• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arma 3 Beta - June 25th - 35 Euros

Well some special people laugh at clouds passing by, doesn't excactly mean they know whats going on.
Bohemia is running a 12 year old engine, the game evolved "very" little comming from the amazing Operation Flashpoint.

Arma lacks animations, physics, air dynamics, evolved mechcenics, bullet/projectile dynamics.
The rinkadink flat fps camera sliding over mountains Tribes style should a thing of the past, doesnt matter what it wants to be.

You are definitely in the top 5 of "Stupidest Post Ever Made".

You should feel proud.

Orgun

They have added in the UAVs and UAV operators to the dev branch.

Man they are a lot of fun! I forsee some RTS style missions where the players aren't allowed out of the base but have kill the opposiing force with UAVs.

You can ride the ground one and even control it from inside

YHlqJDx.jpg

The UAV control interface is really neat
6eiyvaO.jpg

I streamed me messing around with them for the first time for about 5 minutes
http://www.twitch.tv/orgunuk2/b/446578005

The fixed wing UAV uses some odd controls!

EDIT:

If you skip to 3:50 on this video you can see what it's like to ride and drive the UAV buggy :)

http://www.twitch.tv/orgunuk2/b/446581454

This one I setup a bunch of Opfor in town and send in the UAVs

http://www.twitch.tv/orgunuk2/b/446590074

With today's update i realized just how lazy the devs are with creating ARMA 3... Bohemia Interactive skipped on creating 3D interiors for APC's and Tanks because they say that the time would be better spent on adding more vehicles but today's update shows that they haven't even bothered with variety as both sides have the same UAV and Vehicle (the turret used can also be found on the APC,Armored Vehicles and Operated Vehicles) am i the only one that hates it?

arma32013-08-1611-34-32rll.png

arma32013-08-1611-35-0yjf6.png

Anyway, give the workshop missions below a try... i enjoyed it

Ground Attack - DICS
Ground Attack II - DICS
[DEV] Snipe the VIP

demolitio

With today's update i realized just how lazy the devs are with creating ARMA 3... Bohemia Interactive skipped on creating 3D interiors for APC's and Tanks because they say that the time would be better spent on adding more vehicles but today's update shows that they haven't even bothered with variety as both sides have the same UAV and Vehicle (the turret used can also be found on the APC,Armored Vehicles and Operated Vehicles) am i the only one that hates it?

Anyway, give the workshop missions below a try... i enjoyed it

Ground Attack - DICS
Ground Attack II - DICS
[DEV] Snipe the VIP

Once I read the blog about how their game changed directions so many times and how they completely changed their goals including their vehicle release tree, it sort of makes sense considering how much time was wasted. It sounds like a lot of key decisions were made late in the game and now they're in catch-up mode. It sounds like once they changed directions on the vehicles to provide us more of the intimate early war stuff, we were in trouble for variety in other areas with both sides sharing assets. There's only one jet for release so we're sharing that as well.

I'm not a fan of it either, and then hearing the absence of fixed-wing aircraft for launch pissed me off even more after the campaign news. I'll still enjoy this game, but they better not start fucking charging for DLC's right away after the campaign when so many things are missing and there's so little variety. Then they come out and say that the F-35 in previews was only a placeholder and won't even be in the game? Masterful trolling...

Like I said above, they rely on modders too much now but luckily I have faith that modders will provide the full experience for us.

From their article:
How has it taken so long, then? As mentioned above, the project has experienced fundamental changes in terms of its vision, scope, scale, and setting. Put frankly, almost two years of work related to the original direction was binned. Through a process of playing, evaluating, and honest reflection, we found that the original plan was not headed towards what we expected from a legitimate Arma sequel. The changes that were necessary to put the project back on track have been costly and difficult but, ultimately, we feel, worthwhile.

Once I read the blog about how their game changed directions so many times and how they completely changed their goals including their vehicle release tree, it sort of makes sense considering how much time was wasted. It sounds like a lot of key decisions were made late in the game and now they're in catch-up mode. It sounds like once they changed directions on the vehicles to provide us more of the intimate early war stuff, we were in trouble in other areas.

The only change that occurred from the original vehicle announcement is the F35 and V-22 Osprey not being included.. they planned on little variety to begin with. This is on top of the delay of its single player campaign and multiplayer browser redesign. They haven't even given what the Modders have asked for which from what i can recall is freely moving around the decks of ships, bipod deployment and some other things. If you think they'll release free content (add ons) after spending money on creating and finishing the single player campaign your going to be disappointed. Someone should def bring up these issues at Gamescom.

Honestly, I'd rather take their engine improvements (animation, physics, weapon movement, stances) over content, if I had to choose one over the other. Content can be modded in or added with DLC, as much as it sucks to say that.

Any of you guys play co-op missions? Is there a gaf steam group? Getting back into this since the alpha, extremely impressed with the steam workshop integration.

I have a hard time understanding the fixed wing UAV and its missile controls. Can I fire manually or what? It seems to fire automatically when I engage the laser marker.

they've been doing a bunch of ai tweaks the last couple devbranch updates. if you fire on a group of enemies they no longer just hit the dirt and use their aimbot to headshot you; much more enjoyable now.

Starviper

Altis is big. I don't know how dedicated servers will cope with large amounts of players on objective based missions, the performance will be abysmal.

16 gigs of RAM paired with a newer Intel CPU and dedicated GPU should handle it fine. I imagine it'll be mainly based on RAM allocation.

EDIT: And higher than 56k

Gruso

Another 800MB update on dev branch.

27-08-2013
EXE rev. 09525
Size: ~809 MB
Known issue: Reports of Altis not working at all on some PCs (being investigated with priority)
Known issue: Pop-up errors selecting some units in editor
Fixed: Altis RPT error spam reduced a lot
Fixed: Game crash when moving missiles from Hex pack to ground (http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=13244)
Added compass to vehicles with turret
Fixed animation position to prevent big leg clipping in Panther
AAF officers should have correct icon for uniform in inventory
Several Field Manual entries have been updated with new icons
Updated Field Manual hints after previous optics fix in Arma 3 default preset
Radio protocol now matches dubbing for characters in Showcase Infantry
Fixed: Various problems with PhysX tree collisions
Fixed: Tracked vehicle mouse turning is no longer blocking key turning
Fixed: Team switch was inaccessible after player died

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?149636-Beta-Development-branch-changelog/page12

the map is way too huge for 40-60 players.. i spend most of my time walking around lol

You could have 500 players in here, and they wouldn't be too many for this map.

Of course, the fact you have a huge map doesn't mean you have to use the entire thing. A good mission will know to focus itself in a decent area, instead of sprawling around the entire island senselessly.

Top Bottom