• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ANT-MAN | Production Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mariolee

So this will most likely be another Guardians of the Galaxy in tone, is what I'm expecting. At least with Edgar Wright we knew we would get a distinctive look and style of editing. Hopefully Peyton Reed puts his own unique spin on it. I keep hearing that he's very "collaborative" but I also hope he has a distinct vision for how he wants the movie to be. I don't want this to be by the numbers, I really don't.

mreddie

So this will most likely be another Guardians of the Galaxy in tone, is what I'm expecting. At least with Edgar Wright we knew we would get a distinctive look and style of editing. Hopefully Peyton Reed puts his own unique spin on it. I keep hearing that he's very "collaborative" but I also hope he has a distinct vision for how he wants the movie to be. I don't want this to be by the numbers, I really don't.

We'll see, it's highly likely we won't see a trailer til January or February.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=57162

Listing for the comic tie in to Ant-Man:

MARVEL’S ANT-MAN PRELUDE #1 (of 2)
WILL CORONA PILGRIM (w)
MIGUEL SEPULVEDA (A)
GET READY FOR MARVEL’S NEXT SMASH HIT FILM WITH THIS OFFICIAL PREQUEL!
• Before Scott Lang becomes Marvel’s shrinking sensation, Dr. Hank Pym will pull on the helmet and leap into action on a death-defying mission that will take him into the icy heart of Cold War East Berlin!
32 PGS./Rated T …$2.99

Now Michael Douglas said he won't suit up as Ant-Man, but maybe we'll see a young Hank Pym as Ant-Man in the film, and perhaps we may even see Janet van Dyne as Wasp??

Sweet, Pym action! I wonder if we'll get an original Ant-Man TV series down the line á la Agent Carter. Wouldn't that be great?

mreddie

http://www.buzzfeed.com/adambvary/evangeline-lilly-ant-man-the-hobbit-squickerwonkers

Lilly might have revealed what happened with Wright and Marvel.

Buzzfeed said:
Once she finally could read the new Ant-Man script, Lilly found her own writer’s affinity for world creation informing her appreciation for why Marvel and Wright had to part ways. "I saw with my own eyes that Marvel had just pulled the script into their world," she says. "I mean, they've established a universe, and everyone has come to expect a certain aesthetic [and] a certain feel for Marvel films. And what Edgar was creating was much more in the Edgar Wright camp of films. They were very different. And I feel like, if [Marvel] had created Edgar's incredible vision — which would have been, like, classic comic book — it would have been such a riot to film [and] it would have been so much fun to watch. [But] it wouldn't have fit in the Marvel Universe. It would have stuck out like a sore thumb, no matter how good it was. It just would have taken you away from this cohesive universe they're trying to create. And therefore it ruins the suspended disbelief that they've built."

After a successful meeting with Wright's replacement, Peyton Reed (Bring It On, Down With Love), Lilly says, "I signed on and I never looked back."

AMUSIX

I'd heard some similar ideas, though not from any sources I can list, so never bothered to post them. From what I gathered, Wright was going more comic-booky, if that makes sense? I think more Dick Tracy and less Dark Knight?
I could see it, considering how he handled Scott Pilgrim, which was fantastic, but definitely had that comic-book style.

JDMC13

That was kinda what I thought was the case. Edgar Wright wanted to make an Edgar Wright movie and Marvel wanted to make a Marvel movie. I just hope the new guy makes it a GOOD Marvel movie. I have hope though. If you'd have told me two years ago the guy who made Slither directed one of my favorite Marvel movies and one of the best space opera movies of the past decade or two, I would have said you were crazy.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
I'm not a fan of Wright at all, so I was happy with the change in directors. I'm even happier now that I've read her comments. Glad it seems to have worked out.

Seems to be in line with Feige said a while back.

seems to be in line with what some of us here were saying about Wright taking so long to get the movie made, that Marvel had to make changes for it to fit into the MCU as it is now. Wright could have made his movie the way he wanted too many years ago, but that window of opportunity narrowed as soon as Avengers came out, and then shut when the movie got delayed to after Avengers 2.

Which, while probably true to some extent, doesn't explain why it took eight years for Marvel (or both sides, if you're more charitably inclined towards them than I am here) to reach that conclusion.

Not that that mystery is likely to be solved anytime soon, sadly.

If you believe that Marvel had faith in Wrights vision from the start, and then allowed him to delay the first time due to scheduling or whatever (which made Whedon alter plans for The Avengers), and then delay the second time due to personal reason (friend with cancer helping finish Cornetto Trilogy before it's too late), then I think it's already explained why they came to that conclusion when they basically told Wright that there can be no more delays, and that the movie had to fit into the MCU as it is now, not a "stand alone" pic as it could have been 5-7 years ago.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/adambvary/evangeline-lilly-ant-man-the-hobbit-squickerwonkers

Lilly might have revealed what happened with Wright and Marvel.

Buzzfeed said:
And what Edgar was creating was much more in the Edgar Wright camp of films. They were very different. And I feel like, if [Marvel] had created Edgar's incredible vision — which would have been, like, classic comic book — it would have been such a riot to film [and] it would have been so much fun to watch. [But] it wouldn't have fit in the Marvel Universe.

Well that's incredibly disappointing. I mean, it makes sense from the perspective of Marvel Studios wanting to have a cohesive brand - but as someone who just wants to see good movies I feel that we lost the opportunity at seeing something something truly great. Between Scott Pilgrim and The World's End, Wright has developed into a really fun action director, and giving him a bigger canvas to play with would have been fantastic.

I do hope the movie turns out good, but I know I won't be able to watch it without thinking about what could have been.

Mariolee

I can totally imagine him going full Scott Pilgrim with this flick. It would have been glorious, but not a Marvel movie. This is all in all a darn shame.

If you believe that Marvel had faith in Wrights vision from the start, and then allowed him to delay the first time due to scheduling or whatever (which made Whedon alter plans for The Avengers), and then delay the second time due to personal reason (friend with cancer helping finish Cornetto Trilogy before it's too late), then I think it's already explained why they came to that conclusion when they basically told Wright that there can be no more delays, and that the movie had to fit into the MCU as it is now, not a "stand alone" pic as it could have been 5-7 years ago.

They could have reached that conclusion when the film first slipped out of Phase 1, or in 2011, or 2012, or 2013. But I can't see a good reason why it took until just before the production start date.

jmood88

They could have reached that conclusion when the film first slipped out of Phase 1, or in 2011, or 2012, or 2013. But I can't see a good reason why it took until just before the production start date.
What difference does it make? Everything that has come out has suggested the same story: he wanted to make a movie that didn't connect to the MCU. He could've been given more time than normal because Feige is a big fan of his and Ant-Man was one of the first movies announced when Marvel started doing their own thing, so it was sentimental. Either way, he's not doing the movie anymore.

Blader

Something Feige said earlier this year seemed to imply they were always giving Wright those notes, but that he wasn't taking them seriously and they weren't taking his aversion to the notes seriously until they realized they were actually at a dead end with each other.

mreddie

http://www.heyuguys.com/interview-judy-greer-men-women-and-children/

Judy Greer revealed that she will play Paul Rudd's estranged ex-wife.

Huh. I thought she would play Janet van Dyne in the 60s.

Dammit.

dammit-dammit-o.gif

Something Feige said earlier this year seemed to imply they were always giving Wright those notes, but that he wasn't taking them seriously and they weren't taking his aversion to the notes seriously until they realized they were actually at a dead end with each other.

That's possible. I suppose I'm still inclined to believe the rumors about Feige backing Wright and being overruled by someone even higher up the food chain (Alan Horn?).

Ironically, it's also possible that GotG may played a role in killing Wright's version of the film; THR, while still pinning the debacle on Feige, reported there were internal fears that Marvel might have already creatively overreached with that film. Fears which obviously proved unfounded, but this was more than two months before GotG opened.

Slayven

I don't get this weird revisionist history that has Scott Lang as a good and interesting character. Only good thing he done was have Cassie.

FeD.nL

That's possible. I suppose I'm still inclined to believe the rumors about Feige backing Wright and being overruled by someone even higher up the food chain (Alan Horn?).

Ironically, it's also possible that GotG may played a role in killing Wright's version of the film; THR, while still pinning the debacle on Feige, reported there were internal fears that Marvel might have already creatively overreached with that film. Fears which obviously proved unfounded, but this was more than two months before GotG opened.

Feige worked very hard getting this all together. Continuity is sacred within the MCU, you can't have directors doing their own thing, well maybe to a certain degree, because then the whole thing collapses. Feige knows this and like Blader said they were simply on a dead end with Wright.

J10

Banned
I don't even know who Firebird is, though I've probably read things with her in it. She must be obscure.

Slayven

I don't even know who Firebird is, though I've probably read things with her in it. She must be obscure.

Extremely, they had a storyline where she learned she was immortal but they dropped it. She was last seen in Scarlet Spider as a member of teh Rangers.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs

odiin

My Apartment, or the 120 Screenings of Salo

Wait... WHAT???

A long time ago, back when Michael Pena was first rumored for the movie, a report came out saying that, if he signed on, he would be playing a character named Castillo, a South American dictator that would function as the main villain for the Hank Pym 60s Ant-Man portion of the film. When we saw first saw those set pictures of Pena as just some modern dude I figured that was all bullshit, but it looks like they got the character right, but the actor wrong. Even better this confirms for me that there actually will be portions of the movie taking place with Hank as Ant-Man, which is something I was starting to worry about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom