• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrested Development |OT| Season 4 - May 26 - Netflix Unmakes A Huge Mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.
"AHHHHHHHHH" , lol Gene's scene , he made it :D

Only quoting you because of your avatar. Poor Steve Holt. He's aged the roughest out of any recourring character. They even joked about it in the show. Gob not knowing it was him for 90 minutes, then Maeby not even recognizing him.

Good for him to go with the gags though. Also Lindsay when George Sr. mentioned any further work would cave her in or some such quote.

Also the quick Annyong appearance was pretty swell too.

Recon

Banned
Only quoting you because of your avatar. Poor Steve Holt. He's aged the roughest out of any recourring character. They even joked about it in the show. Gob not knowing it was him for 90 minutes, then Maeby not even recognizing him.

Good for him to go with the gags though. Also Lindsay when George Sr. mentioned any further work would cave her in or some such quote.

I didnt even recognize him until GOB did. The gf and I were shocked that he looked so bad.

My favorite (not so subtle?) joke/line still remains when (episode 7 spoiler)
Gob breaks into Anne's house and finds the Jesus picture gets startled and laughs it off going "I thought that guy was real!"

The line had me in stitches and I keep laughing to myself thinking about it.

That one got me pretty good.

Second only to the first Graduate bit with Gob. When he sits down and mellows out I knew exactly what was coming and god damn it didn't disappoint.

jerry113

Banned
They went overboard with the celebrity cameos to the point where it starts feeling like an SNL skit.

Any scene featuring the main cast TOGETHER were great, though.

Slacker

Just finished. I didn't like the new format overall, though I guess I understand the necessity of it. Random thoughts:

- I felt like they let Michael drift a little too far out of character. He always had his weaknesses, but his cluelessness was a little over the top. I felt like Maeby's character was a little off too.

- There is a lot going on in each episode. I think it'll be fairly amusing rewatching them knowing what's really going on in each scene. For example, in episode 1 you hear Michael say
"What's this?" after his "I'm done with this family" speech.
We of course later learn what he's talking about. In episode 2 we see
"George" coming out of the sweat lodge in obvious distress, then the camera panning away from him as he approaches the RV, then a reinvigorated George jogging back into frame.
Clever.

- No idea what they were thinking with the makeup on "younger Lindsay." Her scenes in the early episodes were so distracting because of it. She looked much better when they let her age.

- Interesting to finally catch a glimpse of (from episode 13)
Tracey Bluth
as well as almost catching a glimpse of George Michael's (same episode)
version of the chicken dance

- Ron Howard was awesome. Isla was great too. Wiig wasn't bad. Rogan wasn't a convincing George Sr at all.

They went overboard with the celebrity cameos to the point where it starts feeling like an SNL skit.

Any scene featuring the main cast TOGETHER were great, though.
My thoughts exactly.

i was really bummed about that haha :(

STEVE HOLT legacy is forever

"study hard guys, trust me"

he just gained some weight, everything else was make up and fake receding hairline. his advanced age look was a scripted part of his character.

Recon

Banned
Oh man, I just rewatched the first ep of S4.

Michael: Then I would fall down a flight of stairs and crack my head open and you would feel bad about yourself your whole life.

That set up!!

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
3 biggest resalutions are

Lucille 2 murder
Fakeblock
the election

i got a good laugh at the sue storm arm band

GM and Michael
Those 2 and Rebel
GOB and Tony
GM and Maeby (!!!!!!)
Tobias, Lindsay, each other, and respectives
George Sr and Oscar
George Sr and Lucile

There's WAY more unresolved plot lines which are all interesting

Isla Fisher was in the movie Definitely, Maybe. :lol

Surely?

strobogo

Banned
What happened to Michael Cera's nose in the past few years? Did he break it sometime? It definitely wasn't that beaky in the original series and I don't recall it looking like that until the past 2 years or so. It's really weird.

oatmeal

Banned
I thought it was a cunt joke. They do it earlier, too, with the word consider. He stumbles on the cunt cunt cunt part, Consider = Cunt Sitter and Control = Cunt Roll. I could just be imagining it, but it kinda plays a bit like the A New Start/Anus Tart.

Hm, if that's the case, South Park did it better.

"Stan told me to tell you you're a cunt...a cunt...a cunt...a CUNNNNT..."
"Tell Stan he's a jerk!"
"-A continuing source of inspiration."

On the re-watch now and Pete saying "Love each other" as he dies. So good.
Also there is a shot with Lucille 2's check book and there is a 375 check for juice boxes.

EDIT: Also whats with all of the Facebook message noises. Just heard one in the first ep while he was kicking the tumbleweed.

Arkos

Hm, if that's the case, South Park did it better.

"Stan told me to tell you you're a cunt...a cunt...a cunt...a CUNNNNT..."
"Tell Stan he's a jerk!"
"-A continuing source of inspiration."

AD did it better :p

"You selfish cunt!... -ry loving lady!"

Plus I think it's a gag on the sorority cunt punt email if they are making cunt jokes

God I hate that word lol

Mariolee

Oh man, I just rewatched the first ep of S4.

Michael: Then I would fall down a flight of stairs and crack my head open and you would feel bad about yourself your whole life.

That set up!!

Yeah, almost positive that (spoilered if I'm right)
Lucille 2 suffered from vertigo from Michael trying to have sex with her again or whatever, fell down the stair car, Michael got nervous and hid the body while it was dark somehow in between fireworks, accidentally framed Buster, and then took a forget-me-now and forgot the whole thing.

Are they doing another season if this one is successful, or is this just a one off?

I can't imagine a universe with this being it for AD. There seems to be a lots of good praise and poor, but tons of people watched. We should get numbers soon.

All the actors said they loved doing AD, missed it, and would absolutely do it again, so chances are very high.

Arkos

EDIT: Also whats with all of the Facebook message noises. Just heard one in the first ep while he was kicking the tumbleweed.

Fakeblock jokes duh! I think whoever first said that they should have used Eisenberg as a Cera stand in is a genius and deserves a spot writing the show lol

Just watched the first episode....oh god the vote, poor Michael. And then P-hound shushing him lmao

Yep, My first watch, I was only depressed by the time the episode was over. If it wasn't for the MOTHER OF GOD! and Ostrich at the end, I might have shed a tear for poor Mikey. Haha. Not his character's best season, that's for sure.

Fakeblock jokes duh! I think whoever first said that they should have used Eisenberg as a Cera stand in is a genius and deserves a spot writing the show lol

I mean I know what the joke is about I just don't get why it happens when it does. Unless they know we are watching it on our computers and might have Facebook open at the time and then tab over to check our messages. META AS SHIT!

Arkos

I mean I know what the joke is about I just don't get why it happens when it does. Unless they know we are watching it on our computers and might have Facebook open at the time and then tab over to check our messages. META AS SHIT!

SHOWSTEALER PRO TRIAL VERSION

lol

Edit: loved how the last episode had like one frame where it said "trial expired" on the last flashback :p

jtb

Banned

I think there's definitely an element of that. This is on Netflix after all.

Good, I thought I was flipping out here all the Facebook noises. lol.

Also lol at the reversed house GM was living it and did the same thing Gob did with the lemonade.

Mariolee

Lucille 2 suffered from vertigo from Michael trying to have sex with her again or whatever, fell down the stair car, Michael got nervous and hid the body while it was dark somehow in between fireworks, accidentally framed Buster, and then took a forget-me-now and forgot the whole thing.

HOLY SHIT, wait I think I'm onto something here. Continuing off of what I said before, Michael
probably hid her body in the Banana Stand which is why he inexplicably changed to a Banana Stand shirt when he gets back to the Bluth house!!!!
It would also serve as a meta joke since
Lucille 2 represents a lot of money for Michael and THERE'S ALWAYS MONEY IN THE BANANA STAND.

I'm thinking this as well. Puts the "You're a crook, Captain Hook!" scene in a whole new light.
With Buster as the defendant and Michael trying to convince everyone that he's guilty. Not that he necessarily would knowingly betray Buster, but still the same brother vs brother concept.

HOLY CRAP THAT'S PERFECT.

Triton55

I'm thinking this as well. Puts the "You're a crook, Captain Hook!" scene in a whole new light.
With Buster as the defendant and Michael trying to convince everyone that he's guilty. Not that he necessarily would knowingly betray Buster, but still the same brother vs brother concept.

Good, I thought I was flipping out here all the Facebook noises. lol.

Also lol at the reversed house GM was living it and did the same thing Gob did with the lemonade.

I was so confused as to why there was so much Mikes Hard in the house and then they did the bit about all of the predators out there. Kinda made sense that they would have some sugary alcoholic drinks around for the kids you know.

EDIT: Shit I missed that Tobias line about the lemonade.

HOLY SHIT, wait I think I'm onto something here. Continuing off of what I said before, Michael
probably hid her body in the Banana Stand which is why he inexplicably changed to a Banana Stand shirt when he gets back to the Bluth house!!!!
Lucille 2 represents a lot of money for Michael and THERE'S ALWAYS MONEY IN THE BANANA STAND.

Did Michael have this new shirt in his Google car? He walked in the house with it already on. Although, he did say he wasn't proud of what he did referring to the party. It'd be funny if she was in the Banana Stand. I can't see this thing becoming morbid though.

I was so confused as to why there was so much Mikes Hard in the house and then they did the bit about all of the predators out there. Kinda made sense that they would have some sugary alcoholic drinks around for the kids you know.

That was such a nice touch. Also Tobias saying, Great lemonade....is there alcohol in this?

Arkos

HOLY CRAP THAT'S PERFECT.

There IS always money in the banana stand

so the OP says you're allowed spoilers ehhhh

Ya I mean c'mon dewds. You'd have to be an idiot to waltz in here if you're trying to avoid spoilers

TUSR

Banned
There IS always money in the banana stand

Ya I mean c'mon dewds. You'd have to be an idiot to waltz in here if you're trying to avoid spoilers

Well its not like anyone actually read the OP anyways seeing before the 26th everyone was asking what time it was coming out at.

Well its not like anyone actually read the OP anyways seeing before the 26th everyone was asking what time it was coming out at.

Heyyy how did you like it? I'm upset at what GM did at the end, but I guess Michael was a bit of a jerk. Unless the roofie made him forget the Kissing Booth picture. Hmm..

jerry113

Banned
I just rewatched the last episode and I really liked the touch of putting a pumped song right after GM punching Michael and rolling right into the credits. I don't know why I liked it, but the beats were perfect.

Yeah, here's the artist who did the song:

https://soundcloud.com/lucy-schwartz-music/boomerang

If this season was about the characters fucking up their family relationships, then the next season/movie should be about them coming to terms with each other.

Gotchaye

I basically liked the format, with all the skipping around, except I felt like they over-explained. They're basically encouraging marathon sessions, so it's a little strange to write it as if the viewer needs to be reminded of a major event from only two or three episodes back. I didn't need nearly as much re-establishment as I got every time they came back to the same events from another character's perspective.

I definitely thought Maebe said "cunt punt".

I did feel like they cranked the coincidences up to 11 for this season. I haven't watched the older seasons for a while, so maybe I'm misremembering them, but I didn't really like just how often the show relied on "and then this unlikely thing happened". Some of that is fine, but the show's need to find explanations for why three or more people were at the same place at the same time started getting unbelievable in a bad way.

Still, it was very entertaining. I thought everything to do with Rebel was pretty weak, but I loved the Loves. Lindsay's great, and gorgeous, and George and Lucille are endlessly entertaining. I liked DeBrie for the first half of her being on the show too.

Was it Ann who sabotaged Gob's illusion? Did we ever find out for sure what happened?

Heyyy how did you like it? I'm upset at what GM did at the end, but I guess Michael was a bit of a jerk. Unless the roofie made him forget the Kissing Booth picture. Hmm..
Michael had clearly figured out that they were dating the same girl back when they were talking about their girlfriends in GM's new home. He had it coming.

I basically liked the format, with all the skipping around, except I felt like they over-explained. They're basically encouraging marathon sessions, so it's a little strange to write it as if the viewer needs to be reminded of a major event from only two or three episodes back. I didn't need nearly as much re-establishment as I got every time they came back to the same events from another character's perspective.

I did feel like they cranked the coincidences up to 11 for this season. I haven't watched the older seasons for a while, so maybe I'm misremembering them, but I didn't really like just how often the show relied on "and then this unlikely thing happened". Some of that is fine, but the show's need to find explanations for why three or more people were at the same place at the same time started getting unbelievable in a bad way.

Still, it was very entertaining. I thought everything to do with Rebel was pretty weak, but I loved the Loves. Lindsay's great, and gorgeous, and George and Lucille are endlessly entertaining. I liked DeBrie for the first half of her being on the show too.

Was it Ann who sabotaged Gob's illusion? Did we ever find out for sure what happened?

Michael had clearly figured out that they were dating the same girl back when they were talking about their girlfriends in GM's new home. He had it coming.

Didn't say who did it, but it was most likely Ann with that Tony Wonder sign.

Arkos

You're gonna tell the guy, the guy who- who- who read the OP to try to post responsib, responsib, you're gonna tell the guy who read the OP to, to, to, come on, ....

But srs shouldn't you always read te OP? I mean if people did it it would obviously eliminate the confusion about tagging spoilers

Michael has a 3 way with Maeby and Uncle Jack in the secret 16th ep

Mariolee

Did Michael have this new shirt in his Google car? He walked in the house with it already on. Although, he did say he wasn't proud of what he did referring to the party. It'd be funny if she was in the Banana Stand. I can't see this thing becoming morbid though.

We never saw him change clothes after the Cinco de Cuatro celebration. Also, this season of AD has already shown how awful these people can be. Maebe not only is a registered sex offender but also sold her mom off as a prostitute and screwed over her dad just to make a living.

Here's the thing though: I don't think Lucille 2 is dead. I think Michael just over-panicked and hid the body in the Banana Stand only to reawaken there like GOB did in the storage unit.

Edit: I can't believe we're speculating on a "comedy" of all things.

1) Yep, there was a bit too much Ron Howard for my liking in the new series. As a voice, and even as the Imagine producer.

2) I thought that's what she said too.

3) I guess so. I just love at the Victims and Bluths part seeing all the actors talk to each other in each others episodes. You could see Gob with his back turned to the camera talking to GM for a brief seconds. It's like they screamed ACTION and there were tons of cameras in the room and everything was running at once. It was beautiful.

4) Still was very enjoyable, and Debrie even looked attractive a few times. lol.

5) Wondering if it was maybe Steve the pirate who sabotaged it when he went in the hut with the funny SHHH! Mannequin. haha.

Also, did anyone think Lucille Austero looked younger in her scenes with Buster? She just looked slightly less aged. Maybe it's their great dynamic. haha.

TUSR

Banned

Episode 3 and on it really started to pick up steam, and when it was getting towards the end after 8 I believe it really started to come together as Arrested Development.

GOB's episodes were awesome, his second one was a top 5 episode of AD by itself. And the episode where they are talking about dating Julie Bowen killed me.

With what they were working with, they killed it.

There were a few gags/lines that stuck out as awful to me because of how forced they were. (When Tobias says How-dey-doo-dat) I cringed so fucking hard. And aside from Kristen Wiig moving her face a lot, she was pretty decent as Young Lucille, Seth Rogan as Young George Sr was bad though.

You're gonna tell the guy, the guy who- who- who read the OP to try to post responsib, responsib, you're gonna tell the guy who read the OP to, to, to, come on, ....

But srs shouldn't you always read te OP? I mean if people did it it would obviously eliminate the confusion about tagging spoilers

Michael has a 3 way with Maeby and Uncle Jack in the secret 16th ep

shhhhh shh shh shh

Arkos

We never saw him change clothes after the Cinco de Cuatro celebration. Also, this season of AD has already shown how awful these people can be. Maebe not only is a registered sex offender but also sold her mom off as a prostitute and screwed over her dad just to make a living.

Here's the thing though: I don't think Lucille 2 is dead. I think Michael just over-panicked and hid the body in the Banana Stand only to reawaken there like GOB did in the storage unit.

Dude definitely. While I would love a whodunit AD, because the seasons are already a little like a puzzle, and I think it would be funny, that's probably just nail polish or something

Yes. but wasn't that the day before? Didn't the punch occur the day after the night GOB gave Michael the roofie? How the narrator explained it was just slightly confusing.

JABEE

I hope there is a season 5! This season started slow, but was great in the end. I hope this season was a success so they can get bigger commitments from the cast. Make the show the way they used to and have everyone together at the same time.

I hope there is a season 5! This season started slow, but was great in the end. I hope this season was a success so they can get bigger commitments from the cast. Make the show the way they used to and have everyone together at the same time.

Yep, this is what everyone wants, but they have sooooo many questions to answer and things to wrap up from this season before it can be Bluths behaving badly together again. I hope he happens soon, they're not getting any younger!

TUSR

Banned
Yep, this is what everyone wants, but they have sooooo many questions to answer and things to wrap up from this season before it can be Bluths behaving badly together again. I hope he happens soon, they're not getting any younger!

Jessica Walter was looking super old, but not frail.

I could write a huge post on my summary of the show and how it compared to the original. Its not really worth it, there were way more hits than misses in this season and when everything was tying together into what we previously knew as AD, the show shined. Hats off to Hurwitz and on to Howard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom