• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT| A Max Landis Production

As someone who doesn't really watch much other wrestling besides matches here and there and have to listen to "you people" overhype every new hot indie darling(Styles, Devitt. Owens, Sami, Dean, Bryan, etc etc etc etc) None of them debuted and then instantly lived up to and surpassed that hype like Nakamura has, didn't know much about him but goddamn from what I saw tonight that man is a complete 100% star.

If Vince and his goons find some way to ruin him on the main roster.......... they did it to Punk and Nexus......all I can do is hope

Charisma can go a long way. You can teach a wrestler to be technical (bryan, devitt, styles) and how to work the crowd/mic (Owens, Dean) but you can't teach someone to ooze like that.

Meltzer on WOR just said there's rumors of A FORTY-FIVE FOOT DROP in the HIAC match.

I mean... its obvious the entire match is just a excuse to have Shane fall off something tall again.

I was kind of expecting them to pull out the old HIAC because doing a roof spot off the new cell seems insane.

Plus I am not sure Undertaker could even climb it.

Just watched the Nakamura entrance and it was really damn good. I worry how well it will do on the larger stage because they're all about lighting it up brighter than the sun

yeah that's where i think his entrance will lack the impact.

he'll still have crazy in-ring charisma though. dude MURKED his wwe debut. likely the match of the weekend.

orioto

Good Art™
CfA8ZJuUUAAY_hE.jpg

Gable is safe for now

Shit that's basically Kurt Angle with a wig

It's amazing how everything has worked out, like seeing that one picture that has Funaki and all of the International stars(Asuka, Hideo, Shinsuke). Funaki is great, who'd ever think he would be such a big deal as he is now? A guy who was brought in then made into a joke, we're now 20 years later and he's helping them build an empire of stars we never thought would ever step foot in a WWE related ring. And to make it all better, there's no stereotyping with the characters either. What's the chances we get Bull Nakano for the HoF next year? Now that would reek of awesomeness.

In college majority of our Asian population only communicated amongst each other and kept to themselves. So I always wondered why and some day it would piss me off but seeing them together has made me understand why now. Even though us blacks and whites can be together so much easier because we share more thinga in common, you have them who are usually still fresh and shy. If you've known something your entire life(being foreign), it's going to be hard to break out of itzit explains why many are shy.

There was one girl in my public speaking class, she was a transfer student from Japan. She was quiet and speaking for her in front of the class wasn't her best thing because English is her second language but she always managed to do her best. She loves Mickey Mouse and that's what she wants to do, work for Disney. But I'll never forget when she told me she enjoyed listening to me give me presentations because I'm never scared and they're entertaining. She broke out of her shell and when I'd see her around campus, she waved or smiled as well.

Wwe is doing what they should've done a long time ago but I'm glad they have finally got it right. But all in all Funaki does a great job getting them together and making them feel welcomed because I'm sure he too remembered that feeling.

Edit: I found the picture.

Ce2QcJMUIAAfw3p.jpg

I just realized thats Big Daddy Cool 2.0 Lance Hoyt.

i was in that class, your presentations sucked ass bluekaveli....

yeah i've noticed the same thing with asian transfer students on my campus too. very insulated because they don't have much in common with the other students aside from their group

i was in that class, your presentations sucked ass bluekaveli....
YOU LEFT BEFORE MY PRESENTATION DAMNIT. YOU AND YOUR BUNCH OF FUCKING FRAT BROTHERS DECIDED THAT WATCHING THE PIRATES PLAY WAS BETTER THAN MY TIME. YOU ALL ALWAYS WONDERED WHY I RECEIVED THE HIGHEST MARKS BUT DIDN'T WANT TO DO THE WORK. BROTHER, I WAS TEACHING YOU ALL AND GIVING YOU THE FORMULA BUT YOU WALKED OUT. YOU DON'T WANT IT AND YOU NEVER WILL, IT'S GUYS LIKE YOU WHO PISS ME OFF AND MAKE ME SICK.

It's easier to gravitate to what you know. Being a communications student made me see the world for what it's worth. And Theatre allowed me to make it mine!

https://youtube.com/watch?v=FStT_VIdW0c

At the time I never paid attention to this but damn. It all makes sense now.

Ric Flair must've watched The Untouchables before doing this.

Kurita

My brothers, I've seen the light. NXT TakeOver Dallas is the first NXT show I've ever seen in my life and I can't believe how much I enjoyed this. I basically didn't know 90% of the wrestlers and yet I was on the edge of my seat the whole time (well almost).

-American Alpha vs The Revival
THIS IS HOW YOU DO TAG TEAM MATCHES WWE. So many little moments, diversions, tag moves that made the match a ton of fun. It genuinely felt like a 2 vs 2 match all the time and not just separate 1 vs 1 matches. Great opener.

-Austin Aries vs. Baron Corbin
Honestly? Didn't really care for it. Only match where I was mostly checking my phone.

-Bayley vs Asuka
The minute I saw Asuka I became a fan. She's the total package : damn good entrance, sexy as hell, charisma, she looks cool af and literally murdered Bayley. I LOVE ASUKA. Hope she'll be champion for a long time.

-Nakamura vs Zayn
Well, that was really different. Nakamura is unique in the ring and with Zayn they definitely managed to do a match you don't see in WWE. It was exhausting to watch in a good way, you could feel the pain. Both men looked strong, losing didn't make Zayn seem weak at all. Can't wait to see what Nakamura will do and RIP Zayn in the main roster.

-Finn Bálor vs. Samoa Joe
Samoa Joe looked like a million bucks. The bleeding turned him into a real beast and I kinda wished he win cause it was like watching a killing machine. Finn has a good style and I'm not that upset that he won cause it still felt like he went through hell. Next match between the two (if there's one) should end with Joe winning.

So yeah, shit was glorious. I am now going to watch NXT religiously.

JavyOO7

Revival and AA should fight forever too. Both teams have great chemistry with each other. Really apparent in the Miami house show and like so in Takeover Dallas last night. Hopefully the rematch is best 2 out of 3.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Man, I wanna rewatch that Nakamura/Zayn match.

NXT got me super hyped for Wrestlemania now. Can't wait for that disappointment

Time Machine has fucked up. It took me to WM 22.

Anyone remember why HBK and McMahon started feuding? I can't remember to save my life.

Zach

Dash and Dawson got 1993 WCW all over them baby

they are Clash of Champions guys.

Alright, settle down now. Bald guy (did you guys hear and hate the "which one's Dash? Which one's Dawson?" chants?) still has a terrible, bottom-of-the-barrel look.

Asuka is great.

I'm so glad she won. And I have to say I took a perverse amount of pleasure seeing her choke out Bayley and then walk out of the ring without shaking hands.

Takeover is very well done.

Agreed, Brother Safety.

Zach

You could make that argument for just about anyone on NXT.
If they have talent, they mean something on that roster.
Whereas everyone on the main roster is chopped liver unless they're Cena or Reigns.
And if they're NOT chopped liver, Stephanie has to emasculate them publically and slap them until they ARE chopped liver.
Was Stephanie getting booed out of the building on TV last night?

Zombine

Banned
Sitting there with buddies watching Swagsuke do his thing was incredible. Best match of the night. Samoa Joe too holy shit.

Zach

Corbin's strikes are definitely starting to look better. There was a couple strikes in that match I'd dare say looked Scott Hall-esque

You really have lost it, Data.

No, that's not fair. I see where you're coming from actually. But it looks like he's going for Scott Hall-esque, but I doubt the comparison will ever do him any favors. I can't imagine him ever having a better workin' punch than Hall, so it'll just be seen as a poor man's Scott Hall punch, and that's no good.

Or maybe it's fine. I don't know. I'm half asleep.

Hey, was Hall on the show last night? I saw him down in the crowd. Who else was down there? JR and maybe Hideo? X-Pac? Others?

Which is why I think Enzo and Cass are going to do way better than Sami, Bailey, Asuka, Emma pt2, Crews, etc.
Some of you are still misspelling Bayley's name and it's disgusting and, at this juncture, unforgivabllllle.

Zach

The only thing I thought was weird was the ending to the Asuka match. I guess it felt anti-climactic.

I thought it was surprising and great. Not every match needs to end with a flashy ending sequence.

I still remember Kofi basically had to fight Vince to keep his job.

A bizarro fucking world where NOT engaging in fisticuffs with your boss means you lose your job.

Tell me more about this Kofi incident...

Zach

Charisma can go a long way. You can teach a wrestler to be technical (bryan, devitt, styles) and how to work the crowd/mic (Owens, Dean) but you can't teach someone to ooze like that.

Sick, dude.

I mean... its obvious the entire match is just a excuse to have Shane fall off something tall again.

I was kind of expecting them to pull out the old HIAC because doing a roof spot off the new cell seems insane.

Plus I am not sure Undertaker could even climb it.

Maybe Shane will climb the cage and taunt the Undertaker from up top, only for Taker to shake the side and send Shane crashing through this or that.

Time Machine has fucked up. It took me to WM 22.

Anyone remember why HBK and McMahon started feuding? I can't remember to save my life.

All I remember is Shawn coming out to cut some promo in like December 2005/Jan 2006 and Vince also comes out and he's all "don't make me Bret Hart you brah" because reasons.
Then they have heat, HBK got screwed in the rumble and given the Montreal finale on Saturday's Nights main event against Shane.

...and then the next month they brought God and religion into the feud, it was certainly a thing that happened.
Still more logical than the time Shawn lost all his money and had to work for JBL mind you.

Lol this Randy Orton. Bullied Mene Gene and Gene just walked away saying something about his father.

Sherri coming out with Ted. Two great managers.

Silent_Z

Hey, was Hall on the show last night? I saw him down in the crowd. Who else was down there? JR and maybe Hideo? X-Pac? Others?

Featured on camera: Hall, X-Pac, Bobby Roode, Kota Ibushi, JR. Ibushi and Roode got talked up by commentary so we can pretty safely assume they're inbound.

All I remember is Shawn coming out to cut some promo in like December 2005/Jan 2006 and Vince also comes out and he's all "don't make me Bret Hart you brah" because reasons.
Then they have heat, HBK got screwed in the rumble and given the Montreal finale on Saturday's Nights main event against Shane.

...and then the next month they brought God and religion into the feud, it was certainly a thing that happened.
Still more logical than the time Shawn lost all his money and had to work for JBL mind you.
I just saw it, it all started with HBK telling Vince to grow up then the rest of it.

Is the WM stadium this year open roof or closed?
Both

Holy shit at this hof class.

Bret, Gene, Sherri, Atlas, Verne, The Fridge, The Blackjacks, and Eddie Guerrero. Damn.

Zach

Wish I could have seen nakamura live. I had to drop my tickets and all last minute yesterday morning.

I forgot to quote your meetup Q, I guess, but to answer that: I didn't see anyone coordinate anything, so nah. Too lazy, and kinda didn't want to be bothered with rushing around.

Anyway, why did you drop your tickets, you fool?!

It came off on the Network like some of the crowd popped for her when they first showed her, then the majority of the crowd started loudly booing.

It was pretty intense booing. I enjoyed it myself, since I find her to be an insincere schmuck.

Auto correct is a bitch, Zach. I'll have a word with my phone.

<3

RBH

So am I the only one who thinks AJ is going to carry Jericho through an amazing match tomorrow?

Like it's pretty known that I'm not a fan of Jericho, but he can typically keep up. And AJ is still one of the top 5 in the world, period. I like to think that with time, AJ will turn that into a MOTYC. With time.

I feel like it's going to be a better match than people think. Their first four matches came within AJ's first month of using a WWE ring for the very first time, and I think you could see how his timing was a little bit off (thus throwing the match off slightly at times). But now that AJ has gotten more acclimated lately, I feel that he and Jericho will be comfortable enough to put on their best match yet.

Zach

It is so fucking cold there and will be in evening. Would duck for audience but then again, body heat and strong lights may help
I'm cold-natured and it was pretty gah dang toasty in just a T-shirt at NXT. Not the same building, but that body heat thing is legit.

Chris Benoit is like a whole foot smaller than JBL. Built like a damn tank though.

"It's still real to me damnit" sign is hilarious.

Bradshaw is an amazing heel. They don't make em like that anymore.

Lmfao Benoit is too small so to do the triple suplexes he has to kip up and spin around.

Benoit definitely should've won that one but the finish was great and tge heat he receives is even better.

Edge had great matches his entire career before this moment but holy shit, the video package for this match is hype. Mick continues to show you that he's the sensai who gives superstars their awakening potential capsule.

Mahonay

Banned
Joey Samoey turns into a his crazier younger self when he get cut wide open apparently. Crowd was getting super irate with the constant medical stoppages to slow down the bleeding. "FUCK PG! FUCK PG!". Legit surprised they didn't cut the live audio during that. Match obviously could have been more with out that going on. Was really happy to see Balor go to his old NJPW body paint style, it has always looked incredible.

Nakamura vs Sami surpassed my expectations by a good bit. I figured it would be kind of laid back as his first match out...wrong. Was watching my girlfriend and she had never seen Nakamura before, but really likes Zayn. She was absolutely loving the match and just going "holy shit!" most of the way. It was extremely smart to put Nak in there with Sami, someone who can work a match like that with him and keep up. Great introduction for fans who've never seen Nakamura wrestle.

American Alpha was super fucking hype which was tons of fun. Everyone in that match was electric. Jordan being brought to tears over the victory was a pretty damn good way to end that climb to the belts.

Corbin vs Aries was decent. Corbin keeps making noticeable improvements. Aries was insanely tiny in comparison to Corbin but his "bring it motherfucker" mentality was pretty great.

Bayley vs Asuka was good. Not what I hoped it would be, but it was good. I can see they're building a feud which is perfectly fine with me. The right person won that match with the story they're telling.

My body is primed and ready for Mania now. Having some people over for beers to watch with us.

What made that hardcore match is the fact that Edge was able to take the pain from Foley as well. No one else has dared to go the lengths that Foley has by getting beat with the senseless stuff he lets them beat him with. That match was perfect.

Rofl this segment with Booker basically at a freak show is hilarious.

Top Bottom