• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrested Development |OT| Season 4 - May 26 - Netflix Unmakes A Huge Mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Swag

Banned
What the fuck I need moreeereeere
Just finished watching. First 2 episodes sucked balls but then it got great. Shit was hilarious actually.

The history between Fox and the two shows similar style, borrowed jokes, etc etc

Julie Bowen also is incredibly attractive, loved her in Happy Gilmore.

Ah, all you needed to say was Happy Gilmore! She was so hot in that.

What did everyone think of all the John Beard? Was there maybe too much? He was funnier in the quick little spots in the original series.

I don't watch Modern Family at all. Maeby I will at some point, but anyway, I feel like I'm missing something funny about the Julie Bowen gag. Can someone explain it?

Not sure. Its sort of a random occurrence and they both have a thing for her apparently. (She is pretty hot)

Also, I haven't gotten to see it yet, but the latest season finale of MF has an AD reference where Julie Bowen's character says "I've made a huge mistake"

"That just saved me 12 bucks."

You're reading too much into it. :p

Still where'd the lighter fluid come from! Atleast the whole AD 'movie' part between Michael and Andy definitely had some meaning to it.

TUSR

Banned
Ah, all you needed to say was Happy Gilmore! She was so hot in that.

What did everyone think of all the John Beard? Was there maybe too much? He was funnier in the quick little spots in the original series.

His how to catch a predator segment was one of the most hilarious parts of the season.

"Bullshit!"

Also, AD and MF share similar writers. Remember Gary the gay intern? (I want to be inside this poof). He writes for MF now.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1545076/

I'm through episode 7 so far, and I'm loving it. The Gob episode, as expected, was the best one so far, although 4-5-6-7 has been a great stretch. I'm surprised I loved Tobias' episode since he's my least favorite character, but there were some really amazing jokes. ("Hey, I'm not a thing!" "Hey, I am a Thing!") I'm guessing the first three episodes will be better on rewatch, especially since more of the overall plot arcs are coming together. My favorite scenes so far, though, have been any time Michael and Gob have interacted (the bottle scene, and then the boulder scene...both were fucking hilarious).

I'm especially loving the interconnected stories and sight gags they're managing to do. It's really unique to the Netflix format, knowing that something that's a brief throwaway joke in one episode (Debris going back to her old ways and getting into a random party limo) is actually linked to another character in a later episode (it was Gob's limo the whole time!).

I'm trying so hard not to fly through all of them...but I can't stop watching. Which is good. I think season 4's lived up to the hype.

Socreges

Banned
Am I the only one who didn't laugh out loud as much? I found myself impressed by the complexity and layers of everything, but there were long stretches without anything that was all that funny.

If there is another season, I hope they don't do this same narrative style with the focus on one character for 30 minutes. I know it was easier to do this way so that they didn't often have to have everyone in the same place at once, but the show is at its best (imo) when it's bouncing around more. Unfortunately this is probably a permanent solution (unless they just do a movie).

His how to catch a predator segment was one of the most hilarious parts of the season.

"Bullshit!"

Also, AD and MF share similar writers. Remember Gary the gay intern? (I want to be inside this poof). He writes for MF now.

Yes, How to Catch a Predator was awesome. Other than that, he was everywhere. I guess it works because it's the same period of time going on for everyone. Just thought it was a bit much.

Although "Hey look, there's a Racoon in the back yard!" was pretty funny.

Also the Gob and Gary bit was awesome. lolz.

Am I the only one who didn't laugh out loud as much? I found myself impressed by the complexity and layers of everything, but there were long stretches without anything that was all that funny.

Yep, there were sometimes long stretches with no laughs. It was more like a drama at some points, it was still very interesting, but not hilarious at all times. Even if at spots, I did break out laughing quite a bit.

Ryu1999

If there is another season, I hope they don't do this same narrative style with the focus on one character for 30 minutes. I know it was easier to do this way so that they didn't often have to have everyone in the same place at once, but the show is at its best (imo) when it's bouncing around more. Unfortunately this is probably a permanent solution (unless they just do a movie).

I agree with this post. Also, this season just felt much "darker" than the original 3 seasons. Even though the characters were selfish and crazy in the original run, they weren't as mean-spirited as they are now. Even the "nice" characters like Oscar and Lucille 2 were diabolical schemers.

I'm through episode 7 so far, and I'm loving it. The Gob episode, as expected, was the best one so far, although 4-5-6-7 has been a great stretch. I'm surprised I loved Tobias' episode since he's my least favorite character, but there were some really amazing jokes. ("Hey, I'm not a thing!" "Hey, I am a Thing!") I'm guessing the first three episodes will be better on rewatch, especially since more of the overall plot arcs are coming together. My favorite scenes so far, though, have been any time Michael and Gob have interacted (the bottle scene, and then the boulder scene...both were fucking hilarious).

You've got to Get Away, Get Away! Stay Away, Stay Away!
I need this ringtone!

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Yep, there were sometimes long stretches with no laughs. It was more like a drama at some points, it was still very interesting, but not hilarious at all times. Even if at spots, I did break out laughing quite a bit.

Yeah it was weird. There were moments where I was just interested to know what was going to happen next with the characters, but I wasn't laughing.

Not sure. Its sort of a random occurrence and they both have a thing for her apparently. (She is pretty hot)

Also, I haven't gotten to see it yet, but the latest season finale of MF has an AD reference where Julie Bowen's character says "I've made a huge mistake"

Still where'd the lighter fluid come from! Atleast the whole AD 'movie' part between Michael and Andy definitely had some meaning to it.

http://www.uproxx.com/tv/2013/05/modern-family-arrested-development-reference/

That's pretty awesome. Now I can appreciate it more.
and she was super hot in Happy Gilmore.

Yeah it was weird. There were moments where I was just interested to know what was going to happen next with the characters, but I wasn't laughing.

Yep, and that's okay, since we know this is only act 1, and we'll be rewarded for our patience with it. I'm very excited actually about it.

Socreges

Banned
I agree with this post. Also, this season just felt much "darker" than the original 3 seasons. Even though the characters were selfish and crazy in the original run, they weren't as mean-spirited as they are now. Even the "nice" characters like Oscar and Lucille 2 were diabolical schemers.
Sally Sitwell, too. And Ron Howard. Everything was darker.

Part of it, I guess, was the fact that everyone on the family had fallen on hard times. They were always pathetic people, but they weren't in such pathetic circumstances.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Wow, Steve Holt looks older than GOB now.

Socreges

Banned
ALSO. Everyone's a bit uglier now. Lindsay used to be so hot, but now she's just a hot mess. They should've dipped into the Kitty more often.

Zeppu

I think the current character based episodes were completely necessary for a show coming back after all these years.

Everyone is obviously older and the span of time had to be represented somehow. This was an interim/setup season. Now everything normalized again and if they decide to do so they can start progressing linearly if they wanted so.

That being said, I love the format. It's great having everything build up on top of each other, especially since AD is a show where most of the episodes are built on misunderstandings or people acting behind each other's back.

strobogo

Banned
Gob is hotter. He is the only one who really doesn't look like he's aged. You think Michael hasn't until they show clips from season 3.

ALSO. Everyone's a bit uglier now. Lindsay used to be so hot, but now she's just a hot mess. They should've dipped into the Kitty more often.

There were plenty of "Hot Messes" this season. haha. I loved whenever they used that.

I think the current character based episodes were completely necessary for a show coming back after all these years.

Yup. 100%. It's why I hope they can wrap all this up relatively quickly in the next arc so we can get back to everyone being together.

simon-garfunkel-4.gif

mjc

I agree completely. Something was lost by focusing each episode on an individual character. Maybe they should've only had one focus episode per character then plan the rest of the season as regular format episodes.

ivysaur12

Banned
I agree completely. Something was lost by focusing each episode on an individual character. Maybe they should've only had one focus episode per character then plan the rest of the season as regular format episodes.

Again, that was impossible. They only had the entire cast together for two days of shooting.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
'Do you wanna spend the night making revenge love?'

Ann's frown is very cute, too.

Odrion

Banned
Okay, this is easily my favorite season and I'm excited to see Netflix take on more shows. The much darker tone and willingness to actually have repercussions made this season really engaging. Can't wait for season 5.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
"Shot by love" playing in the background when Gob and Tony first meet in the bar after Gobs failed sabotage :p

Just finished the season and quite content by the end. I thought the last half was absolutely hilarious and back to the AD I love. The intricate narrative was brilliant and I can't think of a better way they could have wrapped up 7 years of different storylines. Bring on more!

mattiewheels

On Episode 4 right now, man Portia de Rossi looks waaaaaayyyy worse
Her hair made her look worse at first, but anything that covers up her forehead and she looks nice.

ivysaur12

Banned
@MitchHurwitz
Best thing about the #AD2013 The viewers and the critics have traded places. They're resisting change - you're fighting for it. Wow. Thx

This is true. There's been a weird critical response to non-traditional forms of television. It's been interesting to see the disconnect there.

EDIT: If we're going to really double down on his Preston's douchebaggery (I'm still shocked at the AD stuff), he does pilots "awards" every year.

‏@maskedscheduler
The "He's Your Problem Now" award goes to ABC for "MIND GAMES" #MASKYS

Referring to Kyle Killen, the creator of Mind Games who also created Lone Star for Fox (the critically celebrated show that ended up getting pulled after 2 episodes due to low ratings). Yeesh.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Does anyone know if you can download getaway as a ringtone?

Hope this gets ripped soon. Can't wait to make it my ringtone even though my phone already has plenty AD ringtones. Getting a call and hearing the final countdown and getting a text and hearing Steve Holt! never gets old. I switch between annyong and Steve Holt! for my text ringtone though.

Odrion

Banned
You know what show I want to see Netflix resurrect next? Lucky Louie. C'mon Louis C.K., I know that you're becoming bored with your FX Show. :V

Referring to Kyle Killen, the creator of Mind Games who also created Lone Star for Fox (the critically celebrated show that ended up getting pulled after 2 episodes due to low ratings). Yeesh.

Why do their employers let them say this stuff on twitter? It reflects poorly on them.

mattiewheels

You know what show I want to see Netflix resurrect next? Lucky Louie. C'mon Louis C.K., I know that you're becoming bored with your FX Show. :V
Aww, he can't be more bored with doing a show that let's him do pretty much anything (ie David Lynch character) than he would be doing a sitcom parody.

This is true. There's been a weird critical response to non-traditional forms of television. It's been interesting to see the disconnect there.

This is why I think Battleground didn't get an Emmy nom.

Lone Star made no fucking sense to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom