• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Special Event - 10.16.14 - "It's been way too long"

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdubs

Banned
Can we all that it's ridiculous that it's the year 2014 and Apple is only giving us 16GB for the base. Damn Apple what is your problem.

*Runs out to buy 16gb model*

Popstar

I was waiting for the new Mini to replace my iPad 2 but I'm not sure what I'll get now.

$100 for touch ID (and 64GB storage instead of 32GB on more expensive model) doesn't seem worth it.

I imagine they're keeping the $249 model around for volume purchases, education and business.

samn

Hmmm I thought the Air had a different A7 in it. Anyways, I haven't followed iPad launches much in the last couple years so I apologize for the misinformation.

It was clocked ever so slightly faster, but it didn't make much difference in usage.

ReAxion

It doesn't even do Apple Pay!?!? So it's little more than a shortcut for unlocking (I don't even lock my ipads) or entering your apple account password...

It doesn't do it at the register, because of what you said, you're not taking it out. They already know this isn't going to be happening. It's kind of their job.

Necrovex

Quick question, I'm moving overseas and I'm interested in getting an iPad (never had a tablet). I need it to be super portable since I'll be moving a lot with it. Sounds like a Mini 2 is probably the best choice for my situation. Can some Mini/Air users give me some opinions on that matter? I'm not against getting an Air if it is a better option!

Jomjom

Banned
It doesn't do it at the register, because of what you said, you're not taking it out. They already know this isn't going to be happening. It's kind of their job.

Yeah makes sense. I dunno I just don't find the convenience of using my thumbprint for passwords to be useful. I actually avoid using it for that.

numble

I don't really get the point of TouchID on an iPad. I'm not going to be taking that thing out to do Apple Pay or something.
My job requires a complicated password on iOS devices that has to be updated regularly, this will be helpful. Also every account I have, especially bank accounts, has a complicated 1Password password, that will be helped with TouchID.

BFIB

Quick question, I'm moving overseas and I'm interested in getting an iPad (never had a tablet). I need it to be super portable since I'll be moving a lot with it. Sounds like a Mini 2 is probably the best choice for my situation. Can some Mini/Air users give me some opinions on that matter? I'm not against getting an Air if it is a better option!

If portability is your main thing, then I'd recommend the Mini 2. I like my Air, as I mainly use it for magazines and comic book reading.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
So I'm buying my mum an iPad mini in the next week or two. Best to stick with the iPad mini 2? I have a £120 voucher to use in store as well.

kaskade

Well no reason to upgrade my Mini Retina (which I'm glad about).

Anyone know if there will be an update for Yosemite for the public beta users? Pretty sure there was a small one a few days ago.

I´m pretty happy with my Air. I use it daily for work and personal purposes. It´s light and very portable. Get one and never look back.

R1CHO

So, wait a minute, why would anybody buy the mini3 instead of the mini2?

It's literally just the touch id sensor isn't it?

Ty4on

I don't really get the point of TouchID on an iPad. I'm not going to be taking that thing out to do Apple Pay or something.
Not having to write in the password everytime. I've listened to too many Apple podcasts lately, but all they did was moan that password when they went from the iPhone to the iPad.
I don't think it's worth 100$ though...
Maxwell is a marvel of engineering and has amazing battery life and performance but nVidia will sodomize you with the price. Since an iMac is not a mobile device one of the major reasons to use Maxwell GPUs is gone. AMD probably gave Apple a heck of a deal and Apple needed to get the price as low as possible to get people to jump on the iMac.
Still Apple to me is a company that would be willing to pay a decent premium for the best component. I guess the price difference was too big and we know from other companies that Nvidia is a bitch to work with. MS fled them after the Xbox and Sony after the PS3.

Maxwell just fits it so well and in desktop form is quite affordable. I would just buy 970s for OEMs from Nvidia and downclock them, but I guess Nvidia wouldn't like that :p

mid83

Yeah they did a rather weird scheme of re-using the same chip in every single product last year, more or less. Also makes this year's iPad update sort of double-strength (hence the rather ridiculous 2.5x GPU increase, of course.)

Same here absolutely, there is a slightly blurry motherboard leak (appeared a few days back) which sort of confirms 2GB though (semi-visible serial number on RAM chip matching 2GB part number.)

It's weird how inconsistent these upgrades seem to be.

In any case, a confirmed iPad Air 2 with 2 GB of ram seems like a good buy in my opinion. Pretty significant processor upgrade and the RAM upgrade would give me a little confidence that this thing would handle the next couple iOS releases without much issue. Keeping 1 GB of ram would almost guarantee that iOS 9 runs like garbage next year.

Quick

Banned
Touch ID and a gold colour option are nice additions, but that was a pretty disappointing iPad refresh overall. At least last year's models are cheaper now.

The iPad Air name is bothering me, now that it's the iPad Air 2. I wish they could just go back to labelling them as "iPad".

thiscoldblack

Unconfirmed Member
That was so disappointing. The "way too long" hype got me. The picture of all products re-assure me there was going to be an added new product they've been working for years now. Whatever happened to what Jobs wanted to do with television?

5K Mac is great, though.

Abraxas

My decision to grab a Ipad Mini 2 for cheap is looking smart now.

$100 for touchID :lol

But fml does that 5K iMac look sweet.

That was so disappointing. The "way too long" hype got me. The picture of all products re-assure me there was going to be an added new product they've been working for years now. Whatever happened to what Jobs wanted to do with television?

5K Mac is great, though.

The "way too long" was a joke since they just had a big presentation last month

Popstar

The 64GB and 128GB storage sizes aren't offered on the Mini 2. That and touch id seem to be the only spec differences known so far.

bryehn

Man that new mini just isn't worth it at all for the way my family uses tablets. Oh well, hopefully mini 2's get a bit of a cut in Canada.

Cse

Banned

And the mini 3 doesn't even have an integrated NFC chip, so the Touch ID is really only for unlocking the device and for authorizing online purchases.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Sucks

I don't mind getting the new iMac if I can use it with other electronics

It works with all your other (Apple) electronics!

unfortunately apple gains nothing by letting you use the imac as a dumb monitor so they don't make it easy. there might be HDMI to display port converters, but they aren't going to be native res and then you would get input lag so it isn't worth it

Mr Swine

Banned
So disappointed but at the same time I'm glad im not going to spend money on the Mini 3 or Air 2 that doesn't offer significant upgrades

Kysen

Hmmm really? The Mini 2 seems to perform pretty damn well for me on iOS8.

If I cant use more than 2 tabs with constant switching when browsing then what is the point. I like to have my device out when playing games on my 3ds/Vita. For example MH having multiple bosses, armor and consumable pages open. But when tabbing between them causes a refresh and re-download of the whole page it is incredibly annoying. Going to certain sites also causes it to freeze up if there are large images/gifs or errant Javascript. Then there is the comment section of any site which will inevitably cause the browser to crash without fail.

The device is marketed as a consumption device but it struggles at that. Went and bought a mackbook pro and no longer have to deal with those issues.

rezuth

5K Mac is great, though.

Apple just announced the Apple Watch, they're not gonna drop all bombs at once.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
White or black front for the air 2? I have a white air and hate the combination of black surround to the screen plus the visible air gap. With it being a laminated screen I'm tempted to go white again but I assume it'll still have a noticable black border? In that case would a black bezel make more sense?

When will preorders go up UK time? Just queued up last year for the air and it won't too bad. This year the jump isn't that big so queues might be smaller, but a preorder is peace of mind. Can you preorder to pick up instore?

crmetteer

Never had a Mac before, but I'm looking into the Mac mini. If I buy a monitor with a built in camera and microphone, can I use it for FaceTime on the Mac mini?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom