjoying Chiba Saeko's voice acting a lot. Quite a few critiques about her acting while she's Shion to be quite annoying but I find it to be quite "cute" for lack of a better term. I never saw the OVA so can't comment in relation to the original acting by Kotono. I definitely like the newer artwork (based on the OVA dvd cover) in DECODE.

Decided to order vol 1&2 of the new run of Birdy in Young...Sunday? Looking forward to reading that in the near future :)

batbeg

bigmit3737 said:
Nabari No OU is finallllllly taking off. :D

Anyone else watch episode 14?

Definitely enjoyable for what it is, as it progresses the plot relatively quickly and they steer clear of filler. I'm genuinely interested in seeing where it's going to go, as they've done so much I wasn't expecting. I've liked everything about the show, except the lame humor.

Jason

Cloudy said:
World of Destruction ep 1 was ok...

The two main characters seem interesting enough. Don't care much for the bear thing.

I was pleasantly surprised by Ryoko's Case File and, uh, Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu looks to be my guilty pleasure pick of the season. :lol

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Code Geass R2 Episode 14 must be the greatest episode in the series existance! Things are moving fast and everything is GREAT :D

mephesta

Hey Relix there is one thing I have found that goes great with Geass and that is Darry's analysis of the episode. After I watch, I go straight here and read his comments, they enhance the show alot. (basically he pokes fun at it's ridiculousness).

http://derailedbydarry.com/

Defuser

Birdy ep2 was good. For some reason I can't put a finger on it when it comes to the fights...I dunno,maybe it's impact?

Oh man this show really gives off a gurren lagann vibe although the plot and setting is different.

Simon looking type character? Check
Hot looking chick similar to yoko? Check
A homosexual guy? Check
Afromania ED? Check

Won

Just watched the first episode of "Blade of the Immortal". Expected something really bad after all the talk here. Looks like it met my expectations. >.<

Xisiqomelir

Okay, so in an attempt to understand Anime-GAF's hatred for Code Geass, I borrowed my friend's DVDs and started watching season 1 (at Ep 11 atm).

Does Season 2 take a plunge into shittiness or something? Because so far Season 1 is pretty great, what with all the factions and mecha types and intrigues. Also, Lelouch's assholery is highly entertaining to me.

Dead

well not really...yet
Xisiqomelir said:
Okay, so in an attempt to understand Anime-GAF's hatred for Code Geass, I borrowed my friend's DVDs and started watching season 1 (at Ep 11 atm).

Does Season 2 take a plunge into shittiness or something? Because so far Season 1 is pretty great, what with all the factions and mecha types and intrigues. Also, Lelouch's assholery is highly entertaining to me.
Episode 11 is great, the show was fine until that point. The show becomes shitty and ridiculous/lolz worthy afterwards.

Season 2 is pretty much worse than Gundam Seed Destiny.

zoku88

Xisiqomelir said:

I started hating the series after episode 12 or 13. I liked the beginning of the series, though.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Xisiqomelir said:

Allot of Gaf posters are extremely one sided put it that way. They worship shit sometimes, and completely unforgiving to others:lol

For the most part, its more of the same except it gets escalated more. I love the show for that reason. Just keeps a nice pass, makes its plot twists, and doesn't look back. Highly entertaining:lol

Pellham

Banned
Xisiqomelir said:

:lol I don't get it either but don't let it bother you. There's a lot of people on Anime-GAF that seem to think that their elitist opinions are the law (i'm looking at you, 7th).

The show wouldn't be so fucking popular if it sucked.

zoku88

Pellham said:
The show wouldn't be so fucking popular if it sucked.
This is faulty logic, btw. (Logically fallacy.) Not saying your conclusion is wrong (I know lots of people who like it who are generally anime fans, even though I abhor it.)

Don't forget, SEED is popular ;)

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Xisiqomelir said:

The show isn't bad in comparison to other programmes, but many of the characters and situations are so ridiculously contrived and unreal that it's difficult to take it seriously. Both of the main characters are arseholes, the designs are not particularly brilliant, and the mecha fights, though exciting, are nothing nobody has never seen everywhere else. I have to commend it on the mind-fucking strategies between Zero and his opponents, but everywhere else it seems as if the writers were pulling stuff out of their arses.

I, for one, love it because of this. It's like a mindless blockbuster movie with many plot twists every single week. Writing-wise, however, it is atrocious. You need to be in a certain mindset to be able to enjoy it.

rykomatsu

Xisiqomelir said:

So like...if you banged a fat chick and enjoyed it, would you tell others about it? think of it in that fashion :p

on another note...man...birdy ep3 ending was really well done imho...one of my favorite characters too lol.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Decided to give anime a break for awhile, I've got a lot of episodes to watch but I couldn't resist checking out two anime I've been wanting to watch ever since this thread came about.

World Destruction - Heaps better than I was expecting. Female lead character who isn't a push-over, a male lead character who is an absolute joker but I would easily befriend, and a small "bear" who seems to be striving to become a real knight in shining armour :lol Can't wait for the rest of this series.

Antique Bakery - A lot of gay humour but I love it when it's like that. It's also surprisingly very heartwarming. I can't really explain much more but all I can say is Antique Bakery = Ouran x Bartender + a dash of Yakitate. It doesn't take itself too seriously yet camps up the seriousness brilliantly somehow. A shame (or maybe a blessing) it's only 12 episodes. I absolutely adore both the OP and ED in terms of animation ideas and songs - everyone should check them out at some stage as the way they are done is quite original.

Now there's only one more series I have to grab in Chocolate Underground. I hope it turns out decent because originally I wasn't very optimistic for this season and I couldn't be more wrong so far.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Dead said:
Episode 11 is great, the show was fine until that point. The show becomes shitty and ridiculous/lolz worthy afterwards.

Season 2 is pretty much worse than Gundam Seed Destiny.

It hits a slump between 12-18 but afterwards its as great. Season 2 starts good, kinda slows down, and its now on hyper-ownage mode. If it wasn't popular GAF would love it, but since it is... of course we need to hate on it. So... SCREW YOU CODE GEASS!

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Blade of the Immortal was straight shitty.
World of Destruction sounds like a cool concept, but too much furies for me.
Birdy is cool, but I haven't watched past Ep1 yet.

speedpop

Relix said:
It hits a slump between 12-18 but afterwards its as great. Season 2 starts good, kinda slows down, and its now on hyper-ownage mode. If it wasn't popular GAF would love it, but since it is... of course we need to hate on it. So... SCREW YOU CODE GEASS!
:lol Anyone who takes the word of GAF as gospel needs to step away from the door for a little bit. Whilst times the GAF opinion can be valid (H&C, Paradise Kiss, Bokura ga Ita), other times it can really stink. It really depends on what you believe you want to watch and move on from there.

I think Code Geass is different because it was a mecha that was hyped up, let alone having Goro Taniguchi at the director helm with Ichiro Okouchi as the writer. People (including myself) were expecting something as great as Planetes.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Relix said:
oh and we need a new Full Metal Panic already goddammit...
Hell yea...We have a 3rd season of Black Lagoon coming out. Only rightful now.

But of course they rather contuine to make shit instead...*cries*

speedpop

Rahxephon91 said:
Gaf thinks Paradise Kiss is bad?
I meant in terms of thinking it's good. I know I certainly wouldn't have bothered to watch it unless I saw a few opinions on GAF saying it was great.

speedpop said:
I meant in terms of thinking it's good. I know I certainly wouldn't have bothered to watch it unless I saw a few opinions on GAF saying it was great.
Good to hear as I'm thinking of getting the pack when it comes out in September.

duckroll

Code Geass is shit. Saying that people hate it because its popular is retarded. Gundam 00 is much more popular than Code Geass both in ratings and in sales, and it gets tons of love around here. You'll have to come up with better excuses than that to defend your shitty show! :p

Kipe

duckroll said:
Code Geass is shit. Saying that people hate it because its popular is retarded. Gundam 00 is much more popular than Code Geass both in ratings and in sales, and it gets tons of love around here. You'll have to come up with better excuses than that to defend your shitty show! :p

CG was near greatness 3/4th of the first season and then it went to shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom