• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrested Development |OT| Season 4 - May 26 - Netflix Unmakes A Huge Mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robot Pants

HAHAHA. In the scene
Where buster sees Lucille2's body on the stair car with the blood, when they switch to the security camera view you can see the banner Lindsay made for Lucille. Which we all know has "You're killing me, Buster!" on the reverse side, which is showing.
These writers are genius.

stktt

Banned
HAHAHA. In the scene
Where buster sees Lucille2's body on the stair car with the blood, when they switch to the security camera view you can see the banner Lindsay made for Lucille. Which we all know has "You're killing me, Buster!" on the reverse side, which is showing.
These writers are genius.

Oh, wow.

What's up with the "Complete cont cont cont - GIANT - troll"?

Is it because he's so short so he is called Troll a lot...and thus doesn't like saying the word?

I thought it was a cunt joke. They do it earlier, too, with the word consider. He stumbles on the cunt cunt cunt part, Consider = Cunt Sitter and Control = Cunt Roll. I could just be imagining it, but it kinda plays a bit like the A New Start/Anus Tart.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
Yes and maca apparently boosts the libido and testosterone (IRL), so I'm guessing George got a tainted root or something since the commode was uphill. Only thing I can think of.
Aside from Marky Bark and the "premonition".

This is a good observation, the tainted root, cause they mentioned the toilet being up hill a few times but never went anywhere with it. This would allow them to draw the role reversal out for as long as they want (their respective Maca had a prolonged but finite effect on them for some reason!) but also end it whenever they want (they suddenly both stop and go back to normal!)

Also how late in season 3 did Oscar lose his hair? I almost think the whole role reversal gag is them trying to make a joke out of the fact that Oscar and George are literally identical now after Oscar lost his hair, which was possibly a decision they made when they thought the series was going to be cancelled for good?

Because it is a little bit of a cumbersome plot, the whole Oscar and George Sr thing, although ultimately I like it a lot

Layell

Oscar lost his hair at the end of season 2 to season 3. His time in jail caused his hair to not grow back from stress (George saying he had hair because he never felt stress), thus with his fingerprints burned off and his hair not growing back he couldn't prove he was Oscar and not George. Mostly all covered by the end of season 2. Looks like he never managed to grow it back since his time in jail.

This is a good observation, the tainted root, cause they mentioned the toilet being up hill a few times but never went anywhere with it. This would allow them to draw the role reversal out for as long as they want (their respective Maca had a prolonged but finite effect on them for some reason!) but also end it whenever they want (they suddenly both stop and go back to normal!)

Also how late in season 3 did Oscar lose his hair? I almost think the whole role reversal gag is them trying to make a joke out of the fact that Oscar and George are literally identical now after Oscar lost his hair, which was possibly a decision they made when they thought the series was going to be cancelled for good?

Because it is a little bit of a cumbersome plot, the whole Oscar and George Sr thing, although ultimately I like it a lot

Yeah, I assumed it had to do with the toilet thing, but the idea about them being confused is so much better. Ridiculous, but this is Arrested Development. George Sr. lost a couple of days in the sweat lodge? I don't think so!

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
Oscar lost his hair at the end of season 2 to season 3. His time in jail caused his hair to not grow back from stress (George saying he had hair because he never felt stress), thus with his fingerprints burned off and his hair not growing back he couldn't prove he was Oscar and not George. Mostly all covered by the end of season 2. Looks like he never managed to grow it back since his time in jail.

Ok I was thinking it was later. Still, interesting thinking with a difficult concept on their part lol.

jtb

Banned
yeah what's with Oscar? I'm only 7 eps in but he just doesn't feel like the same character from s2-3. and I don't think it's just the hair... I know there were a lot of (if not all) gags in the original run on Buster/Oscar and I guess without it, there's not much there.

And I hated hated hated how they just flat out said "Tobias is gay." Like, it was only the most obivous running gag on the show anyways, and it didn't change Tobias at all—just really irritating. I dunno if that has some kind of payoff or if it's just getting everyone else up to speed.

yeah what's with Oscar? I'm only 7 eps in but he just doesn't feel like the same character from s2-3. and I don't think it's just the hair... I know there were a lot of (if not all) gags in the original run on Buster/Oscar and I guess without it, there's not much there.

And I hated hated hated how they just flat out said "Tobias is gay." Like, it was only the most obivous running gag on the show anyways, and it didn't change Tobias at all—just really irritating. I dunno if that has some kind of payoff or if it's just getting everyone else up to speed.

I was really disappointed there wasn't a His father (?) over George, Sr. when it was Buster's episode.

I didn't mind with Tobias, went with the whole theme of needing to be aware of what he was saying so as to avoid being a repeat sexual offender, and him being "in on it" didn't really change the character much.

addik

9 episodes so far. I'm liking it, and not loving it.

The structure makes the episodes all sort of dense and hard to keep up. If anyone's played Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep, I think the series would benefit from following their structure. They should have just had like the first episode as an overview of the season or the beginning of the season (like an event where they are all together), and another episode or two to wrap things up all at once. Then from there, we get to choose which character we can follow. I think the way the season is structured, it gets predictable which character had an effect on whose storyline. Also it's hard to keep up what's going on with a character when his/her story arch is broken in to parts and we don't get to see the other parts until later on.

9 episodes so far. I'm liking it, and not loving it.

The structure makes the episodes all sort of dense and hard to keep up. If anyone's played Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep, I think the series would benefit from following their structure. They should have just had like the first episode as an overview of the season or the beginning of the season (like an event where they are all together), and another episode or two to wrap things up all at once. Then from there, we get to choose which character we can follow. I think the way the season is structured, it gets predictable which character had an effect on whose storyline. Also it's hard to keep up what's going on with a character when his/her story arch is broken in to parts and we don't get to see the other parts until later on.

Sounds like some lucky fan will be editing a nice 7 hour movie together in chronological order with full scenes of every interaction.

Mariolee

I was really disappointed there wasn't a His father (?) over George, Sr. when it was Buster's episode.

Pretty sure there was at least one gag about it in Lucille's or George Sr.'s episodes though.

Also, on top of the whole Michael Cera/Jesse Eisenberg Social Network parody thing, in the court scene where P-Hound is suing George Michael, GM is wearing a regular jacket while everyone is wearing suits just like in the film. In addition to this, the twins from the first episode are there just like the Winklevoss twins in the movie.

I love this show.

Holy shit. I missed like almost all of that. Probably because I forgot Eisenberg was in the social network. But so good. I'm excited to rewatch it all the way in a few week or so. I can taste the happy.

Edit: Wow, I'm really dominating this thread at the moment. Imma bow out for a bit.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
How do you front-load a highly anticipated comeback series with such bad episodes? I slogged through the first three and want to die. It's awful so far.

Seems it's supposed to get better beyond here, but Christ, they're not giving me much incentive to keep watching.

Lo_Fi

Surprised there's not more talk about the subtle/hidden jokes in here.

I've got (a possible) one. At one point, Rebel says something like "it's harder to get out of than Scientology". I always get Isla Fisher and Amy Adams mixed up, and I've heard others do too. And Amy Adams was recently in that movie The Master, which was about Scientology. If that isn't the joke, it seems like an out of place comment. Am I reading too much into it?

oh yeah and

the final episode of this season resembled the first episode of the season, just like the last episode of season 3 resembled the first episode of season 1

There are so many damn subtle callbacks im noticing on my rewatch. Both Tobias' and Michael's reactions to the heat (in both india and phoenix) are their same reactions as burning themselves on the Cornballer.

jtb

Banned

I've got (a possible) one. At one point, Rebel says something like "it's harder to get out of than Scientology". I always get Isla Fisher and Amy Adams mixed up, and I've heard others do too. And Amy Adams was recently in that movie The Master, which was about Scientology. If that isn't the joke, it seems like an out of place comment. Am I reading too much into it?

I'd say you're reading too much into it. Isla Fisher and Amy Adams don't look alike imo, outside of their hair color :/

addik

Sounds like some lucky fan will be editing a nice 7 hour movie together in chronological order with full scenes of every interaction.

I don't know, I don't like how it just jumps from one character to another. It's harder to follow the timeline of events.

I mean, I think the best way to put it was what Ron Howard (I'm not sure if he was the one) suggested: that we follow one character's story arch first before we head on to the others.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad AD has a fourth season, and the show has been really good. I can imagine loving it more as I rewatch it.

Plus, I'm glad it went down with this structure though. It may have not been implemented well, IMO, but it's better than going down the conventional fourth season.

Zocano

My favorite (not so subtle?) joke/line still remains when (episode 7 spoiler)
Gob breaks into Anne's house and finds the Jesus picture gets startled and laughs it off going "I thought that guy was real!"

The line had me in stitches and I keep laughing to myself thinking about it.

Fantastical

Death Prophet

I think it's just a general joke at the expense of Scientology. Rebel is a young actress, and she's implying that she was once a Scientologist.

My favorite still remains when (episode 11 spoiler)
Gob breaks into Anne's house and finds the Jesus picture gets startled and laughs it off going "I thought that guy was real!"

Yep, that was real good.

Also that scene in the trailer where Gob comes out of the cave and kicks his leg up was not in the actual show, right? He dances, but I don't remember the leg kick.

So I've finally watched them all. First question, what's up with all the spoiler tags in here? the opening post said they were fair game?

Oh well. Anyway, I definitely liked the new season. It was definitely setting lots of things up, so many questions unanswered. Really disliked the fact
George Michael punched Michael at the end. :(

Mariolee

I think it's more of a double-joke on how many actors in Hollywood are a part of Scientology and how Scientologists set out to ruin people's careers after they leave.

It only made the follow up 23 seconds of silence mildly funny. I don't know.

George Michael 1 was probably my least favorite of any of the episodes.

I thought the GM episodes were some of the funniest.

I think it's more of a double-joke on how many actors in Hollywood are a part of Scientology and how Scientologists set out to ruin people's careers after they leave.

I thought the GM episodes were some of the funniest.

George Michael 2 was way better, despite me being pretty disappointed by what he did at the very end. Then I guess Michael deserved it since he pursued the relationship after having seen the photo of Rebel and GM. Unless the Roofie made him forget all of that?

Tobias 1 made me laugh the most followed by Buster. Wish Buster had gotten 2 episodes. He was almost non existent til his episode way at the end.

LOL
The Sue Storm logo/ NaziSS joke I missed. Wow.

First question, what's up with all the spoiler tags in here? the opening post said they were fair game?

michaelkickjkj7o.gif

People are bee-ing nice or something. I don't get it either

Given the audience, I don't think so.

I love the idea of making it a whodunit surrounding the death of Lucille Austero.

Yeah, but her body is only just missing, right? Then again they should have said disappearance of Lucille Austero and not Death. hmm..

LOL

michaelkickjkj7o.gif

People are bee-ing nice or something

LOL I love that gif. Also your Gob reference. There's more than enough people outright spoiling, so it seems pointless to me to tag anything given all that's here.

saunderez

I mean, I think the best way to put it was what Ron Howard (I'm not sure if he was the one) suggested: that we follow one character's story arch first before we head on to the others.

I think if you did it that way you'd lose the impact of things being not what they seemed at first because you'd see the outcome before you see the other characters take on it. That's part of what makes this season great for me.

Mariolee

George Michael 2 was way better, despite me being pretty disappointed by what he did at the very end. Then I guess Michael deserved it since he pursued the relationship after having seen the photo of Rebel and GM. Unless the Roofie made him forget all of that?

Tobias 1 made me laugh the most followed by Buster. Wish Buster had gotten 2 episodes. He was almost non existent til his episode way at the end.

I thought the Tobias episodes were surprisingly weak, though maybe that's because I expected so much of them since Tobias is my favorite character. I just didn't really like the Fantastic Four plot or De Brie although Mr. F coming back was one of the hardest laughs I had. I'll have to rewatch it.

LOL

The ONLY reason I caught that joke is because Community made a similar joke this past season.

While I liked the new season, I'm with everyone that it's not as good as the first 3, even with this having a very ambitious story that has yet to fully be played out. The best parts of the series is with EVERYONE together. With how this season ended, GM and Michael fighting, Buster gone, George Sr. and Lucille divorce, everyone still seems very far apart.

I just hope they don't do a new patch of episodes until all the actors schedules allow them to all be together for the new episodes, or at least much more than the two days they had for this season.

I'm just now trying to express in words how I really feel about this season. love seeing everyone back, it just seems everything feels far more serious than what it did in the old seasons.

Lo_Fi

Oh, also the Social Network parallels were obvious, but I think the mustache is supposed to be a reference to Youth In Revolt:

Michael-Cera-Youth-In-Revolt.JPG

I'm digging the michael cera jokes that couldn't have been done in seasons 1-3

The old hot sweat box joke was amazing.

LOL, yes it was. I'm slowly rewatching the series with my Mom and sister, and it was funny seeing their reaction to that. Haha.

That was literally the funniest episode of the season.

I'll rewatch it soon when I get around to watching it with the above mentioned, but it was a rehash of what we already had seen, but with not as many fun intersections as the previous episodes. I guess I just don't like the older more serious George Michael.

3 biggest resalutions are

Lucille 2 murder
Fakeblock
the election

i got a good laugh at the sue storm arm band

Don't forget the Wall. Also we know Lindsay is going to run instead of Terry Crews, but do we have any idea who will run in Lucille 2's place?

Also this season needed more FRANKLIN! ;___;

Mariolee

Rewatching the fourth episode with Michael and I just noticed that the final photo in his photobooth pic with Rebel is the goat walking in on them haha

Rewatching the fourth episode with Michael and I just noticed that the final photo in his photobooth pic with Rebel is the goat walking in on them haha

Yeah I paused my first watchthrough to notice this things, I thought it was a fun reference to Buster in the earlier season with the Sheep in his booth!

This show a little too serious, well that arrest developments for you.

This new season was wayyyy more serious than the past 3 combined, even with the treason charges. It just seemed a little darker for sure.

"AHHHHHHHHH" , lol Gene's scene , he made it :D

Yep! She had the hands waving again and everything. Haha it was too cute.

Sam Stillwell(sp?) Lindsay's rival from high school.

Sally Sitwell

So its same! like highschool (Sally vs. Lindsay)

Thanks for the refresher! I wonder if they'll go back to her conniving with Ben Stiller. Also old rivalry, that's amazing. haha.

Well I just finished. Not my favorite season, but I enjoyed it. I hope they end up doing another season or two for Netflix.

Well, it's definitely not the end that's for sure. I do hope we get more on Netflix though, definitely.

Also, It's kind of funny, Tony Wonder and Sally Sitwell have the same dynamic Will Arnett and Amy Poehler did in the old series. Still a shame those two broke up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom