• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrested Development |OT| Season 4 - May 26 - Netflix Unmakes A Huge Mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mudkips

Banned
Perfect.

No, I meant something obvious that I overlooked, something conclusive I guess that leaves it less open.

He's telling you. Buster saw her body for a second, then it disappeared.
Who do you think could have been quick enough and skilled enough to disappear a body between fireworks?

Always funny when a joke just clicks in my head at a random time.

Rebel (Alley)

Dove (Bar)

What? When was Rebel tagged as (Alley)?

iammeiam

The whole thing with marky and debris was awful, tobias episode was the worst.

The biggest problem with the character-centric format is that it made the characters and storylines that didn't work as well (Debris) worse because they were such a focus in their episodes. I don't think Debris would have been a good character under the more chronological format, but she'd have been more spread out and seemed like less of a focus and so less of a drag.

Always funny when a joke just clicks in my head at a random time.

Rebel (Alley)

Dove (Bar)

MGA9ou4.png

Hm.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_Lunar_Module

"He probably makes like $8,000 a day!!" Also, the scene where Conan berates him then hires that woman as a writer was priceless.

For those who complained about the narration: I thought they used it to masterful effect. Like when the nurse asks GM who he wants to list as his emergency contact, and he emotionally responds "My dad..." Then while Ron Howard begins talking you can barely make out her responding, "We need an actual--"

Umm, what? Six words: How To Entrap a Local Predator

Well some of the hijinks that were a result of that arc were great, just that arc itself with those two characters and tobias and lindsey were pretty long in the tooth and the interactions between those characters didnt really work for me.

Jeramii

Banned
Probably Gob's biggest mistake

8H0PthW.png

This was my favorite scene in the entire season 4, and this episode is now my favorite of the series. The whole episode got out of hand so fast, and was so perfect.

I always loved the Tony Wonder bits from the original series.

edit:
I also enjoyed this entire episode:
EC2SqjP.jpg

The "Video Game" scene was so awful, and hilarious. haha.

"Boy George, George Michael, more than a name in common"

A reference to Ron Howards actually childrens names like Bryce (Dallas) Howard who was conceived in Dallas Texas.

Or is it a reference to his wife Cheryl Alley? lol

Dove Bar is amazing though. (and delicious)

EDIT: Wow. From Wiki: His daughters' middle names indicate where they were conceived, Bryce in Dallas, and twins Jocelyn and Paige at the Carlyle Hotel in New York City. Son Reed Cross was named after a London street because "Volvo isn't a very good middle name", according to Howard.

He's telling you. Buster saw her body for a second, then it disappeared.
Who do you think could have been quick enough and skilled enough to disappear a body between fireworks?

I must be tired, I saw that, but im still not putting two and two together. Spell it out for me pls

Jeramii

Banned
I can't watch this till like 2 days from now and it's KILLING ME

You should get out of this thread now... Too many spoilers lurking around! Just remember, the first few episodes may have you in doubt about the new season. But stick with it and pay attention to subtle things, and you'll be very pleased in the end. Such a fantastic addition to the series.

Miguel

Reading stuff all over the internet, I like this one...

Could it be a Clue reference, in regards to Lucille being there for one set of fireworks and then gone immediately after the next?

Maeby and GOB eating Mustard + Parmesan

Martin Mull = Gene Parmesan
Martin Mull = Colonel Mustard

Well I have to say that after the adventure of watching yesterday, I am really glad they came back and thought that some of the episodes were top tier of the entire series, but it also makes me appreciate how perfect the original 3 seasons were because there were certainly some huge stinkers. I didn't like the side characters for the most part, and the problem with focusing on a character per episodes means that the episodes drag hard with uninteresting characters. Besides the references, it basically felt like a different show for the most part which is fine, but the fact of how busy everyone's schedule was certainly shine through with the lack of family scenes. Makes me realize how much I love Tobias, Gob, and Buster because their episodes were top tier arrested development of all time.

Nose Master

The green screen is driving me nuts. It's so poorly done. The perspectives are all off and there are green outlines everywhere.

Yeah, the CG sticks out like a stiff dick in some scenes. (Read: the hut.)

I'm not reading past this point in the thread (only on episode 5.) I'm not sure if I love or hate the way the first three episodes just exist to be baselines for further jokes. The first time I watched them, they felt rushed and weird. With the constant revisiting, I feel like those scenes will now be retroactively funny.

Portia's transformation is insane. She doesn't look like a usual plastic surgery train wreck, though. Just like a completely different person with her voice dubbed in. Kind of reminds me of how the real world interprets George in Dead Like Me.

I thought in the 2nd half of the season Portia looked amazing. The first half she looked like shit though.Also for the most part I have to say the product placement wasn't as bad as I feared

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
GOB/Michael, Tobias/Lindsay, George Michael/Maeby have some of the funniest intertwining episodes of the bunch, haha... Michael's main storyline isn't as funny except for the parts where it GOB is involved. George Sr. and Lucilles's episodes are pretty good but not as good as those others, haha. Definitely need more to wrap up all those lose ends. Can't wait for season 5 and/or the movie :)

GOB/Michael, Tobias/Lindsay, George Michael/Maeby have some of the funniest intertwining episodes of the bunch, haha... Michael's main storyline isn't as funny except for the parts where it GOB is involved. George Sr. and Lucilles's episodes are pretty good but not as good as those others, haha. Definitely need more to wrap up all those lose ends. Can't wait for season 5 and/or the movie :)

Speaking of which, is season 5 actually a possibility? I thought I heard this was definitely it for tv seasons?

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Argyle Austero is a fantastic character. Everything about him is just hilarious.

EDIT:

Some trivia - Marky Bark = Brian the cameraman from the office and one of the Germans from Community.

Says who?

How did Gary the gay intern not show up once this season?
aside from him doing work on other shows (modern family)

There were some hurwitz quotes in this thread and ive read elsewhere hes said he wants to do more but that it hinges on the success of this season for netflix and he obviously has ideas of where he wants to go with it.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I'm enjoying the season so far (up to episode 6) but personally I think some of the characters are really undermined by the format. Lucille is my favourite character but when she's not interacting with the family she's not funny. Her put-downs to Gob and Lindsay, her lying to Michael and mothering Buster, it's just not the same when she's cooped up in a room with just uncle-father or father-uncle for company.

I'm enjoying the season so far (up to episode 6) but personally I think some of the characters are really undermined by the format. Lucille is my favourite character but when she's not interacting with the family she's not funny. Her put-downs to Gob and Lindsay, her lying to Michael and mothering Buster, it's just not the same when she's cooped up in a room with just uncle-father or father-uncle for company.

Which makes sense because these character were never conceived to even be standalone for the most part. They can try to go back and give them personalities outside the family, but it's not nearly the same

TUSR

Banned
Same goes for Michael, his facial reactions are missed this season.
I cant decide if he was good because that episode was so shitty or if he was actually a good character.
I really didn't think much of him.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Which makes sense because these character were never conceived to even be standalone for the most part. They can try to go back and give them personalities outside the family, but it's not nearly the same

Yeah, it's inevitable and to be fair to Hurwitz he has come up with a clever way of keeping the show interesting despite the various actors schedules preventing a 'classic' format. The time-jump/flashback stuff is a good compromise.

I hope that if they do more AD after this, they can get something more traditional worked out. These characters are too damn good to be isolated like this.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Yeah, it's inevitable and to be fair to Hurwitz he has come up with a clever way of keeping the show interesting despite the various actors schedules preventing a 'classic' format. The time-jump/flashback stuff is a good compromise.

I hope that if they do more AD after this, they can get something more traditional worked out. These characters are too damn good to be isolated like this.

Yep, hoping this is so ludicrously successful so that we do get a season 5 and or movie and the actors can clear their schedule for a regular AD experience.

Stoze

Alright, finished watching the season.

The GOB episodes were fantastic, I really liked the George Michael plot-line as well. I enojyed the season overall, but I thought the longer character-centric episode format made it lose some of the Arrested Development magic and tone, and the audio mixing was pretty god damn terrible at times. I really liked how they referenced some older jokes subtly, like George Micheal's chicken dance and Mr. F. That being said there were a couple times they beat you over the head with older gags, like GOB's stuttering and too many jokes about Ann.

Loved all the cameos and the Ron Howard gags as well, and the happy days and curb your enthusiasm references were excellent.

And god damn at Isla Fisher.

I also just thought that this season ended with george michael punching someone over a girl again. That was probably my favorite part of the season, how fake block unfolded. I also really liked maebys arc, mostly because she was written into almost every arc.

Veal

Maeby was actually pretty scary in her episodes. The efficiency in which she executes her plans and her incredibly scheming ways this season made me think of Lucille and how she practically runs everything from the shadows and manipulation. She's probably going to be just like Lucille when she grows up.

Fusebox

Banned
I could have done without the new actors for young George Sr and Lucille 1, I always liked the way they did flashbacks in the past using the same actors.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Haven't watched much yet, but what was the nudity they were talking about?

Triton55

Noticed something that Michael says in the first episode while I was rewatching it.
"You wouldn't want to vote against me. What if I cracked my head open while falling down a flight of stairs, you'd feel bad about it the rest of your life." (paraphrase)

Non-spoiler thread, I know... but since it's the final episode I'll do it anyway.
Theory: Lucille 2 wasn't murdered, she just got vertigo and fell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom