• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrested Development |OT| Season 4 - May 26 - Netflix Unmakes A Huge Mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Tobias' very first moment cracked me up. David Cross owns that character.

Ep3 very minor spoiler:

Lindsey's Acting Husband

Also, is that Tobias behind her on the plane? It has to be, right?

This is brilliant. Well, besides the abysmal green screens.

Bear

Just about to start episode 10. I love how the stories are woven together, later on there are some entertaining twists on earlier episodes. My favorite character arcs so far are Gob, Tobias and George Sr.

123rl

Episode 5 absolutely blew it out of the water. I'm enjoying it so far. For a while I was worried it was going to just coast along but it's great. Hopefully it will lead to more episodes because there is still so much life left in the show

Triton55

Couple small details I noticed:

Lucille's Prisoner Number is 07734, ie HELLO

Lindsay's campaign banner for Lucille is on the back of the "You're killing me, Buster!" banner.

Gangy 4: Facelift from the check sounds like a movie title for the "Gangy" series Maeby created.

Any others you guys caught?

Couple small details I noticed:

Lucille's Prisoner Number is 07734, ie HELLO

Lindsay's campaign banner for Lucille is on the back of the "You're killing me, Buster!" banner.

Any others you guys caught?

they had another reference to Tobias being black, with Terry Crews reminding Lindsay of him

I've not been reading the comments so far to avoid spoilers so I've just popped in to record my opinion after the firet three episodes. So far I haven't been enjoying them much, and I really dislike the young Lucile/young George moments, but I am hopeful this is only temporary and knowing what happens later on will improve my opinion of the first three. The third episode was stronger than the previous two and the bizarre wall plotline in the second is the sort of ridiculous plotline I would have expected from the orginal show. I am enjoying the "showstealer" watermark whenever they take something from the original show though.

taoofjord

2 episodes in. They were certainly trying to do something different and I respect that... but focusing on a couple characters that almost never interact with the others is not a decision I can (or likely will) get behind. The quick pace of the show is gone too and both of these are what made Arrested Development to me.

At least it's not a progression on season 3 where the jokes are mostly repeats from better episodes.

Watched the first three episodes with my fiance and my sister. They were bored to tears and I was propelled more by residual hype than actual enjoyment. The new format feels like a bad fit for this series. The fun came from the interactions between the characters but there isn't a lot of that going on.

I know I'm still early in, but we waited 7 years for 15 new episodes, and three of them are not great.

Oh and holy crap Lyndsey looks like a different actress, jeez

2 episodes in. They were certainly trying to do something different and I respect that... but focusing on a couple characters that almost never interact with the others is not a decision I can (or likely will) get behind. The quick pace of the show is gone too and both of these are what made Arrested Development to me.

At least it's not a progression on season 3 where the jokes are mostly repeats from better episodes.

Yeah, the new episodes are like 50% longer than the original ones but cover a lot less ground. They aren't nearly as dense, which was another hallmark of the series.

Sharp

Watched the first three episodes with my fiance and my sister. They were bored to tears and I was propelled more by residual hype than actual enjoyment. The new format feels like a bad fit for this series. The fun came from the interactions between the characters but there isn't a lot of that going on.

I know I'm still early in, but we waited 7 years for 15 new episodes, and three of them are not great.

Oh and holy crap Lyndsey looks like a different actress, jeez
Watch episode 4.

Feep

Banned
I agree with everyone that the first two or three episodes seemed a little off, but then it got crazy good. Gob and Tobias' episodes in particular were fantastic.

Also, I wasn't prepared for how much AD there is! I thought it was gonna be 22 minutes each, I'm getting over 50% more AD than I bargained for. Amazing.

Incredibly ambitious, as well. Everything is so fucking tied together. Must have been a continuity nightmare getting it all straight.

Looking forward to finishing it tomorrow! For now, time to sleep. zzzzz

Okay, yeah, after a couple shaky setup episodes, Episode 4 knocks it out of the park.

And Episode 5's OPENING is fucking amazing
My party literally clapped after this opening. It was spectacular.

oatmeal

Banned
Maebe episode is great.

Fuck it's all so good. My God.

(Edit)
Can't remember which is which. I'm going to rewatch tomorrow.

Watched the first two episode so far. I thought #1 was a bit awkward in terms of catching people up, but found it to be very funny. The second, not so much. I barely laughed. But still hopeful for the rest -- can't wait to see Tobias and more of GOB!

Sharp

Just FYI (this isn't much of a spoiler) there isn't a lot of young Lucille / young George after the first two episodes. Also, since it bears repeating every few posts, wait until episode 4.

Holy shit that twist

Okay I think I need to take a break... AD overload. Only four more to go.

Robot Pants

Yea after the first two the show really starts to get great. I feel bad for judging it so quickly.
It is still very different though.

Sharp

Yea after the first two the show really starts to get great. I feel bad for judging it so quickly.
It is still very different though.
Yeah. I think as overambitious and high-concept as it sounds, it really does work best when treated as one giant eight hour episode. And I think they did largely pull it off, despite some weak episodes near the beginning (and IMO the Lucille one near the end as well) which had a ton of exposition. They definitely didn't lean on old jokes and callbacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom