• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrested Development |OT| Season 4 - May 26 - Netflix Unmakes A Huge Mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.
iUlcUE1SJntIY.gif

4Y612Qr.gif

G8D

Banned
Wonder how quick this will hit illegitimate channels.

EDIT: will this be on Netflix in Norway? I might make use of a free trial.

Weenerz

Banned
Where is the final countdown? I NEED IT ACCURATE UP TO THE SECOND! Yea, like the man in the $6000 suit is gonna go by the minute, COME ON!

big ander

Watching 7 or 8 random episodes in a row now, on The Ocean Walker. Every time I revisit this arc I'm reminded that it really is just...not that good. Funny in fits and starts. End to that episode though. "Dear god why am I not going underwater" amazing.

In this mini-rewatch I also came across a gag that I forget about for some reason, despite it being perfect. In Spring Breakout Tobias surprises everyone from the fireplace for the third time (which is still a wtf gag that I can't find ANY explanation for beyond "it was just random"), agrees to make Boys With Low Self Esteem. Buster, who is hungover from box wine and has a coconut on his hook, says "He just wants to see boys' linuses" then laughs at his own joke, moves to cover his mouth with his "hands" and smacks himself in the head with the coconut.
sublime.

Mason

If I were in marketing at Netflix, I'd release the first episode a couple of hours early. Word spreads like wildfire, everyone rushes to watch it, and now you've got people up discussing the first episode who might now just stay up to watch more. Break all kinds of streaming records and probably get (more) attention in the news cycle tomorrow morning. (Not that they won't already.)

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
Watching 7 or 8 random episodes in a row now, on The Ocean Walker. Every time I revisit this arc I'm reminded that it really is just...not that good. Funny in fits and starts. End to that episode though. "Dear god why am I not going underwater" amazing.

In this mini-rewatch I also came across a gag that I forget about for some reason, despite it being perfect. In Spring Breakout Tobias surprises everyone from the fireplace for the third time (which is still a wtf gag that I can't find ANY explanation for beyond "it was just random"), agrees to make Boys With Low Self Esteem. Buster, who is hungover from box wine and has a coconut on his hook, says "He just wants to see boys' linuses" then laughs at his own joke, moves to cover his mouth with his "hands" and smacks himself in the head with the coconut.
sublime.

IIRC, in the commentary they say that was a setup for a joke they ended up cutting.

big ander

If I were in marketing at Netflix, I'd release the first episode a couple of hours early. Word spreads like wildfire, everyone rushes to watch it, and now you've got people up discussing the first episode who might now just stay up to watch more. Break all kinds of streaming records and probably get (more) attention in the news cycle tomorrow morning. (Not that they won't already.)

...they don't need more word of mouth, it wouldn't attract more viewers (just a handful of viewers slightly earlier?), it couldn't possibly get more media news coverage (and releasing one episode a couple hours early is...not much of a newsworthy story it's not like it's a firestarter), it is already going to break streaming records probably, and most people aren't inside to watch on a saturday night.

lol sorry but this is just a nonsensical strategy in every way
IIRC, in the commentary they say that was a setup for a joke they ended up cutting.
Ah awesome. It's still pretty hilarious when you pretend the punchline is just that Tobias is a weird guy.

Midnight EST or PST?

PST.

Buster, who is hungover from box wine and has a coconut on his hook, says "He just wants to see boys' linuses" then laughs at his own joke, moves to cover his mouth with his "hands" and smacks himself in the head with the coconut.
sublime.

I love the drunk montage scene right before where Buster is shown trying to stab the coconut with his hook, but misses completely. Also the part where he is humping the air while laying on the dining table. :lol

Mason

...they don't need more word of mouth, it wouldn't attract more viewers (just a handful of viewers slightly earlier?), it couldn't possibly get more media news coverage (and releasing one episode a couple hours early is...not much of a newsworthy story it's not like it's a firestarter), it is already going to break streaming records probably, and most people aren't inside to watch on a saturday night.

lol sorry but this is just a nonsensical strategy in every way

(Maybe this isn't even the right way to approach it, but...) I'm thinking in terms of user stories. Diehard fans are staying up to watch the new episodes regardless. Many other fans are aware it's coming out and maybe they're even planning to watch tomorrow. But the release time is too late in the night to actually make plans around it. So they're having a normal Saturday night.

This latter group is the one you're reaching with the early release stunt. Suddenly it isn't at some time vaguely later in the middle of the night; it's now. Other people are watching it, starting to quote and spoil, etc. It creates a sense of immediacy that makes you want to watch it now, even if you can't.

At the very least, it adds buzz to an already buzzing fire and generates even more goodwill toward the Netflix brand (at no cost). So why not?

big ander

(Maybe this isn't even the right way to approach it, but...) I'm thinking in terms of user stories. Diehard fans are staying up to watch the new episodes regardless. Many other fans are aware it's coming out and maybe they're even planning to watch tomorrow. But the release time is too late in the night to actually make plans around it. So they're having a normal Saturday night.

This latter group is the one you're reaching with the early release stunt. Suddenly it isn't at some time vaguely later in the middle of the night; it's now. Other people are watching it, starting to quote and spoil, etc. It creates a sense of immediacy that makes you want to watch it now, even if you can't.

At the very least, it adds buzz to an already buzzing fire and generates even more goodwill toward the Netflix brand (at no cost). So why not?
non-diehards aren't going to cancel all their plans though. and they would probably rather watch them starting early in the day than at night. and there's already a sense of immediacy from releasing them all at once.

And why not: because arbitrarily violating release schedules sets a precedent so it could have a minor cost and definitely wouldn't have any benefit.

I know I already waited seven years, but I'm mildly irritated this is PST. I can't stay up until 3:00, but if I don't everything will be spoiled when I get up.

Anyone planning on watching the episodes out of order?

we not only have to stay up for another 3 hours, but also another 8 hours after that to watch every episode lol

I wish I could sleep. I'm probably going to get tired at around 4am as usual.

This thread will be 100 pages tomorrow night.

oatmeal

Banned
Got the Season 1 DVD's in, watching the behind the scenes shit that I haven't watched in 6-7 years.

I'm ready to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom