• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple TV |OT|

mrklaw

MrArseFace
ha! People (usually non-apple owners) bitch about "being tied to the Apple ecosystem", but this is the huge benefit of being deeply immersed in it.. Where iTunes purchases are essentially as portable as MP3. They'll play on every device in my house currently (ipads, iphones, apple tv, Mac/PC, etc)

I only recently bought an iPhone - had android or windows phone before (work supplied). If iTunes was a normal store they'd have an android app for playback. Anyway, for me buying discs and ripping is simple enough, and I'll migrate to digital purchases when they are more portable or prices drop

Raistlin

if Blu-rays would stop giving me shitty Ultraviolet digital codes and gave me iTunes digital copies instead, I wouldn't be so into Plex.
Maybe people should complain to Apple to get on board with UltraViolet support.

It's preferable for a larger population.

Maybe people should complain to Apple to get on board with UltraViolet support.

It's preferable for a larger population.

Does Apple TV not have an app for UltraViolet at least?

I have only used UltraViolet for one or two movies and I found it a frustrating experience.

LiK

I have only used UltraViolet for one or two movies and I found it a frustrating experience.

registering the codes can be insane depending on the movies. kept being told to go to a different site and sign up. what a drag. I wish they simply included a UV or iTunes code. I wanna stick with one ecosystem. I gave up on UV. gonna give away more codes in that other thread soon.

Not yet. Vudu, Flixster, CinemaNow, etc. are all able to make one if they wish.

I don't mind the UV process but it's a different site for each studio to redeem and you have to register sometimes just to redeem it. Sometimes it's a different website for the same studio but movie specific that redirects you to the studio site.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Not yet. Vudu, Flixster, CinemaNow, etc. are all able to make one if they wish.

I don't mind the UV process but it's a different site for each studio to redeem and you have to register sometimes just to redeem it. Sometimes it's a different website for the same studio but movie specific that redirects you to the studio site.

Yeah that stuff really needed to be centralised. Why you have to redeem at site A and then attach that to retailer/player site B I have no idea. Just have a UV account, redeem everything there, then they build a player app. Seems like they want to attach your digital content to other retailers that also sell movies I assume to hope for an up sell?

The Verge | The Apple TV changed my mind about gaming

Gaming snobs have already told me that what I’m playing aren’t "real games" because those require a "real console," meaning, a PS4, Xbox One; or better yet, a dedicated PC. That’s silly of course, and reminds me of a certain class of threatened Symbian and Windows Mobile users who laughed off the iPhone because it wasn’t a "real smartphone." A semantic argument that's ultimately meaningless. I can see that Apple TV gaming is different, but that doesn’t make the fun we’re having any less real or any less competitive. Just as the iPhone was announced as "an iPod, a phone, and an internet communicator," the Apple TV is more than a single device. It’s a gaming console, a media streamer, and a lean-back platform to run living room apps.

Polygon | Apple TV's best games show the device's potential — and the surprisingly good Siri remote

Apple didn't make a gaming console, though, and it made some decisions that confused gamers, like allowing but not bundling a controller with the system, which necessarily fractures the market. Having played hours worth of gamins on the new Apple TV, I'm somewhat surprised to repor that I'm OK with using the Siri remote in many instances. I vastly prefer the SteelSeries Nimbus in others. This is part of what makes the new Apple TV unique, and I hope that third-party controllers gain enough of a foothold on the device that developers continue to support it. The idea success story for the Apple TV is an ecosystem that supports both.

this_guy

ha! People (usually non-apple owners) bitch about "being tied to the Apple ecosystem", but this is the huge benefit of being deeply immersed in it.. Where iTunes purchases are essentially as portable as MP3. They'll play on every device in my house currently (ipads, iphones, apple tv, Mac/PC, etc)

I try to be platform agnostic so I'm not tied to a particular hardware manufacturer, but if you already have an iTunes library it definitely makes sense to stay with Apple.

I'm all Apple ecosystem in my home and the last place I'd buy something digitally is iTunes personally.
Really prefer Vudu for rentals (i rarely purchase) and I get lots of free or cheap UV codes and Disney codes that fill up the Vudu library.

Combine that with various streaming services and there is plenty to watch at any given time.

As with Apple content it allows me to watch on any of my devices with the best quality to boot.
And I can log into it at a family or friends place that doesn't use ATV.

My video library is also on Vudu. I get movie codes online and can watch my movies pretty much anywhere. Either way whether you're invested in Ultraviolet, iTunes, or Amazon it's not worth it for me to go back to physical media. I'll choose convenience over any difference in visual quality.

The cool thing is if Vudu does come they'll probably forego the purchase links and just show your library. Which is good for when my parents use my account. Less chance of buying the fast and the furious series by accident.

And again you continue to revert back to listing things that people may not care about. I'm not sure why it's so hard for you accept that people may not care about the same things you do.

The Fire TV supports more streaming services, but I don't care for any of them outside of Prime Video (which I can Airplay). It supports music search, but not for Apple Music. It supports game controllers, when I have zero interest in gaming. It supports Youtube natively? Great, so does the Apple TV. (Not that I'd ever use it though when I'd rather Airplay.) It supports more services with voice search? Cool, but it doesn't search the most popular streaming service still.

I'm not discounting the Fire TV at all. I own two sticks and the gen 2 Fire TV. But regardless of its features, I still prefer the Apple TV to it. Why? Its easier and faster to navigate with the touchpad (especially scrubbing) and the UI looks much nicer to me. (Fire OS looks like Amazon trying to cram as much things as possible into a 10-foot interface.) It replaced the need to use my TV remote because HDMI CEC actually works and it can control my TV's volume. It has the best Plex client out of any device. Siri actually works with my two most used services, Netflix and HBO Go. Universal search also allows me to find specific movies, seasons, or episodes without me even entering the app themselves. I've stated before on Fire TV threads how awful the HBO app is. Now I don't have to deal with that with Apple TV's search interface.

I'm not resorting to things I care about. These are some of the many things the box can do. I don't even utilize all of them. I find the criticism odd when just moments ago the talk was the praise of the potential that the Apple TV4 has because of the wide range of options available. The App Store gets highly praised because of it's diverse amount of apps that reach across multiple categories for multiple needs. Not everyone uses all them but as a whole the option to do so is what makes it powerful as well as shows its potential. But suddenly now when applying the capability, flexibility and potential that the Fire TV has, you shrug it off saying you don't care to use any of it. That's not the point. The point is the Fire TV currently is the more capable box. That doesn't mean the Apple TV4 doesn't do anything better than the Fire TV; it just means as a whole there's a lot more going for it at this point in time. Notice I keep using quantifiers about now, at this point in time, etc. I am under no disillusion that this could change and swing in Apple's favor, after all the box just came out. It's just not there yet now.

yes, and the physical clutter is real and VERY painful... and admittedly I haven't bought a ton of blu-rays.. but especially with plex on apple tv now, I would buy a movie for $8 on blu-ray vs. $15 in itunes and just rip it to my PC..

but again... ~60-80 BDs.. and 154 (currently) iTunes purchases.. well... that is off.. maybe about 30 of those iTunes "purchases" are redeemed digital copies.. so actual "spent money purchases" are probably more like 60-80 BDs in 8 years vs. ~130 itunes purchases since I bought ATV3 in 2012. (for those saying "130 is cutting down!?!?!", note that a lot of those especially are in discounted bundles.. LOTR, Fast and Furious, Jurassic Park, Harry Potter, etc)

Since you're ripping discs, couldn't you just put them on a spindle and put that spindle away? It would take up a minimal amount of space.

iTunes purchases aren't even close to being as portable as MP3 because you can only use them on Apple devices. I prefer platform agnostic services because who knows when things will shift. I'd rather keep things flexible. As other people say, Vudu can be used across multiple platforms and devices and has better quality and still has the general same benefits as an iTunes purchase except you can view it in more places.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
right, but a huge part of buying any technology is "here's where it sits now, but where will it sit in 6/12/24/etc months?"

You love your FireTV for everything it has now and what the future holds for it. I love my Apple TV because of what it does now and what the future holds for it holds. The only difference comes in how we see each of their strengths. FireTV is in what the device can do now. Apple TV is in where the device can go through significantly faster hardware and broader professional dev support.

iTunes purchases aren't even close to being as portable as MP3 because you can only use them on Apple devices. I prefer platform agnostic services because who knows when things will shift. I'd rather keep things flexible. As other people say, Vudu can be used across multiple platforms and devices and has better quality and still has the general same benefits as an iTunes purchase except you can view it in more places.

I'm guessing you completely missed the part where I said

They'll play on every device in my house currently
For me they ARE as portable as MP3 for that reason. as for "who knows when things will shift"... I'm not worried about it.. As Apple is basically the only company left that cares about high end mobile (and apparently high end STB as well), it is very clear I'll be in the Apple ecosystem for the foreseeable future. If another company starts making notable moves in the high end at some point, I'll reevaluate then.. A big first step in that however will need to happen at the CPU end, as there is no mobile ARM R&D at the super high end outside of Apple right now..

Guess Who

Banned
Having played hours worth of games on the new Apple TV, I'm somewhat surprised to report that I'm OK with using the Siri remote in many instances. I vastly prefer the SteelSeries Nimbus in others. This is part of what makes the new Apple TV unique, and I hope that third-party controllers gain enough of a foothold on the device that developers continue to support it. The ideal success story for the Apple TV is an ecosystem that supports both.

I mean, yeah, but decades of video game market experimentation have pretty well proven you can't sell a major accessory separately and see widespread support for it. Has it literally ever happened? Even the Kinect's "success" lasted like, a year at best. Certainly MFi controllers on iOS haven't taken off to any significant degree.

borghe

I mean, yeah, but decades of video game market experimentation have pretty well proven you can't sell a major accessory separately and see widespread support for it. Has it literally ever happened? Even the Kinect's "success" lasted like, a year at best. Certainly MFi controllers on iOS haven't taken off to any significant degree.

that I can think of.... once and only once.. the original DualShock. And even then that was more of a sidegrade than an actual honest to goodness accessory.

Not having a controller bundle is the kiss of death in it becoming standard on the platform. My guess is that sooner or later Apple will backtrack on this though.

edit - I stand corrected. Wii actually succeeded with the accessory market. The various real controllers sold extremely well and were very well supported across the platform. So yeah, Wii is the only system I can think of that actually featured accessory support prominently in a high percentage of games on the system (including first and third party)

HOWEVER, Wii also flat out REQUIRED nunchuk in many cases. So right from launch they conditioned buyers with "you may need an accessory to play this". Apple NEEDS to do the same for controller support to not languish in a half baked limbo.

Raistlin

To my knowledge, no. For the prior versions of Apple TV they didn't want any competition to iTunes. The best you could do was AirPlay the VUDU or Flixster app. Both of those apps are 'view only' however, and it's iffy whether either app will be made for Apple TV even with the new store.

It's the same problem Amazon is facing. The in-app purchase fee makes it untenable, and a view-only version just doesn't make sense on a device like this from a business standpoint.

registering the codes can be insane depending on the movies. kept being told to go to a different site and sign up. what a drag. I wish they simply included a UV or iTunes code. I wanna stick with one ecosystem. I gave up on UV. gonna give away more codes in that other thread soon.
Just use VUDU. There's nothing difficult about it, and they have the best A/V quality in the industry.

that I can think of.... once and only once.. the original DualShock. And even then that was more of a sidegrade than an actual honest to goodness accessory.

Not having a controller bundle is the kiss of death in it becoming standard on the platform. My guess is that sooner or later Apple will backtrack on this though.

edit - I stand corrected. Wii actually succeeded with the accessory market. The various real controllers sold extremely well and were very well supported across the platform. So yeah, Wii is the only system I can think of that actually featured accessory support prominently in a high percentage of games on the system (including first and third party)

If anyone could pull off selling a gaming accessory separately it would be Apple. They would just need to care about gaming enough to actually do it.

right, but a huge part of buying any technology is "here's where it sits now, but where will it sit in 6/12/24/etc months?"

You love your FireTV for everything it has now and what the future holds for it. I love my Apple TV because of what it does now and what the future holds for it holds. The only difference comes in how we see each of their strengths. FireTV is in what the device can do now. Apple TV is in where the device can go through significantly faster hardware and broader professional dev support.

Sure and when that potential is realized, I may switch. It's the reason I heavily follow this device because I'm still looking for a perfect box or at least a box that improves my current situation. The thing is, I didn't buy a Fire TV until some things were established and once those things were guaranteed, then it became compelling. So I can't recommend someone an Apple TV based on unrealized potential because that potential may never happen or things might not go in the direction one might think. Hell, I almost bought an Apple TV3 blindly because I loved the Apple TV2 so much but I would have been burned there had I did so based on assumed expected potential.

I have no strong ties to Amazon since the boxes were about $60 to $70 each. I'll drop them the second something is much more compelling. One of the problems though is they're still one of the few devices that streams Amazon content and Amazon has an exclusive on Viacom content which includes a lot of kids programming such as shows from Nickelodeon. So that's still a strong reason for me to want something that can stream Amazon content even though they aren't my main streaming source, Netflix is, and I don't buy digital content on Amazon. Amazon would be a non factor if they didn't have exclusive distribution contracts. I really hate how splintered this is going to be for the near future.

Guess Who

Banned

HOWEVER, Wii also flat out REQUIRED nunchuk in many cases. So right from launch they conditioned buyers with "you may need an accessory to play this". Apple NEEDS to do the same for controller support to not languish in a half baked limbo.

The Wii also came with a nunchuck, and pretty much any game that required an extra accessory came bundled with that accessory (like the Balance Board with Wii Fit, or the WM+ bundles available for Skyward Sword).

borghe

Sure and when that potential is realized, I may switch. It's the reason I heavily follow this device because I'm still looking for a perfect box or at least a box that improves my current situation. The thing is, I didn't buy a Fire TV until some things were established and once those things were guaranteed, then it became compelling. So I can't recommend someone an Apple TV based on unrealized potential because that potential may never happen or things might not go in the direction one might think. Hell, I almost bought an Apple TV3 blindly because I loved the Apple TV2 so much but I would have been burned there had I did so based on assumed expected potential.

I have no strong ties to Amazon since the boxes were about $60 to $70 each. I'll drop them the second something is much more compelling. One of the problems though is they're still one of the few devices that streams Amazon content and Amazon has an exclusive on Viacom content which includes a lot of kids programming such as shows from Nickelodeon. So that's still a strong reason for me to want something that can stream Amazon content even though they aren't my main streaming source, Netflix is, and I don't buy digital content on Amazon. Amazon would be a non factor if they didn't have exclusive distribution contracts. I really hate how splintered this is going to be for the near future.

I can agree with all of that.. and yeah, the splintering sucks.. I would almost think it would be in the studios' best interests to require companies vying for exclusive content to not "artificially limit" their service from any particular device (hilariously only limiting Amazon at the moment). I mean like you're saying.. Amazon has exclusive Viacom content.. it's in Viacom's best interest to be available to as many eyeballs as possible, something which Amazon is actively and intentionally inhibiting. Or if not require broad access, then charge accordingly for the exclusivity.

The Wii also came with a nunchuck, and pretty much any game that required an extra accessory came bundled with that accessory (like the Balance Board with Wii Fit, or the WM+ bundles available for Skyward Sword).
Launch Wii did not come with a nunchuk, Only one Wiimote.

edit - my bad.. I swear I don't remember it coming with one.. but wikipedia says it did.... ok, well aside from the nunchuk, controller (classic and pro) support was great on the console. Which is what I was originally referring to.

borghe

I had a launch Wii and am almost certain you're wrong on this, and pretty much every source I can find on Google backs me up.

yeah, I edited.. I actually know where my Wii box is.. I should look, but short of that I'll accept wikipedia saying so.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Just use VUDU. There's nothing difficult about it, and they have the best A/V quality in the industry.

If you're in the US. In the uk they don't have the app for some reason :( I don't think there are any UV comoatible apps in the uk that support AirPlay.

How are the games on this thing? Any stand outs? I've avoided the more expensive ones that might be trying to cash in on launch fever, but it's possible they are good. Would really like jackbox games on it.

holygeesus

Banned
Why do people come into Apple threads just to say they aren't buying Apple hardware? I don't get it.

Annnnyway, I've been trying out some more of these software decoders for non-native video playback, and already they are improving, and these are from guys just knocking out apps in a few hours. When a proper video app producing company, gets it together, I expect very good things. x265 playback is already supported via NAStify.

this_guy

Why do people come into Apple threads just to say they aren't buying Apple hardware? I don't get it.

There are people who want to learn more about the device to see if it fits their needs. Sometimes after learning about about said product they either buy or decide against it. Right now I'm not interested in buying one, but if it becomes a viable game machine and can stream from the services that I use then I'd certainly consider one in the future.

borghe

all apple stores in the area got the Nimbus... my impulse says "buy it!!!!!!" but my common sense says there isn't a ton out on the system right now, and Fallout 4 and Battlefront come out over the next two weeks (and I am still playing through AC Syndicate)

decisions, decisions.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
all apple stores in the area got the Nimbus... my impulse says "buy it!!!!!!" but my common sense says there isn't a ton out on the system right now, and Fallout 4 and Battlefront come out over the next two weeks (and I am still playing through AC Syndicate)

decisions, decisions.

Is there anything you can use it with on an iPad or iPhone? Can you switch sync between them quickly?

decisions, decisions.

I haven't really taken a look at the games besides what's on my purchased list, is there any reason someone who has an Xbox/PS4 should even be interested in paying for an Apple TV controller? So far everything looks like either blown up iOS games or watered down console games.

I haven't really taken a look at the games besides what's on my purchased list, is there any reason someone who has an Xbox/PS4 should even be interested in paying for an Apple TV controller? So far everything looks like either blown up iOS games or watered down console games.

An iOS/tvOS Frontend for multiple emulators, currently supporting Sega Genesis, Game Gear/Master System, Sega CD, SNES, NES, GB/GBC and GBA. http://jamesaddyman.com/provenance :)

Also, i ~mostly expect Apple TV to be casual / social games in keeping with mobile platform offerings, but they will be more feature filled (and cost more than 99c). However, the iOS gaming library is VERY healthy and you could be missing out on a lot by dismissing mobile devs moving to Apple TV.

borghe

I mean sure... but the bolded part is hardly a negative... plenty of "iOS games" that are either the same as their console counterparts (but most also being cross-buy with mobile to boot), or are in fact exclusive to the platform (or at least PC/iOS only.. no console release or delayed)

but really, you guys sold me on the Nimbus by reminding me about iPad compatibility.. specifically non-twitch games on iPad that I can mirror to Apple TV :p

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I mean sure... but the bolded part is hardly a negative... plenty of "iOS games" that are either the same as their console counterparts (but most also being cross-buy with mobile to boot), or are in fact exclusive to the platform (or at least PC/iOS only.. no console release or delayed)

Absolutely. There are plenty of games on iOS that are good but would be even better with a controller.

but really, you guys sold me on the Nimbus by reminding me about iPad compatibility.. specifically non-twitch games on iPad that I can mirror to Apple TV :p

Wait - this is a thing? Could you play something like Xcom on Apple TV like that?

borghe

Wait - this is a thing? Could you play something like Xcom on Apple TV like that?

yes, absolute worst case scenario that should be near 100% compatible is AirPlay Mirror. As others have pointed out, there IS latency (though rarely stuttering or performance issues on Air or higher).. but for games that don't require precise/twitch controls, it's a perfectly wonderful experience.

I'm a big fan of iOS games, it just seems like a waste to buy a controller for this if you already have another console.

Zaph

I'm hoping the AppleTV allows the general iOS/mobile gaming audience to become more comfortable with reasonably priced games ($4-$15) if they know they can also play it on their television; so we get out of this awful F2P race to the bottom many developers get lost in.

giga

I'm not resorting to things I care about. These are some of the many things the box can do. I don't even utilize all of them. I find the criticism odd when just moments ago the talk was the praise of the potential that the Apple TV4 has because of the wide range of options available. The App Store gets highly praised because of it's diverse amount of apps that reach across multiple categories for multiple needs. Not everyone uses all them but as a whole the option to do so is what makes it powerful as well as shows its potential. But suddenly now when applying the capability, flexibility and potential that the Fire TV has, you shrug it off saying you don't care to use any of it. That's not the point. The point is the Fire TV currently is the more capable box. That doesn't mean the Apple TV4 doesn't do anything better than the Fire TV; it just means as a whole there's a lot more going for it at this point in time. Notice I keep using quantifiers about now, at this point in time, etc. I am under no disillusion that this could change and swing in Apple's favor, after all the box just came out. It's just not there yet now.
My original response to your post was about why I preferred the Apple TV to the Fire TV. I haven't argued about capabilities and I'm not denying them. What I am saying though is that having a device that's more capable on paper does not translate to it being the better device for the multitude of reasons I've already stated. You stated that the Fire TV is the "better solution" and my reasons perfectly show how it's not as black and white as you paint. I don't think that's an unreasonable position to take.

My problem with digital libraries is still that at any moment, content providers can decide to stop offering the movie, at which point, you better hope you downloaded a backup, and that the DRM doesn't limit how long you can play back the movie after download.

Also, the DRM is just disgusting in the first place.

My original response to your post was about why I preferred the Apple TV to the Fire TV. I haven't argued about capabilities and I'm not denying them. What I am saying though is that having a device that's more capable on paper does not translate to it being the better device for the multitude of reasons I've already stated. You stated that the Fire TV is the "better solution" and my reasons perfectly show how it's not as black and white as you paint. I don't think that's an unreasonable position to take.

Your responses are weird because you kept telling me not to put my personal tastes and preferences only to dispute it with your own personal tastes and preferences. You also did argue about capabilities by talking about who has what voice search, not caring about this feature, etc. That's discussing and dismissing capabilities because you feel they don't apply to you. That was never really the core discussion though.

It started out with a claim that the ATV4 looks like it could end up being the "perfect" box and I dispute that there are a lot of holes right now in the ATV4 that the Fire TV does cover that I think prevents it from taking that crown now or anytime soon. I wasn't talking about my tastes; I was talking about in general with the maturity of the platform and the capabilities it has. At all times I acknowledged that the ATV4 was young and that could change over time but to have that proclamation was premature. The ATV4 lacks plenty of streaming services right now, which may or may not come. We don't know yet, and we can't assume they will. Yet many of those services are available on the Fire TV one way or another.

I also said there is no perfect box which automatically implies that every box has strengths and weaknesses which of course is going to fit someone's needs more than someone else's. Clearly that means it's not a black and white situation. All I said is right now I believe that the Fire TV is a more mature platform that has more functionality, more streaming music and video services, more flexibility and overall provides more as a box today, thus it's too early to say that the ATV4 is the way to go in general. Someone who is embedded in the Apple ecosystem is going to find more benefit than someone who is looking for a HTPC which again is a given and not once did I dispute that either, but for someone looking at a media box, right now the Roku and Fire TV are a step ahead because they're both more mature platforms and if someone was looking for a streaming box to buy right now, I'd have to point either of those two out before an ATV4. I hardly think that's an unreasonable recommendation because potential is just vaporware until it actually happens; just like Netflix working with Amazon's universal search despite hard claims from Amazon and Reed Hastings saying it was going to happen shortly.

Vyer

giga got himself caught in a Chinnception

time moves slower the more levels down you are trapped

I'm all Apple ecosystem in my home and the last place I'd buy something digitally is iTunes personally.
Really prefer Vudu for rentals (i rarely purchase) and I get lots of free or cheap UV codes and Disney codes that fill up the Vudu library.

Combine that with various streaming services and there is plenty to watch at any given time.

As with Apple content it allows me to watch on any of my devices with the best quality to boot.
And I can log into it at a family or friends place that doesn't use ATV.

Where do you tend to buy your codes? Been thinking of doing the same.

Got my ATV4 today and its pretty solid so far but man using the touchpad is going to take some getting use to. Typing suck ass. Why doesn't the remote app on iOS work with this anymore? Having to manually setup my username and passwords for Netflix, Plex, Hulu, and a ton of other apps is a gigantic pain.

Also really glad that it still has an IR port and its compatible with my old ass Harmony 550 remote.

giga

Your responses are weird because you kept telling me not to put my personal tastes and preferences only to dispute it with your own personal tastes and preferences. You also did argue about capabilities by talking about who has what voice search, not caring about this feature, etc. That's discussing and dismissing capabilities because you feel they don't apply to you. That was never really the core discussion though.

It started out with a claim that the ATV4 looks like it could end up being the "perfect" box and I dispute that there are a lot of holes right now in the ATV4 that the Fire TV does cover that I think prevents it from taking that crown now or anytime soon. I wasn't talking about my tastes; I was talking about in general with the maturity of the platform and the capabilities it has. At all times I acknowledged that the ATV4 was young and that could change over time but to have that proclamation was premature. The ATV4 lacks plenty of streaming services right now, which may or may not come. We don't know yet, and we can't assume they will. Yet many of those services are available on the Fire TV one way or another.

I also said there is no perfect box which automatically implies that every box has strengths and weaknesses which of course is going to fit someone's needs more than someone else's. Clearly that means it's not a black and white situation. All I said is right now I believe that the Fire TV is a more mature platform that has more functionality, more streaming music and video services, more flexibility and overall provides more as a box today, thus it's too early to say that the ATV4 is the way to go in general. Someone who is embedded in the Apple ecosystem is going to find more benefit than someone who is looking for a HTPC which again is a given and not once did I dispute that either, but for someone looking at a media box, right now the Roku and Fire TV are a step ahead because they're both more mature platforms and if someone was looking for a streaming box to buy right now, I'd have to point either of those two out before an ATV4. I hardly think that's an unreasonable recommendation because potential is just vaporware until it actually happens; just like Netflix working with Amazon's universal search despite hard claims from Amazon and Reed Hastings saying it was going to happen shortly.
Haha I am not going to go through these mental gymnastics with you bruh. As much as you try to explain what sort of extremely specific argument you were making, it doesn't matter because it will never align to mine for whatever other specific reason that you either misinterpret or try to contrive into something I never tried pushing. Enjoy your Fire TV -- it doesn't matter to me because I have no beef with people enjoying their devices. 😘

giga got himself caught in a Chinnception

time moves slower the more levels down you are trapped

Where do you tend to buy your codes? Been thinking of doing the same.
It's so easy to. Don't worry though, I just voice searched some Mad Men on Netflix to get back to reality.

Top Bottom