• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrested Development |OT| Season 4 - May 26 - Netflix Unmakes A Huge Mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Such a fantastic joke...

piven.jpg

All the way to the zebra print.

Can someone explain this to me like I'm 5?

She did look much better with the shorter hair.

Yeah she looked really good with shorter hair I thought. She looked kinda creepy with long hair.

I've only watched the first three episodes. I didn't enjoy the second episode very much but the first and third were pretty good.

Onward!

(also Portia's face looks completely different.)

Remember when you wanted this season to end? could not have a minute more of it? I remember when I didn't wanted a single more second of season 3, I was tired of it. This one didn't felt tiresome to me.

Kuroyume

Banned
Wait til you see Steve Holt... Dude looks like he aged 20 years.

Watched 8 eps so far... Best was easily the GOB episode (since he's my fav). Don't like the set up though.... Some of these characters besides Gob/Tobias have been unable to carry episodes by themselves. Surprised by how unfunny George/Oscar have been considering how much I liked him in the previous seasons.

Actual spoiler...

So uh, that's the ending? I thought it was working up to this big thing, only to end with a whimper. George Michael suddenly punches his dad? That's it? Really?

Did anybody else not like the way they kept expanding on scenes by adding in lines that didn't happen the first time? I dunno if that was supposed to be a joke, but I think it took away from making it fit cleanly together. For example the most vivid one I can remember is of GOB talking about how he would make fun of Michael, for example if he was dating a man - then the one later on goes into crazy detail with the masks and stuff, which was obviously never said the first time.

I guess that one was kind of funny, but it's hard to look back and go wow at how things fit together when they retconned scenes later on to make it fit. They did it often, and I think it would have been funnier if they did it by cutting away before the extra lines, or having Ron Howard talk over the lines, or just having the lines there in a clever way so that they don't make sense until the context is there.

I dunno I just didn't get what they were going for with that, maybe the unreliable scene-showing was supposed to be a joke.

Yeah, this has been the most annoying thing on a rewatch. A lot of stuff is held back in the earlier episodes. I guess including everything early on would have made things a bit too obvious.

edit: and oh, a warning for anyone wanting to google image Perfecto Telles, you will see balls, penis, and fat Steve Holt.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Actual spoiler...

So uh, that's the ending? I thought it was working up to this big thing, only to end with a whimper. George Michael suddenly punches his dad? That's it? Really?

When there was 5 minutes left I was like... there's gotta be another episode, right? THAT'S NOT AN ENDING. :( The
Ron Howard thing you could see coming from a mile away

Wow, I didn't expect the most juvenile and hyperbolic review to come from the New York Times:

Mike Hale said:
You need to have watched them to comprehend Season 4 — to understand much of its humor or to make sense of its convoluted plot — but if you truly loved them, it’s hard to imagine being anything but disappointed with this new rendition.

Translation: If you're a true AD fan, you'll hate Season 4.

What an ass.

Mariolee

Actual spoiler...

If there was ever to be a single story arc that'd be the most important in this series, it would be the arc of GM and Michael's relationship. The beginning of the season was Michael relying on his son as he was the only one he could rely on only to find out he couldn't, and at the end he finds out he actually could rely on his son only to find out that he fucked that up.

Still, as a series finale, it leaves a lot to be desired. Which is why when Jason Bateman was talking about this being the first act of a three-act story, in which a movie would be the final two acts, he wasn't kidding. They are really banking on someone picking them up for another movie or at least another season.

I will say the plot was convoluted. I liked a lot of it, but I was kind of confused at times trying to remember what time things happened and if something had already happened.

Yeah, it was definitely complicated, but I think it will become easier to appreciate upon multiple viewings. It's like peeling back the layers of an onion.

I've always expected a divided reaction, but in true AD fashion, I'm confident it will get better with age.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Yeah, it was definitely complicated, but I think it will become easier to appreciate upon multiple viewings. It's like peeling back the layers of an onion.

I've always expected a divided reaction, but in true AD fashion, I'm confident it will get better with age.

Yeah I can definitely see that. A lot of this season wasn't laugh-out-loud funny for me, but more me thinking "that was clever" and "I liked that" in my head. :p The plot was at times just interesting with some genuinely surprising stuff (
when it showed GM sleeping with Rebel after talking to his dad I gasped. Also I did not realize that Maeby was the Indian guy :p
), but it was more confusing then it should have been. But again, I guess that does make it better for other viewings.

Recon

Banned
I will say the plot was convoluted. I liked a lot of it, but I was kind of confused at times trying to remember what time things happened and if something had already happened.

The time jumps confused me for a few episodes. Towards the end I got a good handle on it, and I am sure on re-watches it wont be a problem.

Sounds fair to me.

I'm baffled by anybody who isn't intensely disappointed.

You keep saying the same thing in this thread, we get it.

got to say i found the ending pretty abrupt and weak ..... we getting a season 5 ?

A film, in all likelihood.

Given the logistical challenges presented by this season, a film seems like a much more logical route. And it will probably play out in a more traditionally AD fashion, as opposed to the unique structure of S4.

I'm about to start episode 8.

Episodes 5, 6 and 7 are so fantastic. Episode 7 (Gob's) is by far the best of the crop so far. Ridiculously well done. I'm starting to really appreciate the format now that I've gotten used to it, and I'm really impressed by how well the storylines fit together. Blown away.

On to Lindsay's number 2

Just binge watched it all. I was just happy to see more AD. Not sure if better or worse for me yet. Don't much care. Hope there is a season 5. Needed more GOB. You can tell they never filmed together. Everyone's stories and interactions feel pretty compartmentalized.

oatmeal

Banned
I just don't see how AD fans are okay with having to wait until the 4th episode for any real laugh and still call this good.
It's not the 4th episode that finally brings the laugh ( there are plenty of great scenes in the first three), its the fourth that starts putting the pieces together and being less abstract with the story.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
I loved it except for the season finale but thats because I found Michael and his son to have the weakest plot line. Overall Lindsay's story provided me with the most laughs

S2 > S1 >= S4 > S3

So the ending is
Everyone is pretty much screwed and in deep shit:

Michael: Son hates him, 700k in debt, sudden valley is still shit, and the movie is in deep shit.
George: Wife is divorcing him, brother is trying to take control of his life, has no testosterone, owes the Mongolians a sum of money.
GOB: In love with Tony, owes the Mongolians a sum of money, has a gay sex tape of himself which he remembers, Bees are dieing.
Lucile: stuck in Rehab/Jail, has figured out how much of a horrible person she is, going through a divorce.
Lindsay: Running on a platform she doesn't support(she is probably the best of everyone though).
Buster: Going to jail for attempted murder.
Tobias: Registered sex offender, stuck in rehab/jail indefinitely, the boat he was on blew up.
George Michael: The huge lie about fakeblock which he probably owes millions to people, his roommate suing him, shit relationship with dad, rebel, owes a worthless piece of land. Also, probably a Jon Snow in Spain.
Maeby: Registered Sex offender, maybe jail time, still hasn't graduated high school, jobless.

I think I pretty much got all of it covered right?

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Sounds fair to me.

I'm baffled by anybody who isn't intensely disappointed.

After episode 1 and 2 I wanted to cry. There are some fantastic moments in the season for me, though. Some really clever stuff. The audio gags get me every time and I love how they brought back "Mr. F" and the "coincidence" stuff was a good new joke.

Speaking of that, what are all the new recurring jokes? Some stuff I can think of: "Hot mess", coincidence music, Sound of Silence. What else?

oatmeal

Banned
This isn't a circle jerk, I can say whatever I like.
Why not trying to say more?

It's easy to jump in and say "it's crap" and "I can't believe any fan would not think its crap" insinuating your opinion is held in higher regard.

Why not discuss what you don't like about it. Hard to have a conversation who gives as much insight as Jay Sherman.

You're not wrong, but your approach is anti-discussion.

After episode 1 and 2 I wanted to cry. There are some fantastic moments in the season for me, though. Some really clever stuff. The audio gags get me every time and I love how they brought back "Mr. F" and the "coincidence" stuff was a good new joke.

Speaking of that, what are all the new recurring jokes? Some stuff I can think of: "Hot mess", coincidence music, Sound of Silence. What else?

I enjoyed some of it. But that doesn't mean it's a massive decline from the standards set by the original series.

It's one thing to disagree about the quality of the season.

It's another thing to suggest that everyone who likes this season is either lying or delusional, as you seem to be doing.

A guy posted a review and called the guy who wrote it an ass, when he shared my opinion, thusly calling me an ass unintentionally. Am I not human?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom