• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any digital camera enthusiasts? I'm upgrading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saturnman

Banned
Had my Kodak CX4230 for almost two years now. The low-end little camera served me well, but its limitations are becoming annoying. Time for a change.

Based on my experience (my camera and my friend's), I like the simple controls and lightweight feel of my CX4230. I'd like to have something similar. Conversely, there's no way I'm settling with 3X optical zoom anymore, I want more, a lot more. My CX4230 was also useless in low light environment, no more of that. Battery life should not be overlook. Neither should the LCD display and, in absence of a bonafide camcorder of my own, an unlimited video mode. Oh yeah, perhaps unexpectedly, I use my digital camera as a portable scanner more and more, some good, close-up shots with lightening fast shutter speed are a must in that respect.

Though tempted by some Canon and Fuji models, I think I'm going to stick with Kodak and get me the DX6490 (wanted to get my hands on the brand new DX7440, but 4X zoom is the only problem). If you own that one or similar models from other brands, feel free to chime in. :)

aparisi2274

check out www.dpreview.com, they always have awesome write ups on all different cameras. Right now I have the Powershot S40 (disco'd :( ). Its a 4mp Canon, and I love it. Right now the best camera for point and shoot users is the Powershot S50. Its a 5mp camera that is supposedly pretty damn good.

Saturnman

Banned
But with a standard 3x optical zoom and, like other Canon models, limited video recording abilities, I believe.

aparisi2274

Saturnman said:
But with a standard 3x optical zoom and, like other Canon models, limited video recording abilities, I believe.

Yeah but if you want video recording abilities then get a videocamera, and use the digital still camera that comes with it.

I mean if you want a high end Canon, go with the Powershot G5.
g5_586x225.jpg

5.0 Megapixel CCD for Super Quality Images
4x Optical/4x Digital/16x Combined Zoom
12 EOS-based Shooting Modes
Canon's Exclusive DIGIC and iSAPS Technology
Enhanced Movie Mode and Photo Effect
Wide Area FlexiZone AF/AE
Intelligent Orientation Sensor
Direct Print Mode with Canon CP Printers and Bubble Jet Direct Printers

aparisi2274

Or go with the new Canon Powershot Pro 1.

pro1_586x225.jpg

The First PowerShot Pro with an 8 Megapixel CCD Sensor
Features a fast 28-200mm (35mm equivalent) f/2.4-3.5 L-series USM zoom lens
12 EOS-based shooting modes, Wide-Area FlexiZone AF/AE and more
Exclusive Canon DIGIC Image Processor and iSAPS Technology for superior image quality and faster processing speed
Enhanced Super Macro Mode
Large 2-inch Vari-angle LCD monitor with enhanced resolution
Superior VGA quality movies with sound
Direct Print Mode with Canon Direct Photo Printers and PictBridge-compatible Printers

retardboy

I recommend the Canon S1 IS if you're looking for zoom and video. Very nice camera.

I currently have a Olympus c-60 zoom. I love it, but it doesn't meet your zoom requirement. Has unlimited video though.

nitewulf

Saturnman said:
Had my Kodak CX4230 for almost two years now. The low-end little camera served me well, but its limitations are becoming annoying. Time for a change.

Based on my experience (my camera and my friend's), I like the simple controls and lightweight feel of my CX4230. I'd like to have something similar. Conversely, there's no way I'm settling with 3X optical zoom anymore, I want more, a lot more. My CX4230 was also useless in low light environment, no more of that. Battery life should not be overlook. Neither should the LCD display and, in absence of a bonafide camcorder of my own, an unlimited video mode. Oh yeah, perhaps unexpectedly, I use my digital camera as a portable scanner more and more, some good, close-up shots with lightening fast shutter speed are a must in that respect.

Though tempted by some Canon and Fuji models, I think I'm going to stick with Kodak and get me the DX6490 (wanted to get my hands on the brand new DX7440, but 4X zoom is the only problem). If you own that one or similar models from other brands, feel free to chime in. :)

you are screaming for the canon S1 IS...10x optical zoom w/ image stabilization and 640x480 video mode. only downside being, its 3.2 MP, which may be less of an upgrade than what you were thinking of.

Saturnman

Banned
A tad pricey, but how good is the image stabilization on the S1? Can it really compensate for the natural hand instability? My hands tend to move a bit and it has always been a problem with some photos.

retardboy

Hmph... I'm really not too sure about image stablization. I only used it for about an hour. If you want good image stablization, a Minolta might be right up your ally.

Look into the DiMAGE Z2. Unlimited video, good image stablization, good quality video(can do 30fps VGA movies), long zoom.

Err wait, maybe it wasn't the Z2. A1 and A2 have it I believe... Lemme check if the Z2 has the same image stablization.

Speaking of the Z2, it appears that the Minolta Z3 may be released very soon.

It seems like only yesterday that we got review samples of the 10x zoom DiMAGE Z2, but Konica Minolta has already announced its successor - you've guessed it, kids, the DiMAGE Z3. Anyone who's just bought the Z2 will be cheesed off, as the Z3 has an even beefier 12x optical zoom, as well as anti-shake technology and predictive focus control, for the same money.

http://www.photographyblog.com/weblog.php?id=P3030

retardboy

Haha... Well I guess the Z2 doesn't have the anti shake technology of the A1 and A2 if they're just putting it in the Z3... I think for your needs (since you're picky as hell) you should wait for the Z3 then. Minolta has great image stablization! It also has the rest of what you want... Seems like a perfect match for you.

Saturnman

Banned
I can wait for the right model.

And I'm not picky, I just know what I want. :p With an abondance of digital camera models out there, there's got to be one that fits the bill.

nitewulf

the image stabilzation on the canon is pretty good/effective, there was a video of it in one of the digi cam review sites but i cant seem to locate it now. i'd suggest checking out the camera in person and check the image stabilization out on your own.

If you're serious about this then don't blow your money on those above cameras. You'll like them at first but you'll grow out of them and be annoyed by their limitations, IE shutter lag, being stuck with one lens, no raw mode, etc quickly. I've learned the hard way. You really need to get a Digital SLR. You can pick up the Canon Digital Rebel at Amazon for $899 with the basic lens. Here's a site with links to tons of reviews and other stuff on this camera. Also there is hacked firmware which will basically add the features of the 10D which is $500 more.. This camera is awesome. Over 100+ lens you can use with it. http://www.ultimateslr.com/digital-rebel.html
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/EDR/EDRA1A.HTM
6.5-megapixel, 22.7 x 15.1mm, 12-bit RGB CMOS sensor delivering 3,072 x 2,048-pixel images. Effective count of 6.3-megapixels and 3:2 aspect ratio.
Single-lens reflex digital camera with interchangeable lenses (supports all Canon EOS series lenses). Focal length multiplier of 1.6x as compared to a 35mm camera.
Canon EF-S 18-55mm, f/3.5-5.6 lens included in camera kit, specifically designed for the EOS 300D Rebel.
Variable ISO (100, 200, 400, 800, and 1,600 settings).
TTL optical viewfinder with detailed information display, diopter adjustment, and depth-of-field preview.
1.8-inch, low-temperature TFT LCD with 118,000 pixels.
Automatic, Program AE, Shutter Priority, Aperture Priority, Depth-of-Field AE, and Manual exposure modes, plus Portrait, Landscape, Close-up, Sports, Night Portrait, and Flash Off programmed modes.
Operates in "shooting priority mode," meaning there's no separate "playback" mode to view pictures. Pictures can be viewed in between shots, and even if camera is showing a picture or in a menu, pressing the Shutter button causes the camera to take a photo immediately.
Continuous Shooting mode capturing as many as four images as fast as 2.5 frames per second (with shutter speeds of 1/250 second or faster.)
Variable white balance with Auto, six manual presets, and a Custom setting (reads from a neutral gray or white card).
TTL autofocus with seven focusing points, manually or automatically selectable. One shot AF, AI Servo AF , AI Focus AF, and manual focus with AF assist beam, depending on exposure mode selected. Working range of EV 0.5 to 18 at ISO 100.
Built-in E-TTL retractable-type flash with red-eye reduction. Guide Number is 13/43 at ISO 100, m/ft, flash angle covers the field of an 18mm lens. Topside hot shoe for external flash connection of EX Speedlite flashes.
Flash exposure lock function. (FEL)
External hot shoe supports E-TTL metering, FEL, and FP (high speed sync) flash with Canon 550EX speedlight.
Redeye Reduction via built-in illuminator.
TTL maximum-aperture metering with a 35-zone silicon photocell. 35-zone Evaluative metering linked to all focusing points, Center weighted average metering, or nine percent central-area spot metering. Metering range of EV 1 to 20 (at normal temperatures, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, ISO 100).
Adjustable exposure compensation from -2 to +2 EV in 1/3 EV increments in all exposure modes.
Auto exposure bracketing (AEB) from -2 to +2 EV in 1/3 EV increments in all autoexposure modes.
White balance bracketing. (JPEG file format only)
Shutter speeds from 1/4,000 to 30 seconds, and a Bulb setting for longer exposures.
Electronic self-timer with a fixed duration of 10 seconds.
Optional external hand grip/battery pack adds secondary shutter release and control wheel, as well as AE lock and focus point buttons for vertical-format shooting.
Image storage on CompactFlash Type I or II, compatible with IBM MicroDrives
USB connectivity with TWAIN driver for PC and Adobe Photoshop plugin for Macintosh. NTSC/PAL selectable video out connectivity. E3 remote control socket and IR remote control window.
24-bit JPEG and 36-bit RAW data file formats. Available resolution settings are: 3,072 x 2,048; 2,048 x 1,360; and 1,536 x 1,024.
Backlit LCD data readout, for easier operation in the dark.
DPOF (Digital Print Order Format) and DCF (Design Rule for Camera File System) compliant.
Direct Print capability to selected Canon photo printers.

package.jpg
ZFRONT.JPG

ZTOP.JPG
ZBACK.JPG
ZDR-BGE1_slant-sm.JPG

YIMG_1951.JPG

YIMG_1350.JPG

The EOS 300D comes with the following items in the box:

Neck strap.
Eye cup.
BP-511 battery pack and charger.
CR2025 lithium battery.
Video cable.
USB cable.
Two software CDs.
Instruction manuals and registration information.
If you purchase the Digital Rebel Kit, the camera also comes with the EF-S 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6 lens.

nitewulf

dude i dont think he is that serious about it. only pros and hobbyists should buy DSLRS, otherwise its a bit of a waste.

retardboy

The video on the S1 IS is DV quality... It's a very nice camera like I said. It should be one of the cameras at the top of your list.

Saturnman

Banned
Since I am already familiar with the Canon A70 (another 3 MP camera), if you take away the zoom, the high-res movie mode, the LCD screen and the IS, is it basically like the A70 otherwise? I guess I'm just trying to know is if Canon cameras have obvious lineage that can be easily recognized. THe menus do look familiar. :)

DarkAngelYuna,

Where can i get that hacked firmware? I have been on the edge between a canon eos 300d and 10d and also a nikon d70. Knowing that the hacked firmware exist that gives the 300d some of the functions misssing because of firmware and not hardware makes me consider the 300d again.

nitewulf

i havent used the A70, but i have the powershot G5 and checked out the S1 IS and digi rebel in person, and used a rebel film SLR for years. yes, they all have very similar dials and controls. the semi auto modes such as portrait, cloudy, nighshot etc are common to all four, all have the aperture priority, shutter priority etc...basically the canon mode dial has a legacy.
of course you have to keep in mind, that in those modes themselves, the cameras have differences. such as maximum shutter speed, minimum shutter speed, custom auto focus, options on white balance and light metering, and not to mention the effective mega pixel resolution etc.

dont forget to checkout the sony dsc v1 as well, which i have been pimping, you can take great point and shoot pictures with that camera.

nitewulf

luvaboi217 said:
DarkAngelYuna,

Where can i get that hacked firmware? I have been on the edge between a canon eos 300d and 10d and also a nikon d70. Knowing that the hacked firmware exist that gives the 300d some of the functions misssing because of firmware and not hardware makes me consider the 300d again.

keep in mind, you would be voiding the warranty. but i heard it works fabulously.

Don't worry about voiding the warrenty with it. People have sent their rebels in for repair problems they just ignore or sometimes reflash it to the official firmware. Here's the file, you just put it on the compact flash card, insert into camera turn it on and it askes if you should load it. http://demeter.x1.ru/soft/E3kr111_v2.FIR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom