• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime - Summer 08 - Show info and discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Busaiku

speedpop said:
Now there's only one more series I have to grab in Chocolate Underground. I hope it turns out decent because originally I wasn't very optimistic for this season and I couldn't be more wrong so far.
It's absolutely hilarious.
Unlike Library Wars, it probably isn't meant to be serious at all.
Everything's just so ridiculous, I can't help but laugh the whole way through.
They're short watches too, only 4-5 minutes an episodes, 15 seconds less without the preview.

Can someone recommend me a sub-team for Macross Frontier?
I was watching Shout's team, but they seemed to have stopped mid-way.

duckroll said:
Code Geass is shit. Saying that people hate it because its popular is retarded. Gundam 00 is much more popular than Code Geass both in ratings and in sales, and it gets tons of love around here. You'll have to come up with better excuses than that to defend your shitty show! :p
except code geass is better than that Gundam nonsense.

Macross F is loosing me, I like the characters and I don't mind their design but this echi shit is getting on my nerves. And bring back 2D animation for the fights. Either make the whole show 3D or use it less times like Macross Plus or something.

zoku88

bigmit3737 said:
Can someone recommend me a sub-team for Macross Frontier?
I was watching Shout's team, but they seemed to have stopped mid-way.
I just use gg. I have no idea if they're good or not, but what do I know? I don't know jpn :lol :lol

zoku88

duckroll said:
Code Geass is shit. Saying that people hate it because its popular is retarded. Gundam 00 is much more popular than Code Geass both in ratings and in sales, and it gets tons of love around here. You'll have to come up with better excuses than that to defend your shitty show! :p
Is that really true? I watched 00 for like, 1 ep then determined that it was probably another Gundam W or SEED. Prolly a bit premature.

Is it actually a good series?

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
flintstryker said:
except code geass is better than that Gundam nonsense.

I have never liked Gundam, in fact I considered it shit... till Gundam 00. At first it din't grab me but post episode 9 or along that it grabbed me. Awesome, awesome how :D

Thing with Code Geass, is that though it can get ridiculous at points, the story does try to make a point and the characters are likeable, plus the underlying plots keep you coming back unlike some anime out there. It's enjoyable, and its no wonder its in the Top 10 of Animenewsnetwork.com Anime list (Cdode Geass R2 that is). It's an entertaining show and thats what matters to me.... and at least it has some interesting stuff on it.

On the other hand, Macross Frontier is a fucking disaster.

Fun Scale:
Code Geass>Gundam 00>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Macross Frontier
zoku88 said:
Is that really true? I watched 00 for like, 1 ep then determined that it was probably another Gundam W or SEED. Prolly a bit premature.

Its fucking awesome :lol

duckroll

zoku88 said:

It's probably the best AU Gundam series outside of Turn-A.

It's enjoyable, and its no wonder its in the Top 10 of Animenewsnetwork.com Anime list (Cdode Geass R2 that is).

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
duckroll said:
It's probably the best AU Gundam series outside of Turn-A.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Trying to make a point that there are many people out there enjoy Code Geass..... not trying to measure how it compares to other anime.

zoku88

Well, maybe i should watch it. I mean, I thought the premise was silly (they seem to be just self-righteous terrorists in the first episode.) I'm guessing the premise of the show changes?

duckroll

Relix said:
Trying to make a point that there are many people out there enjoy Code Geass..... not trying to measure how it compares to other anime.

There are many more people out there that enjoy DBZ too. What's your point?

zoku88 said:
Well, maybe i should watch it. I mean, I thought the premise was silly (they seem to be just self-righteous terrorists in the first episode.) I'm guessing the premise of the show changes?

That's the very point of the series, and it deals with it a lot, both personally and politically.

duckroll said:
I guess we can agree that Code Geass is the best of the crap then. :D
no code geass is better than a lot of animei see gaf wetting themselves over.

Then again i don't really care about the Gaf popular opinion on anything since its almost always wrong.

duckroll

flintstryker said:
no code geass is better than a lot of animei see gaf wetting themselves over.

Then again i don't really care about the Gaf popular opinion on anything since its almost always wrong.

Oh look, another "GAF popular opinion" guy. Either you're part of the community, or you're not. Don't try to make it so you're some special outsider who has a better opinion than "GAF". You post here, so you ARE part of GAF. Sometimes you will agree with what other people like, sometimes you won't. Ego trip much?

rykomatsu

duckroll said:
There are many more people out there that enjoy DBZ too. What's your point?

the dragonball demographic was what...4~9 year old prepubescent boys...i would think the demographic for CG would be a little more discerning than that...

zoku88

rykomatsu said:
the dragonball demographic was what...4~9 year old prepubescent boys...i would think the demographic for CG would be a little more discerning than that...
Is that a joke?

Beezy

Why do anime fans always think that they're better than other anime fans? You're all grown ass men watching cartoons in a language you don't know.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Beezy said:
Why do anime fans always think that they're better than other anime fans? You're all grown ass men watching cartoons in a language you don't know.
It's a natural cycle. Things that people enjoy would sleep better at night knowing other people agree with them.

I try to steer clear of it most of the time. Not my fault if no one recognises Mushishi as one of the greatest anime of the past decade.

Beezy

speedpop said:
It's a natural cycle. Things that people enjoy would sleep better at night knowing other people agree with them.

I try to steer clear of it most of the time. Not my fault if no one recognises Mushishi as one of the greatest anime of the past decade.
Yeah, Mushishi was good. Isn't the manga still going on? I wanted more. :(

zoku88

rykomatsu said:
no...atleast not back in Japan.
I think the whole dragonball/DBZ age group is a bit wider than that...

I mean, its pretty broad... I don't see it much different than Naruto. (neither of which I like..)

EDIT: Can 4 year olds even read? Plus, you'd like to aim manga at ppl who can at least buy the magazines. So at least, the demographic would be something around the part where kids get an allowance.

Mumei

speedpop said:

Fourth best, in my opinion.

Monster, Rurouni Kenshin Tsuiokuhen, and Juuni Kokki are better.

Well, the first two are. I liked Juuni Kokki more, but I guess Mushishi is a bit better, what with it not having incomplete story arcs.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
speedpop said:

Just the way it is, People need others to agree with themselves to valid their opinion
But the one version of those that really get to me in the most humorous of ways...Are when they go all out about the big 3 Shonens series. Its like they have these camps made. You have to either scream Naruto...One Piece or Bleach. They all have the angle they play too and everything. It is really just...amazing how far and well planned it is. Its like Sony vs MS vs Nintendo.
Don't ever mention they are all just as generic as each other :lol

Of course I do understand a bit some times when you really find a great series that no one really watches. Like Ookiku Furikabutte on here. The few who watched it here loved it, but not enough to actually get a discussion going

Barrage

rykomatsu said:
the dragonball demographic was what...4~9 year old prepubescent boys......

I would hope it wasn't 4-9 year old pubescent boys...otherwise there's something in the water

Dina

Just saw ep3 of Slayers Revolution and I'm still liking it. Obviously, these are still the early happy-go-lucky episodes before the arch nemesis and the corresponding story-arc comes along.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Birdy and Slayers REVOLUTION are the only two shows that have grabbed my attention this season. Am I missing something noteworthy, GAF?

Tamanon

Banned
Hey I like Code Geass, at least so far what I've seen on Adult Swim. Think it was just episode 13. It definitely wins an award for most random placement of a teenage girl masturbating to another girl's picture.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Tamanon said:
Hey I like Code Geass, at least so far what I've seen on Adult Swim. Think it was just episode 13. It definitely wins an award for most random placement of a teenage girl masturbating to another girl's picture.

That scene was so disturbing... I never figured out if she was really masturbating to her...

rykomatsu

Regulus Tera said:
Birdy and Slayers REVOLUTION are the only two shows that have grabbed my attention this season. Am I missing something noteworthy, GAF?

Natsume Yujincho is quite good...in particular for an older viewer. We meet and part ways with a lot of people throughout our lives...NY is a story about Japanese monsters, but the underlying theme, atleast in the first 2 eps is about solitude vs lonliness as well as everlasting farewells. Ep2 and Shimogami's ending was really quite touching...if you're into a more mellow series.

rykomatsu

zoku88 said:
I think the whole dragonball/DBZ age group is a bit wider than that...

I mean, its pretty broad... I don't see it much different than Naruto. (neither of which I like..)

EDIT: Can 4 year olds even read? Plus, you'd like to aim manga at ppl who can at least buy the magazines. So at least, the demographic would be something around the part where kids get an allowance.

i had manga as handme downs from my father at 4...a lot of kids also get hand-me-down manga from their older siblings...all shonen manga i've read have had furigana alongside kanji, so it's not difficult to read tbh. From what I can gather, a lot of people buying DB related merchandise (don't know if it falls into the majority though) in Japan appear to be the older generation out of nostalgia more than anything else...similar to folks in their 30's-40's buying Uchu Senkan Yamato merchandise that's being rereleased and what not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom