• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple TV |OT|

Having never really bothered with any DD+ content on my server, what I'm curious is whether the client or server is failing here. Is the AppleTV telling the server, 'hey I can do DD+ ... give me it', and then actually failing at play it back via DirectPlay? Or is the AppleTV not advertising that it can play back DD+, and the server is actually failing on the transcode?

I'd be somewhat surprised at the latter, but having never tried any DD+ content I have no idea whether Plex has transcode problems with it in general.

Honestly I'm just like a dog chasing a car with this whole DD+ quest. DD @ 640k sounds more than fine to my ears, I've just heard tell that DD+ is roughly twice as efficient and bests DTS-HD @ 1.5Mbps (i.e. not MA).

There isn't much DD+ content out there, but I rip my BluRays from whatever lossless format they are into FLAC and from there use Handbrake and/or ffmpeg transcode the video/audio it down to a size more suitable for archival and generally more compatible with things like my iOS devices and now this Apple TV.

Quasar

Plex looks sooooooooo good compared to the apps on other devices. Really debating returning my shield tv now.

Its funny. The Apple TV look has me going back to the Android version on my Nexus Player. I really prefer the darker looking Android version.

I turned off App Auto update, i like to see whats changed in Apps before i update them.

Problem with that is there's no way to see what apps need to be updated, unless you go into each app on the App store and see an Update icon instead of Download or buy.

There's no badge on the App Store logo or an updates tab in the app store :/

No, I can't. It's not public material (in contrast to Geekbench scores). I gave as much backing as I could - there are classes of tasks where apple's chips are so efficient (uarch + ISA) that they outgun Haswells per clock. Computational tasks. That combined with apple chips' TDP makes them prime candidates for distributed workloads of said classes. A high-clocked* 2x A8 @ $150 comes at no competition in that space especially when it comes to budget installations. It's as simple as that.

Erm, you need power efficiency for most computationally-heavy tasks. One of the reasons GPUs pummel CPUs at GPGPU - you can always throw more CPUs to match the power of a GPU, but the GPU is still more efficient.

* Still sub-2GHz, I guess.

Well it's hard to discuss performance and usage needs without details. I'll just have to take your word for it. It sounds to me like a highly specific edge case though but hard to say without knowing more detail on the requires of the simulation.

I don't believe anyone said it was the perfect or best box, but rather, it has the brightest future. I would agree with that, given Apple's chops in software and their developer base.

And you did say the Fire TV was the better solution than the Apple TV, which I don't agree with because of my own preferences. I don't care for XBMC or side loading Android apps, like you do. Both decisions are perfectly acceptable.

But it's kind of an empty statement to say it has the brightest future. You might as well say that about any product Apple releases because of their position in the market, the money and resources they have, their clout, and their history. Everyone was saying Apple was going to show how to do watches right and that they had the most potential and it's been lukewarm since that got announced and released. Sure Apple's position gives a lot of potential and I would definitely acknowledge that which is why I've been highly interested in an Apple TV since I got my first Apple TV2. But again, potential is meaningless if it never realizes just like the PlayStation TV. By all accounts, the PlayStation TV should have been great with all its potential and Sony dropped the ball on that so hard. Not to say Apple is going to blunder it like Sony, but potential only goes so far.

I also said I think the Fire TV is in a better position right now. Not forever, right now. Like everyone said, the Apple TV4 is just a few days old. It hasn't even stretched its legs yet, but that doesn't mean Roku and Fire TV aren't more mature and a better box at this point in time. In theory the Fire TV should have a ton of potential too if you want to use potential as a measuring stick, but that potential of universal search in Netflix still hasn't panned out in a year and is a sticking point to you. The CEO of Netflix even said it was coming shortly a year ago. It would have sucked if voice search in Netflix was a huge deal for you and you bought it because the CEO of Netflix said it was coming within a few months which turned into over a year and nothing. That's why banking on potential isn't always great. Why would you disbelieve Amazon and Reed Hastings that it was coming?

Clearly Plex doesn't make sense in your particular case, but so others don't get scared off it needs to be pointed there are numerous situations where it could be useful for them.

Plex's client / server model was certainly a product of its time. There were a number of streaming boxes hitting the market that simply did not have the processing power to do software decoding of HD content. So the idea of a breaking XBMC in two so you could have a transcoding server made perfect sense. And even today, there can still be issues on devices like the Fire TV. For example, high bit-rate 1080i deinterlacing can still struggle a bit on Fire TV Kodi, so people utilizing networked tuners or DVR content may still need a transcoding backend.

For people on the cutting edge, I'd say we are getting towards the end of its necessity on streaming boxes. In a few generations I suspect we'll be at a point where they can handle any HD playback. So for that reason I think it makes sense for Plex to start doing a hybrid approach; clients that have the processing muscle should start doing software playback. Of course the reality is there will still be plenty of people that are slow to adopt. Not everyone is like us and buys new streamers every year.

Even then however, it still doesn't mean the server transcoding doesn't have use. What's gonna happen with UHD? I suspect we'll have a nice period where a PC backend still makes sense for a large contingent. The bigger point though being what about mobile? Sure phones keep getting faster and faster, but until there is a major breakthrough in battery life you still would be running into battery drain issues from software decoding.

More importantly though ... what of bandwidth? Plenty of people use Plex to stream over a WAN (or even mobile). Running full bitrate, even if you can decode it on the other end, can be problematic. Whether it's a phone, tablet, browser or streaming box, if you want to access it outside of your home there's plenty of reason to transcode it. Some people have bandwidth caps ... some people have slow upload speeds ... plenty of locations you may access your content on the go have crap download speeds. The list goes on and on.

I've been upfront about this before; one of my biggest gripes about Plex is how they took XBMC and then charged money for some functionality. That has always bugged me since the beginning and add on the limitations and transcoding and it was just never something that I took to since I started with XBMC and it felt in every step of the way that Plex was XBMC-lite. Even when a unified database started becoming more appealing to me, I started to look at Plex with fresh eyes again, only to find out I could do the same thing in XBMC and it only took 5 to 10 minutes to set up. So I've never seen the benefit for me. I understand it's strengths, and a lot of that is the ease of setup, but I've always felt you could get more out of XBMC over Plex in the end.

That said, one of my biggest gripes is going away now that they're ditching Kodi as the core. I'm willing to take another look at them when they switch over and how they evolve with their new core to see if there's something to gain. I'm still in search of the perfect box because nothing has met my requirements, and possibly nothing will, but XBMC on the Fire TV was huge step forward that other box offered me in that quest and they were stupidly cheap to boot with sales being as cheap as $60 and offering me functionality my HTPC couldn't.

Honestly I'm just like a dog chasing a car with this whole DD+ quest. DD @ 640k sounds more than fine to my ears, I've just heard tell that DD+ is roughly twice as efficient and bests DTS-HD @ 1.5Mbps (i.e. not MA).

There isn't much DD+ content out there, but I rip my BluRays from whatever lossless format they are into FLAC and from there use Handbrake and/or ffmpeg transcode the video/audio it down to a size more suitable for archival and generally more compatible with things like my iOS devices and now this Apple TV.

I'm slightly confused. Do you have media that natively has DD+ or are you taking lossless audio and reencoding it to DD+? If it's the latter, what kind of data size gains are you getting. If it's the former, what has DD+? The only thing I've ever seen trigger DD+ is Netflix for me.

Quasar

Investigating the whole thing, I noticed with Netflix and season1 of the Flash my Nexus Player outputs 5.1 DDPlus to my AVR, but my ATV4 is out putting 7.1 PCM.

Actually with audio set to auto on my ATV4 I'm wondering if its internally converting all audio to PCM no matter what.

Investigating the whole thing, I noticed with Netflix and season1 of the Flash my Nexus Player outputs 5.1 DDPlus to my AVR, but my ATV4 is out putting 7.1 PCM.

Actually with audio set to auto on my ATV4 I'm wondering if its internally converting all audio to PCM no matter what.

I think this was discovered to be what it's doing earlier in the thread. It's handling it like the PS4 where it'll take any signal and just dump it out as PCM.

Its funny. The Apple TV look has me going back to the Android version on my Nexus Player. I really prefer the darker looking Android version.

I don't mind the background not being black, I guess it's there for the shadows behind the tiles. But I would like it better if it's a few shades darker.

I'm slightly confused. Do you have media that natively has DD+ or are you taking lossless audio and reencoding it to DD+? If it's the latter, what kind of data size gains are you getting. If it's the former, what has DD+? The only thing I've ever seen trigger DD+ is Netflix for me.

The latter. I transcode my rips for archival/playback. DD+ is more efficient than DD. Thus, I would like to use DD+ since Apple TV supports it.

In terms of data savings, here's an example for a BluRay I just ripped and transcoded today. The original audio in FLAC started at 3.88GB and the transcoded audio in DD @ 640k ended up at 672.5MB.

Working theory is that it's decoding the DD/DD+ and outputting it as PCM.

The latter. I transcode my rips for archival/playback. DD+ is more efficient than DD. Thus, I would like to use DD+ since Apple TV supports it.

In terms of data savings, here's an example for a BluRay I just ripped and transcoded today. The original audio in FLAC started at 3.88GB and the transcoded audio in DD @ 640k ended up at 672.5MB.

That's actually pretty interesting. I never considered that a possibility. Do you have any idea how difficult it would be to say rip a BluRay, keep all the native tracks, but also include a new transcoded audio track from lossless? I want to keep around the lossless track, but it might be nice to have an option for something that can't handle the lossless format.

Meicyn

Gold Member
The Reuters TV app is really nice. I like how it actually uses the hardware to display simple effects and text. It's nice how it tries to customize a news show based on how much time you tell it you have. I can see myself using this routinely.

giga

But it's kind of an empty statement to say it has the brightest future. You might as well say that about any product Apple releases because of their position in the market, the money and resources they have, their clout, and their history. Everyone was saying Apple was going to show how to do watches right and that they had the most potential and it's been lukewarm since that got announced and released. Sure Apple's position gives a lot of potential and I would definitely acknowledge that which is why I've been highly interested in an Apple TV since I got my first Apple TV2. But again, potential is meaningless if it never realizes just like the PlayStation TV. By all accounts, the PlayStation TV should have been great with all its potential and Sony dropped the ball on that so hard. Not to say Apple is going to blunder it like Sony, but potential only goes so far.

I also said I think the Fire TV is in a better position right now. Not forever, right now. Like everyone said, the Apple TV4 is just a few days old. It hasn't even stretched its legs yet, but that doesn't mean Roku and Fire TV aren't more mature and a better box at this point in time. In theory the Fire TV should have a ton of potential too if you want to use potential as a measuring stick, but that potential of universal search in Netflix still hasn't panned out in a year and is a sticking point to you. The CEO of Netflix even said it was coming shortly a year ago. It would have sucked if voice search in Netflix was a huge deal for you and you bought it because the CEO of Netflix said it was coming within a few months which turned into over a year and nothing. That's why banking on potential isn't always great. Why would you disbelieve Amazon and Reed Hastings that it was coming?
Yes, all those reasons you stated are potential factors for why an Apple product (in general) has a brighter future in a market that has still yet declare any winner(s). Competitors have had years on Apple's "hobby" and the market is still nascent. But I agree that it's still to early to declare any device the winner.

And I'm going to continue to disagree with your second paragraph. The Fire TV is in a better position for what? Capturing the audience who want Kodi and side loading Android apps? Sure. But that's a small minority.

I have no clue what happened with Netflix. I'm going to guess Reed saw Prime (and thus the Fire TV) as a competitor he didn't want to help. It's a baseless guess though, so again, no idea.

Meh3D

Question:

Does the Apple TV (69.99) Netflix App finally allow you to automatically play the next episode in a series?

I had previously borrowed an Apple TV a couple of years ago. My issue was that the Netflix app did not automatically go to the next episode. Even when the iPhone 5 and iPad apps allowed this.

I was at Best Buy. I had reward points that would expired soon. (55 USD). I bought the new Apple TV 32GB. I figured I didn't want my PS3 original 60GB model as a Netflix/ Vudu player anymore (I don't want to wear and tear it further. Plus it's loud.) The Samsung apps on my TV are alright slugging and finicky. (That and I doubt they're supported anymore) I'm willing to go back and get the previous model if it just does that one feature. I was thinking about chrome cast but I remembered I owned a couple of movies on iTunes.

Question:

Does the Apple TV (69.99) Netflix App finally allow you to automatically play the next episode in a series?

I had previously borrowed an Apple TV a couple of years ago. My issue was that the Netflix app did not automatically go to the next episode. Even when the iPhone 5 and iPad apps allowed this.

I was at Best Buy. I had down points that would expired soon. (55 USD). I bought the new Apple TV 32GB. I figured I didn't want my PS3 original 60GB model as a Netflix/ Vudu player anymore (I don't want to wear and tear it further. Plus it's loud.) The Samsung apps on my TV are alright slugging and finicky. (That and I doubt they're supported anymore) I'm willing to go back and get the previous model if it just does that one feature. I was thinking about chrome cast but I remembered I owned a couple of movies on iTunes.

The new Netflix app doesn't go to the next episode? The 3rd gen did this. I wouldn't get the old one just for this feature, it looks like Netflix rushed this app and should be updated soon. I actually don't like the layout of the new Netflix app, too much of the screen is fancy show wallpaper and not enough thumbnails to go through.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
my apple tv just came today, its pretty cool. totally bought galaxy on fire, so now i need a bluetooth control pad.

Raistlin

Yeah I'm a little shocked there isn't a dark theme for the new OS.

It's a dedicated video playback device. There a reason basically every media player has a dark theme, and most default to it.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
I like how the raymen app icon looks 3dish when you move the cursor over it. its little touches like this i like.

Quasar

Yeah I'm a little shocked there isn't a dark theme for the new OS.

It's a dedicated video playback device. There a reason basically every media player has a dark theme, and most default to it.

Well I don't think there's any precendence for apple offering more than one look on anything. You either accept what Lord Ive gives or not own a Apple device.

Now Plex I could see them having a couple of themes for their app.

Miyahon

Dealing with two new issues on this Apple TV.

The Hulu app keeps asking me for my login and password once I exit the app.

Also the Apple TV doesn't work over ethernet anymore.

Restarted my router, unplugged the cables to the Apple TV and even restarted the device but it still won't recognize the ethernet connection.

Settings shows connected with Ethernet but IP address is listed as N/A.

I did see it briefly show an IP address for a second but then it went back to N/A only after I restarted my router.

Have to resort to using wireless instead for now.

Raistlin

Well I don't think there's any precendence for apple offering more than one look on anything. You either accept what Lord Ive gives or not own a Apple device.

Now Plex I could see them having a couple of themes for their app.
Oh I can accept only having one theme, the issue is how bright it is.

Seems to be an example of style over substance. Lots of people watch media in light controlled rooms. That's why the themes are dark. Silly design choice that doesn't consider the actual intent of the device.

Quasar

Oh I can accept only having one theme, the issue is how bright it is.

Seems to be an example of style over substance. Lots of people watch media in light controlled rooms. That's why the themes are dark. Silly design choice that doesn't consider the actual intent of the device.

Reminds me of their new unusable mouse and keyboard, designed it seems as art pieces rather than practical devices.

Yes, all those reasons you stated are potential factors for why an Apple product (in general) has a brighter future in a market that has still yet declare any winner(s). Competitors have had years on Apple's "hobby" and the market is still nascent. But I agree that it's still to early to declare any device the winner.

And I'm going to continue to disagree with your second paragraph. The Fire TV is in a better position for what? Capturing the audience who want Kodi and side loading Android apps? Sure. But that's a small minority.

The Fire TV is more mature and has more capability at the moment. It supports more streaming services, it supports more music services, more services with voice search, it supports music search, it supports home automation, and so forth. It can even do something as basic as play YouTube natively Let's not discount the ability to side load things either. That gains you emulators, the ability to use other controllers like Wii controllers, Xbox 360 controllers, Dual Shock 3 and 4 controllers, the ability to do PS4 Remote Play, the ability to add in any Android app not in the Fire TV store, and more. In short, it adds in functionality that you couldn't have otherwise. I'm not saying it will always be better, but right now it is most certainly the more capable and mature box in comparison to the Apple TV4. I'm not discounting the fact that Apple TV4 is less than a week old though; I'm just saying it's not up to par at the moment and we'll need to wait to see how it evolves.

Reminds me of their new unusable mouse and keyboard, designed it seems as art pieces rather than practical devices.

Wait, what's wrong with the new keyboard and mouse? I know they've screwed up the mouse in the past, but how did they screw up the keyboard?

Ryck

Hi, wasn't sure if this would be the right place to ask but has anyone had trouble recently with the HBO GO app on their Apple Tv? In the last few days it has become basically unuseable. Been having to use my Ps3/4, which has been working perfectly. Maybe its OCD but it's just bothering me to have to switch devices just for one app.

Wait, what's wrong with the new keyboard and mouse? I know they've screwed up the mouse in the past, but how did they screw up the keyboard?

The mouse has a rechargeable battery... That you charge from the bottom of the mouse, like a harpooned turtle.

magic_mouse_2_charging.jpg

Keyboard is fine for me, but it's not backlit and the keys have a short throw, not as short as the new MacBook but not as deep as the old keyboard. Feels weird for a lot of people.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Plex's value to me is not primarily about transcoding (if necessary I'd re-rip and encode for native playback). More important is the metadata scraping and the 'on deck' feature making it easy to watch the next episodes of things. I guess you could do that client side, but i don't think it would be ideal. I'm sure they are always looking for alternatives as requiring a server will be a barrier to entry for many people.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Working theory is that it's decoding the DD/DD+ and outputting it as PCM.

Can Apple TV handle DTS? My rips usually keep the core DTS 1.5mb stream and then also encode a 448k DD stream. Obviously I'd prefer to use the former

Marty - to your question earlier - it's easy to do dual audio. I use handbrake and set up a custom profile keeping the DTS audio and also adding a dd5.1 stream. Basically I tried to set it up so it'd be as compatible with native playback on iOS as possible so it wouldn't transcode when watching on my iPad, and DTS is there for eg Xbox one or plex media player on PC

The mouse has a rechargeable battery... That you charge from the bottom of the mouse, like a harpooned turtle.

Keyboard is fine for me, but it's not backlit and the keys have a short throw, not as short as the new MacBook but not as deep as the old keyboard. Feels weird for a lot of people.

Yikes on the mouse. I can't believe that decision. How long does a charge last though?

Plex's value to me is not primarily about transcoding (if necessary I'd re-rip and encode for native playback). More important is the metadata scraping and the 'on deck' feature making it easy to watch the next episodes of things. I guess you could do that client side, but i don't think it would be ideal. I'm sure they are always looking for alternatives as requiring a server will be a barrier to entry for many people.

Kodi does both metadata scraping and has an on deck functionality too. I'm not sure why you think it's not ideal doing it on the client side either.

Marty - to your question earlier - it's easy to do dual audio. I use handbrake and set up a custom profile keeping the DTS audio and also adding a dd5.1 stream. Basically I tried to set it up so it'd be as compatible with native playback on iOS as possible so it wouldn't transcode when watching on my iPad, and DTS is there for eg Xbox one or plex media player on PC

Thanks for the info. I think I'm going to have to experiment with that. Being able to add audio tracks to an untouched blu ray rip sounds like a neat thing to start doing. Any gotchas to it?

giga

The Fire TV is more mature and has more capability at the moment. It supports more streaming services, it supports more music services, more services with voice search, it supports music search, it supports home automation, and so forth. It can even do something as basic as play YouTube natively Let's not discount the ability to side load things either. That gains you emulators, the ability to use other controllers like Wii controllers, Xbox 360 controllers, Dual Shock 3 and 4 controllers, the ability to do PS4 Remote Play, the ability to add in any Android app not in the Fire TV store, and more. In short, it adds in functionality that you couldn't have otherwise. I'm not saying it will always be better, but right now it is most certainly the more capable and mature box in comparison to the Apple TV4. I'm not discounting the fact that Apple TV4 is less than a week old though; I'm just saying it's not up to par at the moment and we'll need to wait to see how it evolves.
And again you continue to revert back to listing things that people may not care about. I'm not sure why it's so hard for you accept that people may not care about the same things you do.

The Fire TV supports more streaming services, but I don't care for any of them outside of Prime Video (which I can Airplay). It supports music search, but not for Apple Music. It supports game controllers, when I have zero interest in gaming. It supports Youtube natively? Great, so does the Apple TV. (Not that I'd ever use it though when I'd rather Airplay.) It supports more services with voice search? Cool, but it doesn't search the most popular streaming service still.

I'm not discounting the Fire TV at all. I own two sticks and the gen 2 Fire TV. But regardless of its features, I still prefer the Apple TV to it. Why? Its easier and faster to navigate with the touchpad (especially scrubbing) and the UI looks much nicer to me. (Fire OS looks like Amazon trying to cram as much things as possible into a 10-foot interface.) It replaced the need to use my TV remote because HDMI CEC actually works and it can control my TV's volume. It has the best Plex client out of any device. Siri actually works with my two most used services, Netflix and HBO Go. Universal search also allows me to find specific movies, seasons, or episodes without me even entering the app themselves. I've stated before on Fire TV threads how awful the HBO app is. Now I don't have to deal with that with Apple TV's search interface.

Tobor

Jesus, all this talk about transcoding and Plex and Kodi, and XBMC, and mkv, and NAS, and whatever other edge case I left out has consumed the thread.

Am I the only one here who actually buys content in iTunes?

SuperPac

Jesus, all this talk about transcoding and Plex and Kodi, and XBMC, and mkv, and NAS, and whatever other edge case I left out has consumed the thread.

I buy iTunes content as well (movies and TV shows). So much so that it's made Plex more or less unusable to me in that it takes iTunes Extras content and labels it as a movie I don't actually own or keeps it as its filename and it just looks weird. I'm really hoping that Apple gives Home Sharing a better interface than it has currently, but sadly I'm not holding my breath on that.

I use Plex but I don't do half the stuff that is going on in this thread. I just use it for streaming content from my PC to my Chromecast and hopefully new Apple TV soon.

The only thing holding me back on an Apple TV is the lack of HDMI ports. I swear TVs started shipping with less HDMI ports. I already have one switch filled to capacity.

Maybe I will move my Wii U to the bedroom. Hmm.

Meh3D

I wouldn't think too much of it. People are excited for their new Apple TVs. They want to explore every possible way to enjoy or integrate their device into their setups. (In addition, why repurchase content you already own on DVD.'?)

You should of seen the posts in the PS3 launch thread years ago. Everything and anything was discussed to the point where you wondered if anyone was actually playing any games on it.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area

I actually buy most of my content on iTunes. The exceptions are:

A deal's a deal. BD or iTunes it doesn't matter

"Reference" works (Star Wars, Jaws, etc) I will buy on BD as it is the best quality. Funny/sadly enough I may even buy them on iTunes if I can get a good enough deal

Current TV shows. I mean not a ton. I usually try to limit myself to 2-3 seasons a year that aren't on Hulu.

Rentals are probably my biggest use of iTunes. In general I want to get away from owning (aka spending money on) so many movies. I am ashamed of my DVD collection (not sure where, but well over 500), and the first 3 years of my BD collection is only a little better. A digital locker doesn't clutter physical space... But if I rent a movie once, or even twice, in 2-5 years, I'm probably coming out ahead 2-12 dollars over those years. And if I like the movie, well then I know and waiting for it to go on sale I can still save in most cases $1-6 including the rental cost.

So yeah... Heh, Apple sees plenty of money from me. And to be "that guy", ALL of my Plex content was/is ripped by me from discs that I own. So either way, the studios got their cut as well. Actually what to do with those discs after they're ripped is something I'm already thinking about? Stored? Trash? Probably not trash but to get that physical space back.... Man....

LiK

if Blu-rays would stop giving me shitty Ultraviolet digital codes and gave me iTunes digital copies instead, I wouldn't be so into Plex.

ecurbj

if Blu-rays would stop giving me shitty Ultraviolet digital codes and gave me iTunes digital copies instead, I wouldn't be so into Plex.
Well that's the studios now drifting away from iTunes digital codes and more towards Ultraviolet. It's just something they, the studios prefer now.

Tobor

I actually buy most of my content on iTunes. The exceptions are:

A deal's a deal. BD or iTunes it doesn't matter

"Reference" works (Star Wars, Jaws, etc) I will buy on BD as it is the best quality. Funny/sadly enough I may even buy them on iTunes if I can get a good enough deal

Current TV shows. I mean not a ton. I usually try to limit myself to 2-3 seasons a year that aren't on Hulu.

Rentals are probably my biggest use of iTunes. In general I want to get away from owning (aka spending money on) so many movies. I am ashamed of my DVD collection (not sure where, but well over 500), and the first 3 years of my BD collection is only a little better. A digital locker doesn't clutter physical space... But if I rent a movie once, or even twice, in 2-5 years, I'm probably coming out ahead 2-12 dollars over those years. And if I like the movie, well then I know and waiting for it to go on sale I can still save in most cases $1-6 including the rental cost.

So yeah... Heh, Apple sees plenty of money from me. And to be "that guy", ALL of my Plex content was/is ripped by me from discs that I own. So either way, the studios got their cut as well. Actually what to do with those discs after they're ripped is something I'm already thinking about? Stored? Trash? Probably not trash but to get that physical space back.... Man....

I used to think this way, but ultimately, the deal isn't a deal as now I have a disc to worry about. I have maybe 20 or so Blurays, what you call "reference" films, and I'm good. I don't need anymore. The rest I've purchased on iTunes if I really feel the need to purchase. I'd rather pay more and not worry about discs or servers and transcoding. I also don't like having more than one digital collection, so I stick to iTunes. No Amazon.

Another reason I stopped buying Blurays.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

I'd almost rather rip a bluray than watch the UV digital copy because in the UK the options for playback are terrible - I don't think there is even an app that supports airplay.

But I don't buy movies on itunes for the simple reason of DRM. They aren't portable enough for my liking so I'll rip from disc until someone does like MP3 did, and makes movies DRM free. All DRM does is frustrate paying consumers.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I used to think this way, but ultimately, the deal isn't a deal as now I have a disc to worry about. I have maybe 20 or so Blurays, what you call "reference" films, and I'm good. I don't need anymore. The rest I've purchased on iTunes if I really feel the need to purchase. I'd rather pay more and not worry about discs or servers and transcoding. I also don't like having more than one digital collection, so I stick to iTunes. No Amazon.
yes, and the physical clutter is real and VERY painful... and admittedly I haven't bought a ton of blu-rays.. but especially with plex on apple tv now, I would buy a movie for $8 on blu-ray vs. $15 in itunes and just rip it to my PC..

but again... ~60-80 BDs.. and 154 (currently) iTunes purchases.. well... that is off.. maybe about 30 of those iTunes "purchases" are redeemed digital copies.. so actual "spent money purchases" are probably more like 60-80 BDs in 8 years vs. ~130 itunes purchases since I bought ATV3 in 2012. (for those saying "130 is cutting down!?!?!", note that a lot of those especially are in discounted bundles.. LOTR, Fast and Furious, Jurassic Park, Harry Potter, etc)

But I don't buy movies on itunes for the simple reason of DRM. They aren't portable enough for my liking so I'll rip from disc until someone does like MP3 did, and makes movies DRM free. All DRM does is frustrate paying consumers.

ha! People (usually non-apple owners) bitch about "being tied to the Apple ecosystem", but this is the huge benefit of being deeply immersed in it.. Where iTunes purchases are essentially as portable as MP3. They'll play on every device in my house currently (ipads, iphones, apple tv, Mac/PC, etc)

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I'm all Apple ecosystem in my home and the last place I'd buy something digitally is iTunes personally.
Really prefer Vudu for rentals (i rarely purchase) and I get lots of free or cheap UV codes and Disney codes that fill up the Vudu library.

Combine that with various streaming services and there is plenty to watch at any given time.

As with Apple content it allows me to watch on any of my devices with the best quality to boot.
And I can log into it at a family or friends place that doesn't use ATV.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Urge this keyboard is horrible. The friction and wobble between characters makes it tricky to move one at a time so I often overshoot. You can use the flick to get roughly where you want and then tap to focus down letter by letter, but you shouldn't need to.

What was the shortcut to change between upper and lowercase letters? My random lastpass passwords with lots of upper-lower characters were a nightmare to type in.

Also the HDMI control is frustrating. It is the only device I have that turns my amp and TV off when I sleep it, even if it wasn't the device that turned them on originally. My PS4 will shut down my TV and amp only if it turned them on. That means I'm forced to use the workaround posted somewhere where you manually change inouts and let the appleTV sleep on its own, which apparantly won't turn off the TV. But then I lose the HDMI switching back to the previous input when I've finished with the Apple TV which is really dumb. If I'm playing PS4 that isn't too bad as I can hit the PS button and it'll switch inputs. But mostly I'll want to switch back to Xbox for live TV and that doesn't have HDMI-CEC so won't auto switch.

Had a couple of crashes already too - one on plex where it just span the buffering/wait icon and did nothing, and one on now TV which crashed and made me enter my password again :/

Top Bottom