• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrested Development |OT| Season 4 - May 26 - Netflix Unmakes A Huge Mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charles

So in Tobias' and Lindsays first episode, is there a joke with the name of the
Methodone clinic
? It was something like
4133 in rear
, but I can't seem to figure out what the numbers are in reference to.

However they do show the shot several times, so it seems that they want us to notice it...

Methodone clinic
? It was something like
4133 in rear

However they do show the shot several times, so it seems that they want us to notice it...

i was wondering the same. it's just so random, 4133 in rear.

Slacker

Truly random pop culture reference: In Maeby's episode where Lindsay tries to hug her shaman (who is Maeby in disguise), Maeby says "Please don't squeeze the shaman!"

No idea why this was in my memory bank as it seems to predate me, but it sounds like a callback to "Please don't squeeze the Charmin!"

Zeppu

Methodone clinic
? It was something like
4133 in rear

eelh/a in the rear? I have no idea about that either.

ivysaur12

Banned
Preston Beckman, head of Fox Scheduling:

‏@maskedscheduler 2m
The only thing NETFLIX "data" on #ArrestedDevelopment viewing tells us is how many people in America need to get a fucking life.

Fuck you, buddy :)

comedian

the line that really got me was from George Michael while in Spain, as the woman screams to him "make me cry" and he says "you're a terrible mother".

Slacker

Not sure what his problem is, Fox broke up with AD, not the other way around. And from what I've read Fox really liked the show, only reluctantly cancelling it when it failed to draw an audience after three seasons. I would think a lot of people there would be rooting for the reboot.

I don't get that guy. Dude is probably a multi multi multi millionare and he is on Twitter insulting a show his network cancelled years ago? What a unholy dick.

Lijik

I'm assuming he's getting harassed a bit and is upset. Regardless. Total asshole.

If he was, Im not sure why he'd stir the hive even further with that tweet, seems like itd just invite even more.
Granted sensibility and twitter rarely go together, especially when it comes to assholes.

oatmeal

Banned
You would think FOX would want to say something like "we are glad that the brilliance of AD is being seen by an audience that wasn't there when we had it, everyone deserves to have the Bluths in their lives."

Socreges

Banned
Okay. wow. I found some foreshadowing about the ending in one of the early episodes

When Michael is getting Andy Richter to jump on board for his movie there is this:

Andy: So they're finally making a movie about that, huh?
Michael: Theres more to it than that...Its about a young man trying to get out from under his domineering Father, while dealing with the slow death of his wife.

Obviously later we learn the movie was supposed to be about Michael and GM, not Michael and George...which is exactly what this entire season up to that ending leads up to (metaphorically).
George Michael's wife is dying slowly?

I hope they make fun of those tweets in Season 5

Six seasons and a movie!

George Michael's wife is dying slowly?

Kind of an ostretch, but metaphorically speaking, he finally got Rebel to settle down in her life. He still is slowing losing her though since she is pretty much cheating on him.

Zeppu

From reddit:

CoHVmf0.jpg

Looks like a cross over from 21st Century Modern Family even though it's no longer in active development.

You would think FOX would want to say something like "we are glad that the brilliance of AD is being seen by an audience that wasn't there when we had it, everyone deserves to have the Bluths in their lives."

i don't think he is still the head of fox programming. this isn't fox talking. it's just some douche who works for the parent company now.

ivysaur12

Banned

That's what I would expect as well.

I think it comes from the idea that streaming and binge watching are bullshit and people are still watching television in the traditional way. But, that Variety "review" is incredibly short sighted and quoting it just makes Beckman look like more of a dick.

20th Century Fox has a credit at the end of every episode. What's the difference between that division and the one that fucked over the show?

Needed more Annyong

Agreed. It was nice seeing him at the end of the Lindsay 2 episode though.

oatmeal

Banned
That's what I would expect as well.

I think it comes from the idea that streaming and binge watching are bullshit and people are still watching television in the traditional way. But, that Variety "review" is incredibly short sighted and quoting it just makes Beckman look like more of a dick.

I had a Neilsen journal recently. They give you a diary to fill out and mail in. My wife did it or a couple months but then grew tired and stopped.

It's hilarious that they trust those numbers over digital data.

ivysaur12

Banned
20th Century Fox has a credit at the end of every episode. What's the difference between that division and the one that fucked over the show?

Fox actually was incredibly supportive of Arrested and couldn't launch the show despite its best comedy timeslot at the time and 3 chances to do so. Preston was at Fox at the time and I certainly think that they've gotten too much shit for its cancellation. If we were living in the world that exists now, I think that Arrested would stand more of a chance with depleted ratings across the board and ad revenue being obtained from L+3 DVR viewing.

Still. What a douche.

Fox actually was incredibly supportive of Arrested and couldn't launch the show despite its best comedy timeslot at the time and 3 chances to do so. Preston was at Fox at the time and I certainly think that they've gotten too much shit for its cancellation. If we were living in the world that exists now, I think that Arrested would stand more of a chance with depleted ratings across the board and ad revenue being obtained from L+3 DVR viewing.

Still. What a douche.

Indeed. It hurts to see the name Fox at the end with what transpired, even if the Studios are used to make the episodes. Whoa.

TUSR

Banned
So Ted Sarandos was really impressed with House of Cards, and these 'apparent' numbers/speculation are a really good sign.

Your ostrich pun can't save this post.

LOL. I added more to that post. He is still slowly 'losing' Rebel, I guess. Still those are some pretty choice words that Michael didn't have to say to Andy Richter. Andy follows up Michael's synopsis with something like "Thanks now I don't have to pay to watch it"

From reddit:

Looks like a cross over from 21st Century Modern Family even though it's no longer in active development.

As a fan of Modern Family, I liked the jabs that were thrown. The Julie Bowen one was great too. Modern Family owes a lot to this show, theres a lot of jokes they have "borrowed" from AD.

I had a Neilsen journal recently. They give you a diary to fill out and mail in. My wife did it or a couple months but then grew tired and stopped.

It's hilarious that they trust those numbers over digital data.

But they sent you 30 dollars cash in advance!! Youre beholden to filling it out accurately!

I loved the gradual reveal of everyone in that room. I particularly loved the reveal of it being a graduation/birthday party for george-michael. :lol

LOL Yes. At first I was like, man, everyone up there besides George Michael. Thought it would have been weird, since Ann was there sitting next to Gob. Then, whaddya know, it's GM's Birthday party. haha. It makes Gob's announcement of getting married to Ann even weirder now when you think about it.

TUSR

Banned
As a fan of Modern Family, I liked the jabs that were thrown. The Julie Bowen one was great too. Modern Family owes a lot to this show, theres a lot of jokes they have "borrowed" from AD.

I've watched the Julie Bowen scene about 4 times now, the interaction between Arnett and Bateman is hilarious. From the lines to the facial reactions.

I don't watch Modern Family at all. Maeby I will at some point, but anyway, I feel like I'm missing something funny about the Julie Bowen gag. Can someone explain it?

Socreges

Banned
LOL. I added more to that post. He is still slowly 'losing' Rebel, I guess. Still those are some pretty choice words that Michael didn't have to say to Andy Richter. Andy follows up Michael's synopsis with something like "Thanks now I don't have to pay to watch it"
"That just saved me 12 bucks."

You're reading too much into it. :p

TUSR

Banned
I don't watch Modern Family at all. Maeby I will at some point, but anyway, I feel like I'm missing something funny about the Julie Bowen gag. Can someone explain it?

The history between Fox and the two shows similar style, borrowed jokes, etc etc

Julie Bowen also is incredibly attractive, loved her in Happy Gilmore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom