• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arma 3 Beta - June 25th - 35 Euros

CMDBob

So whats different about the full release from the beta?

Not that much. There's a few showcases, like one for tanks, one for gunships, one for armed assault (inf, tanks and everything together), one for drones and three faction showcases with all their vehicles and everything. A few new MP missions (one of them is the SP Tanks showcase, but for MP, as far as I can tell...) but otherwise, nothing much.

Not that much. There's a few showcases, like one for tanks, one for gunships, one for armed assault (inf, tanks and everything together), one for drones and three faction showcases with all their vehicles and everything. A few new MP missions (one of them is the SP Tanks showcase, but for MP, as far as I can tell...) but otherwise, nothing much.

There is also the addition of a significant landmass, for those of us who didn't play on the dev branch :)

Coldsnap

Did they successfully implement controller support? Bought it in Alpha because it had semi controller support it needed work. Now that I see the actual release is a half cooked version of the game I'm wondering if I wasted my money.

Seanspeed

Banned

There is also the addition of a significant landmass, for those of us who didn't play on the dev branch :)
Ok, thanks. No wonder they're not really making much a big deal over it.

Did they successfully implement controller support? Bought it in Alpha because it had semi controller support it needed work. Now that I see the actual release is a half cooked version of the game I'm wondering if I wasted my money.
The single-player aspect will come out here soon. You haven't wasted your money, you just need to wait a little bit longer for that part of it.

Foffy

Banned

ArmA games, if ArmA II is any indicator, are titles supported for years. You have to be in it for the long haul, friend.

Orgun

Fromt Reddit, some bullet penetration testing

ZyEGik8.jpg

edit: Though i'd say that the last image is slightly wrong, it looks more like the rounds ricocheting off the ground behind the sheet.

Steam community forums are in an uproar right now over the missing single player campaign, Altis performance, lack of 'polish', increase in price etc.

FGMPR

Banned
Steam community forums are in an uproar right now over the missing single player campaign, Altis performance, lack of 'polish', increase in price etc.

Fair enough about performance if people are having such issues, but the rest of those "issues"?

Steam forums are gaming's version of the youtube comments sections...

Wiktor

The game will get destroyed in reviews for lack of content Definitely the weakest game Bohemia has released. Will be glorious in a year though.

Spat_triate

The game will get destroyed in reviews for lack of content Definitely the weakest game Bohemia has released. Will be glorious in a year though.

Arma 3 may isn't their best, but it's heads and shoulders above Arma 1. Man that was a shitfest. Still, I am disappointed with the lack of unit and weapon variety.

arma 1 was a total mess when it was released, even bohemia admitted during arma 2's development that arma 1 was half-assed.

arma 3's playability is what saves it, so much less fussy than arma 2

I think someone needs to make an official thread since the "full" game is technically released now. The beta/alpha is over.

is it though

Wiktor

Arma 3 may isn't their best, but it's heads and shoulders above Arma 1. Man that was a shitfest. Still, I am disappointed with the lack of unit and weapon variety.

Arma still felt like a complete game though. Arma III doesn't. The core is the best they ever did, but it's obviously completely unfinished and rushed to the market in a way they never did before.

Arkanius

Arma still felt like a complete game though. Arma III doesn't. The core is the best they ever did, but it's obviously completely unfinished and rushed to the market in a way they never did before.

This
I really want to buy Arma III but paying full price for a game that is incomplete and still clearly in beta is a no go for me

Wiktor

This
I really want to buy Arma III but paying full price for a game that is incomplete and still clearly in beta is a no go for me

Yeah, for now it's clearly just for the most hardcore fans of ArmA. Even tactical shooter fans are propably better off going for Takedown/ sticking to Arma2 and then seeing in few months in what shape Arma3 is in, especially since the price will propably be lower by then.

Content, no. Bugs, yes.

Yep. It's well and good to say that Arma 2 had a single player campaign but for me the scripting broke in the tutorial itself. And then several times more before I gave up on it. If they can put out a bug free campaign after 3 months it will have been worth the wait.

Honestly I think every first time Arma customer goes through this phase of incredulity wondering how in the world they could release such an unoptimized and buggy game. Some folks get used to it and know what to expect next time around and others just give up on it.

Wiktor

Honestly I think every first time Arma customer goes through this phase of incredulity wondering how in the world they could release such an unoptimized and buggy game. Some folks get used to it and know what to expect next time around and others just give up on it.

Except that it seems to be getting worse, while it shouldn't.
Even Bethesda and Paradox got their shit together, so there's no excuse for Bohemia.

arma 2's campaign was also pretty bad outside of the first couple missions, especially when it made us do that warfare base-building shit

bi has alluded to arma 3's campaign being more reminiscent of ofp

Except that it seems to be getting worse, while it shouldn't.
Even Bethesda and Paradox got their shit together, so there's no excuse for Bohemia.

I'd argue that Bethesda and Paradox have not in fact gotten their shit together. Skyrim had all the bugs you expect (thanks to the Gamebryo open world and scripting errors). Paradox followed up Magicka with SotS2 and then most recently Leviathan Warships was nowhere near release worthy. Some that I haven't played might be good but I wouldn't say they're up to par as a whole (my opinion).

As for Arma, I do think they should have left it in beta until the single player content was ready. That said, also feel Arma 3 is generally more polished and bug free than their previous iterations, even if it is lighter on content. Bohemia stumbles because of their ambition (Altis is way bigger than Chernarus which was way bigger than most game worlds) and a certain amount of complacency that comes from the knowledge that they make a one of a kind game and that their community will stand by them as they continue to fix it up for years.

I think a lot of my disappoint in the amount of content could have been alleviated by having the ability to port ARMA2 assets in.

I just have to hope they are serious in their commitment to add that functionality as I'm afraid even the single player campaign won't change the fact that it's light on weapons and vehicles.

Wiktor

I'd argue that Bethesda and Paradox have not in fact gotten their shit together. Skyrim had all the bugs you expect (thanks to the Gamebryo open world and scripting errors). Paradox followed up Magicka with SotS2 and then most recently Leviathan Warships was nowhere near release worthy. Some that I haven't played might be good but I wouldn't say they're up to par as a whole (my opinion).
Skyrim was nowhere near as bad as Buggerfall was. Also..you haven't named even one game Paradox actually made. Just those they've published. Those are indeed buggy, but their own games imporoved considerably. Both Europa Universalis 4 and Crusader Kings II are by far the most polished titles that Paradox has ever made.

With Arma 3 I got the nasty feeling they either are in deep shit financially or just needed to shift more people to DayZ so they said "fuck it, we're releasing it the way it is". Because I have no idea why they would release what's essentially alpha content-wise and then charge full price for it.

I do agree they need serious competition to get their act together. Hopefully there is some on horizon.

FGMPR

Banned
Skyrim was nowhere near as bad as Buggerfall was. Also..you haven't named even one game Paradox actually made. Just those they've published. Those are indeed buggy, but their own games imporoved considerably. Both Europa Universalis 4 and Crusader Kings II are by far the most polished titles that Paradox has ever made.

With Arma 3 I got the nasty feeling they either are in deep shit financially or just needed to shift more people to DayZ so they said "fuck it, we're releasing it the way it is". Because I have no idea why they would release what's essentially alpha content-wise and then charge full price for it.

I do agree they need serious competition to get their act together. Hopefully there is some on horizon.

Why would they need to shift people to dayz when arma 3 is a $60 game compared to dayz which is likely going to be a lot less than that?

Anyway, If I had to take a guess, I'd think releasing without the campaign has more to do with being caught between out with the retail release and all the external deals that go along with that. After all, the game has been in the top 20 since steam charts since release, spending a large part of that in the top 10. How is the official release suddenly going to equate into a big payday? Not too mention Rocket, who has alluded to BI doing well after Arma 2's DayZ success.

Foffy

Banned
How was ARMA II when it was released? Was it as barebones as A3?

Its issue was it was buggy as fuck. Some would argue the offline stuff was 100% unplayable due to bugs, and was getting patches all the way into 2011. While this is not the case with ArmA III, it doesn't even seem to have one third of content that ArmA II did. Its only edge is that Altis is perhaps the biggest island in the series, and one of the biggest islands in games today. Even the content there, while polished, is taken here and there from ArmA II. It looks like we're in testing phases still due to the lack of official content.

The biggest means of content for ArmA III today is the All in ArmA project, which is a mod that allows backwards compatibility (on some level) with every previous ArmAverse title outside of ArmA 0 (engine issues; no idea if the ArmA II remake works), ArmA Tactics (mobile game), and Take on Mars (on a totally different engine than other ArmAverse games). The lack of content for ArmA III has a lot of the community asking Bohemia to pick up that mod and integrate it into the core experience, and it comes from kju, one of the most influential guys in the modding community for the game.

Are there any good single scenarios or officially created ones? The Steam workshop missions can be hit or miss if you don't know what to look for. I'm surprised there weren't some already included in the full release.

Zeknurn

How about the Arma 2 content library? Will there be some form of backwards compatibility?

Originally, we had an idea that was similar to Take On Rearmed. Unfortunately, upgrading the Arma 2 massive content library to Arma 3 standards is beyond what we can do in reasonable time. So instead, what we are going to do will be similar to Arma 1: we are going to release the entire Arma 2 library to the community and allow them create any derivative work within Arma 3. More details will be announced very soon.
and more in the interview with the CEO of Bohemia.
http://www.arma3.com/news/report-in-marek-spanel-ceo

FGMPR

Banned
Yeah, Arma 3 is infinitely more stable than Arma 2 at launch, and I was a bit of an A2 apologist at launch.

Arma 3 was in significantly better shape than 'launch' Arma 2 the first day A3 released as alpha. As far as general polish, performance, the quality of graphics, and animations all go, I think they've done a fantastic job.

robin2

How does workshop works?

I wanted to play a scenario. There was none available but it said I could download player-made stuff from the workshop; but when I click "workshop" (button down) nothing happens and it says I need to "join the workshop" or something. Tried to go into steam but it doesn't seem I have to "join" anything.

fleck0

How does workshop works?

I wanted to play a scenario. There was none available but it said I could download player-made stuff from the workshop; but when I click "workshop" (button down) nothing happens and it says I need to "join the workshop" or something. Tried to go into steam but it doesn't seem I have to "join" anything.

Exit the game and find Arma 3 in your Library. If you're in detail view you'll see a "Browse the Workshop" button. That will take you to the Arma 3 section of the worksho where you subscribe to whatever missions you want.

Then you Go to Scenarios in-game and it should load up the maps you selected.

anyone tried to control the helicopters with the xbox360 pad? it seems to have the same problem arma2 and take all helicopters have,the left pedal activates the fire button,i cant change it

robin2

Exit the game and find Arma 3 in your Library. If you're in detail view you'll see a "Browse the Workshop" button. That will take you to the Arma 3 section of the worksho where you subscribe to whatever missions you want.

Then you Go to Scenarios in-game and it should load up the maps you selected.

Thanks.

raphier

Banned
So basically it's up to the community to get content into the game from ARMA2?

They certainly are relying a lot on modders, not that they won't deliver, but it's an interesting decision.

Well haven't they always. It comes to the community to create cool mods that become native features in the sequels.

TheTrain

Ehi guys, this is an amazing addon in my opinion.
Try it, here some screen, features and link to the author.

107410_2013-09-16_000g9z8d.png

107410_2013-09-16_00007x47.png

107410_2013-09-16_000cka2g.png

107410_2013-09-16_000ztx2h.png

107410_2013-09-16_0002jxtu.png

F/A 18 Super Hornet

THE ADDON
This add-on represents real life F/A-18 E/F Super Hornet.
- ARMA NAVY GREY [F/A 18E and F/A 18F]

FEATURES
- New model for E/F (From ARMA 2 OA v2.0
- HD textures
- Full realistic set of weapons models
- Afterburner
- Foldable wings
- Canopy animation
- Flares and radar warning system
- Fuselage vapor effects
- Engine exhaust effect
- Working mirrors in pilot/ WSO views in both E/F
- Master arms "SAFETY" feature
- Collision Lights and Formation Lights
- Night Vision HUD for night flying and taxi
- ATFLIR laser designater for WSO

What's Planned
- Upgraded cockpit
- Start-up animations
- GPS/ INS system
- Service Menu
- Add all them fancy textures of Navy, Marine Corps, and RAAF units
- And much more

Orgun

Ehi guys, this is an amazing addon in my opinion.
Try it, here some screen, features and link to the author.

F/A 18 Super Hornet

THE ADDON
This add-on represents real life F/A-18 E/F Super Hornet.
- ARMA NAVY GREY [F/A 18E and F/A 18F]

FEATURES
- New model for E/F (From ARMA 2 OA v2.0
- HD textures
- Full realistic set of weapons models
- Afterburner
- Foldable wings
- Canopy animation
- Flares and radar warning system
- Fuselage vapor effects
- Engine exhaust effect
- Working mirrors in pilot/ WSO views in both E/F
- Master arms "SAFETY" feature
- Collision Lights and Formation Lights
- Night Vision HUD for night flying and taxi
- ATFLIR laser designater for WSO

What's Planned
- Upgraded cockpit
- Start-up animations
- GPS/ INS system
- Service Menu
- Add all them fancy textures of Navy, Marine Corps, and RAAF units
- And much more

That is some hot shit, i'll be downloading that asap. Cheers.

Orgun

Is Steam Workshop for missions only?

I was browsing for the first time this weekend and I didn't see any units.

At the moment yeah, I think it was in the interview with the CEO where they mentioned them being in talks with steam about adding more options.

Top Bottom