• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Vision Pro VR will start at $3499.

Amory

I do want to see what kind of financing deal Goldman Sachs puts together for all the kids and their titanium apple credit cards

Zero percent financing for 3 months or something, then 27% for the rest of time

E-Cat

Chris Pratt What GIF
lol

What I meant was, yeah, I suppose you could say "look at how much cheaper the PSVR2 is in comparison to Vision Pro, doesn't seem so bad anymore"; but that still doesn't really change the equation of how you would approach evaluating the PSVR2 on its own merits. I wouldn't be more likely to buy an NFT for $500 because someone just dropped a $1,000,000 NFT and think that the $500 NFT is suddenly a bargain.

Last edited:

Shh

People keep talking about the price as if Apple is going for the casual market which they clearly aren't.

This wasn't made to compete with the Quest or PS VR2 lol
Their commercial for the product is literally people in their homes snacking on popcorn while hopping on their couch and watching a movie and video chatting with their family while folding laundry. So yes, the casual market is something they are targeting.

The Fartist

Gold Member
lol

What I meant was, yeah, I suppose you could say "look at how much cheaper the PSVR2 is in comparison to Vision Pro, doesn't seem so bad anymore"; but that still doesn't really change the equation of how you would approach evaluating the PSVR2 on its own merits. I wouldn't be more likely to buy an NFT for $500 because someone just dropped a $1,000,000 NFT and think that the $500 NFT is suddenly a bargain.
I see what you're saying now.

dorkimoe

I do want to see what kind of financing deal Goldman Sachs puts together for all the kids and their titanium apple credit cards

Zero percent financing for 3 months or something, then 27% for the rest of time
they do 0% on iphones and then you just pay monthly. Theyll do 0% on this as well for as long as it takes. it wont be 3 months

One thing that's not hyperbole is that this creates a ceiling for new headset announcements going forward.

Even with the strange presentation and $3499 +$100 Zeiss lens reportedly if you wearglasses, all of the excitement and interest in the Quest 3 dissipated immediately.

Who's left that's not vaporware? Walmart, Valve, and Samsung? How are any of these guys going to release a device that has half the advancements or display tech shown? Apple also has integrated VisionOS to work with every apple product and several product partners who are 3rd party allowing you to interact seamlessly across multiple devices and software.

If any of those three want to have a chance they need to release this year since Apple Vision is delayed until unspecified date early 2024.

Mahavastu

Early adopters and Apple geeks, paving the way for gen-2. And so it goes...
and they will release a new version every year, and some nerds will buy it every year, because it is a little bit better then the one from the previous year.

Their commercial for the product is literally people in their homes snacking on popcorn while hopping on their couch and watching a movie and video chatting with their family while folding laundry. So yes, the casual market is something they are targeting.
That was nothing but a tech demo to get devs on broad to support them as they build the mainstream headset down the line.

Apple isn't that stupid to think regular people will drop that kind of money on a toy. They aren't targeting the casual market at that price point with this model.

Last edited:

Shh

Skip to 1:02 - the analyst confirms exactly what I said. This is bait to get devs on broad to help them build a more mainstream headset. This model isn't targeting the casual market.
Obviously. That doesn't mean they're not targeting the casual market.

Skip to 1:02 - the analyst confirms exactly what I said. This is bait to get devs on broad to help them build a more mainstream headset. This model isn't targeting the casual market.
That didn't stop Apple from marketing it to casuals anyway. How many professionals want to sit in a hotel room to pull up a picture of their high school graduation 30 years ago in a 3D photo?

Apple wants to see if it can grab both devs and tempt consumers at once. That $3499 will hinder that some.

Last edited:
The more I see and read, the more this seems like such a missed opportunity. Putting the price aside, the hardware is great, but there would be so many more use-cases had they integrated the M2 into the battery pack instead of the headset.
How?
Not about being affordable, it's the most expensive gimmick in the market.
Actually Holo Lens 2 max and that new Magic Jump are around the same price or cost more iirc but were only for companies. This will be the first unaffordable handset that a consumer can buy easily and try out in store.

Dr. Claus

Banned
*not targeting casual*

YC8o4kv.jpg

Big Mouth Lol GIF by MOODMAN

Yea, singles and couples in massive houses or having to fly consistently? Totally a casual market demographic! /s

Also not sure what you are laughing at. This isn't a gaming VR headset. It literally was not designed to compete with PSVR or Quest. It is designed to compete with the likes of HoloLens and other similar headsets while pushing the AR market.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

Good video from MKBHD

TL;DR

User experience is great, very clear displays, "magical" in many ways
BUT
Very expensive and pretty heavy

I went back and watched some videos of people doing productivity stuff with the Quest Pro and, in comparison, it seems like the Vision Pro is the only device so far that would be viable in terms of clarity, low-latency, and ease of use.

I think this is the most important thing. Does it actually fucking work the way it should?! If yes then it's just a matter of making it more efficient and lighter. I think they're onto something.

Problem with something like Quest 2 or 3 or Pro is that you spend all that money and then it doesn't really do what you need it to do. All great saying "oh yeah virtual desktop windows" but then it's too blurry and unresponsive. The Vision Pro (at least based on a few outlets' hands on impressions) actually works.

Obviously at the $3500 it's out of reach for most people but if Apple can get developers to make awesome stuff for it (or at least adapt their existing apps to take advantage of the Vision Pro's feature set) then they're on the path to victory.

Kinda reminds me of back when I bought my first Macbook Air. I thought it was a rip off for what the specs were (relative to what you could get with Windows laptops) but then I thought "wait, it's thin, light, portable, actually has a battery life long enough that I can take it out and about with me, and still does what I need to do just fine....maybe it's worth the money after all?".

If you think about it, Apple has been doing thin, light, and whisper quiet laptops (with long battery life) for what... 15 years now, right?

OG Macbook Air gave you about 5 hours battery when other thin and light laptops at the time would give you 2 hours if you're lucky.

So yeah... I think Apple will do well with this (not that I'm buying it for $3500, they can fuck right off)

Everything you said here is perfect. But you forgot the 2 hour max battery life on this.

simpatico

Gold Member
It's a luxurious beta test. The tech sounds amazing to me. Eye tracking like that is probably the future of video games. I'm excited to see where this goes. Blows other VR completely away. I'm long on Apple VR after reading impressions. This model will do it's job and in three years I expect a mass market price and product.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
It's a luxurious beta test. The tech sounds amazing to me. Eye tracking like that is probably the future of video games. I'm excited to see where this goes. Blows other VR completely away. I'm long on Apple VR after reading impressions. This model will do it's job and in three years I expect a mass market price and product.

When the non-pro releases at iPhone price range it’s almost game over for 95% of headset manufacturers

“This was a quick-cut reel of a bunch of scenes: a bear in the wild, children playing soccer, a basketball game, an exotic city, a daredevil on a tightrope between two mountains. It was a great showcase of the power of immersive video. Again, I’ve seen this sort of stuff plenty of times over the years, but between the quality of the capture and the fact that this content library is going to be built into Apple TV, there’s a real possibility that this kind of content actually gets viewed, shared, with ease. Unlike most other approaches we’ve seen to date which have relied on third-party apps or poorly constructed content libraries that nobody knows how to find

That’s pretty much why. Apple will trounce in UX and content. With budgets that some vendor would only dream to have.

I also think it’s smart for first generation to go back to basics : eye tracking and hand tracking UX. You have to nail those from the get go as the baseline for mass adoption. A controller is comparatively child’s play to implement if games require it. I still think some devs will surprise with complex game controls with just eyes/hands.

Justin9mm

People keep talking about the price as if Apple is going for the casual market which they clearly aren't.

This wasn't made to compete with the Quest or PS VR2 lol
The tech and quality is above Quest and PSVR2.. This is not really competing with those. It's competing with the VR/AR space in general. This is not marketed specifically for gaming. This is marketed for people who want to watch movies, use the headset instead of their phone to browse and do other interactive things etc. The Quest and PSVR2 is not really geared towards that. They are bringing something that will be the future of how we use technology. It's the 1st Iteration of something evolutionary that most headsets do not offer, of course it's going to be expensive. Just like OLEDs when they were $10,000+. This type of tech will get better and Apple are the right company to do it because they have brand recognition in the tech market and their consumers are all types of people not just gamers. Give it time and you will see this tech get better, cheaper and more mainstream.

You look at the history of technology and literally everything new that was an evolution was too expensive.

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
When the non-pro releases at iPhone price range it’s almost game over for 95% of headset manufacturers

“This was a quick-cut reel of a bunch of scenes: a bear in the wild, children playing soccer, a basketball game, an exotic city, a daredevil on a tightrope between two mountains. It was a great showcase of the power of immersive video. Again, I’ve seen this sort of stuff plenty of times over the years, but between the quality of the capture and the fact that this content library is going to be built into Apple TV, there’s a real possibility that this kind of content actually gets viewed, shared, with ease. Unlike most other approaches we’ve seen to date which have relied on third-party apps or poorly constructed content libraries that nobody knows how to find

That’s pretty much why. Apple will trounce in UX and content. With budgets that some vendor would only dream to have.

I also think it’s smart for first generation to go back to basics : eye tracking and hand tracking UX. You have to nail those from the get go as the baseline for mass adoption. A controller is comparatively child’s play to implement if games require it. I still think some devs will surprise with complex game controls with just eyes/hands.
I was dead wrong with the Nintendo Switch back in like 2015/2016 (I said it would be a total failure) and this time I'm trying to go with the opposite of "what would supernova8 instantly think?"

I'm with you in terms of thinking Apple is going to demolish everyone else. Not sure what Meta is going to do, but I'm guessing Apple will be in the driving seat (ie they get to set the direction and Meta has to either follow or bow out).

Considering that this is basically Meta and Apple competing directly with each other, I reckon we're going to see some amazing tech advances very soon. Fuckin love these tech arms races between big corps, that's when the consumer wins!

PSYGN

I was dead wrong with the Nintendo Switch back in like 2015/2016 (I said it would be a total failure) and this time I'm trying to go with the opposite of "what would supernova8 instantly think?"

I'm with you in terms of thinking Apple is going to demolish everyone else. Not sure what Meta is going to do, but I'm guessing Apple will be in the driving seat (ie they get to set the direction and Meta has to either follow or bow out).

Considering that this is basically Meta and Apple competing directly with each other, I reckon we're going to see some amazing tech advances very soon. Fuckin love these tech arms races between big corps, that's when the consumer wins!

Nah, go with your intuition this time. Switch is affordable in the grand scheme of consumer electronics. Unless they have some kind of way to pay it in installments, most people aren't going to get it. $3.5k is in the price range of what people would have to consider as a necessity for most people, and this isn't a necessity... for most people. Tech bros and influencers with cash out the ass will probably get it, everyone else will just oggle until they become more affordable.

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
Nah, go with your intuition this time. Switch is affordable in the grand scheme of consumer electronics. Unless they have some kind of way to pay it in installments, most people aren't going to get it. $3.5k is in the price range of what people would have to consider as a necessity for most people, and this isn't a necessity... for most people. Tech bros and influencers with cash out the ass will probably get it, everyone else will just oggle until they become more affordable.
Yeah I'm not saying the Vision Pro in its current form will sell gangbusters, rather that Apple will probably win the VR/AR race.

Besides, I could see Apple offering this on finance. Apple is not that far off becoming a bank anyway, they could very easily collaborate with someone else (just like they're doing with the Apple card and the Apple savings account).

CGNoire

The whole point of Vision OS is that your entire range of vision is a desktop. You can move windows around, run apps, etc. You don't need a laptop, although you can integrate with it. No mouse and keyboard, it is all gestures and eye tracking.
Why is that better?

Raonak

Banned
Vision will be that expensive toy that ends up collecting dust.

It's only use case is watching flat content on floating monitors, except it's more cumbersome than tvs/computers/phones.

Last edited:

The Fartist

Gold Member
Apple is serious...

That's great that they got it to run, but it's running at 900p with an average 13fps, is this supposed to be a joke tweet?

Edit: Just read the "running on Ultra" part, if that's trully running at ultra with RT, then that is pretty impressive, it would mean that you could potentially run it at 1080/1440 at mid-high settings with RT @ 45-60fps+.

Edit: Just saw that RT is off, so probably just 1080 mid settings @45-60fps at best. Not too shabby, for a Metal port, I guess.

Last edited:
Like all Cypriots are used to saying, "Eshi kouspon". Which roughly translates to, "No Fucking Way, you're getting that much". What's funny is that the rumours of them using a revolutionary new microLED technology in their panels was just flat out wrong. They're using microOLED panels like Sony is using in the Psvr2. They're just tuned by Apple like usual and are 4k in each eye for a combined resolution and pixel count of 8k and 32 million pixels respectively. It's an AR device in a VR body.

Don't get me wrong. The LiDAR tech and OpticID sensor for sucurity are pretty cool. But apart from that, it's just a boring looking AR headset, with a design that looks like Apple designed In a hurry(like those diving goggles people put on when scuba diving), it looks so un-Apple to be honest. I laughed when Apple said that people can see your eyes when you're wearing them(lol).

People won't be seeing your eyes, there are two non translucent oled displays in there after all. All people will be seeing would be a digital representation of how your eyes look like. There is an array of infrared sensors and cameras in the headset after all. And that price, with that Apple prestige tax. Sweet baby Jesus.

P.s. Don't forget there's a fan in there too.

Last edited:
That's great that they got it to run, but it's running at 900p with an average 13fps, is this supposed to be a joke tweet?

Edit: Just read the "running on Ultra" part, if that's trully running at ultra with RT, then that is pretty impressive, it would mean that you could potentially run it at 1080/1440 at mid-high settings with RT @ 45-60fps+.

Edit: Just saw that RT is off, so probably just 1080 mid settings @45-60fps at best. Not too shabby, for a Metal port, I guess.
Nope, no RT. There's a portion where he shows the settings it's running at. RT is switched off.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
A day later and this price is still pretty gasp-inducing. I expected north of $1000, maybe even $1800 or $2000 base price with configurations well into the twos. $3500 makes this accessible to three audiences:

1) the youtube/internet tech crowd who will get them for free
2) true apple fanatics who will be there a week early to camp out in front of stores and dump 2 paychecks on it
3) rich people / rich people's kids

None of these groups are remotely mainstream. What's more, the mainstream doesn't even have access to these groups in day to day life. I remember before I had a smartphone, seeing people at school and on the bus using their iPhones and knowing I wanted one. With this thing, I question how much I actually want it, I won't know anyone who owns one, and even when I see it in public, it's not like I can experience what the user is seeing. It's easier to just ignore.

VR/AR has had enough trouble getting traction as it is even in the $500 range. This seems like a miss, but what do I know.

Not only are those groups small, in addition a very large percentage have zero interest in vr.

UnNamed

Banned
This device can't be cheap.

It's like a wearable MacBook Pro/Air with M2, with the microoled screen, plus airpods, plus R&D for tech and UI for a new product which is not the same as make another macbook, plus the Lidar, plus another CPU, plus the rumored glasses R&D you're already paying, plus the R&D for the Apple Car because why not.
Maybe the right price is not 3.5k but nothing less than 2.5k $.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
The tech and quality is above Quest and PSVR2.. This is not really competing with those. It's competing with the VR/AR space in general. This is not marketed specifically for gaming. This is marketed for people who want to watch movies, use the headset instead of their phone to browse and do other interactive things etc. The Quest and PSVR2 is not really geared towards that. They are bringing something that will be the future of how we use technology. It's the 1st Iteration of something evolutionary that most headsets do not offer, of course it's going to be expensive. Just like OLEDs when they were $10,000+. This type of tech will get better and Apple are the right company to do it because they have brand recognition in the tech market and their consumers are all types of people not just gamers. Give it time and you will see this tech get better, cheaper and more mainstream.

You look at the history of technology and literally everything new that was an evolution was too expensive.

True to a point, but many advances started out at reasonable prices, even apples own beloved iPhone was $599. Ipad was $499. Considering the actual tech inside, it's not "we're moving it forward and parts are expensive" play, it's clearly more of a let's make money play. Watch someone build something very similar for $1500 (without the silly front facing screen) from a competitor by the time it actually launches or close to it.

You can bet meta could stuff eye tracking, dual 4k oleds and dual next gen Qualcomm chips in for that much without issue for Quest pro 2.

Last edited:
Don't all the self-contained headsets have a fan?
Pretty much. But don't forget that Apple wants people to wear these while out and about. Imagine having a fan buzzing in your ears while on the move with these on. If that's not an annoyance, I don't know what is.

Top Bottom