• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrested Development |OT| Season 4 - May 26 - Netflix Unmakes A Huge Mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.

rouken

Watch season 3, it's almost unbearable.

Season 1 was perfect, 2 was getting a little much and 3 removed all subtlety. I wonder if that was part of the notes from FOX to make it easier to understand...because Ron is ALWAYS talking.

Whenever he starts a sentence with "Because you see..." you're in for some bullshit.

Well I like when he is talking about something funny, but in Season 4 he just narrates everything they do unlike in previous seasons where he just describes a funny thing about a person or place and gives the characters breathing room to do and say their own thing.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
What a terrible fucking ending to a mediocre at best season. God this was shit. Forgettable garbage. Season 1-3 was sullied.

development4.gif

Perfection.

Lindsay's "Lucille 2 for Congres" banner is on the back of "You're Killing Me, Buster"

So good! I was just disappointed that she said "I made you a banner" instead of "I made you banner!" lol

Is there some sort of symbolism regarding the ostrich? I mean there are references to it inside the show (michaels google car, etc) but is there some other reason?

I don't know if there was any symbolism, but it was at the very least a good mystery gag... I couldn't stop thinking of Sweet Dee honestly :3

And to self quote

Holy shit NPR "Fresh Air" is talking about Quincy Jones right now

Probably almost over. They didn't mention it, but do you think this is a nod to AD fans? Or is it just the universe giving non-fans a sign? It was an old interview (I think they're off for Memorial Day)

Gobias

Banned
What a terrible fucking ending to a mediocre at best season. God this was shit. Forgettable garbage. Season 1-3 was sullied.

I can understand not liking it. I personally think it was good, though the worst season, but how the hell does this sully the other seasons? It has like no bearing on the legacy of the first 3 seasons.

Is there some sort of symbolism regarding the ostrich? I mean there are references to it inside the show (michaels google car, etc) but is there some other reason?

Ep. 1.04 - "Key Decisions"

Lindsay: I care deeply for nature.
Michael: You're wearing ostrich-skin boots.
Lindsay: Well, I don't care about ostriches.

IceCold

I re-watched the first episode and enjoyed it much more. It helps to understand (most of) the plot already and not have your high expectations for the season distract you.

oatmeal

Banned
I love how Love does the Pretty Woman 'snap' the jewelry case and it backfires. When Dave Thomas did it in Season 3 to Rita, it worked and Rita shrieked like Julia Roberts.

I re-watched the first episode and enjoyed it much more. It helps to understand (most of) the plot already and not have your high expectations for the season distract you.

There will be a lot of this happening.

IceCold

Yea I've rewatched it since and it's hilarious now. Wasnt originally. The genius of this show

Yeah it gets better. You start to catch certain things you didn't before and you just enjoy the episode for what it is. It's a new AD season for god's sake. That alone is reason to celebrate.

It helps that I don't have a hangover or won't be re-watching all 15 episodes in one day again ;)

Arkos

Ep. 1.04 - "Key Decisions"

Lindsay: I care deeply for nature.
Michael: You're wearing ostrich-skin boots.
Lindsay: Well, I don't care about ostriches.

I love how Love does the Pretty Woman 'snap' the jewelry case and it backfires. When Dave Thomas did it in Season 3 to Rita, it worked and Rita shrieked like Julia Roberts.

2 I hadn't noticed. Beautiful

Yeah, it's certainly better on a rewatch. Although I still think that most of the Lindsay and George Sr. episodes are weak. They do have some good moments though, and fortunately you can knock them out fairly early on. The season still has its flaws, but all in all it's still pretty damn good.

Episode 13:
-Woodblock in the opening title sequence was awesome
-The 'kissing test' was hilarious
-"You're a terrible mother" LOLOLOL
-The name origin and what the app actually is was great
-"Makes $8,00 a day or something" lol Richter is amazing
-"Same taste of words"
-"Take to the sea!"

On to the Buster ep, hype train

oatmeal

Banned
What's up with the "Complete cont cont cont - GIANT - troll"?

Is it because he's so short so he is called Troll a lot...and thus doesn't like saying the word?

Stoze

Re-watching the season, episode 3 (Lindsay's first episode) was actually much better on a re-watch. There's so many moments that tie into the later episodes that are really clever (obviously), specifically the ones where the family is all together after the boat incident in the S3 finale. You can even hear George Michael and Maeby faintly cough in the background to get their parents attention, as shown later on.

Episode 2 is just bad though, probably one of the worst episodes in the series.

KingKong

Just finished the season, I feel like individual scenes and jokes were as high quality as before but this format just doesn't work for AD. It's at its best when the characters are all interacting with each other, and focusing on some characters for so long just wears thin (I love Buster and Tobias but not for that long). Also it was really frustrating to basically not have any scenes from some characters for several episodes

Also one of ADs strengths was the ability to tie separate storylines together in one or two episodes and having it happen over 15 doesnt work as well

I wonder if people could edit the episodes to tell a linear story, that would be interesting to see

e: Also, not feeling the random pointless cameos unless Jim Krasinski and Seth Rogen and the Workaholics guys agreed to work for really cheap, feels like that money could have been better spent. Terry Crews was great though

Konka

Banned
Just finished it. The new format was jarring at first. I'll give it a few weeks before a rewatch at a slower pace, one episode a night. I did enjoy it though.

Arkos

Just finished the season, I feel like individual scenes and jokes were as high quality as before but this format just doesn't work for AD. It's at its best when the characters are all interacting with each other, and focusing on some characters for so long just wears thin (I love Buster and Tobias but not for that long). Also it was really frustrating to basically not have any scenes from some characters for several episodes

Also one of ADs strengths was the ability to tie separate storylines together in one or two episodes and having it happen over 15 doesnt work as well

I wonder if people could edit the episodes to tell a linear story, that would be interesting to see

e: Also, not feeling the random pointless cameos unless Jim Krasinski and Seth Rogen and the Workaholics guys agreed to work for really cheap, feels like that money could have been better spent. Terry Crews was great though

I generally agree with your impressions, although I think I may have been more satisfied than you. I can tell you how explicitly if you like.

While it would be nice for the jokes to tie together more quickly like they used to, with long term jokes being rarer and thus more special, that's just not what this is. The first two seasons are 20+ episodes long, and that's just not very common in TV shows nowadays unless you're very very popular.

While I would also enjoy a return to the original "format," I'm very pleased with S4. It's so nice to not be let down every now and again

gnrmjd

So a friend mentioned this, and I think it's true.

Do you guys think that Parks and Recreation could have pulled off the single-character-episode format better? I dunno what it is, something about the Parks supporting cast is strong enough that I feel Andy, April, Chris, Ben, or Ron Swanson could carry a full episode in a way that George Sr., Lindsay, and most other characters on AD besides Michael and GOB couldn't.

I honestly think a single-character-episode format with the Parks cast in this exact way would be amazing.

mooooose

Do you guys think that Parks and Recreation could have pulled off the single-character-episode format better? I dunno what it is, something about the Parks supporting cast is strong enough that I feel Andy, April, Chris, Ben, or Ron Swanson could carry a full episode in a way that George Sr., Lindsay, and most other characters on AD besides Michael and GOB couldn't.

I honestly think a single-character-episode format with the Parks cast in this exact way would be amazing.
That would be stupid. Only arrested development could pull this off because only Mitch hurwitz is creative enough.

Parks uses VO and talking heads. It's way more ensemble dependant then Arrested

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity

Ron Swanson could have his own show.

jtb

Banned
I think the biggest issue I have with the new season is the editing just isn't quite as sharp. I don't know if that's because there's no longer the 22 min restriction of the network hanging over their head or if they've just lost a step, but it feels like the episodes go on a beat too long, the jokes last a second or two too long, etc.

Also, is it just me or is there a lot more narration than there was in the first three seasons. Maybe because it's so exposition heavy so it's more noticeable, I dunno.

Enjoying it though. Through 6 episodes, 4 was definitely the highlight so far.

gnrmjd

Did anybody else not like the way they kept expanding on scenes by adding in lines that didn't happen the first time? I dunno if that was supposed to be a joke, but I think it took away from making it fit cleanly together. For example the most vivid one I can remember is of GOB talking about how he would make fun of Michael, for example if he was dating a man - then the one later on goes into crazy detail with the masks and stuff, which was obviously never said the first time.

I guess that one was kind of funny, but it's hard to look back and go wow at how things fit together when they retconned scenes later on to make it fit. They did it often, and I think it would have been funnier if they did it by cutting away before the extra lines, or having Ron Howard talk over the lines, or just having the lines there in a clever way so that they don't make sense until the context is there.

I dunno I just didn't get what they were going for with that, maybe the unreliable scene-showing was supposed to be a joke.

I'm not sure how people are managing to disagree with you, but just know you're not alone and not everyone is trying to justify this shitty season.

Trike

I think the biggest issue I have with the new season is the editing just isn't quite as sharp. I don't know if that's because there's no longer the 22 min restriction of the network hanging over their head or if they've just lost a step, but it feels like the episodes go on a beat too long, the jokes last a second or two too long, etc.

Also, is it just me or is there a lot more narration than there was in the first three seasons. Maybe because it's so exposition heavy so it's more noticeable, I dunno.

Enjoying it though. Through 6 episodes, 4 was definitely the highlight so far.

Actually having just come off the original 3 seasons (but only 3 episodes in to 4 so far) I would say it is opposIte. The old seasons seem a lot more narration heavy than the new ones sof ar.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Ugh. What is wrong with Portia's face. She doesn't look the same at all. Damn bot ox/surgery. Poor Ellen.

I can't watch any scenes with her in it due to the distracting forehead.

Man HD hasn't proved well for the cast besides George Sr. and David Cross.

DukeSucks

Hahaha I just finished e5. Holy cow this is great. I know I'm missing a lot of little details, but I thought it was funny that at Carr's funeral (Ed Helm's character) there was a procession of Postal vehicles entering the cemetery in the background. Guess the funeral for the mailman who died in front of Micheal was happening that day too!

I caught that too. It happened so fast and I didn't rewatch, so I'm probably wrong, but it looked like the mail trucks had R.I.Pete on the sides

KingKong

I just realized that I didn't actually enjoy most of the storylines. Rebel especially just felt weird. Gob's was probably the best

gnrmjd

Also though I liked this season, I can see where people would criticize it for putting plot above jokes. With how much things were left dangling, it looks like Season 5 will be the same way if it exists.

This could be good, but at the same time, I think plot before comedy was what really messed up Community Season 3. They worked so hard on a running plot sometimes it sacrificed the humor of the episodes themselves.

Robot Pants

Why do I keep hearing the Facebook chat sound effects during some of these episodes......

I really feel like this whole season is a big mystery

Fusebox

Banned
Ugh. What is wrong with Portia's face. She doesn't look the same at all. Damn bot ox/surgery. Poor Ellen.

I can't watch any scenes with her in it due to the distracting forehead.

Man HD hasn't proved well for the cast besides George Sr. and David Cross.

It gets better once she has her haircut, I was able to get past her new face then and move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom