• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT| A Max Landis Production

Well, The Lapsed Fan is a couple of dudes talking about everything that happens in and around a show. The inner workers, what's going on elsewhere, etc. It's just two friends having a good time recapping a show and talking about the wrasslin' business as a whole. It's fun. Try it out.
Do they go into dirt sheet stuff from the time period?

lol.

Its a podcast by 2 people who recognize that wrestling used to be better. It features one of the top MMA/Fight sports journlists with his actor/impresionis friend.

To compare here is one segment featuring Dave Meltzer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ktfG6lrjdE

and another showcasing the humor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osCI_WNAl1Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xxFCZeSfRU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nb8Ih_p2q8A
Them things are long as shit though.

korly

Is this match on NJPW World?

20 years ago, on this day:

Hashimoto challenges Takada for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship. NJPW vs UWFi. Big fight feel in the Tokyo Dome!

a25pSWO.gif

Hashimoto looks a little shook, maybe cause he wasn't expecting the massive pop he gets when he walks out. Meanwhile Takada is cool as a cucumber.

aRaUgO8.gif

C8fY3K6.gif

Takada's plan was simple. Kick the shit out of Hash then make him submit with a hold.Too bad for him Hashimoto was having none of that.

X4LAldD.gif

pxiJWsJ.gif

The stiffness of the kicks are over 9000. I love it maggle!
Every time Hashimoto gets some offence in, the Tokyo Dome explodes. I mean some INSANE pops! He knows it's his night, so he tries to hit his vertical brainbuster on Takada a couple of times. When he finally does, the Dome erupts.

0Ionpbw.gif

After the battle, the two shook hands and bow in a sign of respect.

BRAvzkB.gif

I love this match. Not too long, not too short, with just the right amount of action.And the Dome atmosphere is off the charts, which adds a lot to the quality.
You can watch it here, sorry for the potato quality but it's all i got:
http://rutube.ru/video/4ddeabaa59571b440803a9340558780f/

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The Chavo/Rey match from Revenge is like night and day with the opening 6 man tag. As much as I dislike Chavo and find maskless Rey to be the worst even as a little Jimmy, they kick the shit out of the scramble. If the guys in the scramble are supposed to be the 'next generation' of cruiserweights after your Reys, Kidmans, Psicosis, Ultimos, etc then WCW would have been really fucked had it stuck around.

Luckily a lot of those guys got a lot better after WCW(Yang, Hayashi, Helms, Noble) and Karaigis vanished into the ether.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The Chavo/Rey match from Revenge is like night and day with the opening 6 man tag. As much as I dislike Chavo and find maskless Rey to be the worst even as a little Jimmy, they kick the shit out of the scramble. If the guys in the scramble are supposed to be the 'next generation' of cruiserweights after your Reys, Kidmans, Psicosis, Ultimos, etc then WCW would have been really fucked had it stuck around.

Luckily a lot of those guys got a lot better after WCW(Yang, Hayashi, Helms, Noble) and Karaigis vanished into the ether.

I mean the real last class of WCW cruiserweights include of of the biggest indie names of the early 2000's.

Kaladin

I think Chavo Guerrero has to be in the running for most boring wrestler ever.

He's been given chances with WCW, many opportunities in WWE, even made WWECW champion, and he's been given a spotlight in Lucha Underground lately.

He's still consistently to me the most boring wrestler ever.

He's been wrestling for over 20 years.

Anth0ny

Do they go into dirt sheet stuff from the time period?

Absolutely. They go into pretty much EVERYTHING surrounding the time period that a PPV takes place. These shows are all like 4+ hours long because they go real in depth.

Their humour is also right up my alley. they aren't afraid to poke fun at this carny ass industry we call pro wrestling.

you're going through the attitude era right now, listen to one of their reviews of an attitude era show you've watched recently and see how it goes. I know they did survivor series 1998.

Zach

I think Chavo Guerrero has to be in the running for most boring wrestler ever.

He's been given chances with WCW, many opportunities in WWE, even made WWECW champion, and he's been given a spotlight in Lucha Underground lately.

He's still consistently to me the most boring wrestler ever.

He's been wrestling for over 20 years.

Chavo has a couple of cute little moments with Eddie in WCW, but he's trying hard. He's mostly fine when it comes to doing movez and stuff, but nothing really feels natural about him. He's basically Jeff Jarrett/Triple H tier.

>:D

ddsffdsdfs6jqxc.gif

I have so many questions
Haha... excellent.

But I'm literally watching it right now, which must mean late era WCW is the best since it actually succeeded in getting me to watch again.

Bring on nWo Silver.

Yeeeaaah! Tear it up, Jimmy K!

Kaladin

Chavo has a couple of cute little moments with Eddie in WCW, but he's trying hard. He's mostly fine when it comes to doing movez and stuff, but nothing really feels natural about him. He's basically Jeff Jarrett/Triple H tier.

Chavo wouldn't get booked if it weren't for his last name.

Barrage

WARNING: THIS POST RELATES TO A EPISODE OF RAW FROM THE YEAR 2000. ANY COMMENTS REFERRED TO THEREIN RELATE TO THAT PARTICULAR TIME PERIOD, NOT OF THE CURRENT DAY WWE RAW PROGRAM. ANY SIMILARITY TO CONTENT IN THE YEAR 2016 INCLUDING CHARACTERS, PLACES, OR EVENTS IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL.

Outlaws doing their schtick while a guy in the front row is holding up a sign that says "YOU ARE HEELS." Haha.

Nekofrog

Banned
I watch old nwa/wcw ppvs after my wife goes to bed. Luger and flair had a bunch of really great matches that almost all had poor finishes. Then sting comes along at havoc 90 and wins the title in a snore fest.
Was luger being carried, or if he kept that motivation and hustle would he have stayed relevant for longer?

Absolutely. They go into pretty much EVERYTHING surrounding the time period that a PPV takes place. These shows are all like 4+ hours long because they go real in depth.

Their humour is also right up my alley. they aren't afraid to poke fun at this carny ass industry we call pro wrestling.

you're going through the attitude era right now, listen to one of their reviews of an attitude era show you've watched recently and see how it goes. I know they did survivor series 1998.
Hmmm, maybe I can do that tonight. See what sticks and what doesn't. That's a big show from the period too so definitely.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I watch old nwa/wcw ppvs after my wife goes to bed. Luger and flair had a bunch of really great matches that almost all had poor finishes. Then sting comes along at havoc 90 and wins the title in a snore fest.
Was luger being carried, or if he kept that motivation and hustle would he have stayed relevant for longer?

WCW/JCP only has a handful of good main event finishes in their almost 20 year history. It's not just the Hogan era but Dusty Rhodes booking, screwing over Flair, screwing over Sting/Luger.

Haha... excellent.

Yeeeaaah! Tear it up, Jimmy K!

I liked when he was trying to sell gold jewelry in the back, That was funny.

Zach

I'm of the opinion that Ric Flair was just really good. Luger no doubt had great potential, but he seemed to stop learning and start coasting pretty early on in his career. Which somehow worked for him.

Kaladin

Exactly. Just like Double J having the last name Jarrett and Triple H having the last name McMahon.

At least those guys did something to further themselves. Double J made a shitty wrestling company and made himself champ. Triple H married into the family business.

Chavo capitalized on his nephew's death and continues to drive a family name into the ground.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
There are SO many missed moonsaults at Revenge. Holy shit. DeMott hits a 'moonsault' that's more like a headbutt twice, Karaigas overshoots a springboard moonsault and completely misses the person, Yang and Hayashi both overshoot moonsaults.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
There are SO many missed moonsaults at Revenge. Holy shit. DeMott hits a 'moonsault' that's more like a headbutt twice, Karaigas overshoots a springboard moonsault and completely misses the person, Yang and Hayashi both overshoot moonsaults.

It's the weakest show of the 2001 trio.

Zach

At least those guys did something to further themselves. Double J made a shitty wrestling company and made himself champ. Triple H married into the family business.

Chavo capitalized on his nephew's death and continues to drive a family name into the ground.

His uncle's death, right?

And yeah, I'm kidding. I'd put both Triple H and Double J a hair above Chavo. :D

Fox318

So...he moved this partner from harm, lays down for his partner to get the hit, then moves out of the way...

Makes sense.

he could have just attacked the guy instead of playing dumb.

or pull the guy aside and not play dumb and attack the guy after the flip.

Top Bottom