• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Special Event - 10.16.14 - "It's been way too long"

Status
Not open for further replies.

rashbeep

Banned
Wow, the 27" Retina iMac feels like its...actually priced aggressively. Gorgeous 4K display from Apple for under $3K? Nice.

Need the new TBD though. Already have a rMBP, no need for an iMac.

Also I'll wait a few days before updating to Yosemite. I'm wary of Apple fucking up software updates nowadays. I cant afford Yosemite screwing up my work computer, just in case.

Apparently Dell will be selling a 5k monitor for around the same price. I've always been one to think Apple products are overpriced, but this is making me eat crow.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I might just go with the low end 27" iMac. At least the RAM is upgradeable and the HDD is 7200RPM. A bit more pricey, but it would look damn nice on my desk. Haven't fully decided yet.

The weird thing though is how the iMacs with the same basic specs as my 15" rMPB have only 1GB VRAM instead of 2GB on the same GPU.

Red

I wonder what the bulk cost of the R290m is against, say, the 980m. Because for a 5K display + computer the new iMac is excellently priced, but the GPU deflates all excitement. Could they have chosen AMD to keep the cost low?

MercuryLS

Banned
The best thing about the new iPads is that the retina mini is going to drop like crazy on resale websites. I might be able to get a 32gb one for around $300. Awesome. May just do that.

Why are people upset with the iPad Mini 3? Not only did they add touch ID, but now you can even get a 128GB option for just $599! iPad Mini 2 only goes up to 32 GB! Huge upgrade!
lol

numble

One SIM. Many options.
The new Apple SIM is preinstalled on iPad Air 2 with Wi-Fi + Cellular models. The Apple SIM gives you the flexibility to choose from a variety of short-term plans from select carriers in the U.S. and UK right on your iPad. So whenever you need it, you can choose the plan that works best for you — with no long-term commitments. And when you travel, you may also be able to choose a data plan from a local carrier for the duration of your trip.
http://www.apple.com/ipad-air-2/wireless/

Sobriquet

Just purchased the new iMac with Retina, (DAMIT APPLE! making me broke).

But now I'm looking for some thoughts on this,

I have a top of the line iMac right now currently, trying to figure out what to sell it for, anyone have any suggestions?

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013)
Applecare til Dec 14, 2015,
3.5 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
3gb Fusion Drive
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB

I'm curious as well. Mine has the same specs.

mid83

Based on the iPad mini 3 specs, I Won't be surprised to see it get phased out over the next few years. Pretty obvious that the iPhone 6 plus is already eating into its relevance for Apple.

Honestly how have sales of the Mini 1/2 been? Of course its anecdotal but it seems like I mostly see bigger iPads out in the wild.

whiteape

Bought the Retina iMac with the better GPU, but still curious if it can run that display smooth. Not talking about games. But i still remember that first 13" retina MacBook Pro. That felt pretty stuttering…

Jeff-DSA

Bought the Retina iMac with the better GPU, but still curious if it can run that display smooth. Not talking about games. But i still remember that first 13" retina MacBook Pro. That felt pretty stuttering…

I inherited that first gen 13" retina MBP at my lost job. It was the worst laptop I've ever owned in my life. It ran hot, it ran loud, and it showed me the freaking beach ball in every single program.

jts

...hate me...
They also announced the iPhone 7. Shame you missed it.
Yep.

And wow @ the part where they said that only the ones watching live would be able to get one or even find information about it.

I don't even know how they do it, but I love it!

Just purchased the new iMac with Retina, (DAMIT APPLE! making me broke).

But now I'm looking for some thoughts on this,

I have a top of the line iMac right now currently, trying to figure out what to sell it for, anyone have any suggestions?

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013)
Applecare til Dec 14, 2015,
3.5 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
3gb Fusion Drive
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB

development on the 5k display is going to be awesome right?

kennah

$499 Option

1.4ghz laptop CPU. 4gig of (probably) non user replaceable RAM.

Next available upgrade is the $699 to get a 2.6Ghz i5 with 8gig of RAM.

To get a dual core i7, you need to add $300 to that 699 making the cheapest i7 model $999. The old Mac Mini had a Quad Core i7 for $750 (though granted it was HD4000 graphics and 4gigs of RAM).

IN THE END it works out to being more expensive.

Iacobellis

Fucking Apple Tax, amirite? Gosh everything they make is so overpriced.

/s, obvsiously

To be fair, you'll still be spending a bit extra if you plan to use the machine for what it's designed for. The M290X isn't exactly a killer GPU. I don't know why Apple didn't go with the newer mobile 9xx chips from NVIDIA instead.

To be fair, you'll still be spending a bit extra if you plan to use the machine for what it's designed for. The M290X isn't exactly a killer GPU. I don't know why Apple didn't go with the newer mobile 9xx chips from NVIDIA instead.

AMD probably offered them a cheaper deal

MrGerbils

What it's designed for? Macs aren't really known for gaming, and most professional apps don't make great use of GPUs.

A base iMac will be great for photo / video / audio editing, graphic design, mobile app development, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom