• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arma 3 Beta - June 25th - 35 Euros

Foffy

Banned
Use dePboUnpacker to extract the missions.pbo. Find the stratis.helicopters folder and copy it to my docs/Arma 3/missions and then you can load it from the editor. The player's helicopter is stuck under a waypoint so use shift+left click to select it.

Do you have a link to dePboUnpacker? Google isn't my friend on finding it. ):

Foffy

Banned

Foffy

Banned
Speaking of the campaign, it seems the rabbit hole gets a little more interesting. The campaign won't be released as one release, but released as three chunks beginning with the first four weeks of the official launch. I really have no idea on what to make of this news. The game won't launch with a campaign, but the campaign won't even be in a fully available, complete state until months after launch, when all the parts are released? I guess the good news is that by the end of this week, we will have a launch date and some idea of when the campaigns are planned to roll out. Also, we have an idea as to what will exactly be there at launch, and some of it is indeed new content.

Karak

I saw the other thread about the campaign missing and posted there. Sad news. Sadder still because I have no clue how I will effectively review the game for the website. It won't be complete at all. Damn.

I saw the other thread about the campaign missing and posted there. Sad news. Sadder still because I have no clue how I will effectively review the game for the website. It won't be complete at all. Damn.

Hmm, do as other sites do with games with MP heavy aspects. Review both separately.

Karak

Hmm, do as other sites do with games with MP heavy aspects. Review both separately.

Since its actually one game, reviewing it separately doesn't really make sense...nor does it seem fair. Though neither does their shambles of a release schedule:) So maybe I will.

James-Ape

show some balls, man
while i like the multiplayer a lot, Arma for me was always about the single player campaign. Which is maybe why i didn't like Arma 1 so much as the campaign felt very disjointed. I really hope the campaign they eventually release is a good one. I much prefer having missions as part of a larger campaign/story than just missions with next to no context.

Bohemia Interactive talks about the single player campaign delay in a blog post

http://www.bistudio.com/english/company/developers-blog/394-survive-adapt-win

In September, we're launching Arma 3 across digital and retail stores worldwide with new singleplayer, multiplayer and sandbox content along with our crown jewel, the Altis terrain. You can check out the details of our launch content over here. Our campaign, however, will be made available across 3 free episodes after release. Supplied as free DLC to everyone who owns the game, the first episode, Survive, will be available within the first 4 weeks of launch. The Adapt and Win episodes follow in the months thereafter.

ArmA III "Live" Stream.

Little over an hour long, shows some new Showcases (NATO Showcase) and some cool stuff on Altis.

i just realized that the vehicles are pretty much identical with very few minor changes.. with that said i looked at the amount of vehicles in ARMA 2 compared to ARMA 3 and the difference is telling, why couldn't they add more? what took them such a long time with development when they have fewer weapons and vehicles compared to the previous entry? are they relying on the mod scene to make up for what they left out? could they be saving it for DLC... if these vehicles react and feel the same i just know ill get bored of using them. It all seems lazy to me

The Panther APC is also the Anti Air (Left Vehicle)
2013_07_16_00002.jpg

554786761.jpg

sunnz

i just realized that the vehicles are pretty much identical with very few minor changes.. with that said i looked at the amount of vehicles in ARMA 2 compared to ARMA 3 and the difference is telling, why couldn't they add more? what took them such a long time with development when they have fewer weapons and vehicles compared to the previous entry? are they relying on the mod scene to make up for what they left out? could they be saving it for DLC... if these vehicles react and feel the same i just know ill get bored of using them. It all seems lazy to me

The Panther APC is also the Anti Air (Left Vehicle)
2013_07_16_00002.jpg

554786761.jpg

The most noticeable difference is how ARMA 2 had a lot more civilian vehicles ( bikes too)

That I miss.

How's performance coming along? I'm running an i5 3570k and a GTX 760. I'm not sure if now would be a good time for me to buy or if I should wait a bit more for performance updates.

sunnz

How's performance coming along? I'm running an i5 3570k and a GTX 760. I'm not sure if now would be a good time for me to buy or if I should wait a bit more for performance updates.

Why not buy it now since it's cheaper than waiting and buying it full price ( buying it now, when it's cheaper still grants you access to the full game once it reaches that stage)

im running it on a GTX 680 at 1920x1080 every setting on Ultra and i am getting 60 FPS.. you should run it fine

Why not buy it now since it's cheaper than waiting and buying it full price ( buying it now, when it's cheaper still grants you access to the full game once it reaches that stage)

Well it'll go on sale in a Steam sale someday. If I'm not able to play it well enough now I can definitely wait until then.

I think one thing about the weapons is the fact they are now modular.

In ArmA II, if you wanted a M16 with a scope, it was a completely different weapon/model, etc... from a M16 with Iron Sights. I think it gave the impression of ArmA II having a lot more weapons than it actually did.

Now, there is a base weapon model and the scopes and everything else are modular.

I could be wrong on the amount though, I haven't seen a Vanilla ArmA II vs ArmA III weapons list.

Xyber

im running it on a GTX 680 at 1920x1080 every setting on Ultra and i am getting 60 FPS.. you should run it fine

I have a 680 overclocked to 1240MHz, i5 2500K at 4,6GHz, the game doesn't run anywhere near 60 fps on ultra if you play multiplayer. Playing Insurgency or something with 15 other dudes usually gives me maybe 40fps (at around 2800 in view distance IIRC). Smaller co-op missions with maybe 5 guys and it's usually a little better than that.

But no one should expect 60fps on ultra coming in to this. Even with a 760.

Overdoziz

Banned
I'm really tempted to buy a TrackIR 5 just for Arma 2, Arma 3 and DayZ. The price is a bit steep, but it looks like it would play great, especially in choppers (which are my favorite part of the games).

Jackpot

Banned
I did find this impressive:

http://www.greecevirtual.gr/en/north-aegean/agiosefstratios#/port_1/

Go south and you can find the bay that Night Operations begins at. Go North East and you can find that little bit of rock a mortar team is on in Choppers. Zoom out a bit and you can see "Altis" above it.

I'm really tempted to buy a TrackIR 5 just for Arma 2, Arma 3 and DayZ. The price is a bit steep, but it looks like it would play great, especially in choppers (which are my favorite part of the games).

Wouldn't it be better to wait for the Oculus Rift?

I refuse to play games packing cooky cutter animations any longer.
Step up your game, or eat my dust.

Well oiled animation is hardly the selling point of Arma, never was, never will be. Nor does it need that to be what it wants to be.

Arma is not for everybody, nothing wrong with that. But disregarding it over its animations is pretty funny if you ask me.

Karak

I did find this impressive:

http://www.greecevirtual.gr/en/north-aegean/agiosefstratios#/port_1/

Go south and you can find the bay that Night Operations begins at. Go North East and you can find that little bit of rock a mortar team is on in Choppers. Zoom out a bit and you can see "Altis" above it.

Wouldn't it be better to wait for the Oculus Rift?

The OR is going to require some seriously insane overhead to run ARMA. I think on a game as demanding as this its probably best to go with the IR.

shuri

Banned
I dont think I have ever got very far with the single player missions in any of the arma. I just crate my own crappy scenarios in the sandbox editor or play online. But I can understand that it's a letdown. I ordered an Oculust Rift yesterday; It would be nice to have some sort of support in Arma3 for it..

As for joystick support, last night I tried to setup my saitek x52 to control the chopper, and I couldnt control it very well; it a limitation of the alpha or something?

54-46!

What kind of performance should I expect from my rig? plan on getting the retail version.

Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3,2
Sapphire HD7950
8GB DDR3 1333Mhz

Overdoziz

Banned
The OR is going to require some seriously insane overhead to run ARMA. I think on a game as demanding as this its probably best to go with the IR.
This, plus the fact that with the current OR you can still clearly see separate pixels and the space in between those pixels. I think the OR has great potential, but it's still going to take some years to reach that to its fullest.

It's also a lot more expensive currently.

What kind of performance should I expect from my rig? plan on getting the retail version.

Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3,2
Sapphire HD7950
8GB DDR3 1333Mhz

That is very hard to make an estimation for.

Someone claimed to get locked at 60fps with a GTX680 and all settings at Ultra. I have an overclocked GTX 680 and do not get those fps.

In addition it will depend on what settings you think are acceptable. Do you need everything on Ultra, upgrade rig. Are you fine on lower settings, then I believe that your rig should be able to handle the game.

TBH I am not a 100% sure about your CPU though.

Well oiled animation is hardly the selling point of Arma, never was, never will be. Nor does it need that to be what it wants to be.

Arma is not for everybody, nothing wrong with that. But disregarding it over its animations is pretty funny if you ask me.

Well some special people laugh at clouds passing by, doesn't excactly mean they know whats going on.
Bohemia is running a 12 year old engine, the game evolved "very" little comming from the amazing Operation Flashpoint.

Arma lacks animations, physics, air dynamics, evolved mechcenics, bullet/projectile dynamics.
The rinkadink flat fps camera sliding over mountains Tribes style should a thing of the past, doesnt matter what it wants to be.

Spat_triate

Well some special people laugh at clouds passing by, doesn't excactly mean they know whats going on.
Bohemia is running a 12 year old engine, the game evolved "very" little comming from the amazing Operation Flashpoint.

Arma lacks animations, physics, air dynamics, evolved mechcenics, bullet/projectile dynamics.
The rinkadink flat fps camera sliding over mountains Tribes style should a thing of the past, doesnt matter what it wants to be.

What are you going on about? You'd be hard pressed to find a game with better bullet simulation and proper eye/camera placement.

Arma has a ton of problems and shortcomings, however the scale of combat is unmatched. The engine was built to primarily handle infantry combat, with the added option of air and naval support. You want a simulation of air dynamics? Go play the DCS series.

As for joystick support, last night I tried to setup my saitek x52 to control the chopper, and I couldnt control it very well; it a limitation of the alpha or something?

It was broken in the alpha so I guess it still is.I'll wait until they get around to fixing this. I don't want to fly helos with a mouse...

Longshot

The majority of this post is wrong.

Top Bottom