• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrested Development |OT| Season 4 - May 26 - Netflix Unmakes A Huge Mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Socreges

Banned
It's almost like her face was swollen in the early part of the season - she ends up looking like Heather Graham. She looks like herself in the back half.
More like herself. But in the very least, she's had work done on her nose. That's obvious. Probably her lips and eyelids as well.

Whatever makes her happy, though, and it does fit with her character (there were even a couple jokes talking about her new face). But you can't deny that she's had plastic surgery.

There were actually a lot of jokes directed at Lindsay that came across as a little mean-spirited and really about Portia. It's funny that she's a good sport, clearly, but there were a couple of times where I was like, ouch, that's a little harsh.

Fry

The first few episodes are kind of weak, compared to the rest of the show.

I only really liked the fifth one. About to start the 7th.

big ander

I'm on episode seven and I'm still not really enjoying this new season. It seems like it only rewards the hardcore AD fan, and I can't see anyone who hasn't repeatedly watched the original seasons enjoy this one. It's just reference after reference, none particularly funny, either.

It feels as if the writers gathered together in a room, made a list of fan-favorite moments, and recreated them in season four for no reason in particular. It's pandering. I rolled my eyes as Gob did his "sh-sh-sh-should" schtick twice in one episode, right after doing his "bees!" gag.

I'll finish the season since I consider myself a huge AD fan, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't forcing myself through it.

I didn't think the season was THAT referential. It definitely calls back to jokes and continues runners, but I can't think of one moment of empty reference.

The season is growing on me, rewatching the first episode. Seems to be more enjoyable now that I have the big picture.

Yep, that's what we're trying to convey to everyone here. Mitch did great with this.

Also, it's funny going back and watching the Pilot of the show now. George Michael's voice hadn't matured yet, Maeby's little too, George Sr, still looks exactly the same xD

Fantastical

Death Prophet
The "bees" reference was pretty bad. That was really the only reference I just rolled my eyes, but I saw it before because Netflix put up clips (I didn't like it there either). Touching the car and reacting like the Cornballer burn was kinda meh too.

Lindsay and George Michael are definitely the MVPs of Season 4.

Gob and Maeby come close too.

Sadly my two favorite characters get the least airtime this time. Ah well.

This I actually agree with. It felt like an unnecessary callback, especially when this season already has its own excellent running gags.

However, I think I only feel this way because enough time has passed for it to feel like a cheap callback. The original AD seasons had plenty of gags that ran all the way through them (shoulder rubs, "her?", etc). It's just that now we're seven years on from the last AD season, those old gags feel more like references than clever continuations.

If season 4 had aired right after season 3, I don't think I would have batted an eyelid.

This, this, a BILLION TIMES this!!

The only reason people are bitching about recurring gags from the first 3 seasons are because it's been 7 years since they aired so they think it's just cashing in on nostalgia. If Season 4 came out the year after Season 3 ended, everything would have been just fine and nobody would have bemoaned any of it. It's not like Season 2 didn't have Season 1 callbacks, or Season 3 didn't have Season 2 or even Season 1 callbacks. That's kind of how the show works and one of the reasons people like it so much.

epmode

The only reason people are bitching about recurring gags from the first 3 seasons are because it's been 7 years since they aired so they think it's just cashing in on nostalgia. If Season 4 came out the year after Season 3 ended, everything would have been just fine and nobody would have bemoaned any of it.

No chance. The episode structure is a massive change from the earlier seasons, not to mention how few ensemble scenes there are.

edit: Oh, you're just talking about callbacks. Shrug.

jtb

Banned
I was actually surprised how few running gags were carried over from the first 3 seasons and mildly disappointed that the Final Countdown never actually made an appearance :(

No chance. The episode structure is a massive change from the earlier seasons, not to mention how few ensemble scenes there are.

edit: Oh, you're just talking about callbacks. Shrug.
Yeah I'm just talking about the reoccurring gags, the structure is obviously completely different and, IMO, would not have worked AT ALL as a normal TV season.

I was actually surprised how few running gags were carried over from the first 3 seasons and mildly disappointed that the Final Countdown never actually made an appearance :(

When the girl in the church starts playing the song for GOB's performance/wedding, I was so, so sure that the first chord she hits is the first chord for Final Countdown, but then she stops and starts playing a different song and GOB makes some angry comment, right? As soon as her fingers touched the keys I was expecting to hear FC but it never came D:

I wonder if they couldn't get the rights back and so that was their little callback to it? Or maybe they just wanted to switch up his song and that's why they changed it to Hello Darkness My Old Friend?

Edit: Oh, it DID play? Time for a rewatch!

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
The first one with the bad green screen wasn't the one that they bought from Egg/Gob. It was Oscar's and inspired George Sr. to buy the bigger one after doing a Something search.
Oh. Oh yeah. Makes sense. Still, it was a really obvious green screen. Like a bad Photoshop job really. But it was the only one that stood out at me at all. Any other GS scenes weren't obvious enough for me to be repulsed. Just put off slightly. Like when Erin went down to Florida to get Andy in The Office and did a talking head outside the "house" and it was so obvious. Or a lot of scenes from the last season of Community. (Especially that last tag with Britta and Troy in the alternate timeline.)

Final Countdown totally plays. In fact, I think we hear more of it in this season than we did before, at least in terms of song length. They get up to the guitar solo in the Christian magic act scene.

Erigu

It did, for the Jesus trick.

EDIT: Ninja-ed several times over.

jtb

Banned
yup, just watched the scene again. It's there. false alarm everybody!

scene was a lot funnier than I remember too. GOB definitely had the best two episodes

big ander

Loved this piece of the Seitz review:
Season four’s masterstroke – the element that welds the show’s extreme self-consciousness and (yes!) cornball sincerity — is its decision to build our fears and anxieties about a resurrected Arrested Development right into the master narrative. Rather than pretend it could just pick up where it left off and dust off the characters like so many precious figurines, season four takes time and distance into account. It’s all about elapsed time and lost opportunities, and how families grow apart geographically and emotionally, and make peace with their personal limitations (and their families’), or continue to live in denial, or force some kind of confrontation, or stumble into one, and end up taking baby-duckling steps toward enlightenment. That’s why so many people have described it as sad, or dark, or depressing: It has a heart, but you can see how bruised it is.
I think the thematic elements are going to hit me harder on rewatches. After my first viewing I was numbed a bit, for whatever reason.

Quick

Banned
The green screen stuff didn't bother me so much. I just like that the runtime for each episode is longer than it would be if it were on TV. The worst I've seen so far is the sweat hut. And then there's the scene with Tobias opening the door and the house was wrecked, which wasn't bad, just weird.

I finished episode 5 (pacing myself), and holy fuck Judy Greer. DAMN.

Loved this piece of the Seitz review:

I think the thematic elements are going to hit me harder on rewatches. After my first viewing I was numbed a bit, for whatever reason.

Best piece I've read about it.

I fucking love how Hurwitz took the very real problem of the actors being separated, and built a thematic arc about the characters going through the same thing.

Best piece I've read about it.

I fucking love how Hurwitz took the very real problem of the actors being separated, and built a thematic arc about the characters going through the same thing.

Makes me wonder how long it took him to come up with exactly that, given the material he already had, with the realization he only had Buster for not very long, and all that. It'd be fascinating to see it all drawn out.

robochimp

I'm on episode seven and I'm still not really enjoying this new season. It seems like it only rewards the hardcore AD fan, and I can't see anyone who hasn't repeatedly watched the original seasons enjoy this one. It's just reference after reference, none particularly funny, either.

It feels as if the writers gathered together in a room, made a list of fan-favorite moments, and recreated them in season four for no reason in particular. It's pandering. I rolled my eyes as Gob did his "sh-sh-sh-should" schtick twice in one episode, right after doing his "bees!" gag.

I'll finish the season since I consider myself a huge AD fan, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't forcing myself through it.

Why wouldn't GOB attempt to become a gentleman bee farmer though? Plus it leads us to a great Michael B. company joke.

There are so many new running gags and gags set up in the original run finally getting a payoff.

Like this nod to season 1

Lindsay: I care deeply for nature.
Michael: You're wearing ostrich-skin boots.
Lindsay: Well, I don't care about ostriches.

Mind Blown.

Mitch Hurwitz in 2006:

"It's the determination of the fans and the determination of the critics that has kept this thing alive. It's truly an audience-driven experience. And for me, anyway, if there's a way to continue this in a form that's not weekly episodic series television, I'd be up for it."

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,1178690,00.html

Crazy ol Mitch.

He's awesome. My favorite line had to be, "My brother and I were up in the rafters, we seen the whole thing!"

lol yup that was a gem

could this be a hint that pastor veal was the one who sabotaged Gob's trick? (maybe i'm reaching too much)

PastorVeal_zps3fc6106a.jpg

jtb

Banned
could this be a hint that pastor veal was the one who sabotaged Gob's trick? (maybe i'm reaching too much)

PastorVeal_zps3fc6106a.jpg

almost positive it was Ann. There were screencaps a few pages earlier of her showing that she didn't have the cross on her necklace when she visited GOB in the hospital.

Akahige

Dudes, here's something I just thought of:

Info:
- Rebel reminds Michael of his late wife (red hair, etc.)
- Rebel is an illegitimate child of Ron Howard and ____? We don't know who.
- Ron Howard suggests Rebel for the part even though he doesn't really know Michael's late wife... or does he?
- Ron Howard says: "You know her." Like Michael should know her. Sure she's an actress but one of... not necessarily huge renown, right? so why else might Michael know her?

And a big(?) one:
- Ron Howard also says: "You probably think I'm terrible for even mentioning her to you."

Theory:
- Rebel Alley is the child of Ron Howard and Tracey Bluth
- George Michael is in love with someone related to him again (not cousin... sister? half sister?)
hahaha what the fuck am I reading?

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
a 72 on Metacritic?

I don't see how you could not bee happy with this season. aside from the first few episodes it felt exactly like the first 3 seasons. I guess some people had unrealistic expectations. I mean it's been 6 years off air, it's not going to identical.

Yeah, crazy. I'm the most cynical motherfucker who hates just about everything. Tried doing a marathon rewatch of the original seasons (which i've seen probably a dozen times at this point) and found myself only seeing the bad things. I was totally prepared to dislike this new season.

But it was so good! Definitely a few flat jokes and so-so eps, but hey that's pretty much every tv series. Holistically it was superb and totally on par with how I felt about the original.

Metacritic's gone down to 70 now too. I never put too much stock into MC, but I can see that going up as is the forumla of this show. The question is, will people stick through to the end, or rewatch it?

strobogo

Banned
There were a few scenes where Ann had the cross after the illusion. I don't think it was her and it doesn't even make sense for her to be the one to do that. She fucks him, is elated to marry him, and then sabotages his trick? On top of that, how/why would she know how it was going to go down and what the compartment was?

It probably actually WAS Tony Wonder, but forgot after getting stuck in a roofie circle.

There were a few scenes where Ann had the cross after the illusion. I don't think it was her and it doesn't even make sense for her to be the one to do that. She fucks him, is elated to marry him, and then sabotages his trick? On top of that, how/why would she know how it was going to go down and what the compartment was?

It probably actually WAS Tony Wonder, but forgot after getting stuck in a roofie circle.

Yeah, Ann also seems pretty distraught that he doesn't come back. Also Tony Wonder takes advantage of her after Gob's failure. Seems like Tony was just out to wreck Gob.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom