• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrested Development |OT| Season 4 - May 26 - Netflix Unmakes A Huge Mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Socreges

Banned
1st and 2nd episodes were a bit weak and jumbled.

3rd episode was mostly great.

4th episode... fucking loved it.

With that, I can go to bed happy. AD is back. It's different and maybe over-produced, but I'm really starting to enjoy it.

I think the biggest problem is that the show didn't need to be trimmed for time so some scenes last longer than they otherwise should.

They aren't bad, but they'd be much better if they were a bit snappier and to the point, I think.

That said, super happy the show is back, only ep 2 was a bit of a let down from my expectations.

alazz

I agree that the show could be snappier with its delivery and development. edit: I think it's Portia's forehead, with the one haircut, and her now-blond eyebrows. She looked very different with the haircut with which she first appears.
3 eps in myself. not reading past where I should right now but:
-rhythms are way different from the 3 earlier seasons. can't call that a good or a bad thing yet, it's just different. which is odd because the one thing I kept reading from people who were at the junket and saw the first episode was "it feels exactly the same!" it doesn't. It does in a ton of ways, but it also doesn't in a ton of ways.
-the wiig and rogen segments are awful. prediction: they're clips from maeby's movie.
-don't pull out!
-episode 3 was hysterical with the music. "coincideeeence" "that's not a coincidence" "yes it issssss". in general the funniest of the first 3, and apparently 4 is even better.
they "stole" the show from fox.

Just finished episode 4 and I can't agree more. I think my problem with 1 and 2 is that they're too focused on one character, and they lack the other characters to balance each personality. Good guy Michael is great because his character becomes cynical and self-righteous around his family, which counteracts his responsible and nice attitude. The show needs the entire cast, which is why it progressively gets better, I think. This is why 3 and 4 are so much better, like the old episodes (but not quite...). Ron Howard is great.

But I can't fucking stand the Wiig and Rogen parts. I really hope your prediction is true. Their segments get zero laughs out of me and their dumb imitation expressions are awful. (Young Barry and his dad are funny, at least.) It's just Rogen being Rogen and Wiig being Wiig. Totally unnecessary and ruined the otherwise perfect flashback sequences, because nobody plays Lucile and George Sr. better than the real deals.

I agree that the show could be snappier with its delivery and development. edit: I think it's Portia's forehead, with the one haircut, and her now-blond eyebrows. She looked very different with the haircut with which she first appears.

Just finished episode 4 and I can't agree more. I think my problem with 1 and 2 is that they're too focused on one character, and they lack the other characters to balance each personality. Good guy Michael is great because his character becomes cynical and self-righteous around his family, which counteracts his responsible and nice attitude. The show needs the entire cast, which is why it progressively gets better, I think. This is why 3 and 4 are so much better, like the old episodes (but not quite...). Ron Howard is great.

But I can't fucking stand the Wiig and Rogen parts. I really hope your prediction is true. Their segments get zero laughs out of me and their dumb imitation expressions are awful. (Young Barry and his dad are funny, at least.) It's just Rogen being Rogen and Wiig being Wiig. Totally unnecessary and ruined the otherwise perfect flashback sequences, because nobody plays Lucile and George Sr. better than the real deals.

I feel like Wiig is doing a pretty spot on interpretation, but Rogen is definitely just being himself.

Empty

john slattery was great in episode 2 but the rest wasn't that good and kinda confusing.

it's strange how different it is. on one hand i applaud them for trying something ambitious but it hasn't worked yet. really looking forward to episode four judging by these impressions though.

Milchjon

So, without spoilers, are the new episodes good?

(Sorry, I don't wanna read the thread before watching it myself, but I'm just too curious)

HOLY SHIT WAIT IS TOBIAS' FEMALE FRIEND
THE DRUGGY HOOKER FROM BREAKING BAD?

edit: okay it's clearly not but she really looked like it in one scene.

Sharp

So, without spoilers, are the new episodes good?

(Sorry, I don't wanna read the thread before watching it myself, but I'm just too curious)
After five episodes: two great, two good, one meh. Some people would make one of the goods a meh. The episodes get better as you get further in.

alazz

Episode 5 is amazing so far. Oh Tobias!

I feel like Wiig is doing a pretty spot on interpretation, but Rogen is definitely just being himself.

Well I definitely agree that she's doing a better job than Rogen. Her interpretation is too air-heady wink wink with a bit of a nonchalant sarcasm, but no where near as sincerely sardonic or smooth as Jessica Walters.

Sharp

I kind of don't feel that it is worth trying to impersonate Jessica Walter. I would argue that she is the best pure actor in the entire ensemble. Cera is only slightly more natural and his range is much more limited.

bonesquad

I was a bit worried after the first two episodes, but the show had really come on after that bumpy start. There sure are a lot of famous cameos. My favorite
Conan and Andy: Just because I look at you or ask you a question doesn't mean you have to respond.

alazz

Conan and Rocky really ended 4 on a high note.

Okay, yeah, after a couple shaky setup episodes, Episode 4 knocks it out of the park.

And Episode 5's OPENING is fucking amazing
Yes! And it gets better.

I kind of don't feel that it is worth trying to impersonate Jessica Walters. I would argue that she is the best pure actor in the entire ensemble. Cera is only slightly more natural and his range is much more limited.
Yeah, this is true. While Lucille isn't necessarily my favorite character (I'm not sure I can name just one), Walters acting is my favorite of the bunch. She nails every scene she has; her delivery and expressions are superb. She plays Lucille effortlessly.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
The green screen is driving me nuts. It's so poorly done. The perspectives are all off and there are green outlines everywhere.

Kevtones

Lucille is the best actor/actress here.

Part of me thinks this is because she probably has the least going on, but also that she really nails it.

First two eps had some nice lines but they're growers at this point. A little forced and a little much but I'm glad to hear that it 'improves'. It's still 100% awesome and I'm utterly thankful it exists. Really smiled a lot :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom