• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrested Development |OT| Season 4 - May 26 - Netflix Unmakes A Huge Mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Two episodes done and I'm gonna wait to blaze through the rest tomorrow. It's been pretty awesome what they have managed to do with what they had. Only thing that sucks was the really bad green screen scene near the start of episode 2.

Someone said they filmed some actors parts seperate and then combined them. Holy fuck I thought they were kidding, they actually did it.

Robot Pants

The guys in this thread lol. I'm guessing we should probably wait to see the how everything comes together as the season goes on before we pass too much judgement.
It's easy to see right away how different (and yes, bad) this is. Especially when you were just watching the old ones all day. Not that it has to be the same but the comedy is completely different (in my opinion not funny) and a few characters are out of character. If it gets much better later on in the episodes, sure I can forgive it but I'm scared its gonna be this way the whole way through.

I seem to be the minority on this one though.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Liked the first ep. Second doesnt have enough jokes. Going to sleep and will watch the rest tomorrow.

I agree, but I did like the joke where
George Sr. utilized the "text to communicate thoughts" thing

I wish they didn't have to dedicate an episode to each main character. Just follow the normal format that made the show so great.

Yeah so far not liking it. Following different crazy stories that usually kind of come together in a way worked better.

Do you think they did it this way because of the schedules?

JABEE

I wish they didn't have to dedicate an episode to each main character. Just follow the normal format that made the show so great.

Bacon

It's easy to see right away how different (and yes, bad) this is. Especially when you were just watching the old ones all day. Not that it has to be the same but the comedy is completely different (in my opinion not funny) and a few characters are out of character. If it gets much better later on in the episodes, sure I can forgive it but I'm scared its gonna be this way the whole way through.
That's fair but from reading Mitch hurwitz' comments on the season and from knowing how AD operates I think that we should wait to see the final product in it's entirety(perhaps multiple times :p) before going into panic mode.

mibm

aka funkky
Jesus Christ Portia de Rossi looks completely different now. What the hell happened to her?
zHuaAe1.png

Empty

i thought the first episode was quite bad, the opening was baffling, all the usually inventive cutaways fell flat, it tried to do too much and the whole doom room plot was really stupid. i did think the use of music was hilarious though.

hopefully it improves. maybe when tobias reappears.

Just finished episode 2.

Some good laughs, Barry is always good. Slattery was awesome.

The format change really changes the show, only covering a few characters reduces the breakneck pace of the episodes that the show previously had. It's obvious that the narrative of the season will be one giant and absurd puzzle that will be put together over the course of the 15 episodes, even with episode 2 it was fun to see the context of scenes from another perspective.

Although they each have some good moments (holy shit at Lucille smoking in the apartment lol), didn't find either of the first two episodes to be particularly funny.

I think I'll call it tonight, I'll probably watch a good chunk of the season tomorrow.

Oh, and Young Lucille and Young George. LOVE Wiig as Lucielle, fantastic. Not a big fan of Rogan as George though.

I don't know what to think so far. On episode 3, feel ill finish this one and continue tomorrow.

Not too many laughs. I think my biggest problem is that I'm feeling lots of the interconnecting parts are forced. Maybe that's just a natural consequence of this season format, but instead of going omg and laughing at realizing the connections and foreshadowing within the original seasons, these new episodes I just go "ah, yeah". Also, too many callbacks.

I'm still gonna wait before I watch it all over again at least once before really passing judgment. I owe the show that.

bonesquad

Yeah so far not liking it. Following different crazy stories that usually kind of come together in a way worked better.

Do you think they did it this way because of the schedules?

Yeah, that's exactly why. I read a story awhile back that said that this is how the new episodes would be precisely because of scheduling conflicts.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
"Good luck getting that f***ing raccoon smell out of the gate house, because I never could."

Also, this other montage in the house. Fuck. My god. This is what I have waited for.

Some of you need to just let go and enjoy it for what it is. Also, we aren't even 90 minutes in. Still 7 hours to go...

Holy shit at cooking the duck! Haha

This is atrocious.

I shouldn't have watched the last 3 seasons over the last two weeks, cos its exposing how terrible this is. The structure doesn't work.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Method One Clinic

Bitéme

This is the best thing.

"He fell out of a tree and broke his neck."

Bees.

So, I can't decide if the Method One Clinic is more or less clever than the Blue Man Group support group.

Edit: Oh MY GOD. The payoff to the joke with Tobias and Lindsay driving and it ends up being Lindsay, who is texting the whole time, is driving and Tobias just has a party tray.

Mairu

This is atrocious.

I shouldn't have watched the last 3 seasons over the last two weeks, cos its exposing how terrible this is. The structure doesn't work.

I'm approaching the end of the third episode and while I don't think it's absolutely terrible, I don't really like the format.

Jesus fucking Christ, Portia de Rossi (Lindsay) has aged TERRRIBLY. She used to look so good! oO It's insane how much (and how poorly) she has aged in only 6 years.

Also, after 3 episodes I can safely say that this new format just does not work as well. The quality is there, but in the wrong format.

Still awesome and better than anything else on TV right now, though. :p Enjoying it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom