• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Special Event - 10.16.14 - "It's been way too long"

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingKong

Hmmm really? The Mini 2 seems to perform pretty damn well for me on iOS8. It's my iPad Mini 1 that is nigh unuseable with iOS8. I don't even know if I'll be able to unload the first mini. That thing is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO slow.

It's not bad, but I upgraded from iphone 4S to 6 and iOS8 is so much smoother and nicer on the iphone 6 than my retina mini

Bullza2o

Apple store is back! Now I can go back stalking my IP6+ preorder!

And maybe look at an iPad Mini 2. $300 is a great price for it.

Wow, the 27" Retina iMac feels like its...actually priced aggressively. Gorgeous 4K display from Apple for under $3K? Nice.

Need the new TBD though. Already have a rMBP, no need for an iMac.

Also I'll wait a few days before updating to Yosemite. I'm wary of Apple fucking up software updates nowadays. I cant afford Yosemite screwing up my work computer, just in case.

AngryMoth

If they have upgraded the ram I don't understand why they not only didn't announce it in the keynote but fail to mention it anywhere on their site as far as I can tell. It's the only reason I was planning to upgrade, dropping safari tabs constantly is so annoying. Don't hide the number one selling point!

Necrovex

If portability is your main thing, then I'd recommend the Mini 2. I like my Air, as I mainly use it for magazines and comic book reading.

I´m pretty happy with my Air. I use it daily for work and personal purposes. It´s light and very portable. Get one and never look back.

I'll be hoping to use the tablet for an array of tasks. One would be comic reading too! I'll be living in South Africa, so I want to bring my tablet along when I gotta walk/bike to my job. Sounds like a Mini 2 (screw Mini 3) would be better for my situation, price-wise and portability wise. Thanks for the opinions!

Though I want to ask if a Mini 2 would be a *major* or only a (very) *minor* downgrade from an Air 2 or Air 1.

My decision to grab a Ipad Mini 2 for cheap is looking smart now.

$100 for touchID :lol

But fml does that 5K iMac look sweet.

Glad I decided to wait for the conference as well. The last gen iPad should be much cheaper now!

Guess Who

Banned
iPad Air 2 is a solid upgrade. Retina iMac is extremely interesting and aggressive. New Mac Mini upgrades are boring. iPad mini 3 is honestly hilarious.

They really made love to the pooch on this iPad Mini 3 upgrade.

$100 for Touch ID? Am I missing something?

The 3 is a non-starter but the 2 looks intriguing at $299. Still leaning Nexus 9 though to replace my 7 (2013). It should murder the Minis performance-wise.
Wait... mini 2 is $299 now?!

badb0y

Still Apple to me is a company that would be willing to pay a decent premium for the best component. I guess the price difference was too big and we know from other companies that Nvidia is a bitch to work with. MS fled them after the Xbox and Sony after the PS3.

Maxwell just fits it so well and in desktop form is quite affordable. I would just buy 970s for OEMs from Nvidia and downclock them, but I guess Nvidia wouldn't like that :p
That's just an illusion they created. Apple is willing to pay to component manufacturers what the customers are willing to pay Apple.

How do you think Apple takes in the lion's share of PC profits despite controlling 10% of the market share?

Red

R290m. Why

I was hoping this would be the model to get. Very disappointed they went with AMD.

There's always next year.

Hopefully I'll get to try it out before I get to bed. It's 20.56 here atm.

Nice avatar, I saw American Psycho for the first time today. Awesome movie!

Let's hope, Mavericks had its time. It's time for something new and shiny.

Thanks, yea it's definitely an awesome movie. If you like reading books —and I know it sounds like a cliché, but still — I'd definitely recommend the book as well, it's even better!

LCfiner

mini 3 seems like a shockingly poor update.

there’s really just one reason - touch ID - to spend 100 more on the mini 3 instead of mini 2. no speed update, no laminated display… it’s not even thinner.

jeesh. makes the mini 2 a no brainer unless you really enter a lot of passwords frequently and need touch ID.

there’s really just one reason - touch ID - to spend 100 more on the mini 3 instead of mini 2. no speed update, no laminated display… it’s not even thinner.

jeesh. makes the mini 2 a no brainer unless you really enter a lot of passwords frequently and need touch ID.

Come here to post this. It is identical to the iPad mini 2, apart from being available in silver/gold and having touch ID.

At least I know I'm not going to have to fork out for a new iPad mini this year now..

mrklaw

MrArseFace

And even if you do enter a lot of passwords, lastpass integration makes that pretty easy

mid83

Yes. New mini 3 takes the same price point, mini 2 drops $100

The fact that the mini 3 seems to have no upgrades except the Touch ID makes the mini 2 definitely the sweet spot

I might get a Mini 2 16 GB for $299 if the iPad Air 2 is confirmed to only have 1 GB of RAM since my iPad 2 is chugging along at this point.

With that said, do all new iOS products come with the latest version of iOS loaded? My only concern with the Mini 2 is using iOS 8 since I've heard from multiple places that there is lag present. If the Mini 2 comes with iOS 7.xx out of the box, then I'd be happy with that.

AndTAR

White or black front for the air 2? I have a white air and hate the combination of black surround to the screen plus the visible air gap. With it being a laminated screen I'm tempted to go white again but I assume it'll still have a noticable black border? In that case would a black bezel make more sense?

I switched from white to black myself, but I'm actually contemplating white again now with these lamination improvements. Even if the slight black border is still there, I have a feeling this "image sitting on top of surface" effect makes it much less distracting, and just work much better from a purely aesthetic perspective. (Obviously quite subjective, of course.)

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
....or possibly, a bunch of components not really powerful enough to run such a display.

I am not saying you are going to load up bootcamp and play your steam games at native res on Ultra, BUT I find the idea that the hardware isn't powerful enough do most tasks unlikely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom