• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrested Development |OT| Season 4 - May 26 - Netflix Unmakes A Huge Mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mudkips

Banned
The audio mix and re-dubbing of lines post production are just awful.

The narration on top of dialogue is really bad, it is out of sync or just mixed poorly. The music is way too loud too. Really amateur stuff.

The ADR stuff is far less offensive than it was the original run.
I didn't have any problem with the narration or music. There are scenes where the dialog is lower and there's narration over it, but that's intentional. They're lines that are clear in other episodes.

Loved it. No idea what the haters are complaining about, there's tons of great, subtle stuff in there.

Additional hints about Tobias being black, hints about Lucille 2 being Lindsay's real mother, the mail trucks at the cemetery (for Pete's funeral), Buster calling Lucille the defend-aunt (she's his uncle's wife), Ann sabotaging Gob's trick, Sit Down Shut Up seen on the TV, Ron Howard's grandson being named Lem (Lunar Excursion Module), etc., etc.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Wow, the last episode ends in such a weird way.

Overall I really liked season 4 even with its faults. Must have laughed out loud on average at least two to three times an episode.

Not getting these character interaction complaints. Loved the shit out of these episodes, the only exception being the Buster episode which I thought was kinda weak.

I'm really loving the season so far, but I can't help but think there's going to be an amazing fan-edit of it some time down the line.

So many scenes just need a few seconds trimmed off to be perfect.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Not getting these character interaction complaints. Loved the shit out of these episodes, the only exception being the Buster episode which I thought was kinda weak.
Really? I thought it was one of the best. The season overall needed more Buster. I'd preferred one less George Senior episode for a second Buster ep.

iammeiam

Just finished it--I do think the casting challenges hurt it, because as noted splitting everyone off on their own did noticeably change the feel. I think things being extended for the extra episodes combined with the length also changed the feel substantially. It does get stronger as it goes, up until the ending which is just... Eh. It does really hammer home that season 4 exists solely as a bridge to the theoretical eventual movie.

That said, I did really enjoy it and it felt fairly in-line with the original series--the differences in feel seemed more down to the format than the long break, and everyone seemed pretty in-tune with their characters. Watching everything pull together was great, and I thought they used the archival footage fairly appropriately.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Up to Episode 4 aaaand... I am not feeling it. Something isn't clicking. Its good but not AD good right now.

Robot Pants

As much as I hated the show being canceled originally, I was very happy with the way it ended and wrapped up very nicely. Very few shows get to do that and do it well.
So when I first heard they were bringing it back I kinda was wondering "why?", it ended well and my fear was that the new stuff would kind of taint the memory so to speak.

So, while I really did enjoy season 4 despite it being very different, it did end very abruptly.
So I hope there is gonna be more.... or at least something to close it up.

Holy crap, there are not many callbacks to the original series, but where there are, there are.

Wait, I thought Steve Holt was not in this!

oatmeal

Banned
I love that Steve has lost his hair (obviously fake). But remember back in season 3 "Is my hair gonna look like that?"

Yes. Of course, you've chunked up like mad so you look 40.

People need to stop bemoaning the lack of subtlety, there's a lot here. Season 3 was full of over-narration explaining a joke.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Holy crap, there are not many callbacks to the original series, but where there are, there are.

Wait, I thought Steve Holt was not in this!
There are tons of callbacks. The one well known gag that had little prominence was the chicken dance. I only saw it referred to once and by a character who never performed a dance in the first three seasons.

Also, maybe I missed it, but I don't know what happened to
Lucille 2 at the May 4th party. I thought Buster saw her laying on the bloody stair car before disappearing. I don't believe that much blood was Michael's.

oatmeal

Banned
There are tons of callbacks. The one well known gag that had little prominence was the chicken dance. I only saw it referred to once and by a character who never performed a dance in the first three seasons.

Also, maybe I missed it, but I don't know what happened to
Lucille 2 at the May 4th party. I thought Buster saw her laying on the bloody stair car before disappearing. I don't believe that much blood was Michael's.

Did you tune in to the "on the next" on the last episode?

It references it, so obviously it's a hanging plotline that they are leaving for the next season/movie.

RDreamer

First episode was decent, though probably a bit more awkward than funny. It's weird seeing Michael so pathetic. I'm not sure I liked it. He was kind of the grounding character for the series. If he's crazy like the rest of them I'm not sure it works as well. I mean, obviously he had his moments, but nothing as bad as that episode. Still, there were some pretty good moments.

Wife and I actually fell asleep during episode 2, though... I'm not sure what that says, if anything. We'll watch more later, though.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Yes.

There's like 1:45 roughly of "On the next..."
Ah I didn't see how long the credits went on for.
First episode was decent, though probably a bit more awkward than funny. It's weird seeing Michael so pathetic. I'm not sure I liked it. He was kind of the grounding character for the series. If he's crazy like the rest of them I'm not sure it works as well. I mean, obviously he had his moments, but nothing as bad as that episode.
Same. It almost seemed like a statement that he needed the family or he would fall apart. It was proposed in a prior season by Lindsey or Lucille after his repeated threats to leave.

Oh, so we're not supposed to know what happened to
Lucille 2
? I thought I had missed something.

Though it was surreal how
her body seemed to disappear in front of Buster in a matter of seconds
. I don't think they should have shown that if we're not supposed to know what happened yet.

oatmeal

Banned
Oh, so we're not supposed to know what happened to
Lucille 2
? I thought I had missed something.

Though it was surreal how
her body seemed to disappear in front of Buster in a matter of seconds
. I don't think they should have shown that if we're not supposed to know what happened yet.

Yeah, I think they're saving that for the eventual next season/movie.

Jimothy

I'm on episode 8 and the only episodes I've really liked were GOB's and Tobias'. I'm really not sure why they went with one character episodes this time around. Also, Michael is really weird this season. He brought a dose of reality to the series before, now he's just as crazy as the rest of his family. Rooming with his son at college? the fuck.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
Just finished. Really liked it, but they better damn well do the movie / another season... The ending wasn't as wrapped up like season 3 was.

Also, why was Michael wearing the Banana Stand shirt when they never mentioned it or showed that he had gone there :/

I was hoping the roommate would
be Anyong
.... So much left unfinished.

ivysaur12

Banned
I'm on episode 8 and the only episodes I've really liked were GOB's and Tobias'. I'm really not sure why they went with one character episodes this time around. Also, Michael is really weird this season. He brought a dose of reality to the series before, now he's just as crazy as the rest of his family. Rooming with his son at college? the fuck.

It's been well documented why the season is structured the way it is.

Oh dear lord, an albino black man joke.

Was Tobias black when they met?

Oh dear lord, Lindsey is only attracted to black men. It makes so much sense.

Michael has always been as crazy as the rest of them. This is nothing new.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom