• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone still play Quake 3?

Tellaerin

BlackSalad said:
no thanks, I'm actually quite happy with my quake 3.

And I'm quite happy with the UT series. (Well, except for 2k3, which played like the deformed bastard child of UT and Q3a, but that's another topic for another day. :) )

It seems like those defending Q3 are just throwing around a bunch of descriptive buzz words with absolutely no backing or truth to them.

A true sign of an inferior game of choice.

Andy787

Banned
Tre said:
It seems like those defending Q3 are just throwing around a bunch of descriptive buzz words with absolutely no backing or truth to them.

That's hilarious. In case you didn't notice, or perhaps forgot, you actually typed this stuff:

Tre said:
Doubt it. Quake 3 was the weakest of the 99 FPS war between itself and UT. UT slaughtered it.

Tre said:
I'm surprised peoople sitll do play Quake 3, actually. I figured everyone would've moved on to something worthwhile to play.

Tre said:
Q3 deathmatch rocks if you just want to slag rockets around aimlessly in enclosed areas. Probably how a majority of you get your "skillz."

Tre said:
I can't see how anyone favors Quake 3's deathmatch. Boring, simplistic weapons, boring simplistic gameplay. UT mastered UT far better than Q3, with a host of other modes to boot.

Tre said:
*laugh reel*

Once again, though. I completely agree with Drinky Crow's assessment.
Ha.

Tre said:

Why resurect this discussion? What's to defend? Most of us made up our minds back in 1999.

Quake 3 Arena had a higher learning curve and because of the elitist nature of the game, many new comers couldn't get into it and went to UT. Despite the popularity of online gaming, many players didn't want a straight DM game and also went to UT. Just like how Quake 1 fans didn't like the progression to Quake 2, Quake 2 fans didn't like how of the 'feel' of the game changed going into Quake 3 Arena, and they also went to UT.

There are exceptions to those rules, but on the whole, those statements are generally true. There is nothing to argue about really. The hardcore, high-level players love Q3A and will always defend it, the masses will defend UT.

We have two (excellent) UT sequels, open-environment games like Battlefield, loads of military and realistic shooters, all featuring teamplay modes and novelty events in the vein of CTF and Counter-Strike.

What we don't have is a new DM game that goes beyond what id achieved with Quake 3 Arena. Going on five years later, that's more than can be said about UT and its 'complete package'.

Tellaerin

buck naked said:
The hardcore, high-level players love Q3A and will always defend it, the masses will defend UT.

Translation: 'All the good gamers are Q3a fans, while n00bs and mainstreamers play (and defend) UT.' :p Nice way of putting it, but you're still wrong. (Either that, or the hardcore UT community is just a figment of my imagination. :p )

buck naked said:
What we don't have is a new DM game that goes beyond what id achieved with Quake 3 Arena. Going on five years later, that's more than can be said about UT and its 'complete package'.

We had a DM game that went beyond what id achieved with Q3a way back in '99, when UT was released. ;) Q3a had prettier visuals, but the only thing it arguably did better gameplay-wise was bounce pads. Since I don't consider bouncing around levels on a virtual trampoline an important part of the deathmatch experience, UT's more diverse arsenal and movement options (which were actually designed as part of the game and didn't involve exploiting physics bugs ;) ) gave it the win, IMO. UT2k3 and 2k4 both build on that foundation. Of course, I don't expect the Quake contingent to acknowledge any of this, since 'id is the master of deathmatch', 'the only way for any FPS to surpass Q3a would be for id to make it,' yadda yadda yadda--all sentiments I've heard on messageboards a million times before when the UT/Quake comparisons begin.

Tellaerin said:
Translation: 'All the good gamers are Q3a fans, while n00bs and mainstreamers play (and defend) UT.' :p Nice way of putting it, but you're still wrong. (Either that, or the hardcore UT community is just a figment of my imagination. :p )

Don't misunderstand me, I'm talking about where the UT fans came from, not what they are now.

Tellaerin said:
We had a DM game that went beyond what id achieved with Q3a way back in '99, when UT was released. ;) Q3a had prettier visuals, but the only thing it arguably did better gameplay-wise was bounce pads. Since I don't consider bouncing around levels on a virtual trampoline an important part of the deathmatch experience, UT's more diverse arsenal and movement options (which were actually designed as part of the game and didn't involve exploiting physics bugs ;) ) gave it the win, IMO. UT2k3 and 2k4 both build on that foundation. Of course, I don't expect the Quake contingent to acknowledge any of this, since 'id is the master of deathmatch', 'the only way for any FPS to surpass Q3a would be for id to make it,' yadda yadda yadda--all sentiments I've heard on messageboards a million times before when the UT/Quake comparisons begin.

Double tapping stafe to do a sideways hop is goes beyond what Q3A did? Strafe jumping in Q3A wasn't an exploit, IIRC it was limited to 3 hops. UT's 'diverse' weapons didn't appeal to everyone and they weren't as tight or balanced as Q3A's were. The level design wasn't as good and it didn't run very well outside of its Glide environment. Back in 1999 (before mods, user created content, and patches), that is what gave Q3A the win.

Tellaerin

buck naked said:
Strafe jumping in Q3A wasn't an exploit, IIRC it was limited to 3 hops.

It's an exploit. :) Id actually addressed it in a patch at one point, but the community ended up in an uproar, so it was deliberately 'un-fixed' afterwards. Google for it--you should probably still be able to find news related to that if you look. :)

As for the other points you mentioned... Even if you argue that the ways in which UT surpassed Q3a were minor, the fact remains that it was surpassed. Dodging and hammer-jumping as intentional features (rather than bug exploits) were an advance. Weapons with alt-fire modes (introduced back in the original Unreal) were an advance. Any issues you may have had with balance have been addressed in 2k3 and 2k4 as well, so I'd say that Q3a's been surpassed when it comes to weaponry. 2k3 and 2k4 added double-jumping, wall-jumping and dodge-jumping, movement options which put the UT series even further ahead of Q3a. I'd be inclined to disagree with you when it comes to Q3a's 'superior' level design (again, unless you have a thing for bounce pads ;) ), and as far as the renderer being Glide-optimized, 3DFX was still a going concern even in 1999, so that's not exactly a strike against UT, either. So at risk of repeating myself, yes, Q3a has already been surpassed, and more than once at that. :)

teepo

been a quake whore since quake1 and i loved both quake3 and ut to death and i can safley say quake3 or any quake game for that matter requires a lot more skill then any ut game. that say... overall, i liked ut more then quake3 because it was the better package but nothing comes close to the dm in quake3 or any quake series for that matter.

strafe jumping was a glitch in quake 1 I believe, and they intentionally put it in quake 2 and 3. There is no limit on the amount of strafe jumps in q3a, if done right, you'll almost double your speed (to about 500 units/sec instead of 300 in base)

comparing strafe jumping to dodging isn't really nessesary, strafe jumping is done 90% for speed and distance while dodging.. is to dodge etc..

Tellaerin

BlackSalad said:
strafe jumping was a glitch in quake 2 I believe, and they intentionally put it in quake 3.

Strafe-jumping wasn't intentionally put into Quake 3 Arena. It's an exploit, and in fact was corrected at one point with a patch. The community outcry over this was so great that it was deliberately added back in in a later point release. It was never intended as a 'feature'. Don't take my word for it, though--you can find a ton of references to this on the net, if you bother to look. :)

Tellaerin

Suerte said:
Too bad no one plays it in UT2k3/2k4 :(

Have you downloaded the newest patch for 2k4? It adds Instagib CTF as its own gametype in the gametypes menu and the server browser. Checking the server tab for IG CTF, I found around 200 or so servers as of yesterday. :)

Suerte

Tellaerin said:
Have you downloaded the newest patch for 2k4? It adds Instagib CTF as its own gametype in the gametypes menu and the server browser. Checking the server tab for IG CTF, I found around 200 or so servers as of yesterday. :)

Oh don't get me wrong, I know there are servers it just seems the vast majority are empty :\

Top Bottom