• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrested Development |OT| Season 4 - May 26 - Netflix Unmakes A Huge Mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.
The structure of this season is the strongest thing about it.

That and seeing michaels deceased wife. Golly that was awesome. I look forward to re-watching these with my roommates soon.
Lol wat. I came for the funny, not to watch Crash. I don't care that George Sr just missed Gob in the convenience store. Hurwitz spent 99% of his time making the stories connect and 1% on jokes. And most of the jokes that are there are just replicates from S1-3. I'm not even dissapointed, just completely bored.

oatmeal

Banned
This new format idea was completely retarded. The writing is as good as (or very very close) the old seasons, but it just doesn't work it's magic when they spread it out like this. It was an ensemble cast show, goddamnit!

I was particularly pissed about Buster's near-total absence until episode 10. Almost 5 hours into the season and he's had less than 5 mins airtime? It's just not right...

My congratulations to the writing team, they did it again.

As for whoever the retard (I'm assuming it was Hurwitz... no surprises there) that decided to switch over to this character-centric format is, what the fucking fuck, dude? Why would you blemish something this good in such an unecessary way?

The whole Rashomon thing is cute, but ultimately proves quite fruitless, from a humor POV.

All in all, I'm quite pleased... but can't help but feel that had it been shot in it's traditional format, it would've been quite more satisfying.

Like anyone would want to R him.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Curb Your Enthusiasm reference with Jeff Garlin. That was one of the greatest moments for me. Would have been only made better by a LD cameo.

Lol wat. I came for the funny, not to watch Crash. I don't care that George Sr just missed Gob in the convenience store. Hurwitz spent 99% of his time making the stories connect and 1% on jokes. And most of the jokes that are there are just replicates from S1-3. I'm not even dissapointed, just completely bored.

I agree with this sentiment. Way too much energy was wasted on the story (which is and has always been irrelevant... the acknowledgment of that is what made AD so good to begin with, they didn't care about the story, it was all about the jokes). Hurwitz is a talentless retard who lucked out with the writing team he got working with him in AD. All the man ever created is shit except for AD, and AD was only fantastic because of the writing. The concept and the story were just about as uninteresting as could be. For fuck's sake, what was the point.

Anyway, for what it's worth, I think it's still awesome as is. Just not the same levels of awesome.

This new format idea was completely retarded. The writing is as good as (or very very close) the old seasons, but it just doesn't work it's magic when they spread it out like this. It was an ensemble cast show, goddamnit!

I was particularly pissed about Buster's near-total absence until episode 10. Almost 5 hours into the season and he's had less than 5 mins airtime? He's like the 3rd most popular character!! It's just not right...

My congratulations to the writing team, they did it again.

As for whoever the retard (I'm assuming it was Hurwitz... no surprises there) that decided to switch over to this character-centric format is, what the fucking fuck, dude? Why would you blemish something this good in such an unecessary way?

The whole Rashomon thing is cute, but ultimately proves quite fruitless, from a humor POV.

All in all, I'm quite pleased... but can't help but feel that had it been shot in it's traditional format, it would've been quite more satisfying.

Way to keep it classy dude.

How many have you watched? While watching episode 2, I was thinking "Uh oh"...by the end of 4 I was 100% on board.

I'm on 6 right now. There are some funny jokes but I really miss seeing them all together. They really played off well off each other and it shows when they're alone because some of the jokes feel stale when it's just them

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Curb Your Enthusiasm reference with Jeff Garlin. That was one of the greatest moments for me. Would have been only made better by a LD cameo.
That was too perfect. I wish I were home right now so I could gif a lot of these scenes. I have a growing list on my phone sitting at 20+ right now.

oatmeal

Banned
I'm on 6 right now. There are some funny jokes but I really miss seeing them all together. They really played off well off each other and it shows when they're alone because some of the jokes feel stale when it's just them

I agree that it's at its best when they have each other to bounce off, but I think when you get through Gob's episode and the pieces fall together that this is just as solid overall.

It could only work on Netflix, though. This would NOT work week to week.

wenis

How many episodes did it take you guys to get used to Lindsay's new face?!
1st episode. I'm not saying I wasn't crazy attracted to her before, but I'm still quite attracted to her now.

Especially with the shorter hair. She could build a fence around me all she wants.

Holy shit that was fantastic, just powered through all of it. BUT THAT ENDING, GODDAMMIT THAT ENDING!!!

Edit: I agree that once you hit GOB's episode everything falls into place. It's by far the funniest of the first half plus by then the layered storylines have built enough for everything to click.

Way to keep it classy dude.

What term would you use to describe the decision? Unwise is way too light. Stupid is too kind.
Acephalic is too verbose. Retarded sounds just about right. I have absolutely no respect for Hurwitz. AD is (by a huge margin) my favourite comedy anything ever, but he played little to no part in it's brilliance, to be honest.

Although you have a point, I should mind my language now I'm a junior again. =/

Just watched the first episode of Season 4. Really good, but it was mostly a setup for the rest of the episodes it seems. I can't believe that a Season 4 actually exists. Netflix, I love you.

fleck0

Finished episode 9, loving it all so far, was glad leave catch-up mode on ep 4 though. I can't fault anyone for not liking the structure change. Had to take a break because ep 9 had my favorite moment so far -

"Hello Anustart"

"And she never even saw the license plate"

What term would you use to describe the decision? Unwise is way too light. Stupid is too kind.
Acephalic is too verbose. Retarded sounds just about right. I have absolutely no respect for Hurwitz. AD is (by a huge margin) my favourite comedy anything ever, but he played little to no part in it's brilliance, to be honest.

Bad.

But by all means don't do that.

oatmeal

Banned

HAHAHAHAHAAHAH

I know I don't need to tag it, but last episode spoilers. If you haven't seen it, bailout now

OH GOD ANONYMOUS IS AFTER GEORGE MICHAEL RUNNNNNN

Michael is a straight up bastard for playing along with the whole not knowing thing, you damn liar

OH GEORGE MICHAEL CAUGHT HIM. BOPPED THE SHIT OUT OF HIM

Iksenpets

Banned

I will never forgive you for the images Google showed me when I googled "acephalic".

Seriously, don't google it!

sdornan

C'mon!

I'm only 3 episodes in but I do like new episode structure, but I don't know if I like it better than the standard structure.

One thing I'm starting to appreciate is the need to edit things down to a tight broadcast schedule. All of these episodes so far would benefit greatly from being cut down by 5-7 minutes. A lot of scenes really overstay their welcome.

IceCold

I just finished the season and I'm annoyed that I feel disappointed by it. I really wanted to love it but it's just not as funny as the previous seasons. Like others have mentioned before, it seems that Hurwitz focused more on interweaving the story lines than creating actual jokes. The lack of Buster kinda shocked me (he had his episode but then maybe 5-10 mins of screen time in all the others combined) and the obvious green screen scenes were distracting. I guess Hurwitz had to change the format of the show since it would have been so hard to have all the cast members available at the same time. I heard that shooting the actual show was a clusterfuck due to this. But I'll re-watch the season at a slower pace to see if I'll enjoy it more.

Also Isla Fisher is (still) hot as hell and Portia de Rossi and Liza Minnelli ruined their faces with plastic surgery.

Brinbe

Only have 14/15 left... holy shit, guys/gals, I don't want this to end. =(

Also, I think Gob's ep (#11) is by far the best so far. His "scene" with Wonder and the masks just absolutely killed me. Fucking killed me.

Same... same.... same.

"How do you like your egg"

Oh god, I'm dying

The best part of the old show was all the characters interacting with each other, this barely has happened so far. Lost a lot of the laughs.

There are so, so many plot lines left dangling. They have to be planning either another series or the movie. The whole Tony Wonder - Sally Sitwell bedroom scene goes absolutely nowhere but so much focus is put on it, they have to have something to do with Lucile 2s vanishing.

IceCold

Oh and I find it weird that Hurwitz showed many scenes in this season that happened right after the end of season 3. A lot of the actors have aged considerably since then.

wenis

Oh and I find it weird that Hurwitz showed many scenes in this season that happened right after the end of season 3. A lot of the actors have aged considerably since then.
Because writing against a 7 year gap would be a lot more challenging with less of a payoff f we don't see where these characters were coming from and what their motivations are going to be for the movie and probably another season.

HAHAHAHAHAAHAH

After watching the old seasons 5 times along with all the nifty little extras, following Hurwitz's lousy career (all the man is ever involved with is junk) and checking out the writing staff's future and past accomplishments,that's my sincere conclusion. Golden Girls? Ellen Show? Sit Down Shut Up? Not to mention that horrible adaptation of The Thick Of It he made, dear god, what an atrocity. I see no value in him. =/

I thought it worked fine with everyone except Tobias and George Michael. Tobias got fat and George Michael went from fairly handsome kid to old grandma.

So I think Season 4 "works" when it's set up like the old seasons, and misses a lot of the rest of the time.

There aren't as many cut away gags as there used to be, but the few that do exist are some of the funniest moments (Funke Thanksgiving miracle).

When they do manage to get two + of the old cast together, everything works. But that's rare too. I can't believe that some of these terrible new background characters are going to have more screen time than main characters. Debris? Her? I can't believe how much time she gets.

Not as much use of "archive" footage either.

I've only watched the first three episodes. So far some good laughs but ultimately I feel the format is letting it down. Doesn't feel the same as the old stuff. I was never too bothered about getting a fourth season in the first place, and so far I feel like maybe they'd of been better off leaving it at three.

However, I'll leave my final judgement until the end. That's just I feel at this point.

oatmeal

Banned
After watching the old seasons 5 times along with all the nifty little extras, following Hurwitz's lousy career (all the man is ever involved with is junk) and checking out the writing staff's future and past accomplishments,that's my sincere conclusion. Golden Girls? Ellen Show? Sit Down Shut Up? Not to mention that horrible adaptation of The Thick Of It he made, dear god, what an atrocity. I see no value in him. =/

Only 5 times?

So you are just a casual fan.

Makes sense.

Liza ruined her face with being born ugly, the poor thing. I love her, but she's always been... let's "unique". =/
Lol mean dude.

But Liza seriously is one of the best secondary characters on the show. She is amazing. She did have some major work done since the show ended though.

Wish more women would look at Julia Louis Dreyfus, Isla Fisher, Christine Taylor, Judy Greer and see how hot you can look when approaching 40 or well over it (in Julia's case being 52) without all this surgery.

These 4 probably have had some work done but it isn't drastic or noticeable. I'd stick it to all of them.

oatmeal

Banned
I've only watched the first three episodes. So far some good laughs but ultimately I feel the format is letting it down. Doesn't feel the same as the old stuff. I was never too bothered about getting a fourth season in the first place, and so far I feel like maybe they'd of been better off leaving it at three.

However, I'll leave my final judgement until the end. That's just I feel at this point.

The first three are not nearly as good as the rest.

We need to put that in the title "Netflix Unmakes A Huge Mistake - Wait Until Episode 4"

wenis

These 4 probably have had some work done but it isn't drastic or noticeable. I'd stick it to all of them.
Or would you stick it to them if they looked like you while you looked like them so that you'd be having sex with yourself but looking like them?

oatmeal

Banned
I think it's funny how simliar Jessica Walter looks...until you realize her cheeks have no texture so they used fairly heavy skin softening filters in post.

Welp just finished season 4 because like many of you I'm a Arressted Developement whore and watched it all in one sitting, the only thing left to do now is watch it all over again!

Only 5 times?

So you are just a casual fan.

Makes sense.

Ahah, you gotta give other comedies a chance sometimes. :p How many for you?

C'mon, let's be honest... If he was the one behind the greatness how come he's never done anything good before or after? Meanwhile the rest of the writers are people who had worked on stuff like the Larry Sanders Show, South Park, Futurama or Family Guy and went on to work on 30 Rock, Community or Modern Family.

oatmeal

Banned
Ahah, you gotta give other comedies a chance sometimes. :p How many for you?

C'mon, let's be honest... If he was the one behind the greatness how come he's never done anything good before or after? Meanwhile the rest of the writers are people who had worked on stuff like the Larry Sanders Show, South Park, Futurama or Family Guy and went on to work on 30 Rock, Community or Modern Family.

Well, you'd think that Netflix would have wanted more than just Mitch writing on this if he was as talentless as you claim.

Oh wait, they had a team of writers...most of which worked on the series?

Odd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom