• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT| A Max Landis Production

Alucard

Banned
Road Dogg capture the white trash cultural zeitgeist of the late 90s perfectly, grown men seemed pretty into that whole thing. I mean the were all mentally around 11 years old that's for sure.

Some 30-somethings I see at wrestling shows still are.

Common things still heard at wrestling shows in 2016, shouted by men of various ages, but often from Attitude era kids:

"FAG!"
"SLUT!"
"BITCH!"

The dregs of humanity still feel going to pro wrestling shows gives them cart blanche to freely shout slurs and ignorance.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I wonder if Bryan Alvarez notices he's insufferable so often. Dude never stops whining.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I made a bet that before Mania, we would see Kevin Owens shirtless on WWE TV.

shaowebb

kerpsps.gif

For some reason I read that with Tommy Wiseau's voice lol

I read it in the late 80's stereotypical henchmen 80s gang voice. You know the one. Like that flunky Rigger for Horace Greedly on Captain Planet saying "Da baaaaws wans us teh pour dis oyl on da Paaaaaaaandas. HEHEHEHEHEH!"

rXrYndz.jpg

You can just heeeeeeeear the nasally stereotypically 80s movie gang zapho voice.

Some 30-somethings I see at wrestling shows still are.

Common things still heard at wrestling shows in 2016, shouted by men of various ages, but often from Attitude era kids:

"FAG!"
"SLUT!"
"BITCH!"

The dregs of humanity still feel going to pro wrestling shows gives them cart blanche to freely shout slurs and ignorance.

I thankfully haven't had to deal with anything to that level at shows.

bjork

You made a year long avatar bet on that?!

To be fair, it's not the most outrageous forum bet to be made.

Sunny: is it that one photo, or can you change it to other photos of Max Landis?

I thankfully haven't had to deal with anything to that level at shows.

I've only been to maybe 6-7 shows ever, all WWF/E, but the most I've had is drunken hayseed people slurring their yells about how they could kick [wrestler's] ass, and then there's almost always someone with a disability of some type yelling for the entire show. When I went to a Raw in 2006, one such man yelled MAY NINETEENTH through the entire show, whether Kane was out there or not. Also, I think that show was in July.

Alvarez's relentless negativity just gets grating after a while.

He likes NJPW and LU. WWF's been bad for a long time, so there's a ton to be negative about there. I think he's still annoyed by mania, and the fact that Joe and Nakamura, two of the biggest names in wrestling, are on nxt when the main roster has a talent shortage.

If he's still negative in a month and wwf have been putting on decent shows like last week and yesterday I'd agree.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
It's gonna need to stay as this one, because I'm not able to change my av anymore.

klonere

Banned
I have to "be" Max Landis for a year.

A YEAR

dear god Vince why

I wonder if Bryan Alvarez notices he's insufferable so often. Dude never stops whining.

If's funny since Mania he's been trying to maintain that "I don't care anymore" attitude because Mania was so throughly written out of canon so soon and the build up to it was horrific but still was vastly successful AND it hasn't affected business afterwards either.

But then he can't help himself. It's too easy to get mad at WWE. Too easy by half.

Russo on the latest wrestling inc podcast is in fine form yet again. This guy cant be serious with the things he says. Hes playing a commentary heel right?

He doesnt know the new day's name (calls them the cereal guys), he thinks sami zayn looks like a cab driver and his crowd reactions are "too much"... I could go on and on.

Either this dude is a joke or im a mark.

Russo is the audio version of my post about Kenny Omega. He's a contrarian who aims to get a rise out of the smarks who will keep watching him just to hear him spout his next inane, insane line while always slipping enough truth or insight in there to not seem totally out of touch.

bjork

I've never heard either Metlzer or Alvarez, so I'm just gonna take you guys at your word on how they are.

Sunny: you should double or nothing to at least get to pick a less bad photo!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Meltzer is losing it over how much he hates the British crowd.

Mahonay

Banned
I've never heard either Metlzer or Alvarez, so I'm just gonna take you guys at your word on how they are.

Meltzer is not great at speaking, he says "um" a fucking ton and is very scatter-brained. But I relate a lot better to him in just his general feelings about wrestling, and obviously he gets the scoops.

Kurita

Alvarez reviews of terrible TNA PPVs are gold

MINUS FIVE STARS

Angry Grimace

A YEAR

dear god Vince why

If's funny since Mania he's been trying to maintain that "I don't care anymore" attitude because Mania was so throughly written out of canon so soon and the build up to it was horrific but still was vastly successful AND it hasn't affected business afterwards either.

But then he can't help himself. It's too easy to get mad at WWE. Too easy by half.

Russo is the audio version of my post about Kenny Omega. He's a contrarian who aims to get a rise out of the smarks who will keep watching him just to hear him spout his next inane, insane line while always slipping enough truth or insight in there to not seem totally out of touch.

Alvarez is completely fucking obsessed with bitching about WrestleMania. It's comes off as a weird take to me because almost all of shit they reversed is good (Styles is main eventing, Zayn's being treated like he's a relevant player, Roman's barely involved, face authority figure) and could be interpreted as realizing everyone fucking hated WrestleMania.

I just don't get taking a change in direction that's unequivocally good and arguing that its bad because its inconsistent. I don't care if its inconsistent all of the changes are good.

bjork

Meltzer is not great at speaking, he says "um" a fucking ton and is very scatter-brained. But I relate a lot better to him in just his general feelings about wrestling, and obviously he gets the scoops.

I do this too. He's a writer first, right? I could see him being used to collecting his thoughts before writing, but being on the spot live makes that a little difficult for some.

Alvarez reviews of terrible TNA PPVs are gold

MINUS FIVE STARS

Oh, see. I know that line from Botchamania, but wasn't sure who'd said it.

shaowebb

Man...now I want Santino Marella to comeback in an 80s gang henchman roll and laugh like Skull from Bulk and Skull :(

"Will hench for food"

Mahonay

Banned
Can you imagine if Starrcade 97 happened in the Georgia Dome and they didn't fuck up the ending?
"Imagine if they didn't fuck up" should be the name of a book about the comprehensive history of WCW/NWA.
I do this too. He's a writer first, right? I could see him being used to collecting his thoughts before writing, but being on the spot live makes that a little difficult for some.
Yep. Dude has been writing for almost 40 years I think, podcast form is very new to him in comparison. It definitely makes sense.

Aiii

So not worth it
If your job is to watch every shitty WWE show with no way out, of course you'll end up in a negative spiral with no hope of escape.

Fox318

Can you imagine if Starrcade 97 happened in the Georgia Dome and they didn't fuck up the ending?

I think they could have got away with the rest of the card being shit (with mostly heels winning) if Sting squashed Hogan and the nWo was killed off slowly.

Only issues that remained was Hogan and Nash's creative deal.

The time to change something in wrestling booking is almost always before you think you want it. Like with Naito's title change and The New Day going over The Brass Ring Club last year. Cesaro and Kidd were building up steam as a tag team and they changed the titles into what was a pretty good feud and helped catapult The New Day.

Alvarez is completely fucking obsessed with bitching about WrestleMania. It's comes off as a weird take to me because almost all of shit they reversed is good (Styles is main eventing, Zayn's being treated like he's a relevant player, Roman's barely involved, face authority figure) and could be interpreted as realizing everyone fucking hated WrestleMania.

I just don't get taking a change in direction that's unequivocally good and arguing that its bad because its inconsistent. I don't care if its inconsistent all of the changes are good.

I knew from the lineup that WM was going to suck. Watching it and being bored only confirmed my thoughts. It was top 5 bad all time.

No one here thought it was good right?

Mahonay

Banned
If your job is to watch every shitty WWE show with no way out, of course you'll end up in a negative spiral with no hope of escape.
You have to adjust your perspective at some point if you don't want it to just rot your soul. Meltz has massively lowered his expectations for WWE programming, and enjoying the parts that actually are acceptable or good. It's his way of coping with a shit product. Alvarez really needs to take a deep breath and realize it's just wrestling. It's bad a lot of the times, comes with the territory.

Cagey

Banned
The British crowd is mute/FF-worthy, absolutely ruins the television product. Not that I cared much for her beforehand, but the Bayley bullshit from last year's NXT show in London leaking into NXT tapings in America completely ruins whatever segment she's in for me when the singsong nonsense starts. I just skip it entirely.

Big Scoopz Dave is right on that point.

klonere

Banned

Yeah pretty much, all the changes have been very positive up until now.

Last year's WM had enormous ongoing consquence (start of Cena US title run, Seth's reign, should have been the start of DBrys IC run, the genesis of the New Day turn etc) so I think we can hopefully mark this year's down as an anomaly due to injuries.

That's exactly it. He comes across as far more quick witted on Twitter and his writing, while in need of editing due to length are way better than his stuff on tape. Still he's fun to listen to ramble on about stuff.

Alvarez is a total pro when it comes to the mechanics of presenting to be fair. He did several 20 minute solo podcasts over WM weekend with nary an "um" or "err" or even a pause in sight.

Mahonay

Banned
The British crowd is mute/FF-worthy, absolutely ruins the television product. Not that I cared much for her beforehand, but the Bayley bullshit from last year's NXT show in London leaking into NXT tapings in America completely ruins whatever segment she's in for me when the singsong nonsense starts. I just skip it entirely.

Big Scoopz Dave is right on that point.
That Bayley chant is the worst.
That's exactly it. He comes across as far more quick witted on Twitter and his writing, while in need of editing due to length are way better than his stuff on tape. Still he's fun to listen to ramble on about stuff.

Alvarez is a total pro when it comes to the mechanics of presenting to be fair. He did several 20 minute solo podcasts over WM weekend with nary an "um" or "err" or even a pause in sight.
Alvarez definitely has the radio voice thing going on with him.

Top Bottom