• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrested Development |OT| Season 4 - May 26 - Netflix Unmakes A Huge Mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, is it just me or is this season way darker than the original series? Some of the stuff happening to Tobias and GOB in particular is almost more depressing than funny.

GOB's first (only?) episode... wow.

Probably my favourite AD episode ever.

I laughed my ass off several times in that episode, it showed off GOB so well. His minute long "shu..should..shouldashlould" breakdown was amazing, and I lost it at "I thought that was a real guy" when pointing at the Jesus painting.

I think it's pretty good. A lot of people are being really critical because of the format (I think some of those complaints are valid), but I'm glad to have this show back.

I've watched the first three episodes.

The first episode was great. I feel like the other two were kind of iffy, mostly due to there being so little interaction between the main characters, which is one of the best aspects of AD.

I see the next episode is a Michael episode, so I'm more excited for this one.

Just finished episode 5, it was the first episode that I really loved. It had so many clever moments, especially the "yes, Maebe" line near the end.

I liked S4 overall, although I feel a little burned by the end
Definitely just feels like the setup for a movie, and who knows how long it might take for that to happen. S3's closer was a lot better.

A lot of really great moments overall, I don't think that this was ever gonna match up to the ideal image of S4 I had in my head, but it comes pretty damn close considering the things that had to fall into place for this to even happen.

saunderez

I think it's pretty good. A lot of people are being really critical because of the format (I think some of those complaints are valid), but I'm glad to have this show back.

It is. Takes 4-5 eps for everything to start coming together but it really is good once the overlapping storylines get fleshed out.

5 episodes in

1 was great
2 was mediocre
3 was okay
4 was good
5 was great

It seems to start a little slow and getting used to the format is different (longer episodes, less interaction), but I like where it's heading. Not as good as past episodes imo, but watching new episodes of this show again feels great. I also kept my expectations in check.

Levi

Banned
I liked the Michael episodes the best, followed closely by the GOB and Maebe episodes. There were looong stretches without any laughs, sadly, but I laughed hard frequently enough to call this season a success.

lefantome

Just finished episode 5, it was the first episode that I really loved. It had so many clever moments, especially the "yes, Maebe" line near the end.

yes it was awesome, one of the best episode ever imho.

I had some problems in the first episodes because of the new concept. I prefer the old one though.

Where is GOB? I don't care about pop pop!
Tomorrow episode 6!

AColdDay

Watched the first two episodes today. At first the darker tone (it's hard to deal with Michael being so pathetic in the first episode) and different format was difficult to deal with, but I am enjoying it so far. So happy to see new episodes of Arrested Development!

Sanjuro

Just finished the season. It's standard Arrested Development fare, better than than season three by a good margin.

The production values are awful though, but don't really bring it down a great deal. Editing is the number one culprit. Many dialog gaffes.

Yeah that ending. And now it's time to GIF stuff.

iw3yhA7q9uB4h.gif

destrudo

So I'm on episode 10 now and I'm pretty disappointed so far (que people saying my expectations are too high, or that I'm too tired, or that I need to watch it again before saying anything) but the glaring issue is that the cast just isn't together enough. My favorite part of the show was how all the actors played off each other and while there's still a bit of that there's only a couple scenes throughout the whole season where all the characters are actually together in one place. It's like watching a bunch of spin off shows and I just don't think the side characters work well enough on their own. The only episodes that were really good were the ones focusing on Michael (with maybe Gob and Tobias coming close). I've heard the Maebe episode is good, but I haven't gotten to it yet.

It's sad because the season is incredibly complex and the jokes are as meticulously written as ever but I'm actually finding it hard to concentrate because it's just not bringing me into it the way the earlier seasons did. I'll wait till I finish before I can really get into it, but for now it's just not working for me.

Yeah that ending. And now it's time to GIF stuff.

iw3yhA7q9uB4h.gif

Literally watching this ep when you posted. My favorite part of the whole damn series so far.

It's like there's three major things where everybody's at, and the rest is just them doing their own thing. A lot more fleshing out, which I like a ton.

Also they went freaking next level shit with all the running gags

~Kinggi~

Banned
Can't believe im saying this, but the first two episodes. My god, just awful. Thats after marathoning season 3 in prep for this. Felt tired and not funny. Ill finish it out of course but i mean, this is actually a disappointment. And im really bummed by the character specific episode format. I did not know that at all going into it.

Robot Pants

Wow, is it just me or is this season way darker than the original series? Some of the stuff happening to Tobias and GOB in particular is almost more depressing than funny.
Yea this one is way darker than the original. I kinda like it

So they are just gonna end it like that?

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Can't believe im saying this, but the first two episodes. My god, just awful. Thats after marathoning season 3 in prep for this. Felt tired and not funny. Ill finish it out of course but i mean, this is actually a disappointment. And im really bummed by the character specific episode format. I did not know that at all going into it.
It gets progressively better. Stick with it.

TUSR

Banned
Are spoilers allowed now? I've just seen a couple in the last few posts.

This thread will follow standard GAF-TV protocol: Once the episodes are up simultaneously on Netflix on May 26, spoilers are fair game.

I advise those who don't want to be spoiled to stay away from the thread until you have completed watching the entire season OR you can join CrunchyFrog's "The Arrested Development Season 4 Endurance Run Thread of Savoring the Happy" thread which will be viewing one episode per day.

Read the OP.

Manu

Watched up to Ep. 3 and I feel it's just picking up now.

I felt the first episodes were so busy trying to explain things at times they forgot to be funny.

The Method One Clinic bit was great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom