• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Special Event - 10.16.14 - "It's been way too long"

Status
Not open for further replies.

mid83

Apparently not.

iPad mini 3 is the exact same device as the iPad mini with Retina display, aside from the inclusion of Touch ID.

Absolutely pathetic.

It's not an A8? Didn't the original Air have the A7X and the Mini w/ Retina have the A7 last year?

http://www.apple.com/ipad-mini-3/performance/
XwI72g8.png

So $100 for TouchID?

Wow, they literally did nothing to it, except add a thumb print scanner. Good job Apple, I think you winged it so hard your arm fell off.

AndTAR

How quick do iPad teardowns get posted online? I really want to see what the memory is before I make a purchase decision.

Also, what's the best place to go for teardown info (what blogs/sites)?

They usually begin immediately following the first country's release, with iFixit camping in Australia (I believe?) and doing it as a liveblog... (Catching some lucrative page views I guess.) Benchmark tests sometimes leak out quicker though, revealing memory, processor speed and the like.

L-gon

They really made love to the pooch on this iPad Mini 3 upgrade.

$100 for Touch ID? Am I missing something?

The 3 is a non-starter but the 2 looks intriguing at $299. Still leaning Nexus 9 though to replace my 7 (2013). It should murder the Minis performance-wise.

Very predictable event, sadly. 5K iMac is delicious, though, even if they got the GPU wrong.

It's basically the same as a Radeon 7870, which isn't bad, but it's a mid-2012 card and not even a workstation card at that. I think it's going to have fits with resolutions that high on the iMac.

antipode

Pixelmator for iPad looks absolutely insane.

I believe there is nothing like this on Android tablets right now. Aviary, for example, downsamples images when you load them to work on tablets. (Surface obviously has a range of full-featured editors already.)

http://www.pixelmator.com/blog/

Sneak Peek at Pixelmator for iPad
Thursday, 16 October 2014.

This one is huge. And I mean it.

We are extremely excited to finally let you know that we’ve been working very hard at a non-stop pace for two years on something that is definitely one of the best apps for the iPad ever. Or, if you will, definitely the best image editing app for the iPad.

Today, we introduce Pixelmator for iPad — a full featured image editing app for the iPad.

Just to tease you a bit more, we won’t show everything as of yet. But there are a few things that we just cannot keep to ourselves:

Pixelmator for iPad is a full featured, layer-based image editor that you can use to create, edit, and enhance your images. It looks amazing. It is a real iOS 8 app. Also, it is so incredibly easy to use. Pixelmator for iPad has a fantastic true-to-life painting engine, incredible color adjustments, retouching tools, gorgeous effects, shapes, typography, selection tools, non-destructive layer styles, and pretty much all of the advanced image editing tools that you will ever need.

If that’s not enough, well, Pixelmator for iPad can work with Photoshop documents. Of course, it works flawlessly with Pixelmator for Mac via full iCould support, via Handoff, or whatever else you choose.

It is definitely a superb app and here is a tiny sneak peek of what it looks like:

Pixelmator for iPad is coming out very soon. It will cost $4.99, and it is going to be awesome. Oh, and by the way, it’s just 1.0 yet. This is only the beginning.

Jomjom

Banned
I don't really get the point of TouchID on an iPad. I'm not going to be taking that thing out to do Apple Pay or something.

jts

...hate me...
Has the A8X no?
Nope!

HvHOQhA.png

Absolute joke of an update. And they kept the premium they introduced last year because it had HW parity with the iPad Air. I can't.

And the OG iPad mini is still there too, for shits and giggles. At least remove the mini 2 or something. Too much noise on that product line.

badb0y

Wow.

Ryan Smith (Anandtech):

I Have a 7870, decent GPU, but it was mid range in 2012. Same chip as the R9 270X which is today less than 200$.

Shame they didn't go for Maxwell which would have been a perfect fit to drive many pixels while using little power, but I guess they for whatever reason need to use AMD in Macs.
Maxwell is a marvel of engineering and has amazing battery life and performance but nVidia will sodomize you with the price. Since an iMac is not a mobile device one of the major reasons to use Maxwell GPUs is gone. AMD probably gave Apple a heck of a deal and Apple needed to get the price as low as possible to get people to jump on the iMac.

numble

Because I was pointing out that is what you can buy it now at? It's possible that sale could be up there forever until the price drops because new and better stuff will be out by then. Okay, if I bought it right now, would I be paying $2500? No, I wouldn't. And no, they aren't lying.
Okay, we're on the same page. I don't think we should rely on sales in making market comparisons.

KorrZ

Hmm I'm torn between the Nexus 9 and the iPad Air 2... the Air 2 is really nice but I just want confirmation that it's rocking at least 2GB of RAM.

Jomjom

Banned
Well at least I feel good about my Mini Retina purchase last month. Was worried that buying so close to the announcement the price would drop below what I paid or the Mini 3 would be too good to pass up. Neither of those things happened!

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
So yeah,

DELL said:
The Dell UltraSharp 27 Ultra HD 5K Monitor is USD $2,499.99 and will be available in the fourth quarter of this year.

Or you could buy an iMac tomorow with (likely) the same panel, for the same price, with an entire fucking computer inside it.

Crazy

jts

...hate me...
I don't really get the point of TouchID on an iPad. I'm not going to be taking that thing out to do Apple Pay or something.
That's not the only use of Touch ID, you know. As a matter of fact, Touch ID was introduced before Apple Pay, with the 5s that doesn't even support Apple Pay in retail stores.

Touch ID is the new Apple home button, featuring biometric user authentication. There's not much to get innit.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Nope!

HvHOQhA.png

Absolute joke of an update. And they kept the premium they introduced last year because it had HW parity with the iPad Air. I can't.

And the OG iPad mini is still there too, for shits and giggles. At least remove the mini 2 or something. Too much noise on that product line.

Yep, totally agree. But like keeping the iPad 2 around, they are doing so because it sells :/

ApplePay works as a payment system within apps, so if you buy from Target's app, you can tap on the ApplePay button and instantly approve the purchase just by your thumbprint instead of having to input all your credit card info again.

mid83

They usually begin immediately following the first country's release, with iFixit camping in Australia (I believe?) and doing it as a liveblog... (Catching some lucrative page views I guess.) Benchmark tests sometimes leak out quicker though, revealing memory, processor speed and the like.

So I'm assuming we won't know for sure until next week at the earliest how much ram is in the Air 2?

I was ready to preorder tomorrow, but I refuse to without knowing how much ram.

AndTAR

Hmmm I thought the Air had a different A7 in it. Anyways, I haven't followed iPad launches much in the last couple years so I apologize for the misinformation.

Yeah they did a rather weird scheme of re-using the same chip in every single product last year, more or less. Also makes this year's iPad update sort of double-strength (hence the rather ridiculous 2.5x GPU increase, of course.)

So I'm assuming we won't know for sure until next week at the earliest how much ram is in the Air 2?

I was ready to preorder tomorrow, but I refuse to without knowing how much ram.

Same here absolutely, there is a slightly blurry motherboard leak (appeared a few days back) which sort of confirms 2GB though (semi-visible serial number on RAM chip matching 2GB part number.)

Kysen

Glad I offloaded my mini 2 on Tuesday, the performance on it was abysmal. Even worse it looks like they are releasing the exact same model again just with Touch ID now. Utter fail.

Jomjom

Banned
I'll definitely be picking up an Air 2 for my dad though. That looks like a good upgrade from the original iPad 2.

Glad I offloaded my mini 2 on Tuesday, the performance on it was abysmal. Even worse it looks like they are releasing the exact same model again just with Touch ID now. Utter fail.

Hmmm really? The Mini 2 seems to perform pretty damn well for me on iOS8. It's my iPad Mini 1 that is nigh unuseable with iOS8. I don't even know if I'll be able to unload the first mini. That thing is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO slow.

Corgi

Banned
ahaha the mini retina even has the same cameras as last year.

such a disappointment because i find the mini to be the ideal form factor for an ipad.

Disappointed that there's no new ipod touch as I was hoping to upgrade, and I really don't see another one coming out. Maybe I'll just buy a used iphone and use that.

Toki767

ApplePay works as a payment system within apps, so if you buy from Target's app, you can tap on the ApplePay button and instantly approve the purchase just by your thumbprint instead of having to input all your credit card info again.

It makes sense for convenience, but man is that convenience ever so dangerous for the wallet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom