• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrested Development |OT| Season 4 - May 26 - Netflix Unmakes A Huge Mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Episode 5

The mailman funeral and the mst3k parts

and the ss bands

and the straight bait

This is great.

Some of you people would never have been happy.

The problem with the season is that none of the characters are strong enough to carry an episode on their own, it was the interplay of all the family members that made the show work. Having each episode focus entirely on one person was a big misstep.

Gob is, I think.

I also think Maeby and George Michael have changed enough that their stories didn't feel stretched or unnecessary. Most of the others though I can't say that for.

The problem with the season is that none of the characters are strong enough to carry an episode on their own, it was the interplay of all the family members that made the show work. Having each episode focus entirely on one person was a big misstep.

michael is a strong enough character IMO thats about it his episodes didn't live up to it though

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
they did this on the original show a lot too
It was one of the worst things about the show, but you could accept it as a necessary concession for the broadcast tv audience, since the humour is so reliant on backstory and running gags. There was no need for it in a Netflix series that's only being watched by fans.

Gob's episode was a good example of opposite ways to do callbacks/references/running jokes.

The big Her? In the church was so in my face I didn't find it as funny if they just left it out and instead kept it to Preacher Veal saying the name of the church. I thought to myself, "Aww, that would've been a great joke to pick up on a secon time around" without having the big sign there.

The better one (imo ofc) was during Gob's inability to be overshadowed on camera or when there's any attention on him by standing up and announcing a trick. Loved the original scene in the 1st season with Marta.

Bacon

It was one of the worst things about the show, but you could accept it as a necessary concession for the broadcast tv audience, since the humour is so reliant on backstory and running gags. There was no need for it in a Netflix series that's only being watched by fans.
They more than likely had to appeal to the "least common denominator," for lack of a better term, who are watching the eps at a much slower pace than the diehards. Anecdotal evidence, but my parents probably watch one episode every couple of nights, so it will be helpful to keep them caught up with the gags and the plot.

Just finished the pilot. I don't like the focus on one character per episode format already. Wish they had just done it like the previous three seasons.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Picking up where I left off last night. GOB's day. STEVE HOLT!

I'm continuing on :)

We have been in sync all night.
I know. I know. I wish I could have kept going for 3 more hours but I am so tired now and just got up at 4PM. I'm in Eastern. I wish they'd have released them at midnight Eastern I wouldn't have the problem. But no big deal. I will be rewatching this entire thing at least once or twice more this week alone.

Just finished ep 5

A few random things:
-Tobias and Linds having that convo walking through that giant house was great
-The duck LOL
-"fucking anal tart"
-Also, I know this is because of the format and his time will come, but I've seen about 5 total seconds of GOB in 5 episodes. CRIMINAL!

Ceebs

Just finished the season. Everything from Maeby's episode to the end were fantastic. All the build up really paid off at the end.

Geek

Ninny Prancer
I'm coming to grips with the quality and compromises of S4, but not really enjoying it so much. I struggled to continue watching GOB's episode, because the wedding scene was so incredibly forced it was bumming me out.

That said, when I realized that was
Steve Holt he was talking to at the bar (dude's barely recognizable)
, that felt really good.

I kind of wish they cut a lot of these episodes down to 22-24 minutes. There's a lot of heavy handed joke repetition that kills the pace for me.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Oh come on...
COME ON!

No seriously, people are actually disappointed? I mean, I think this is just as awesome as the original was. The format is different, but for me it works so well. I don't see any problem at all and I love it. I'm on episode 11 right now with GOB. Only 4 more left but I'm glad to see it ends really strongly.

GOB and Wonder are amazing. Hahaha.. SAME!

Finished. Was okay. But I definitely don't like the format of concentrating on one character at a time, the extra length in scenes and the more 'in your face' jokes. I think it works better when they are all together rather one Bluth character going off on their own and occasionally interacting with one other Bluth.

What I missing about episode 4 that you guys are raving about? I felt it was the worst episode of the first four.

About to start episode 5

Well just finished the last episode. I enjoyed it for the most part, but couldn't help but feel disappointed with the ending. More detailed thoughts:

The lack of resolution at the end was really off-putting. While going through the season, I thought they were doing a really great job layering plotlines and building up to the big Cinco event at the pier. It really seemed like a great way to take advantage of the Netflix format, knowing that many people would be watching the episodes back to back and that this narrative probably wouldn't work as well on a weekly television show. However, to just leave so much left open at the end made the season feel incomplete.

I also really disliked the direction of Michael's character. In the past, he was always the good intentions character, oblivious to the fact that he was just as dysfunctional as the rest of the family. He's still oblivious to the repercussions of his actions, but he no longer had that good will in this season, which takes away the charm of his character. I know this was probably to display his similarities to George Sr. and probably a set up to bring back the old Michael in a follow up season or movie as he tries to repair the relationship between his son (and in turn, the rest of the family). But taking away the 'straight man' character of the show really affected the dynamic of the interactions, and I think it took away some of the audience's ability to relate.

Just my initial thoughts, and despite my criticisms above, I still enjoyed this season for the most part. I caught myself laughing out loud quite a bit, especially through the middle section of the season.

9 episodes in.

Would probably put it on par with Season 3.

Some stuff is amazing, and cracking me up, other things are just weak.

But I can totally even tell that I'm giving some of the weaker points a pass due to fanboyism. The whole shots that occur immediately after the ending of season 3 but with them all looking older is a reallll stretch that I've just been ignoring because fuck do I love these characters.

Real Hero

Watched to ep 10 and loving it. it is basically a different show in terms of style and pacing but I don't care as long as its funny, which it is.

Couldn't sleep very well and ended up watching quite a bit more last night than intended.

my opinion so far for those interested (spoiler free of course)

Overall, Superb. A little less straight out jokes, punchlines and setups but the humour comes from the coincidences and chronology, which i think really gives this season a fresh take. The sheer size of each characters story arc is nothing short of extremely impressive, and feels like there is simple just more content and more nuances to discover with everyone which makes me very excited to finish off, and immediately re-watch.
Would have liked a little more Tony Hale and Alia Shawkat, but i understand they are in the final episodes more.

I do really enjoy how we relate and sympathize with the characters in a very different way.

NYR

The audio mix and re-dubbing of lines post production are just awful.

The narration on top of dialogue is really bad, it is out of sync or just mixed poorly. The music is way too loud too. Really amateur stuff.

I'm up to episode 7 and it's amusing but never laugh-out-loud funny yet. It seems that Hurwitz is as meticulous as ever with his inside jokes and plotting, as we'll see the end/beginning of jokes in other episodes, but it just hasn't struck a truly hilarious chord for me yet.

The audio mix and re-dubbing of lines post production are just awful.

The narration on top of dialogue is really bad, it is out of sync or just mixed poorly. The music is way too loud too. Really amateur stuff.

Yeah, it's really bad but I expected it going in considering how it was created.

Eventually the season pulls together and the last episode or two feature the full cast, right? They can't do the character specific thing all the way to ep15 can they?

NYR

Not seen this other than when the characters are saying the exact same thing as the narrator, which is obviously done on purpose.
I'm not even talking about when that happens, though. Example with no spoilers - when Lindsey is outside of the hotel with Terry Crews, the narrarator is speaking over top of Terry Crews' line. It is not even remotely the same thing being said, just a bad mix or bad syncing.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Just finished watching Ep 4. Best one thus far. And Judy Greer really looks great in this one, much better than Portia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom