• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone still play FFXI Online?

Tabris

1-10 solo -> valkurm -> qufim -> kazham = hell

SO many different options that no one explores. Obvious choices like Maze of Sharikimi, Buburimu Peninsula and Korroloka Tunnel for optional choices for those beginning areas.

Qufim is kind of hard to avoid, maybe Sanctuary of Zi'tah.

Then you get to Kazham, grab a chocobo and head to the outpost in Yuhtunga. Fight Furriers until 28-29. Then head right to the Sea Serpent Grotto zone part of Yuhtunga and fight those pugils until 32. Then head to Eastern Altepa Desert.

Shouta

Dammit, too many Jonnys on this forum. I thought Jonny -> Jonnyram. >_________<

Charlie's girlfriend played for a long time I think but I don't know now.

BlackMage

Banned
Tabris said:
SO many different options that no one explores. Obvious choices like Maze of Sharikimi, Buburimu Peninsula and Korroloka Tunnel for optional choices for those beginning areas.

Qufim is kind of hard to avoid, maybe Sanctuary of Zi'tah.

Then you get to Kazham, grab a chocobo and head to the outpost in Yuhtunga. Fight Furriers until 28-29. Then head right to the Sea Serpent Grotto zone part of Yuhtunga and fight those pugils until 32. Then head to Eastern Altepa Desert.

The problem is that now that these areas are where EVERYONE goes, nobody wants to stray from that path. So basically if I want to go somehwere else it is very hard to get others to come with me.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I'm not too sure about other CURRENT games in the genre, but I know the precedent has been set in older MMORPGs. Its not a problem unique to FFXI.

EQ did it and after EQ everyone decided it was a retarded idea and stopped doing it (except for EQ). Any MMO that uses now it is seen as a massive step backwards. FFXI should just remove it with a patch. Don't de-level, but give negative exp you need to work out of or something like that.

firex

Shouta said:
I really should crack down on this uninformed MMO trolling =P.
I don't think it's trolling to call out FFXI for all the problems it has. It's great if you have loads free time and only enjoy grouping (just like in EverQuest), because that's about the only way to get ahead in the game with most jobs. The death penalty is a major bitch - dying, leveling down, and likely dying again on the way to getting your corpse back is just frustration and bad design.

I couldn't stand the game for that, and the atrocious combat controls that favor using a PS2 controller to a keyboard. But I guess if people enjoy having to group to go through 90% of the game's content, and spending years to play just one character for the sole purpose of maxing out every job then it's right up their alley.

edit: you don't have to retrieve corpses anymore? I swear I had to do that in the beta, which made it annoying for me because I got tons of lag deaths...

but anyway, I guess I'm just spoiled because I'm playing WOW's beta, which beats FFXI at every aspect of the game.

Shouta

I don't think it's trolling to call out FFXI for all the problems it has.

Except you do it everytime a FFXI thread pops up and you attack the game with a venemous attitude rather than state a standard opinion that isn't aggressive in nature to stat why the game is bad. You're inciting flames instead of calling out flaws. That's trolling =P.

Belfast

ManaByte said:
EQ did it and after EQ everyone decided it was a retarded idea and stopped doing it (except for EQ). Any MMO that uses now it is seen as a massive step backwards. FFXI should just remove it with a patch. Don't de-level, but give negative exp you need to work out of or something like that.

I agree, but I think some still use the archaic corpse retrieval and whatnot. At least when you die in FFXI, you don't have to go through the rigors of getting back to your body.

Belfast

firex said:
I don't think it's trolling to call out FFXI for all the problems it has. It's great if you have loads free time and only enjoy grouping (just like in EverQuest), because that's about the only way to get ahead in the game with most jobs. The death penalty is a major bitch - dying, leveling down, and likely dying again on the way to getting your corpse back is just frustration and bad design.

I couldn't stand the game for that, and the atrocious combat controls that favor using a PS2 controller to a keyboard. But I guess if people enjoy having to group to go through 90% of the game's content, and spending years to play just one character for the sole purpose of maxing out every job then it's right up their alley.

edit: you don't have to retrieve corpses anymore? I swear I had to do that in the beta, which made it annoying for me because I got tons of lag deaths...

but anyway, I guess I'm just spoiled because I'm playing WOW's beta, which beats FFXI at every aspect of the game.

GET YOUR CORPSE BACK?! I'm not convinced you never even played the game. :p

Tabris

The problem is that now that these areas are where EVERYONE goes, nobody wants to stray from that path. So basically if I want to go somehwere else it is very hard to get others to come with me.

That's what linkshells/statics/friendlists are for.

Also, on the note about firex's trolling. The problem is it's uninformed. 1 of those insults is completly void. End game. You have to actually get to end game to know wtf you're talking about.

There's never been corpse retrieval in FFXI - not now, not in the US beta of summer '03, not at the Japanese release in May 2002, not in the Japanese beta of December '01-April '02.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
--- This is not a troll ---

I'm happy for everyone enjoying FFXI... but I wanted to stop by and quickly advertise World of Warcraft. If anyone is disappointed in FFXi and feels that they are "done with the MMO genre" (i've seen lots of people express this)... don't give up! My short time playing World of Warcraft has made me fall in love with the genre all over again, and it was freaking incredible.

For people still addicted to and enjoying FFXI, please feel free to ignore this. Again, I have kind of a history for derailing FFXI threads.. and that is not my intent. Just want to quickly get this notice out! :D Thanks for your time! ;) *runs*

Tabris

My short time playing World of Warcraft has made me fall in love with the genre all over again, and it was freaking incredible.

Come back when you've put in more than 100 hours, than tell me if you still love it.

Almost everyone professes love for these games in the beginning. If you lost your patience in FFXI, you'll eventually lose your patience in WoW.

MrCheez

I'm not looking to make a winning argument, just dropping by with an opinion. This opinion is based on the fact that I've fallen more head over heels in love with a game than I usually do, and that it has just about everything I've been looking for in a MMO. I can't offer you more than that.

Tabris

Come on now. People are exclaiming this as the best mmorpg they've ever played. Except how long have you (or they) actually played it? You're in the beginning phase to an mmorpg. Everything is new and exciting, your opinion isn't worth a dime until you're past that phase and into the "grind". (depends on person's perspective on the genre)

Because everything you flame FFXI about becomes evident during the "grind", not the beginning phase.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Tabris said:
Come back when you've put in more than 100 hours, than tell me if you still love it.

Almost everyone professes love for these games in the beginning. If you lost your patience in FFXI, you'll eventually lose your patience in WoW.

Okay, I've put 8 months into WoW so far and still love it. I still play FFXI as they are very different styles of games, but FFXI is still more frustrating with the need for grouping and the level loss on death.

MrCheez

True, is it possible I'll stop liking the game? Of course. But the fact that I disliked FFXI doesn't mean I'm always going to start hating a game after putting 100 hours into it. I played EverQuest for 2 years.

It is possible I will stop liking the game, but I can tell you that knowing myself and knowing my tastes, I can see myself enjoying it for a long time.

Besides, you say I need to spend 100 hours with the game first... I played about 60 hours in the Stress Test, and even started multiple characters over and had them do the same zones and quests - and it was still a blast. :p Isn't that close enough?

But again, it was fun for me and I'm not saying it's going to be the same for everyone else. I'm just saying "Hey, you guys should try this game if you have the opportunity!"

teiresias

I wanna be a BST :(

What level can you do the BST quest at?? I've forgotten, I'm a level 21 WHM, how much longer do I have to go?

SaitoH

Tabris said:

I hated FFXI when I first started playing, but I stuck with it for a couple weeks and gradually learned to love it. I ended up quitting after 6 months because I was frustrated, although I still kinda miss the game and the friends I made.

Well finished my first session. Is it true about the whole name thing? Guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

And thanks once again to scott for the GAF linkpearl.

Belfast

Well, you might be OK if you can build a decent reputation. In other words, just do your job and don't be a jerk in parties.

Tamanon

Banned
Hell, I've actually found level 15-18 the easiest to solo past 8 for my monk. Found an area of Konschacht(or whatever it's called) with a good amount of DC to Even goblins and EP rock eaters and have been having an easy enough time of it, also keeps my monk's hand to hand and evasion skills maxed:) Although I just dinged 18, I might be moving into Valkurm or just bypassing it totally and hanging out here until 20(still DCs and EPs) then seeing where I can go. Haven't partied yet, not really seeking it until I at least get a subjob, I want to at least be a little competitive hehe.

Oh yeah, Midgardsormr here.

Belfast

I'd say its better off passing up Valkurm, but it sounds like you haven't gotten your subjob items yet. If you have, then by all means, do so. But if not, you're REALLY going to want those.

Alex

If you need anything, Tama. Just drop me a PM, I'm also on Midgard. I am (and have been) taking a break for a few months, and want (need) another few off, but it's no trouble to pop on and lend a hand.

hethspd

Character Name: Fahlla
Race/Gender: Elvaan/Female
Server: Fairy
Main Job: Lv70 WHM
Nation: Sand'Oria Rank 10

This was my status since I left the game about 4 to 5 months ago. I wasn't planning on being away for this long; it was just supposed to be a short break. Now I'm having trouble getting myself into the game because it is true that this game is a timesink. The more you get into it, the more your life outside the game goes down the drain.

That being said, I'm also having a hard time to resist the temptations of Promathia. I also want to finish up the Zilart Mission (Crystal Warriors) and do some stuff in Ru'an Gardens.

So.....uhm, does anyone want to buy my account before I get into this timesink again? I've actually been paying the $13/month the past 5 months even though I haven't logged onto the game a single time during this time period....*sigh*

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Heth, I've pretty much done the same thing. I've been on maybe 4 or 5 times, not equaling 15 hours, since Late May, Early June. Still paying for it though...

Wait, Cricket's back? Didn't you leave Shen?

RuGalz

I took a break if I were truely leaving I'd have killed the char or sold it. However I can't invest as much time into the game as I used to. At least I can some what control myself now. :) But then again there's not a whole lot I can do until I can beat Maat...

Mjunter

Nice to see a good old FFXI thread pop up every once in a while. The same old arguments coming out also. Every once in a while I feel like getting back on and starting over and the COP stuff is quite tempting, but getting back to where I was would be more than enough work for me to invest in.

How is everyone who is still on doing in Fairy?

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
well, I think I "relatively" left 3-4 weeks after you did, and they still have your LS Message up.

I think Ploid is the uber Thief, tons of money. Or is that Darsh/Kin??

Shouta

Cricket's back on a regular basis. Shen's been playing here and there. Hoga's quit because of school although his account is still alive (even if its deactivated). Most of us major that are still around from NA launch are mid-60s now. I'm halfway to 66, Darsh/Kintaro is 66 (MNK, not WAR), Klades is 66, Night is 66, Jae is 65, Darkshire is 64/65, Semin and Cricket are 62/64 as I recall, Xaerus is 62/63 and we have a few more people coming up and coming into the LS. We all would've been higher but we're slow and lazy about powerleveling! ;)

Chains of Promathia looks sexy =O.

Zaptruder

Banned
You guys are so exceedingly slow.

No really... that's so slow :(

And as for me... the sole player on titan, I was shafted by GAF, banned right before I got my copy for some "eat your dog to preserve him in memory" comment. Now we have dog eating threads in the OT :(((

From what I've heard of things, unless you want the extra bonus of having these forums to be able to directly relate to events ingame and the need for somewhat familiar people, you might be better off starting on a server like Midgardsomr or Ragnarok, which are both very much more NA friendly servers then anywhere else. NAs on those servers dominate... and are actually infact alot more friendly then other NAs on other servers (owing to the fact they're not second rate and have to be bitter snipey and melodramatic).

Shouta

Midgardsormr has problems of its own =P. Ask Alex he's been on Midgard since shortly after PC launch.

And we're not slow, we're just not in a rush. Most of us could've easily gotten to 75 way before most NAs even contemplated of it but most of us decided to not pursue that avenue. I know that I would've easily hit the 75 cap last Janurary of Feburary if I had straight shotted it all the way with my WHM from launch. Cricketmaster, one of our BLMs just came back after like 4-5 months away from the game He was 62/63 when he left =P. Heck, hethspd was like 65/66 back in April of last year himself before the TP fix. I've probably stopped leveling my PLD for long stretches at a time since I've started it, probably a good 3-4 months inbetween leveling binges =P.

Rorschach

I don't play it. FFXI should have been called "Final Fantasy Online" because it's not a real Final Fantasy! Square sux hardkore. I'm boycotting this game and I suggest you do the same!

Sho Nuff

Banned
Rorschach said:
I don't play it. FFXI should have been called "Final Fantasy Online" because it's not a real Final Fantasy! Square sux hardkore. I'm boycotting this game and I suggest you do the same!

square, from my mother's basement I strike at thee

hethspd

RuGalz said:
Even Cricket is back. So shall you. :D

This I did not know.
That reminds me...are there any other tarus in the LS that plays regularly? I'm under the assumption that there aren't any Galkas :p

Zaptruder said:
You guys are so exceedingly slow.
No really... that's so slow :(

Well, everyone has their own pace. Some can afford to spend more time with the game than others, and I personally think the game shouldn't be about competing to level or make money faster than others (minus NM/HNM hunts where it's all about competition).

I saw that everyone who puts significant time into this game do so for a combination of different reasons. There are players who are obsessed with levelling, there are those who are always out to make money, there are those who put together groups to monopolize certain items on the market, there are those who are just interested in socializing with online friends, etc, etc.... In my personal opinion, the whole point of playing this game is to beat quests and missions to uncover the story of Vanad'iel just like any other RPG. Contrary to popular belief, making money and raising levels is just a path you should take to accomplish these missions/quests.

I personally thought I was bit too fast on levelling. At a certain point, I made a concrete decision to slow down and to concentrate on quests and missions. The result was that I was 1 of the first 5 NA players on the Fairy server to achieve Rank 10....at least, I'm pretty sure of that.

Belfast

The only issues I have with going slow is that eventually the people you got used to levelling with will surpass you and then you have to go about dealing with a whole new set of people who may or may not be worse players than the ones you were with before. This is one of the reasons why I took several big breaks, myself.

RuGalz

Besides Cricket, we have Semin and Jae's sister Mikachan as Tarus. Khiqshi is a Taru but I guess he's busy with WoW now.

Gragonspee is a Galka. But the only one in the LS.

Yeah it was ok to use that WP, I only needed 2 of the uses, and I could just get another if I needed to. All that monk cant find party noise...getting parties for Thf makes baby mithras cry! :p

Rorschach said:

Come baaack! You never said bye :(
whore!

Alot of the reasons I'm quitting were mentioned already.

About this game feeling like work... It depends. I have a very warped view being a Bard and I can view the entire game as monotonous work because Bards ALWAYS follow a preset chain of actions which almost NEVER vary. (Etude myself -> Madrigal -> (Prelude?) -> Elegy -> Requiem -> Minuet -> Ballad II -> Ballad -> Threnody & Melee if the mob's not dead by then). Other jobs though are alot more fun.

And the game IS monotonous and work when you get to the higher levels of just about any other job. Having to spend a week or two straight farming to get a ludicrously overpriced item that's viewed as REQUIRED is NOT fun and HORRIBLE game design. Every method Enix put in of making gil in this game is absolutely long, godawful, and implemented horribly. As a Bard I didn't have to put up with that much (we only have two expensive spells and it's in the range of 80k each, which is the low end of something considered "expensive"), but it's still a major factor for my quitting.

I felt the compulsive need to switch to WoW after I played the stress test, just because it's done much better. In FFXI, you're required to put in at minumum 4-6 hours straight to make any progress. WoW you can log in, play for 30 minutes, SOLO, and make SOME sort of progress (be it experience-wise or money-wise). Enix not putting any solo activities in this game was a BIG mistake.

Still, if you have the time to put into it, it's a fun game, and I'll miss it. Every time an FFXI song pops up in iTunes, I have the incredible urge to jump back in and play it again, but these few (but major) oversights stop me.

Edit: Just so you don't misinterpret this post, I have an equal number, if not more, good things to say in this game. Anyone who knows me enough from the Linkshell though knows it's not in my nature to praise and I bitch a *lot* :).

RuGalz

What it comes down to really is that WoW has tons and tons more quests that can be done by yourself to earn small amount of xp and money which FFXI lacks of. Certainly, it gives you a sense of progression but even that gets monotonous quickly since the story behind WoW is pretty uninteresting to me.

Constantly xping in FFXI is definately tedious but I think that plagues any RPG be it online or offline - as soon as you get to certain point where the pace of gaining next level or earning new thing slows down it starts to become more and more tedious. That said, the game definately needs more filler for those who don't want to take breaks.

Top Bottom