• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin |OT| WrassleMania Sucked

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linkified

Galvanise_ said:
I can't think of one classic match Cena has been in. The rest is true though. I'm just one of the guys that can't stand him. I didn't like him as a heel either. He just doesn't do it for me.
Debut match against kurt angle, but that was down to angle.

Anyone in New Jersey with Comcast having trouble ordering Wrestlemania? It's coming up as "Not yet available for purchase" and I called Comcast and they're saying it's not in their system yet. I usually order the PPVs a few days in advance so I'm kinda nervous. :/

DKehoe

Galvanise_ said:
I can't think of one classic match Cena has been in. The rest is true though. I'm just one of the guys that can't stand him. I didn't like him as a heel either. He just doesn't do it for me.
The hour long match he had with Shawn Michaels was fantastic. And no, it wasn't just because of Shawn.

Mr. Sam

I see a lot of criticisms for Cena on the internet. Some I find valid, some I find just plain stupid; hate for the sake of it.

The valid ones:
  • His selling. A friend of mine put it pretty humorously, "Cena's got two types of selling - dead fish and angry bear."
  • The fact that he's been a babyface for the last, I dunno, seven years? Repetition invariably makes things boring.
  • That purple shirt. Jesus Christ, that thing's an eyesore.
  • His promos skills seem to have waned in the last few years.

The stupid ones:
  • "He only knows five moves", or any variation. Every wrestler worth their salt has certain signature moves and a finishing sequence. This is not a phenomena unique to John Cena by a long shot.
  • He doesn't have good matches. He does, and they're not by accident either. I could probably make a list but I imagine I'd be met simply by "No, that was rubbish - not enough German suplexes" or "X, Y or Z carried him to that match." How Cena's met by this criticism more than Triple "I stunk out the main event of WrestleMania worse than a week old fish" H is beyond me.
  • His promos aren't always bad. The past five weeks, we've seen both Cena's best and worst promo material.

Mr. Sam said:
"He only knows five moves", or any variation. Every wrestler worth their salt has certain signature moves and a finishing sequence. This is not a phenomena unique to John Cena by a long shot.

Maybe not, but that's not going to stop me from despising superman finishing sequences that never, ever change. It doesn't matter what happens to a guy like Cena or Super Rey, you know that the majority of the time they're going to pop up, fresh as a daisy, regardless what's happened in the match, and pull out their finishing sequence of doom in the exact same manner every time. It makes for boring, and predictable match finishes, but is entirely a symptom of WWE's Superman booking.

Mr. Sam said:
[*]He doesn't have good matches. He does, and they're not by accident either. I could probably make a list but I imagine I'd be met simply by "No, that was rubbish - not enough German suplexes"

Yes, because we're all spot monkey craving wrestling fans who shit on any match that doesn't have enough movezzzzz.

Kyoufu

Bootaaay said:
Yes, because we're all spot monkey craving wrestling fans who shit on any match that doesn't have enough movezzzzz.

Actually you're all spot monkey craving wrestling fans who shit on any match with Cena in it.

Keep hating though, its funny to see.

Kyoufu said:
Actually you're all spot monkey craving wrestling fans who shit on any match with Cena in it.

Keep hating though, its funny to see.

Actually, I could list a fair number of Cena matches I've enjoyed, despite my reservations with the way he's booked.

But keep being so presumptuous, it's funny to see.

Kyoufu

This cracked me up for some reason.

BbRg7.jpg

Joey Styles just tweeted that Kozlov was attacked by The Corre after his match with Tyler Reks at Axxess. Perhaps he's out of the Smackdown Faces vs. Corre match and Kofi is in?

El Pescado said:
Joey Styles just tweeted that Kozlov was attacked by The Corre after his match with Tyler Reks at Axxess. Perhaps he's out of the Smackdown Faces vs. Corre match and Kofi is in?
Michael Hayes must have put on a Cool Runnings VHS tape in and realized that fake Jamaicans are cool people.

WWE shot an angle at Axxess yesterday where The Corre brutally attacked Vladimir Kozlov, putting him in jeopardy for the 8-man tag at Mania. There's talk that either Kofi Kingston or Kevin Nash will be put in the match to replace Kozlov.

DKehoe

I think they shouldn't put Nash out there unadvertised. People like him currently but the more active he is the less he will mean. They should make the few appearences they can get out of him meaningful.

Dork Knight said:
They should put in Yoshi Tatsu dressed up as Fake Kane only to reveal he's actually Fake Diesel. TOOT! TOOT!
When did Linkified get an alt account?

Just kidding, but I couldn't help it. :lol

Kyoufu

If I was only permitted to post in one thread on GAF, it'd be in the Wrasslin thread(s). Despite the blind Cena hate, you guys are awesome.

DKehoe said:
The hour long match he had with Shawn Michaels was fantastic. And no, it wasn't just because of Shawn.

Fair enough. For me though, I can't recall any that were memorable.

I'm not hating for the sake of hating by the way. I just genuinely don't care much for Cena. He doesn't excite me at all and never has.

Some people feel the same about HHH, Taker, Kane, Miz etc. I just happen to really like those guys. Plenty of time for Cena to get there though.

Azuran

Banned
Mr. Sam said:
I found a lot of truth in this:

Wrestling marks are dumb and don't know what they really want. It's no wonder Vince never pays attention to them.

Galvanise_ said:

I Quit Match with JBL and the TLC and LMS matches with Edge.

Azuran said:
Wrestling marks are dumb and don't know what they really want. It's no wonder Vince never pays attention to them.

Vince does not pay attention to them, cause his is a senile fool with no knowledge of how the world outside his own self imposed bubble actually works

DKehoe said:
Yes. This is one of my top ten matches of all time.

Almost all of my Top 10 Matches of All Time have either Shawn Michaels in them.

Azuran said:
I would add the Summerslam and Mania matches against Batista, vs. Umaga at the Rumble, vs. Jericho at Survivor Series '08, vs. HHH at NoC '08, and vs. JBL at Judgment Day '08.

BigKaboom2 said:
I would add the Summerslam and Mania matches against Batista, vs. Umaga at the Rumble, vs. Jericho at Survivor Series '08, vs. HHH at NoC '08, and vs. JBL at Judgment Day '08.

How many of those did he lose? Genuine question.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Azuran said:

Cena vs Khali in a I quit Match

Batista in a I Quit
Orton/Cena in a LMS\
Cena/Batista LMS

haters.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
i want to order Mania but the retarded DVR says it's too early

on top of that, Monday I'm getting the top of the line DVR to replace this one..I planned on recording Maniia now I got maybe 7 hours to watching back before it leaves....ah technology screws me over again.

Less than an hour to the 2nd ROH iPPV at Center Stage! Should be fun - hopefully WGGT vs the Wolves is for the belts, also Briscoes vs ANX is going to be freaking wild. Plus, Cabana vs Dave Taylor should provide some awesome technical wrestling action and the SHIMMER tag title match will be excellent if last night's womens tag match is anything to go by.

Also, the replay of last night's show is now up for VOD at GoFightLive.

I know this is totally random but I hope CM punk keeps his hair do that he has going on now. Really suits him much more than that long hair did.

-Pyromaniac- said:
I know this is totally random but I hope CM punk keeps his hair do that he has going on now. Really suits him much more than that long hair did.

The long hair was perfect when he was going around healing people like a straight edge Jesus.

And people in this thread certainly have a WIDE definition of classic when it relates to John Cena matches.

Good opening match - King's pick up the win after a big double boot on Kyle O'Reilly.

*edit, the Embassy's out, so I guess Ciampa vs Homicide is up next - edit, make that Dave Taylor vs Cabana.

I can't believe noone has mentioned the Cena vs Umaga match with the rope choke STFU spot. Fantastic match.

Also, great opening match on the RoH iPPV.

Cabana beats Dave Taylor with a roll up in a fun technical match.

Ciampa vs Homicide is up now.

*edit, good match - Ciampa picks up the win after Princess Mia distracts Homicide - Cide clocks the Embassy's barrister RD Evans with a chair after the match.

krae_man

Cena's I Quit match with JBL was also a good match minus the whole "It's okay for me to attack JBL after he quits with this smokestack I ripped off of the Big Rig I rode in on because he's a heel" thing they did at the end.

AdawgDaFAB said:
I can't believe noone has mentioned the Cena vs Umaga match with the rope choke STFU spot. Fantastic match.

Also, great opening match on the RoH iPPV.

Or what about the first blood match with JBL where they did the exact same spot and JBL started bleeding from the mouth before Cena even started choking him?

dream

I don't get why they wouldn't just shoot the original angle to include Kofi instead but I guess that's why I'm not an entertainment writer.

I saw something about Sheamus vs Bryan being bumped off of the PPV. God I hope that's true.

krae_man

dream said:
I don't get why they wouldn't just shoot the original angle to include Kofi instead but I guess that's why I'm not an entertainment writer.

I saw something about Sheamus vs Bryan being bumped off of the PPV. God I hope that's true.

They can fit 9 matches into Night of champions but they can't fit 9 matches into Wrestlemania with an extra hour?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom