• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone still play FFXI Online?

So I have my nice shiny Euro version here right now (PC, still no PS2 version or HDD confirmed for Europe), and I'm about to install (which I hear is a bit of a chore in itself) and wondering which GAFers still play?

Also I'm reading the whole World Pass thing and I'm wondering if anybodies feeling nice enough to purchase one (does it work for multiple characters, the manual seems to indicate so).

Anyone else in Europe going to be playing as well?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
it's not so much that the world pass works for multiple characters as when you make a new chracter it goes to the same server you're already on. Or so is my understanding of the process....

Anyways, most the GAF people are on fairy server, you can wait for a world pass from them, or just create a character over and over again till you get on the server.

DrForester said:
it's not so much that the world pass works for multiple characters as when you make a new chracter it goes to the same server you're already on. Or so is my understanding of the process....

Anyways, most the GAF people are on fairy server, you can wait for a world pass from them, or just create a character over and over again till you get on the server.

Just quoting the manual.

"World Passes have expiration dates and can only be used to invite a limited number of individuals."

Now a limited number could mean 1, but it'd kinda an odd way of putting it.

And can I cancel a character if I don't get the Fairy server can I cancel that character immediately (ie. just reset the character creation) and it'll be like it never existed, or is it a case of I'll have mulitple characters that I then have to cancel, by deactivating them and letting 3 months pass?

you can delete your character in like 15 seconds and make a new one

it goes like this

You have playonline acct > you have 1 game token > you have a ffxi character

if say u wanna play tetra master while also playing ffxi u need to purchase another game toeken (its like another 1.99 on your montyhly acct)

but the ffxi can be rerolled/deleted to infinity

davis

I played with people from the Uk a couple months ago, maybe they were in a beta. Also play with someone from New Zealand for months guess they got it sooner. Anyway I hear you guys get everything so sometimes you get a bit lucky allthough late,like MGS2.
I preordered COP for $30.

Scott

Yeah, I still play, and quite a few others do on GA. Most of us are on the server "Fairy," and if you want on there (without the hassle of *hoping* to get on there by rerolling the character), I'll be able to snag you a World Pass.

Also, as for how World Passes work: they expire in about a week's time, and each one has 5 uses. Cost for one varies by server population, and right now I believe Fairy's are around 1700 Gil, quite pricy for a newbie. :p So if you have any friends who want on, or more GA'ers do, they can use the remaining slots on the WP when you're done with it.

It'll probably take me a little while to be able to snag you one (I have updates to download, and a little travelling to do), but it shouldn't be more than 20-30 minutes. Sound ok?

Tabris

Most of GAF is on Fairy, 2 are on Asura, 1 is on Titan, 1 is on Bahamut I think and that's about it from what I can remember.

Scott

PM'd you the World Pass, Die Squirrel Die.

Thanks to SpiderJerusalem, I didn't have to travel halfway across the world for one. :p It's his pass, though, so try to only use one slot if you don't mind.

Also, if you need any help in the game, my nick is "Kytrinn." Feel free to hit me up for info.

Cherubae

I just started playing again about two weeks ago. Finally got my chocobo license, but ouch, the price of a chocobo runs about 700 gil :( That's an expensive ride.

The server's seem to be having problems lately. I get timed out from Fairy frequently, and Jeuno went down on Saturday night.

Scott

Cherubae said:
I just started playing again about two weeks ago. Finally got my chocobo license, but ouch, the price of a chocobo runs about 700 gil :( That's an expensive ride.
Well, price varies by the amount of Chocobos out from those stables, I believe. From my experience, the three home nations are always cheap (typically less than 200 Gil), where-as Jeuno and some of the Crags can run you well over 1000 Gil during peak times. That's when I just say "Screw it, I'll walk." ;)

Shouta

There was a 2500 gil Chocobo fee late last night at Holla. WOOOOOF.

Yeah, most people GAF are on Fairy. The majority of us that are left are from NA PC launch and a few others are from PS2 Launch. Average Level of the Linkshell is starting to in the high 50s off the top of my head.

Scott said:
PM'd you the World Pass, Die Squirrel Die.

Thanks to SpiderJerusalem, I didn't have to travel halfway across the world for one. :p It's his pass, though, so try to only use one slot if you don't mind.

Also, if you need any help in the game, my nick is "Kytrinn." Feel free to hit me up for info.

Thanks. I've tried my luck 3 times, and I got Ragnarok, Ramuh and Cait Sith so I think I'll definitely need the WP.

I was going to go a Mithra but I've decided on an Elvaan Monk to start with. Good choice? I know the job can be changed easily enough, I've just always had a thing for FF Monks.

No friends wanting to use it so, I'll post when I'm registered on Fairy if you want to pass it on to other GAFers.

Tabris

Monks are definitely not a good job starting out the game with

The seek times until level 60-65 are horrible. Probabaly worst in the game next to Dragoon I'm thinking.

Start with Warrior. Easy to solo to 12 and versatile for a sub-job. Get that to 18, then decide what you want to be. Unless you want to be a mage, then start with White Mage.

Tabris said:
Monks are definitely not a good job starting out the game with

The seek times until level 60-65 are horrible. Probabaly worst in the game next to Dragoon I'm thinking.

Start with Warrior. Easy to solo to 12 and versatile for a sub-job. Get that to 18, then decide what you want to be. Unless you want to be a mage, then start with White Mage.

I'm a level 64 dragoon on Bismarck and lemme just put it this way, I've been seeking for about 2 full weeks now. If you want to avoid seeking, I suggest you go red mage or bard.

Tabris

Red Mage's still have to deal with level 12-32 where they won't be picked over a White Mage or Bard. So they do have the time where they're seeking a bit longer.

I would suggest pick whether you want to be melee or mage. Then start with either Warrior or White Mage. Do 1-18, then decide which you want to be.

I mean it's not set in stone, you can play whatever you want, but it's good to pick one avenue that way you're not wasting time.

Shouta

Yeah, start either with White Mage or Warrior because they'll be the two most versatile subjobs you'll have in the game on the melee and mage side.

MNKs are good to get into after you have some experience under your belt and have had some status symbols to attach to your name (for example, Rank 5 even if it means squat nowadays ;p). Wait times can be horrible (which it shouldn't be, MNKs do some of the best damage in the game over the course of a battle) though, Kintaro can attest to that =P. However, if you preform well and build a good reputation for yourself that can be alleviated.

Well that's me in. Name is Diesquirredie (yes I did typo the 'l'), although I'm thinking that taking it as 'squire' sort of fits the style of the game. I'll think I'll switch over to a Warrior first then. Thanks for the advice.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Can someone please give me a Fairy WP? I deleted my character on Valefor and some fucking asshole gave me a Fairy worldpass, but it was expired so now I have no character.

i got to like lvl 15 or so and stopped. Got too repetitive for me, and i actually didn't like the fact that it was almost a neccesity to party up later in the game. Good fun while it lasted though.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Ninja Scooter said:
i got to like lvl 15 or so and stopped. Got too repetitive for me, and i actually didn't like the fact that it was almost a neccesity to party up later in the game. Good fun while it lasted though.

I used to despise the game because of that, but then I played EQ2 and FFXI is fun in comparison.

Shouta

Partying with people is actually fun later on but it has to be with good people. I don't like the monotony that can come by playing by yourself most of the time so having a truly party-focused game (like all FFs are) is a nice breath of fresh air for MMOs. Some more solo ability would be nice (there already is some soloing capabilities for most classes but its limited and you won't gain XP fast like in parties unless you're a BST) though.

Tortfeasor

I really enjoyed playing it. I felt it was deep and rewarding. I stopped playing it about 9 months ago when I felt it was taking up way too much of my time.

firex

Shouta said:
Partying with people is actually fun later on but it has to be with good people. I don't like the monotony that can come by playing by yourself most of the time so having a truly party-focused game (like all FFs are) is a nice breath of fresh air for MMOs. Some more solo ability would be nice (there already is some soloing capabilities for most classes but its limited and you won't gain XP fast like in parties unless you're a BST) though.
If you mean "I'm level 5, I can't walk outside of town without needing a group," then yes, that's the partying aspect of FFXI. The finished version of the game is terrible in comparison to WOW's beta. Then there's the counter-intuitive controls, lack of an endgame, overly harsh death penalty, and the general feeling of the game as work instead of something to play.

Shouta

If you mean "I'm level 5, I can't walk outside of town without needing a group," then yes, that's the partying aspect of FFXI. The finished version of the game is terrible in comparison to WOW's beta. Then there's the counter-intuitive controls, lack of an endgame, overly harsh death penalty, and the general feeling of the game as work instead of something to play.

I really should crack down on this uninformed MMO trolling =P.

B'z-chan

Banned
+1 Sylph server..... Lots of fun here but chocobos that cost that much drive you insane. Make sure you find a way to make money quick.

Oh and Go Fresno State home town team sorry

Tabris

Diesquirredie

That name will be a problem for you later on. There's a lot of anal players that just won't respect someone simply because of a name. Because in most cases, people with names like that tend not to put in as much effort as people with "fantasy names". So you have to spend even more effort to prove yourself.

Also, on a slightly related subject. You're probabaly thinking - "Well who cares what other people think?", but the truth of the matter, this game is VERY social. There's not much at all you can do alone. People's impression of you and your reputation follow you around a lot in this game.

People remember people in this game, especially japanese who talk a lot about other players on forums. You can get black-marked, then find it hard to be invited to many end-game activities.

Tabris

firex said:

Level 5? You can solo until level 10 without a problem, level 12 with a little bit of trouble, and level 15 with a subjob and food.

lack of an endgame? What are Zilart Missions, HNM hunting and Dynamis for then?

counter-intuitive controls? I think this is the first MMORPG to do controls in a relaxing way due to the ability to use a controller. The game was made for a DS2. It's so much easier when you use a DS2 (buy a DS2 > PC usb adapter at radio shack)

Shouta

If anyone has a right to complain its Jonny =O

And yes, if there's anything wrong with FFXI it's the community as opposed to the game -_-.

Don't forget the new Promathia Missions and BCNM fights =O.

And you can pull a Rorschach and go to level 30 solo =P.

BlackMage

Banned
Tabris said:
Level 5? You can solo until level 10 without a problem, level 12 with a little bit of trouble, and level 15 with a subjob and food.

lack of an endgame? What are Zilart Missions, HNM hunting and Dynamis for then?

counter-intuitive controls? I think this is the first MMORPG to do controls in a relaxing way due to the ability to use a controller. The game was made for a DS2. It's so much easier when you use a DS2 (buy a DS2 > PC usb adapter at radio shack)

ahh HNM and Dynamis. Way more trouble than they are worth.
HNM: be prepared to have some serious competition. Not only that, be prepared for people trying to steal your mob.
Dynamis: Depending on your job, you will most likely not be needed. You'll have to find a dynamis LS and deal with the politics of high level fuck-heads who think they are better than you.

Yes, I am bitter.

Tabris

Why does he have the right to complain? (I don't know your situation, so just asking)

Yes, I would say 75% of the NA community in FFXI is absolutely retarded.

As far as HNM and Dynamis. Completly depends on how organized the linkshell is.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I miss this game. I had gotten my character to level 24 before I quit. I was playing as a WAR and the last time I ever played I sat there for over an hour and a half waiting for a party. I found the seeks times were just horrible. It didn't help that the GAFers I knew the best (Spiderlily, Ploid and Scott) were a lot farther in the game than I was and I was forced to party with a lot of morons. Well that last night turned me off. I did get the feeling that I was working at my character much more than playing a game. Sucks too cause I was really liking it until level 20 or so.
A word of advice DiesquirrelDie: be aware of the idiots that seem to play this game on the weekends. I called them the "Weekenders" the kids that would all jump on Friday nights and just make finding a good party almost impossible. Try and get in touch with the GAFers and get a linkpearl so you have some good people to lean on when you need help. Awesome group of guys too.

Have fun man!

Belfast

Shouta said:
I really should crack down on this uninformed MMO trolling =P.

Good luck trying to argue with firex.

I might as well give it a quickie, myself, though.

Counter-intuitive controls......zuh? All MMORPGs have a lot to worry about, but I can control all of my actions with one hand, using my left only to talk and activate macros. The arrow keys/numpad is the hub for just about everything else you're going to do. If you use a DualShock or similarly-styled PC controller, its easy, too, but its all up to preference.

Lack of endgame - as Tabris said: HNM, Dynamis (they just added like 4 new Dynamis areas, too), Zilart Missions, and now CoP Missions. Plus, you can always go back and start levelling a new job if you hit the 75 cap. Also, I nearly forgot to mention merit points, which is currently how you improve your character post-75. CoP just expanded the Merit system so you can put points into all kinds of new stuff and further customize your character. Sure Dynamis and HNM have their problems, but every MMORPG suffers from high-end politics based around dorks with nothing better to do.

Harsh Death Penalty - hardly. 10% XP and a quick trip back to your home point at worst. No shitty corpse retrieval and you don't lose items, people can't loot your body, etc. And you don't have to pay gold to resurrect, either. The Raise spell tier + the Experience Moghancement (gained from placing beds in your Mog House with the dominant element) can take the edge off of any death, too.

Work instead of play? Just about any game of this nature is going to feel like that in some respect, but even if you solo, that's just as much work, its just that you have to do it all by yourself in that case. :p Which is LESS fun, IMO.

Shouta

Jonny has been playing since JP launch (IIRC) and is the only person outside of me and Alex that have more experience with the game in years on this forum (Alex and I have been playing since NA Beta which was around june/july of last year as I recall).

Oh yeah, XP penalty is hardly ever harsh assuming you have the right tier of Raise spell with your level. Raise II at my level reduces the XP loss by a lot and really is a quick 5-10 minute chain to regain the XP that you lose =P.

A lot of high-levels are total fuckwads, it's rarer to find one that isn't Jonny. You should know that! ;)

BlackMage

Banned
Belfast said:
Good luck trying to argue with firex.

I might as well give it a quickie, myself, though.

Counter-intuitive controls......zuh? All MMORPGs have a lot to worry about, but I can control all of my actions with one hand, using my left only to talk and activate macros. The arrow keys/numpad is the hub for just about everything else you're going to do. If you use a DualShock or similarly-styled PC controller, its easy, too, but its all up to preference.

I agree, the controls are not a problem with this game.

Belfast said:
Lack of endgame - as Tabris said: HNM, Dynamis (they just added like 4 new Dynamis areas, too), Zilart Missions, and now CoP Missions. Plus, you can always go back and start levelling a new job if you hit the 75 cap. Also, I nearly forgot to mention merit points, which is currently how you improve your character post-75. CoP just expanded the Merit system so you can put points into all kinds of new stuff and further customize your character. Sure Dynamis and HNM have their problems, but every MMORPG suffers from high-end politics based around dorks with nothing better to do.

After leveling your first char, then your subjob, THEN your advanced job (optional), i was pretty burnt out at starting over again. 1-10 solo -> valkurm -> qufim -> kazham = hell
even garliage/crawlers nest has become newbville nowadays.

Belfast said:
Harsh Death Penalty - hardly. 10% XP and a quick trip back to your home point at worst. No shitty corpse retrieval and you don't lose items, people can't loot your body, etc. And you don't have to pay gold to resurrect, either. The Raise spell tier + the Experience Moghancement (gained from placing beds in your Mog House with the dominant element) can take the edge off of any death, too.

The problem is deleveling - it is the worst idea ever, imo. Take for instance when i first went to Jueno at level 20 as a warrior. I found a group for qufim and it turned out bad and i died twice then deleveled. So here I am, stuck in Jueno at level 19. Now I have to go all the way back to valkurm to get to 20 again since no one in qufim wants to level with a 19 warrior.

Belfast said:
Work instead of play? Just about any game of this nature is going to feel like that in some respect, but even if you solo, that's just as much work, its just that you have to do it all by yourself in that case. :p Which is LESS fun, IMO.

No way man, it's all about solo!

BlackMage

Banned
Shouta said:
Jonny has been playing since JP launch (IIRC) and is the only person outside of me and Alex that have more experience with the game in years on this forum (Alex and I have been playing since NA Beta which was around june/july of last year as I recall).

Oh yeah, XP penalty is hardly ever harsh assuming you have the right tier of Raise spell with your level. Raise II at my level reduces the XP loss by a lot and really is a quick 5-10 minute chain to regain the XP that you lose =P.

A lot of high-levels are total fuckwads, it's rarer to find one that isn't Jonny. You should know that! ;)

I believe you have me confused with someone else. I am from the Midgardsormr server and have only been playing since NA PC Launch.

It's weird though because at first i thought i knew you lol! I was trying to figure out who you were in the game.

Belfast

Delevelling does suck, but maybe I'm just spoiled cause I'm a THF. :)

Still, I always try to get buffer XP before leaving unless the party is about to break and I always try to make sure I have an easy way out. (i.e. Flee to a safe spot then use a scroll of instant warp). Still, other games have had similar penalties. I'm not too sure about other CURRENT games in the genre, but I know the precedent has been set in older MMORPGs. Its not a problem unique to FFXI.

Also, if you go through the process of levelling from the beginning again, it may be worthwhile to see if you get parties to go to areas where other people won't. For instance, make the attempt to set up a Bubu party instead of one in Dunes. It may take awhile, but you can either spend that time in a several shitty Valk parties ot you can spend that time waiting on a decent party to go level in a non-crowded area. If you've gotten to this point in the game, you should be used to waiting anyway,

I got up to about 16 or 17 before stopping, like NinjaScooter. I also didn't like pretty much HAVING to join a party after a certain point. Some parties I was in were really memorable and great, and others were so-so. And after a while, the game was demanding way more time than I could put into it. I might have played more, if I didn't have a full time job and a wife... ;)

Top Bottom